DO NOT INSTALL STARDEW VALLEY ON PS4 PRO

Omar

A big word of warning here! 

Two days ago, when I started playing Stardew Valley, my PS4 Pro started to act up, but I didn't attach the issues to the game being on my system. Today, I was doing some research on Twitter and GAF and found other people with the same issues I had, all triggered by Stardew Valley. I will outline the risks you face:

1- Rest Mode is frozen, meaning the system is forever accessing it while Stardew Valley is in your PS4 Pro HDD. A hard reset is the only way out of this and the system may be irreparably damaged from one.

2- Share functions and booting other apps and games are two procedures hindered by booting Stardew Valley beforehand. The system is forever loading games up or trying to save a screenshot. Turning the system off post-playing Stardew Valley also takes forever, resulting in a faulty turn-off (3 beeps upon turn-off)

3- Turning your TV off while the PS4 Pro is on and then turning your TV back on results in having audio but no video on the TV, unless you turn the system off AND unplug it, then plug it back in and turn it back on.

A game so small (~300MB) touching on OS feature performance is A BIG RED FLAG. Damage caused to the PS4 Pro's database could end up being irreparable so I would advise you all to stay away from Stardew Valley until a fix is provided. I have notified the devs of the issue via Twitter. To prove that the game is the factor causing issues, I uninstalled it from my Pro and now EVERYTHING works: Rest Mode, booting game after game, sharing on them, etc....

If you have other issues share them here, and if you have been having trouble I hope this helps you out ^^

EDIT - here's the word of another user experiencing the very same issues I outlined above - http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=226627344

EDIT #2 - Apparently, downloading and installing Stardew Valley without booting it up for a first time is safe for your system. I would still recommend to wait for a fix before downloading, the game is very small so it'll take seconds to download anyway ^^

EDIT #3 - PSNP's very own Parker attests that he isn't suffering from issues 1 and 2 on his PS4 Pro, which has its pre-installed HDD in it. This could mean the degree of the issue is varying within PS4 Pro systems or even could not happen at all, although we're still yet to find a PS4 Pro user with the original HDD in it who hasn't had ANY issues. 

Edited by Omar
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Omar said:

3- Turning your TV off while the PS4 Pro is on and then turning your TV back on results in having audio but no video on the TV, unless you turn the system off AND unplug it, then plug it back in and turn it back on.

This issue may be unrelated to the game. I've had this issue on my PS4 Casual since I got it. Usually going on remote play from my vita and then resetting the PS4 would fix the issue.

Edited by Urushiro

40 minutes ago, Xeliot said:

Just saw you tweeting about it :lol: Looks like Sony doesn't do QA anymore.

I was legit shocked, never expected such a small game to wreak such havoc! xD

38 minutes ago, Urushiro said:

This issue may be unrelated to the game. I've had this issue on my PS4 Casual since I got it. Usually going on remote play from my vita and then resetting the PS4 would fix the issue.

The reason why I list it is because it started happening to me when I got Stardew Valley and stopped after deleting it. Could be just coincidental and it may be unrelated though :D

• Like 1

Just now, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

Eighth Generation: The definitive generation of publishing games in an incomplete and/or broken status, and then patching it later after they've already taken your money. Seventh Generation had a few of these, but not that many. This generation tho...

I am seriously starting to consider dropping the concept of playing games at launch..... -______-

Don't forget if you wait like a month only, most likely the game will have a sale on it. Look at Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition: $79.99 at launch on November 4th, and 20 days later, just under 3 weeks, it's on sale for $59.96 cheapest. Skyrim: Special Edition 26 days later was on sale 60% off. Battlefield 1, also 26 days later, was on sale for $27 dollars. Hell, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 Digital Deluxe Editions were $75 bundled for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and the Deluxe Edition of just 1 of those games alone is $70. 

