PSN Account HiJacked

Cynthia-Roses

3 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Okay! Huge update time!

Update on the situation:

So we changed the password on the account, we enabled the 2-step. I also added a pin number to the account so if anyone tries to make purchases they'll need the pin. The security question was changed, and we changed emails to the account. I am fairly confident this has to do with the Yahoo email hack from a few days ago because the email for the account was Yahoo and she used the same password for said email. So consider this a further warning to those who are uninformed: YAHOO HAS BEEN HACKED TWICE IN THE PAST TWO YEARS AND THEY ARE NOT A SECURE EMAIL SERVER. IF YOU ARE USING THEM, SWITCH NOW.

Given that we are European customers, contacting Sony was tricky. There is not really a customer service number for Europeans, so basically if you're European and you run into this issue, you are screwed even further. So we actually paid the fees to call their American customer service and explained we have an American PS4 and explained the entire situation to them in detail.

TO OUR GOOD FORTUNE the person who hijacked the account and did this had a European PS4 and not and American one. This more or less proved to them that this wasn't just a second PS4 we had. When we told them we were Americans living overseas their demeanor changed entirely and were far more willing to help us. Seems as though Sony treats their American customers better than their Europeans (even though my wife is technically dual citizen here in Germany) and because they believed us they reset the web deactivation counter and it should allow us to deactivate this hacker's PS4 in the next 1-2 days and we can re-activate our own PS4 then.

So this hopefully is going to turn out well. So a bit that I've learned from all of this:

1. BUYER BEWARE WITH DIGITAL GAMES. If you share a PS4 and you share digital games among the house, be weary. If you can get a physical copy for a good price, always go for that. Clearly the digital market is not 100% secure and stuff like this can lock you out of your own games.
  2. Avoid Yahoo email like the plague.
  3. Have every security measure on your PSN account available.
  4. Do not use the same password for your PSN for anything else.
  5. Sony responds better to Americans.
  6. Hackers are douchebags.

I definitely will be going back to heavily focusing on physical copies over digital because of this. I'll pay the extra money to know I won't be randomly locked out of my purchases.

My wife learned her lesson from this, and I am hoping this helps others learn too.

Hope everything ends up positive for you, if you switch to gmail, they also offer 2 form authentication so you won't have to worry about your account being unsecure

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Hope everything ends up positive for you, if you switch to gmail, they also offer 2 form authentication so you won't have to worry about your account being unsecure

I updated everything on my own account as well. Since it's connected to my business Gmail, it is nay impossible for a hacker to get mine because my Gmail will not let you in unless you press a button on my iPhone. I would highly recommend Gmail as your primary email for PSN.

I was really surprised that Sony doesn't send you an email when your Primary PS4 is deactivated though.

1 minute ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

I updated everything on my own account as well. Since it's connected to my business Gmail, it is nay impossible for a hacker to get mine because my Gmail will not let you in unless you press a button on my iPhone. I would highly recommend Gmail as your primary email for PSN.

I was really surprised that Sony doesn't send you an email when your Primary PS4 is deactivated though.

You don't even receive one if someone activates a system on your account, I recently logged into my old account to redownload something the other day on my ps3 and it wouldn't let me. Found out my account was compromised god knows when and I never knew, there were 5 active ps3s on the account.

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

You don't even receive one if someone activates a system on your account, I recently logged into my old account to redownload something the other day on my ps3 and it wouldn't let me. Found out my account was compromised god knows when and I never knew, there were 5 active ps3s on the account.

That's something they should change. My wife suggested that to them when she was on the phone with them.

Happened to me on my PS3. The dumbass that is my little bro thought gamesharing my account would be a great idea.

Thanks god, I called the french PSN support and they helped me immediately, deactivating all systems (both PS3 & PS4) on my account, even though I already did it less than 6 months ago (used to login everytime I played at a friend's house, next thing you know I got 8 PS3s activated lmao).

In all fairness, relying on game sharing like this, no matter what the relationship is and how equal the sharing is, is going to put you in this kind of position eventually. I remember my 16 year old cousin begged me to share my information, because he knows how much I spend on games. Giving a kid that much power is just a mistake waiting to happen. I largely think game sharing with anybody is a mistake. Let them play on your account, play on their account, or don't do it at all. 

