Any tips for Zombie mode?

On 14.12.2016 at 9:41 PM, DPJUST14 said:

Although I still haven´t played this Zombies installment, I watched quite a lot of gameplay of Zombies in Spaceland from some Zombies youtubers since release date and I consider that I have quite a bit of experience in COD: Zombies in general, so I can give you some tips/advice that generally apply for all of the COD: Zombies installment (that is, Treyarch Zombies, Exo-Zombies and IW Zombies):

• Try to gather as many points as you can on the early rounds, also known as "point optimization", and you do this by effectively learning to use your knife (as each melee kill gives you 130 points) and using it in conjuction with the starting pistol (I think is the Kendall 45 in IW Zombies? correct me if I´m wrong), which is weak compared to other guns, so you can, for example, shoot 4 bullets on a zombie´s leg and then killing them with a melee attack, giving you 40+130=170 points per kill on round 1, then 8 shoots on the leg plus melee kill gives you 80+130=210 points and so on.

• As a complement to the previous point, be careful with the melee lunge animation, as it can bring you close to a zombie, which gives it the chance of hitting and potentially killing you. You can counter this by not moving forward with the left stick while pressing the melee attack button (R3 by default) and/or moving slightly backwards while doing a melee attack. By doing that, the melee lung animation will not trigger, and you´ll be safer while trying to maximize you points.

• Take your time to properly learn the map. Knowing all the important places in a map, like wall weapons and Perk-a-Cola/Chewing Gum machine locations, escape routes, traps and especially training spots, can save your life if you identify and use them properly.

• Speaking of which, have you ever seen those very-high rounds videos of Zombies on Youtube and wondered how they managed to pull those off? Well, although wonder weapons and traps take care of the killing part on some maps, quite a big portion of it resides in the ability to properly "train" (also known as "kiting") around zombies. The COD Zombies´ Zombie AI has improved a LOT since World at War, their major rewamps and improvements being AW´s Exo Zombies and, most importantly, BO3 Zombies, which has sprinting zombies on round 2! But, even with their increase in speed and agressiveness, the Zombie AI is quite predictable, which gives room to management and control of the horde. Always keep on the move, moving in circles/ovals in a big or open enough area. First try to not get killed, then try to not get hit thrice, then twice, then once, and finally try to not get hit at all while you train. That way you´ll always be aware of your surroundings and the danger it may present to you, thanks to the increased reaction time you´ll develop.

• Choose your Chewing Gum perks carefully depending on the situation. IW Zombies makes an improvement to the overall perk system that has existed since World at War´s Verruckt, adding the ability to carry 5 perks (as opposed to Treyarch and AW Zombies´s 4, so you have a little bit wider room for which perks you´ll pick) and the fan-requested perk refunding capability, which makes possible to get rid of a perk that you may not need anymore, like the perk that gives you more melee damage (Slappy Taffy), useful on the early rounds, but not so much on round 25 and onwards. As you said that this is the first Zombies mode you´ve played on a COD game, I´d recommend picking:

1- Up n´Atoms: IW´s version of Treyarch´s Quick Revive. Gives you a self revive and can only be bought 3 times on solo. 50% faster revive time on Co-Op.

2- Tuff Nuff: IW´s version of Treyarch´s Juggernog. Increases base health from 3 to 5 hits (+66.7%).

3- Bang Bangs: IW´s version of Treyarch´s Double Tap II. Increases fire rate by ~25% and duplicates every bullet you shoot, effectively doubling the damage (only ballistic and laser weapons apply for the bullet duplication damage boost, not launchers or explosives).

4- Quickies: IW´s upgraded version of Treyarch´s Speed Cola. Increases reload, weapon switch, barrier rebuilding and arcade machine ball launching speed by 50%.

5- Your pick. In Treyarch zombies, the perk limit was always 4, so in a solo (or even Co-Op) match, carrying the 4 base perks was always a good idea in almost all situations, but now that IW upped the perk limit to 5, you can buy an extra perk to enhance your survival probabilities in IW Zombies. You can, for example, buy Slappy Taffy to increase your melee damage, and then, when it stops killing zombies in one hit, you can refund it on it´s machine and then buy, say, Racing Stripes, which increases your sprint speed and duration, making proper training easier.

