√Letter On Vita Vs. PS4?

Cynthia-Roses

So I am pretty interested in this game, and I know it's available on the PS4, but I can't pass up a chance to get another title that makes owning the Vita worth it. So I guess my question is: is there any discernible performance difference between the versions? Any major bugs/glitches/etc. that make the Vita version inferior for any other reason besides "graphics"? Also how are the load times? I remember Corpse Party: Blood Drive, a game I loved having abysmal loads on the Vita. Like I really want to get this game on the Vita, but if it's a huge step down from the PS4 version, I'd rather just get that.

Anyone have experience with this version, or possibly both that can shed some light?

2 minutes ago, Sigma999 said:

Vita it's portable , the PS4 not . Also Vita version is cheaper. Not sure about perfomance and framerate issues on Vita . However if you get the PS4 version you can remote play on your Vita i guess .

I was hearing that was the only difference, which to me makes the $10 price difference worth it even more. It's a pretty steep price for a VN game as it is, but I enjoy the portability with VNs especially if the PS4 version isn't even noticeably different. I am always looking for Vita games to add to my collection. <3

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Anyone have experience with this version, or possibly both that can shed some light?

The Vita-version has no performance problems or any other problems. The only problems the game had were also on the PS4-version but they are patched by now (that were bugs caused by lazy QA not testing with other system languages besides english and japanese).

I've only played the Vita version, but I can pretty much guarantee the technical differences between the two versions are insignificant. I mean it's a VN. They could quite literally run on a toaster. :P I didn't even notice any loading screens tbh. Are you sure they even exist? The only differences worth noting is the screen size, portability, and price. I prefer VN's on a smaller screen, the portability is a nice bonus and the game is a good bit cheaper on Vita. This makes getting the Vita version a no-brainer, don't you think? VN's are right at home on handheld.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sora9427 said:

Asking where to play a Novel when you have a PsVita... It shouldn't even be a topic after all the time something like this was discussed xD

The reason I ask is because long load times on the Vita can make a game grueling. Corpse Party: Blood Drive is a perfect example where it takes a good 5-7 seconds or so to just view your inventory and then another 5-7 to get out of it. It adds up over time and it can make an otherwise great game feel really grueling to play. Those extra load times and poor optimization can make a 10 hour game take an additional hour or so. Another good example is the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger vs. the SNES port. The PS1 obviously had more specs and included cutscenes, but the game's load times were so terrible that it would easily add another 2-3 hours onto the game just sitting through loads and it needed to load when it entered and exited a battle sequence which was all the time.

So loads on a game are important for enjoyability and I was curious if the PS4 version and the Vita had significant differences. A game can be great but still have lots of performance issues which slow down the experience and make it otherwise not as enjoyable.

Like small load increases are alright, but when you are like looking at pause menus take 4-5 seconds just to pop up and 4-5 seconds to get back in the game, that adds up SUPER quick. Like as I said, I LOVE Corpse Party: Blood Drive, but the loads make the game slow and less enjoyable. So if the Vita version of Root Letter is at THAT level, I'd rather pay the extra $10 and get it on the PS4.

• Like 1

Corpse party is a bad example since they had to Adapt a version that is both Working for Vita and the 3Ds and as we know the 3Ds is far less powerful than vita, that's why the problems, that if are just like 30 seconds loading, are nothing if the game works and the save or game doesn't bug it's fine for me. 5-7 Second just to check a thing, and just take your time, if those are the problems,  have to wait like 5 minutes loading searching a game in online games.

If this are the problems honestly who cares.

I will complain of Wrong Texts or The problem the root Letter Ps4 Version had before Ps4, this are Thing to worry nto 4-5 second less to load a stuff, when i play pokèmon silver on my DS it takes what, 40 second just to go select a potion select the pokèmon give it to him and go back but never heard complaining about this stuff there to make another example.

PS: I have a game i won on vita in a "Lottery" on Twitter, Wanderjhar that i would like to play for example and i can't why? BEcause you can get 2-3 trophies and that's it, the others are blocked even if you do what they ask, you can't get them and after 3-4 months still no news for a Patch about this with the PS4 version of it coming out. This is something that boter and annoy me really much, not being able to or play or enjoy my trophy hunting properly.

Edited by Sora9427

I own the game, but I haven't had the chance to play it yet because I am super busy nowadays. (working retail during the holiday season.. woo..) But I always busy VN's for the Vita because..

One.. It's a VN

Two.. It's portable, just like a book.

Three.. These types of a games are made for the Vita.. (Norn9, Code Realize, Amnesia Memories, etc..)

I personally can't see myself siting in front of a TV playing these types of games for the first time because id probably get bored real fast.

Corpse party is a bad example since they had to Adapt a version that is both Working for Vita and the 3Ds and as we know the 3Ds is far less powerful than vita,

What are you talking about? Corpse Party: Blood Drive is a Vita exclusive. The original games were on the PSP.

that if are just like 30 seconds loading, are nothing if the game works and the save or game doesn't bug it's fine for me. 5-7 Second just to check a thing, and just take your time, if those are the problems,  have to wait like 5 minutes loading searching a game in online games.

If this are the problems honestly who cares.

