Batman TTS Final Thoughts

SuperSaiyan3985

Hey everyone so the spectacular conclusion to Season 1 of Batman is here! I just have to say how absolutely satisfied I am with this game, easily my favorite interpretation of Batman's story yet. Episode 5 was intense as hell, but with that being said how do you all feel now that it's completed? Bring on a Season 2!

• Like 1

I liked it, but I am a bit of a Batman purist, and so I didn't like some of the liberties they took with the Wayne backstory, especially since Bruce becoming Batman was in large part because of the circumstances surrounding the death of his parents. And for Telltale to interpret it the way they did, I just feel it takes away from the purity of what Batman was supposed to represent.

Hopefully, that didn't give any spoilers, lol.

On the whole though, I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to Season 2. The story was compellng, and I am interested in seeing what happens next.

3 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

I liked it, but I am a bit of a Batman purist, and so I didn't like some of the liberties they took with the Wayne backstory, especially since Bruce becoming Batman was in large part because of the circumstances surrounding the death of his parents. And for Telltale to interpret it the way they did, I just feel it takes away from the purity of what Batman was supposed to represent.

Hopefully, that didn't give any spoilers, lol.

On the whole though, I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to Season 2. The story was compellng, and I am interested in seeing what happens next.

But that's the point you see, to explore a version of Batman people haven't seen yet.

• Like 1

While I'm not always a fan of such liberties being taken when it comes to series that I've enjoyed for so long, I think this is the first time when I've just totally accepted it.

They've done a fine job at fleshing out a fine storyline to a series we've seen origin stories to hundreds of times over -- and I felt that they did a good job catering to fans of the comic in the same sense that the Arkham series had catered to fans of the Animated Series.

Best Telltale game? Far from it. The Wolf Among Us is my favorite by far. But it's definitely one I'll gladly pick up a retail copy of when Season Two rolls around.

Just now, MajroasMask said:

I liked it but I didn't love it. I'm looking forward to season two though. I feel like this was a good introduction to what could become a fantastic Telltale series. I'm curious to see who they will be adding villain wise (other than the Joker obviously).

So what is it that stopped you from loving it? Because I honestly can't find a reason why.

6 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

So what is it that stopped you from loving it? Because I honestly can't find a reason why.

I just felt like... nothing really stood out? I thought the twist with the Wayne's was interesting and I thought the game was enjoyable but nothing really blew me away and I never really felt like the story hooked me; I mainly continued playing it just because I love Batman (do not let the Venom icon fool you).

Another (personal) thing is that I am a huge fan of the villains in Batman and none of the villains that I really like were in this season other than Catwoman.

As I said, I think this was a good introduction and I feel like season two will be interesting but it's not my favorite Batman or Telltale game.

Got some sleep and thought it over; I think I know what it is that felt off for me.

With the exception of the introduction scene of the game, there isn't an instance where anyone fears the Batman.

Pretty sure that's always been a major component to his character and what makes him work. Instead, everyone is rather standoffish to him, be it criminals or even standard beat cops.

Maybe if they had more of those "out of the shadows" kind of moments, it'd have more of an impact on people.

Truth be told, however, I did choose to take the Bruce Wayne approach whenever possible -- but I guess that was more so to cater to "improving the Wayne image", damage control kind of thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KitsuneChaos said:

With the exception of the introduction scene of the game, there isn't an instance where anyone fears the Batman.

Pretty sure that's always been a major component to his character and what makes him work. Instead, everyone is rather standoffish to him, be it criminals or even standard beat cops.

This is a good point too. 

6 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

You know I think what made this game such a hit for me was the fact that it was my first Telltale Game. I see that many of you have played many others prior to it so you had your criticisms. 

I think this is definitely true. The Telltale narrative is pretty effective once, but they've basically stagnated since Walking Dead Season 1 in terms of writing, decisions, animations, engine, etc. If you've played one of these games you have a pretty good idea how all the choices you make will turn out which despite the different setdressing, which makes the stories feel samey. You're basically deciding who you want to be nice or mad at you throughout the game, which doesn't really ever amount to anything.

It's all a trick and the only thing really holding the narrative together is the quality of the writing, which I think for the most part has gone down since Walking Dead S1 and Wolf Among Us. Maybe it's their rushed schedule, maybe they've just run out of ideas, I'm not sure. Although I also think this last episode was written particularly poorly even with the above being true. The whole scene in the basement had me dumbfounded at how poor the dialogue, "hidden message" and origin story of the villain was.

• Like 4

Do not read this if you haven't played as it is going to contain some spoilers.

Well, it's a Batman game so pretty much impossible to be a bad game. I liked it. Especially how Batman and Joker were kind of partners. Talking shit about Wayne family was utter bullshit though. One thing Telltale must understand is that, you don't need to doom the Protagonist you know. 
Telltale's Batman is closest thing they have ever done to TWAU so l loved it. Kicking ass and being dedective is my kind of fun.
Lastly, l am sad that it did not work with Catwoman but at least l had my fun with her. From the moment l saw her ass in leather pants l knew l was going to get some.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2016 at 0:27 PM, TKdovahkiin said:

LOVED it! The detective work. Batman as HERO. Relationship and communication aspects. 

