Obol Question

merciful84

When I give a boss' Orbol to Charon, is it only good for that particular descendant's playthrough or do I have find it again if they die before taking out the remixed boss?

Here's my situation: I'm playing on NG+ and got Ponce de Leon's Orbol before actually defeating him the first time. So now before I can even face his remixed version, I have to defeat Ponce in his original form first. The problem is that I have really weak character class (Spunkette) and he'll kill me in 3 hits.

Is it possible just to let the character die and the Orbol still be in effect if I defeat Ponce de Leon with someone else?

Pretty sure it works for the whole playthrough, but be careful not to overwrite the obol with some other item. They are pretty rare to come through.
Just remember that the remix boss have set characters, so no matter how strong you get, you are still going to have the same challenge everyone else did.

Obols last until you defeat the remix boss. The door will just always be open. Another cool thing is that if you fail the remix fight it respawns you with the same character you had, right outside the door. 

Just give the Obol to Charon, and like Yuri said, don't pick up another item on that run. 

Edited by Hemiak

2 hours ago, TheYuriG said:

Pretty sure it works for the whole playthrough, but be careful not to overwrite the obol with some other item. They are pretty rare to come through.
Just remember that the remix boss have set characters, so no matter how strong you get, you are still going to have the same challenge everyone else did.

37 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

Obols last until you defeat the remix boss. The door will just always be open. Another cool thing is that if you fail the remix fight it respawns you with the same character you had, right outside the door. 

Just give the Obol to Charon, and like Yuri said, don't pick up another item on that run. 

Thanks for the responses. Managed to take old Poncey out with a Hokage and now I'm fighting his pissed off (and more difficult) cousin, Ponce de Freon. :P

4 minutes ago, merciful84 said:

Thanks for the responses. Managed to take old Poncey out with a Hokage and now I'm fighting his pissed off (and more difficult) cousin, Ponce de Freon. :P

In my humble opinion, that was the hardest boss fight of them all. Every other fight is either cheesable (skull + gemini), quicker to learn (eye) or possible to brute force through (eye + slime). All you need to know is that the remix boss you are facing is not a fight, but a survival. Your goal is not to kill him as fast as possible, but to avoid damage as much as you can. His health is huge, you are going to be there for a long run. Double dash is godsent.

Edited by TheYuriG

I personally found Ponce to be the 2nd easiest Remix boss. Like Yuri said though, it's definitely not a race. 

Once you figure out his movements he is not the problem, it's the fireballs and the damn near-invisible spikes on the wall (or whatever they are) Figure out how to bait him into moving where you want him, whack him 2 or 3 times and repeat. You can easily get around half his health on the first pass across the screen doing this, and then just whittle him down slowly after that. 

I'm pretty sure I got him 3rd try this way. 

18 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

In my humble opinion, that was the hardest boss fight of them all. Every other fight is either cheesable (skull + gemini), quicker to learn (eye) or possible to brute force through (eye + slime). All you need to know is that the remix boss you are facing is not a fight, but a survival. Your goal is not to kill him as fast as possible, but to avoid damage as much as you can. His health is huge, you are going to be there for a long run. Double dash is godsent.

10 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

I personally found Ponce to be the 2nd easiest Remix boss. Like Yuri said though, it's definitely not a race. 

Once you figure out his movements he is not the problem, it's the fireballs and the damn near-invisible spikes on the wall (or whatever they are) Figure out how to bait him into moving where you want him, whack him 2 or 3 times and repeat. You can easily get around half his health on the first pass across the screen doing this, and then just whittle him down slowly after that. 

I'm pretty sure I got him 3rd try this way. 

Yeah I've definitely figured that much out. This is my fourth remix boss fight (Khadir, Asteroids, Alexander). He seems much like the other ones...beatable with patience and stubborn persistence. I've gotten pretty close to taking Ponce de Freon down with a hit and run strategy. I usually die either from mis-anticipating one of his dodge attacks or landing on a fireball that was off screen when I jumped down.

18 hours ago, merciful84 said:

Yeah I've definitely figured that much out. This is my fourth remix boss fight (Khadir, Asteroids, Alexander). He seems much like the other ones...beatable with patience and stubborn persistence. I've gotten pretty close to taking Ponce de Freon down with a hit and run strategy. I usually die either from mis-anticipating one of his dodge attacks or landing on a fireball that was off screen when I jumped down.

You can avoid the fireball problem by drawing a circle around the stage. But on the top and bottom parts, you can make use of your extra jumps/double dash to pass twice. That way when you start goind down, the fireballs will start disappearing.

His dash attack is a problem, it took me a few tries to learn how to calculate the distance correctly.

Also, for me the hardest boss was remix'd Alexander. That level was pure chaos.

• Like 1