A lot of people care. Waiting 5 minutes to find a game online isn't close to the same. You wait 5 minutes and you get 10-15 minutes of game with no further loading. Imagine if every 30-50 seconds in a game you had to sit through 5-7 seconds of loading. That's what Corpse Party: Blood Drive is like. Open up the menu? Wait for it to load. Open up the inventory from that menu. Load. Want to go back to the game? Press O and wait for it to go back to the menu. Then press O again to finally go back to the game. Want to go to the next room? Load. Want to check the last bit of dialogue said? Load. Imagine where you could not do virtually ANYTHING in a game without it needing to load something. Sure 5-7 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but imagine it happening every 30-50 seconds and you quickly start to loathe it. Go try the game and you'll see what I mean.

This video is a good example. Look how much significantly longer the loads are entering and exiting battles in Chrono Trigger on the PS1. Keep in mind this is an action you will need to do ALL THE TIME in this game, so this adds up really quick.

Thing to worry nto 4-5 second less to load a stuff,

That's not the issue, the issue is 4-5 extra seconds if there are TONS of loads. 4-5 extra seconds when the game only has a few load screens is one thing, but 4-5 extra seconds when the game is full of load screens is grueling.

PS: I have a game i won on vita in a "Lottery" on Twitter, Wanderjhar that i would like to play for example and i can't why? BEcause you can get 2-3 trophies and that's it, the others are blocked even if you do what they ask, you can't get them and after 3-4 months still no news for a Patch about this with the PS4 version of it coming out. This is something that boter and annoy me really much, not being able to or play or enjoy my trophy hunting properly.

Just because you're not bothered by it doesn't mean others are not. Yes other problems can ruin a game, but that doesn't mean tons of long loads don't harm a game's fun factor.

2 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

The reason I ask is because long load times on the Vita can make a game grueling. Corpse Party: Blood Drive is a perfect example where it takes a good 5-7 seconds or so to just view your inventory and then another 5-7 to get out of it. It adds up over time and it can make an otherwise great game feel really grueling to play.

Corpse Party is adventure. It's not a pure VN like Root Letter. 

Comparing those doesn't really make sense. :D

• Like 1

Just now, Satoshi Ookami said:

Corpse Party is adventure. It's not a pure VN like Root Letter. 

Comparing those doesn't really make sense. :D

I would consider Corpse Party a visual novel with some adventure elements. Considering a majority of the game is a VN.

The second game is 100% visual novel and Blood Drive is a VN with an exploration element as the adventure elements are not that deep. However I was talking about load times and in that regard... Any game is a far comparison because I was asking if the Vita version of Root Letter has abysmal loads or not, and I was explaining how loads can harm a game's enjoyability and used Corpse Party: Blood Drive as an example of that. Considering it's NOT a very graphic intensive game and it has so many terrible load times, it's a perfect example of how even a game that should in theory run really well can run like crap on the Vita if it's not optimized.

29 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

I would consider Corpse Party a visual novel with some adventure elements. Considering a majority of the game is a VN.

The second game is 100% visual novel and Blood Drive is a VN with an exploration element as the adventure elements are not that deep. However I was talking about load times and in that regard... Any game is a far comparison because I was asking if the Vita version of Root Letter has abysmal loads or not, and I was explaining how loads can harm a game's enjoyability and used Corpse Party: Blood Drive as an example of that. Considering it's NOT a very graphic intensive game and it has so many terrible load times, it's a perfect example of how even a game that should in theory run really well can run like crap on the Vita if it's not optimized.

But the exploration makes it different from a pure VN :) 

Anyway, Wolfie already explained that there is no problem with Vita so that should be enough? :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

But the exploration makes it different from a pure VN :) 

Anyway, Wolfie already explained that there is no problem with Vita so that should be enough? :D

Aye, I definitely feel better about getting it for the Vita now knowing people have played it and the PS4 version and say they are not that different.

I just don't like the idea of having to get it on the Vita because it's a VN. I prefer to play a game in the best possible way myself.

Edited by Cynthia-Roses
Minor edit

If there's 2 versions, the PS4 version will always be superior. Why limit yourself if you can experience something on a big screen, with much better sound and more comfort reading? At home this isn't even a question, there is absolutely no reason to play a handheld at home if you have a PS4. And if you're on a train then.. well, then you gotta ask yourself why you even bother playing it in such an uncomfortable place instead of waiting a few hours to be home.

If a game only comes out on a handheld then fair enough but every other time it's a handicap. 

• Like 1

Just now, DennisWilles said:

If there's 2 versions, the PS4 version will always be superior. Why limit yourself if you can experience something on a big screen, with much better sound and more comfort reading? At home this isn't even a question, there is absolutely no reason to play a handheld at home if you have a PS4. And if you're on a train then.. well, then you gotta ask yourself why you even bother playing it in such an uncomfortable place instead of waiting a few hours to be home.

If a game only comes out on a handheld then fair enough but every other time it's a handicap. 

Not a bad point to make.

In this case I might go for the Vita for the slightly lower price. Save some money on a relatively expensive game (they want full price for apparently a 7-8 hour game).

I would personally go for the PS4 version. While I like my VN's on the go, nothing beats seeing it on a nice large television while I sit on my couch with my blanket and heater. If price is a big factor, then the Vita version is the better option, especially if you're more on the go then at home.

• Like 1