I'm not all that familiar with Batman's stories. The humor in lego stories made me like him. Telltale sent me searching for more. I'd love more seasons. Reminded me of Wolf Among Us because of the main character.

I AM BATMAN. 

Want to REALLY become the Batman? I suggest you play an Arkham game!

On 12/18/2016 at 2:55 PM, MilanYildirim said:

Do not read this if you haven't played as it is going to contain some spoilers.

Well, it's a Batman game so pretty much impossible to be a bad game. I liked it. Especially how Batman and Joker were kind of partners. Talking shit about Wayne family was utter bullshit though. One thing Telltale must understand is that, you don't need to doom the Protagonist you know. 
Telltale's Batman is closest thing they have ever done to TWAU so l loved it. Kicking ass and being dedective is my kind of fun.
Lastly, l am sad that it did not work with Catwoman but at least l had my fun with her. From the moment l saw her ass in leather pants l knew l was going to get some.

LOL, but what you said about "dooming the protagonist" isn't quite true. The protagonist is Batman/Bruce, his father is an immediate family member. Tinkering with him isn't "dooming" the protagonist at all.

To be honest the game was rather weak for a telltale game as well as a batman story. Everything just kind of felt forced and thrown together randomly. Each episode ended up feeling like a chore, reminding me of when I played the borderlands telltale game. At least the new walking dead game seems good in comparison. But everyone has their own opinion, and this one is mine.

It was ok. Really cool to see them bend the Batman lore, but the story did not stand out to me. As telltalegsames go, this is probably one of my least liked. Episode 4 crashed 5 times and episode 5 had that eyeball and teeth glitch that Assassins Creed Unity was bullied for. Other than that, I ser lots of potential for season 2. Just hope they dont overuse Joker.

To be honest I wasn't really a fan of the whole Thomas Wayne being a criminal backstory and I thought Penguin was a let down but I really enjoyed developing Catwoman/Selina's and Batman/Bruce's relationship and I loved that you could choose to do things as either Batman or Bruce, it really added another dimension to the game. Overall I enjoyed the game and feel like it was a good first season. I think season 2 will be much better with the Joker looking likely to play the major part along with a more developed Two-Face and Penguin.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2016 at 10:35 AM, TKdovahkiin said:

So I ordered Batman Return to Arkham at this suggestion. Even though I don't usually care for games that require a hard difficulty for the plat. Hopefully it won't be too bad on the easiest setting so I can enjoy my new Hero!

I also agree that tinkering with him didn't doom him. It really showed the horror of dealing with family realities and how they can affect who you are.

That's great and all but I seriously feel sorry for you if you only buy games with easy Platinums.

Very enjoyable and well written as Telltale games always are.  I think more credit should go to them since almost every person in this game is a well recognized character who doesn't allow for as much freedom or leeway as an original character is afforded.  Catwoman, Harvey Dent,

Spoiler

Two Face

, Alfred, Bruce/Batman are all voiced well and written well.

Also a very big fan of

Spoiler

Joker's

role in this story and how he is introduced and utilized.  Can't wait to see more in season 2.

I also like how much actual disparity there is for a Telltale game with different choices offering very different scenes and experiences.  Playing as Batman has a very different tone and feel to playing as Bruce and it really increases the replay value for this game.  I plan on playing a very different version of Bruce and Batman on the PS3 version in the near future.

Edited by Sypher-KoS
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2016 at 11:34 PM, TKdovahkiin said:

Why? you like to torture yourself or prove a point while playing a video game?

No, if they're fun and doable then I will buy them even if the plat is out of my reach because of a few trophies. I don't enjoy dying constantly though nor do I see the point.

Why do you think Telltale games are so popular? Because you don't have to be such a hot shot to enjoy them. Or a game like Skyrim, which you can play on an easy difficulty and enjoy endless hours of a great experience rather than on a harder difficulty in which you spend so much time just fighting or trying to stay alive.

Not everybody is into gaming for the brownie points. I think I heard that Developers have to make their games playable for casual gamers these days. Way to go Telltale!

LOL you can play any game without being a hotshot, that's why there are difficulty levels. My point is it's sad to only get games based on their Platinum. Let's take Batman: Arkham City for example, brilliant game. However, it has a difficult Platinum. Would you or would you not get it?

16 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

Vicky Vale not believable..... way too forced. 

Care to elaborate on that?

8 hours ago, TKdovahkiin said:

SuperS, even though you have veered off the topic you started in this forum, I graciously answered you in a previous post, saying that I had ordered Batman Return to Arkham (at your suggestion) which IS Batman Arkham City (and Asylum) EVEN though it has a difficult platinum - which I also answered in another post that a difficult platinum is not enough to keep me from a genuinely good game as long as it is mostly playable by most players. I don't get the "sad" drama over gaming difficulty level preferences. Its not sad to only get games based on their Plat anyway if you don't enjoy higher difficulties!

However, the topic here is Telltale's Batman which it had appeared we both agreed to be a great game. Hope you enjoy the next season if there is one!

LOL sorry, drifted off with this thing. Anyway yeah I'm really excited.