DO NOT INSTALL STARDEW VALLEY ON PS4 PRO

Omar

I've had issues with my PS4 Pro as well. I haven't tested any of the other things in the OP, but I can confirm the loss of video when Stardew Valley is running and you switch inputs. Right now I have my PC and PS4 Pro running on the same monitor and if I switch inputs to do something on my PC and then switch back to my PS4 I have no video but the audio works fine. I was able to get the system to turn off by holding the power button but the only way I was able to restore video was to put the system in safe mode and change the resolution. I've tested it multiple times and it always happens. I adore the game but I won't be playing it on my PS4 anymore until that issue is fixed. 

Also, I believe the port was done by Chucklefish, ConcernedApe only develops the PC version and has nothing to do with the consoles. I could be wrong but I believe that is what I read. 

Parker

• Like 1

A patch is in the works.  I haven't played the game I just went ahead and uninstalled it.

http://stardewvalley.net/

Hi everyone,

An important patch for the console versions is in the works.  I will let you know when it goes live, but in the meantime I’d like to share these patch notes with you:

Xbox One:

– Performance improvements for periodic hitching and freezes.
– Fixed Junimo harvesters not path finding.
– Fixed About button (?) to be unclickable during main menu transitions.
– Fixed crash when sleeping if you built a Junimo Hut and the Witch visits you.
– Fixed a crash when sleeping that would prevent a player from advancing past year 1, day 28.
– Moved in some HUD elements that were too close to the edge of the screen.
– The LT and RT buttons can now be used to switch buildings in carpenter menu.
– The shipping menu can now be closed by pressing the VIEW button.
– The B button can now be used to close Grandpa’s letter.
– B button now goes back one page when you’re in a specific bundle of the Junimo menu.
– B button now returns a held item to your inventory in Bundle menu in the Community Center.
– Made harvesting easier by also checking beneath the player when pressing the A button.
– Cursor position will no longer affect item placement if it is currently invisible.
– We now show the ground placement indicator for seeds, like other objects.
– Fixed incorrect tool hit location in some situations.
– X button can now be held down to auto-repeat while in menus.
– Cursor will no longer interact with HUD menus if it is currently invisible.
– Fixed toolbar becoming stuck partially transparent.
– The VIEW button can now be used to advance the “Level Up” dialog.
– Fixed some cases of the game becoming stuck after using “Exit to Title”.

Playstation 4:

– Fixed crash sleeping on 3rd or 4th day when playing with OS in non-English languages (German, Portuguese).
– Fixed About button (?) to be unclickable during main menu transitions.
– Fixed crash when sleeping if you built a Junimo Hut and the Witch visits you.
– Fixed a crash when sleeping that would prevent a player from advancing past year 1, day 28.
– Moved in some HUD elements that were too close to the edge of the screen.
– The L2 and R2 buttons can now be used to switch buildings in carpenter menu.
– The shipping menu can now be closed by pressing the TOUCH PAD button.
– The CIRCLE button can now be used to close Grandpa’s letter.
– CIRCLE button now goes back one page when you’re in a specific bundle of the Junimo menu.
– CIRCLE button now returns a held item to your inventory in Bundle menu in the Community Center.
– Made harvesting easier by also checking beneath the player when pressing the CROSS button.
– Cursor position will no longer affect item placement if it is currently invisible.
– We now show the ground placement indicator for seeds, like other objects.
– Fixed incorrect tool hit location in some situations.
– SQUARE button can now be held down to auto-repeat while in menus.
– Cursor will no longer interact with HUD menus if it is currently invisible.
– Fixed toolbar becoming stuck partially transparent.
– The TOUCH PAD button can now be used to advance the “Level Up” dialog.
– Fixed some cases of the game becoming stuck after using “Exit to Title”.

In summary, the major crashes will be fixed, performance on Xbox will be improved, the HUD elements that are cut off should be positioned correctly, and the controls will be improved a bit. There will also be more updates/patches in the future to improve these versions further.

Thanks for playing Stardew Valley and I hope you have a nice weekend

-ConcernedApe

3 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

A patch is in the works.  I haven't played the game I just went ahead and uninstalled it.

Heh, I was creating a thread specifically for this patch (and future patches) when you posted this. Hopefully it fixes the video issue because that is my main problem. 

Parker

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parker said:

Heh, I was creating a thread specifically for this patch (and future patches) when you posted this. Hopefully it fixes the video issue because that is my main problem. 

Parker

Oh crap, you want me to delete it?  I'd rather just keep the info in your thread but if it doesn't matter then I won't bother.

42 minutes ago, Parker said:

I've had issues with my PS4 Pro as well. I haven't tested any of the other things in the OP, but I can confirm the loss of video when Stardew Valley is running and you switch inputs. Right now I have my PC and PS4 Pro running on the same monitor and if I switch inputs to do something on my PC and then switch back to my PS4 I have no video but the audio works fine. I was able to get the system to turn off by holding the power button but the only way I was able to restore video was to put the system in safe mode and change the resolution. I've tested it multiple times and it always happens. I adore the game but I won't be playing it on my PS4 anymore until that issue is fixed. 