I know those were Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, but often times retailers will get too many copies of a game and then put it on sale after all preorders have been picked up and sales start to drop off. Target usually offers $10-15 gift cards with the purchase, Toys R Us put a lot of new games as Buy 1 Get 1 40% off, Best Buy has $20 off sales often, and even Gamestop right now is having a $20 off sale. Sure, you don't get to play the game right away and some spoilers might be seen, so multiplayer might be crowded with people already at 10th prestige while you're just starting out, but you just saved $20-40 on the same game those guys paid full price for at launch. Pluuuuuuus there's usually at least one or two patches out after 3-4 weeks of games' releases (IW had 4 in less than 2 weeks), so games are usually in better shape and play smoother too, allowing for a better experience.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Omar said:

I am seriously starting to consider dropping the concept of playing games at launch..... -______-

Thanks for this warning Omar, I was going to pick it up today and get into it. I agree I started Aqua Moto Racing on the Pro and had to abandon it for constant crashing. It's a real shame. Guess just waiting a few months and coming back when it is all sorted is the best plan these days 

• Like 1

Op can you confirm the problems lie with installing the game?  I have had it installed for over 24 hours on my pro and have not had any problems.  I don't think installing the game is causing any problems but I could be wrong so please confirm.  Also:

45 minutes ago, fastflowdaman said:

AND PLEASE STOP SHOUTING. It's attention-whorey und unnecessary. If your post has any value, it will get read. Even if it doesn't.

LOL, Wut?

Edit:  I have had the game installed for over 24 hours but I have yet to launch it so maybe the install is not the problem but launching it is?

Edited by angelgrievous
some stuff that may be pertinent.

3 hours ago, Omar said:

This is without a doubt the best way to deal with this whole situation. Personally i only trust Naughty Dog and Quantic Dream of all publishers, the rest were proven to be unreliable more or less. Also if you are patient enough it makes sense to simply wait for the entire game to be released as GOTY or complete edition, where you will get not only a full but a glitchless product.

Also here is a good read on the subject http://kotaku.com/i-like-to-buy-games-on-day-one-this-post-originally-ap-1719690013

7 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

Thanks for this warning Omar, I was going to pick it up today and get into it. I agree I started Aqua Moto Racing on the Pro and had to abandon it for constant crashing. It's a real shame. Guess just waiting a few months and coming back when it is all sorted is the best plan these days 

You are welcome, I am happy to help others avoid the issues I had :D

7 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

You have to remember that this is all done by just one guy, I'm amazed there aren't more problems.

As much as I consider that an impressive feat, it can't be used as a justification. The game almost broke my system and whether done by one or by many, there is no right for me to go through that as a customer. Every game has to be tested before release to meet playabilty standards, regardless of team size.

6 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

AND PLEASE STOP SHOUTING. It's attention-whorey und unnecessary. If your post has any value, it will get read. Even if it doesn't.

Oh yeah, I almost lost my 400-euro console only a month after buying it for something that can be easily avoided and I want as many people as possible to not go through the ordeal I went through yesterday and it's attention what I seek, right? My console would not turn on yesterday, enough of a warning to justify the use of capitals. If you don't like capitals, hey, the forums are a vast place: look elsewhere, and have a great day xD

3 hours ago, Salt_AU said:

I have been playing it since launch on a PS4 Pro and haven't had an issue.  I did upgrade the Pro to a 2tb HD but other than that its as it came in the box.

Apparently, the issue happens with the built-in HDD. I can absolutely confirm the presence of the game in the system triggers all the issues I described, but I can't confirm it works on 100% of the PS4 Pro systems out there. A bunch of people on Twitter and NeoGAF reported on it so I know I'm not alone. In your case you may be fine and whoever wants to take the risk can do so but the warning is there. At least if issues happen you will know it's likely because of the game :) 

6 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Op can you confirm the problems lie with installing the game?  I have had it installed for over 24 hours on my pro and have not had any problems.  I don't think installing the game is causing any problems but I could be wrong so please confirm.

Forgot to quote this one: I can only confirm that, once the game is booted up, issues will remain even if the game played isn't Stardew Valley, and the only way for them to be gone is uninstalling the game. However, maybe downloading it without ever installing it may also be a safe scenario, thank you for the info :)

Edited by Omar

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

If it's only a month since you bought it, at least you're still under warranty if it had broken it

Technically, every PS4 Pro owner is under the same situation (system released on Nov 11) but if it can be avoided, I may as well throw a heads-up for everybody so that they don't have to take the risk if they don't want to. Definitely good to know this doesn't seem to be a problem on regular PS4 or PS4 Slim systems :D