• Do Not overuse the Mystery Box (or Magic Wheel here in IW Zombies). You can always use a good (or even average) wall weapon in the early rounds to kill zombies and make points (remember to always aim to the head), and even not-so-early rounds by Pack-a-Punching that weapon, like the M1 on the spawn area; instead of spamming and wasting thousand of points trying to get an Assault Rifle or LMG, which would be better invested on buying useful perks and/or opening up the map.

Wow, that was a lot, didn´t it? But I just covered the basics of COD: Zombies in this long post, I haven´t even started to explain how to craft Wonder Weapons, using traps, doing the Easter Egg, unlocking David Hasselhoff and the rest of "advanced" tips this game mode has to offer. Don´t feel overwhelmed, though. This is a very fun and engaging game mode that can make you spend dozens of hours trying to beat your best round, as it did with me. I also hope that IW makes a good job with this zombies mode in this upcoming DLC season, too.

For more tips and advices (that I couldn´t cover here), check out the amazing guides made by fellow COD: Zombies fans over at Reddit on their community.driven wiki:

https://goo.gl/eJiFSV

Hope that helps!!!

Thank you for taking your time and  writing this. I am pretty sure it will come handy. I really appreciate your effort!

1 hour ago, stitchesnscars said:

I thought that i had read somewhere that it was possible to complete  this zombie mode by yourself and get the trophies is this true? The zombie mode has always been the thing that would  stop me from tying to complete any previous installments that have this mode. 

It is possible and get the trophies. However, that would be waaaaaaaaaay too hard to do

16 hours ago, stitchesnscars said:

I thought that i had read somewhere that it was possible to complete  this zombie mode by yourself and get the trophies is this true? The zombie mode has always been the thing that would  stop me from tying to complete any previous installments that have this mode. 

Yeah, It's possible! Actually that was one of the promises Infinity Ward made to the Zombies players wary of how their take in the game mode they love would perform: to take the steps Treyarch took regarding Easter Eggs and solo players that begun in Black Ops 3' DLC 1: Awakening/Der Eisendrache, and further improve upon that to make solo players' experience better balanced and fun. As far as the game's year cycle goes (with the first DLC coming in January), the main Easter Egg is possible in solo and, if IW sticks to their promise, the upcoming 4 Zombies maps (one for each DLC) will be possible too. How the difficulty scaling will be managed in those future maps remains to be seen, though.

15 hours ago, MilanYildirim said:

It is possible and get the trophies. However, that would be waaaaaaaaaay too hard to do

Yep, having a good team and communication is key in every Co-Op game, obviously, but especially more so in Zombies, which has Easter Eggs/Quests that require a whole other level of coordination, patience, and even skill to accomplish.

A curious fact: Prior to Patch 1.04 (I think), the difficulty scaling for the Final Boss Fight in Zombies in Spaceland was either bugged, glitched, bad implemented or not working at all, beacuse the solo version of it was reasonably hard (not easy, but certainly manageable), but in 4-players' Co-Op was a nightmare, almost impossible to pull off by even the most skilled players and Zombies youtubers out there. So, this Easter Egg was way easier in solo than Co-Op. Something unthinkable in, say, World at War and Black Ops 1 and 2 Zombies maps, which didn't even had solo main Easter Eggs (except BO1' Call of the Dead). IW noticed this, and patched it before the end of November, but, as you might suspect, it caused a lot of complaining and problems across the community, especially for the Co-Op team players, who were the most affected by this.

Skip to 16:00 to see the pre-patch Boss Fight in action (this is also one of the best video tutorials for this Easter Egg, thanks to MrRoflWaffles):

15 hours ago, MilanYildirim said:

Thank you for taking your time and  writing this. I am pretty sure it will come handy. I really appreciate your effort!

No problem, mate. It took me more than an hour to create that big post (ordering my ideas, checking facts/sources, correcting the grammar), but, if it helped you in the end (even just a little bit) it's totally worth it. Glad I helped.

Edited by DPJUST14
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm not a big CoD zombie player myself and I'm glad for the tips here. 

Before I start the game I was wondering how much time the zombie trophies take approximately? There's no guide for the main game (yet) and even when there is I doubt it'll list a separate time for zombies. 

This is a small tip that i dont think was mentioned. Always try leave 1 zombie at the end of each round so you can buy the stuff you need like perks and weapons and give you chance explore the map so you know were things are without a hord of zombies breathing down your neck. 

Edited by nuta1
  • Like 1