38 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

In all fairness, relying on game sharing like this, no matter what the relationship is and how equal the sharing is, is going to put you in this kind of position eventually. I remember my 16 year old cousin begged me to share my information, because he knows how much I spend on games. Giving a kid that much power is just a mistake waiting to happen. I largely think game sharing with anybody is a mistake. Let them play on your account, play on their account, or don't do it at all. 

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the TC and his wife both play on the same ps4 system, so I don't see the issue

Even though this is a completely different situation, I think I learned from a youtube video of a man making a rant video of how Sony didn't do a good job of solving his problem by the way he use PayPal, someone hacked his account. Just saying that the customer service of Sony just sucks which is why they have to improve the security and even though I don't use the 2 step verification thing because I think it's totally unnecessary to log in even though I haven't got hacked because I don't give out easy information that someone will know. 

The yahoo mail I disagree that it's not secure because just like Sony I haven't got hacked just yet

53 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

14 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but the TC and his wife both play on the same ps4 system, so I don't see the issue

This^

I don't use her password and she doesn't use mine. We are using the "sharing" function the way it was intended. So that when someone who owns the PS4 buys a digital game you don't have to buy another copy for every account on the system. Sony designed it like this so that it made digital games a viable replacement for physical copies. Otherwise anyone who had more than 1 person using the PS4 would always go physical and Sony didn't want that because they make more money on digital because they cut the retailer out of the equation. The PS4 is designed so that if you set your PS4 to your PRIMARY PS4 on your account that you share your games with everyone on that PS4.

Again I was using the feature the way it was intended. So I don't understand why it would be a problem.

Even though this is a completely different situation, I think I learned from a youtube video of a man making a rant video of how Sony didn't do a good job of solving his problem by the way he use PayPal, someone hacked his account. Just saying that the customer service of Sony just sucks which is why they have to improve the security and even though I don't use the 2 step verification thing because I think it's totally unnecessary to log in even though I haven't got hacked because I don't give out easy information that someone will know. 

The yahoo mail I disagree that it's not secure because just like Sony I haven't got hacked just yet 

I just think if you don't do the account share thing, or even he credit cards in most sites, you will be in good shape personally along of complicated password that it ain't too obvious as well. 

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

7 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

I just think if you don't do the account share thing, or even he credit cards in most sites, you will be in good shape personally along of complicated password that it ain't too obvious as well. 

You may want to change your password and security questions anyways, your account is vulnerable

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/14/yahoo-says-new-hack-affected-1-billion-users-separate-from-earlier-attack.html

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

You may want to change your password and security questions anyways, your account is vulnerable

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/14/yahoo-says-new-hack-affected-1-billion-users-separate-from-earlier-attack.html

Earlier, Yahoo did notify me to change my password only where I see why but I only change one thing but with a same part that I did. I connected my own phone number for my main email account so I would be still fine and still aware not to give out information of course.

1 hour ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

1. Sony's Customer Service helped the OP when he was able to contact them by phone. His original rant was about not being able deactivate on is own except every 6 months. Ergo, Sony's customer service did NOT suck in this scenario.

2. 2 Step is not unnecessary and prevents this scenario from ever happening again if used.

3. Yahoo mail IS insecure as evidenced by their admission that 1 billion users had their information affected.

4. Just because something hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. That's called an anecdote, not proof.

14 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

1. Sony's Customer Service helped the OP when he was able to contact them by phone. His original rant was about not being able deactivate on is own except every 6 months. Ergo, Sony's customer service did NOT suck in this scenario.

2. 2 Step is not unnecessary and prevents this scenario from ever happening again if used.

3. Yahoo mail IS insecure as evidenced by their admission that 1 billion users had their information affected.

4. Just because something hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong. That's called an anecdote, not proof.