Also, I believe the port was done by Chucklefish, ConcernedApe only develops the PC version and has nothing to do with the consoles. I could be wrong but I believe that is what I read. 

Parker

This is how I encountered the problem, same monitor for PC and PS4 Pro, switching TV off or changing from one to the other resulted in no video, but I couldn't attach the issue to SV until I saw others have the same problem, which motivated me to create the thread for warning. Also, the PS4 port is a collab between Chucklefish, ConcernedApe and Sickhead Games.

36 minutes ago, barrymcg said:

Quick question, Does this game support HDR at native 4k?

I don't think it does but I'm not too well-versed on the subject.

35 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

The problem is that, if you go through those patch notes, there is no addressing of the PS4 Pro severe issues that are caused to the system, not the game's performance. A GAF member has created a thread in the SV forums and still hasn't received answer and my plight on Twitter is also unnoticed. They still haven't acknowledged the issue but I assume they will do so in due time. Thank you for sharing :D

Edited by Omar
  • Like 1

Update

PS4 Pro (although I have upgraded the HD to 2tb)

Not one single issue in about 30 hours.  After reading this post which I appreciate I have even tried to break it :( put the game is rest mode, stopped it and booted up another game, turned it off and on, everything except using the same monitor for a PC and the PS4 which I don't do.  I have the PS4 connected to a 4k TV, the PC is completely seperate.

Edited by Salt_AU

9 hours ago, Slipknot_rooney said:

Ha! I wish! Come to rural Ireland... 1.6mbps here. Lucky me...

On a more positive note, nice job on giving everyone a warning. You the real MVP! :highfive:

Hahahaha I also have poor connection at the moment (3.2mbps, subject to change very soon) and the game took like 10 minutes, so a 20-minute download for you, not too bad! 

Also thanks, I'm glad as long as people can avoid potential issues with their brand new consoles ^^

5 hours ago, Salt_AU said:

Update

PS4 Pro (although I have upgraded the HD to 2tb)

Not one single issue in about 30 hours.  After reading this post which I appreciate I have even tried to break it :( put the game is rest mode, stopped it and booted up another game, turned it off and on, everything except using the same monitor for a PC and the PS4 which I don't do.  I have the PS4 connected to a 4k TV, the PC is completely seperate.

This is good to know, because it seems to trigger issues only on the pre-installed HDD the Pro has. I keep finding Pro users running into the issue, counting up to about 30 doing some digging, the problem is slowly getting out there luckily. Let's cross your fingers for smooth sailing on your Pro! Please let us know if any issues occur :D 

I've been hearing about a lot of performance issues with the PS4 Pro which people haven't encountered on the regular PS4. I have to say, it's gotten me rather worried about the Pro. I don't have any intentions of getting one any time soon, since I don't have a 4K TV, and my 3 year old launch PS4 still works perfectly fine. But it's still really disappointing to keep hearing about all these kinks with a supposedly upgraded piece of hardware from the standard model. I really don't get how a 300mb indie game can brick a console.

I've been having a blast with Stardew Valley since Wednesday, about 17 or so hours in so far, haven't encountered any problems yet.

Really sucks you've been having such major issues with such a small (in terms of the install size) game though. Hopefully the issues do eventually get sorted out, and I hope your PS4 Pro hasn't died completely, though if it has, at least the silver lining is that it's still under warranty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

I've been hearing about a lot of performance issues with the PS4 Pro which people haven't encountered on the regular PS4. I have to say, it's gotten me rather worried about the Pro. I don't have any intentions of getting one any time soon, since I don't have a 4K TV, and my 3 year old launch PS4 still works perfectly fine. But it's still really disappointing to keep hearing about all these kinks with a supposedly upgraded piece of hardware from the standard model. I really don't get how a 300mb indie game can brick a console.

I've been having a blast with Stardew Valley since Wednesday, about 17 or so hours in so far, haven't encountered any problems yet.

Really sucks you've been having such major issues with such a small (in terms of the install size) game though. Hopefully the issues do eventually get sorted out, and I hope your PS4 Pro hasn't died completely, though if it has, at least the silver lining is that it's still under warranty.

The problem here isn't really with the PS4 Pro. As a system, and much like every other system, games need testing on their target platforms. Apparently, little to no QA has been done on a PS4 Pro, meaning these issues are breaking news for both players and Stardew Valley devs. Given the size of the teams at work, the problems are kind of understandable, but if this had happened to a big dev, it would be labeled as one major oversight on the dev's part, to the extent of possibly even justifying a refund. The problem with Chucklefish here is that they went for the principle that "PS4 = PS4 Pro" when it isn't entirely the case.

The issues triggered by the game are luckily present only for as long as the game is in the system after having started it. Ever since I deleted it, my PS4 Pro has been working spotlessly, jumping in and out of Rest Mode, from game to game and with all share features running perfectly. I am also able to switch the TV off and the video isn't gone upon turning it back on. Luckily for me, the system is unscathed, but people panicking and pulling their plugs due to a system freeze may ruin their console's database.

For what it's worth, even with the game installed on my PS4 Pro (which has the stock HDD) I have no issues with rest mode, stuttering and all my other games work fine. I can still switch inputs with other games running, the only issue I have is switching inputs with Stardew Valley running. 

Parker

• Like 1