Well not everyone helped people of thier problems from Sony where it's good that the op helped it out, but somehow thier problems haven't been solved where I just think the dercurity of Sony just isn't that good if it had been hacked to begin with. And it depends on a certain someone from Sony who understands the situation and knows a way how to fix something, and can at least help a person from not getting pissed off that they aren't finding ways to fix it like the guy who was mad when contacting the live chat

That's if someone hacks your stuff or something and if you have to use the 2 step verification, it's alright, but I not going to use it because it's unnecessary in my opinion when logging in. 

3. Well somehow my account hasn't got hacked and I use yahoo where I still fine of not getting hacked at all because I fully aware that I don't connect any personal information that anyone could easily hacked mines. 

4. I just giving an advice not someone who is wrong for any future experiences which is why this type of stuff hasn't happened to me at all

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

7 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

Well not everyone helped people of thier problems from Sony where it's good that the op helped it out, but somehow thier problems haven't been solved where I just think the dercurity of Sony just isn't that good if it had been hacked to begin with. And it depends on a certain someone from Sony who understands the situation and knows a way how to fix something, and can at least help a person from not getting pissed off that they aren't finding ways to fix it like the guy who was mad when contacting the live chat

That's if someone hacks your stuff or something and if you have to use the 2 step verification, it's alright, but I not going to use it because it's unnecessary in my opinion when logging in. 

3. Well somehow my account hasn't got hacked and I use yahoo where I still fine of not getting hacked at all because I fully aware that I don't connect any personal information that anyone could easily hacked mines. 

4. I just giving an advice not someone is strong for any future experiences which is why this type of stuff hasn't happened to me at all

It's not like it's a pain to set up, the only time you have to enter a code for two factor is the first time you register your console, but if someone tries to log into your account on another system, they will need the code sent to your cell phone. Would you rather have a home security system after being robbed? I sure wouldn't. I would rather prevent it from happening in the first place

6 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It's not like it's a pain to set up, the only time you have to enter a code for two factor is the first time you register your console, but if someone tries to log into your account on another system, they will need the code sent to your cell phone. Would you rather have a home security system after being robbed? I sure wouldn't. I would rather prevent it from happening in the first place

I guess that seems a good option I may consider if it ever happen, but yet again I don't give out much information to people and prevent from anyone doing it like you said on the last part. 

10 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

I guess that seems a good option I may consider if it ever happen, but yet again I don't give out much information to people and prevent from anyone doing it like you said on the last part. 

You don't need to give out your information for your account to become compromised, no one but me and sony knew the email address to my other account, but it still became compromised, because hackers usually get a database of email addresses and then work on the passwords

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

You don't need to give out your information for your account to become compromised, no one but me and sony knew the email address to my other account, but it still became compromised, because hackers usually get a database of email addresses and then work on the passwords

Which is mostly why it's always good to change password evert so often if you feel that it ain't strong enough plus security questions so that also won't be too obvious from hackers. Also Sony's job to prevent hackers from getting into thier accounts where so far they ain't doing a good job of thier security problems

10 hours ago, DaivRules said:

To be fair though, I got SUPER lucky because the person who tried to steal the account was using a EU PS4 and mine was American so they could see something didn't add up. If that person had an American PS4... They probably wouldn't have believed us because they'd just assume we were game sharing.

Twice in fact.

Bingo. Hackers generally steal millions of accounts but only decide to compromise a few. It would take forever to go through millions of accounts so it's luck of the draw. Just because yours has not been broken into YET, doesn't mean they don't have access to it. For all we know they just haven't gotten to you yet.

10 hours ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

I will agree to this. This should have not happened in the first place. Sony should have sent me an email or something when trying to deactivate my primary PS4. They should have flagged it when suddenly I have a European PS4 and required me to call them or something to verify it's legitimate. There should be an easier way to undo this crap and the system clearly needs re-working.

Is the Sony customer service THAT bad in NA ? The FR one is pretty good, everytime me or my friend had a problem with our accounts, I was the one that called since I'm the oldest, or I emailed them, and they always solved my problem. Once, I called because my password changed for some reason, they changed it back to the original one, I played, but since I sent an e-mail 2 days prior to calling, they received that e-mail and changed my password AGAIN to a previous one that I also remembered 5 minutes after I called, I freaked out by I understood what happened :D