Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

2 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Trails of Cold Steel: This game is AMAZING! I'm still at the beginning, and there's still a lot that needs to be uncovered as far as plot goes. It requires 2 playthroughs though. There's a chance I might not complete it in time. 

If you get most of the trophies in your first playthrough, the second can be breezed through pretty fast because you'll be able to skip most of the quests and the cutscenes can be sped up by pressing and holding :circle:.  I missed the chest trophy in my first run, which is a more time consuming one and still was able to go from beginning of chapter 2 in my first playthrough to a plat in less than a month.  Use a guide and do your utmost to not miss quests or character notes and that will help a lot for a more speedy second run.

• Like 1

I picked up two more plats already, but as Falion said, they only had one trophy left so don't count. 

I'm closing in on the Disney Infinity 2.0 Plat. I just need to finish leveling two characters to level 20, and complete survival mode. A big chunk of the leveling should happen naturally while completing that completely useless 50 floor random dungeon that you can't save during. :facepalm:

I'm also getting close with Dragons Dogma, though I haven't played in several days at this point. Probably under 5 hours left for Plat, so it's just a matter of knocking it out over a couple nights. 

Been playing a little bit of Geometry Wars here and there. I generally complete 3 to 5 levels a day, and earn one or two trophies. Once DI2 is finished I'll probably start spending more time with this. 

• Like 1

I've updated the OP with your stats, @Enma8910. I guess depending on CJ's answer we're pretty much all set now in terms of preparation. :)

Also, I'm currently working on a few banners to liven up the look of the thread, nothing too fancy though. 

On 1/4/2017 at 4:21 AM, SyIaris said:

Thinking I may try to get back to and plat Okami... also started up the Ratchet & Clank reboot, which will likely be the first thing done.

Good luck with Persona, I've heard it's a little nitpicky. Also heard it's a great game, though.  :)

The R&C reboot is still one of the biggest reasons I'd like to have a PS4, have fun with that. ^_^

While I didn't play that much of it yet, the only trophy that seems to be problematic is one where you have to hear a set amount of phrases from a certain character but from what I've heard it's not really missable, just gets grindier depending on the way you play the game. I should be fine if I don't overlevel my party members and switch them around a bit, but I guess it's gonna end up being a case of trial and error to get the last few lines.

13 hours ago, DetectiveCJ said:

I'm not sure if I am going to be able to continue this. I am busy with a few personal projects of my own. Sorry. :(

Yeah, I know that feeling. I can remove you from the list of participants if you want to, but you could also stay and kinda have the event running as a little side thing. After all, the worst thing that could happen would be getting a list full of bronze grades. Since I'm trying to keep the game selection for each theme pretty large, you might end up earning a few grades by accident. :P

All you'd have to do would be to post about it in the thread afterwards.

Anyways, if you'd like to stay in the event go ahead and post your stats, otherwise just tell me to remove you from the OP, then you'll be out. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xFalionx said:

I've updated the OP with your stats, @Enma8910. I guess depending on CJ's answer we're pretty much all set now in terms of preparation. :)

Also, I'm currently working on a few banners to liven up the look of the thread, nothing too fancy though. 

(SNIP)

Yeah, I know that feeling. I can remove you from the list of participants if you want to, but you could also stay and kinda have the event running as a little side thing. After all, the worst thing that could happen would be getting a list full of bronze grades. Since I'm trying to keep the game selection for each theme pretty large, you might end up earning a few grades by accident. :P

All you'd have to do would be to post about it in the thread afterwards.

Anyways, if you'd like to stay in the event go ahead and post your stats, otherwise just tell me to remove you from the OP, then you'll be out. 

I'm sorry, I just don't feel like running. Please remove me. Sorry about that. I wish everyone else good luck. :) (Also, I stayed up all night playing Knack so I am not feeling 100% right now. :D )

Edited by DetectiveCJ
  • Like 1

@DetectiveCJ you're out now. You're always welcome, should you ever think about joining again during the course of the year. :)

@MortalRikku, @ShogunCroCop, @Komrade_Konrad, you've been added to the list, welcome to the event. Turns out that in the end we still gained more participants than we lost today. ^_^

3 hours ago, ShogunCroCop said:

Is it too late to sign up?

It's never gonna be too late to sign up for this event. I guess December 31st is cutting it close, but there's technically no time limit to sign up.

I guess I'll somehow include that in the thread banner to make sure anyone who sees this thread knows about that little piece of information

2 hours ago, Komrade_Konrad said:

This looks like a good low-stress backlog event, so count me in.  Will maybe try to finish Gravity Rush for this month, but we'll see.

Have fun playing Gravity Rush, it's still my favorite Vita game to this day and I kinda wish I could plat it again. :D 

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 2

I'm working on Watch Dogs 2 right now. I should have it finished by tonight because I only have a few miscellaneous trophies left to get. 

The game is so much better then the first one. In my opinion, it's what a game like Watch Dogs should be. Colorful, witty and not taken too seriously. I think Ubisoft definitely nailed this one and hopefully it's enough for them to make a third installment.

Edited by Kent10201
  • Like 3

Got me by an hour. Grats Kent. 

Plat 109 - Dragons Dogma. I started it during my first Kill Your Completion event in July and I've been chipping away ever since. Great game, though there are a few minorly annoying trophies. 

Fun 9/10

Difficulty 4/10

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 4

@Kent10201, @Hemiak, congratulations on being the first ones to earn a platinum grade in January. Don't forget that you can still earn some stars by completing additional fitting platinum games and/or 100% games. Anyways, check out your new shiny rank in the OP. :)

I've added a line about the open sign-ups as well as a new rule in the grade section to the op.

Because of that new rule you'll also be able to get a golden star by completing 100% non-platinum games after receiving a gold or platinum rank.

I thought it would be a nice incentive to keep games without a platinum relevant to the event.

Of course you'll still be able to earn stars by completing additional platinum games that fit the theme of the month but you'll earn a platinum star for that now. 

21 hours ago, MortalRikku said:

Going to finish Final Fantasy X HD, prob won't get the plat as it will be a grind! Getting the story finished would be a good step forward xD:shakefist:

Have fun with that, out of the FF games I've played 10 is my favorite in the story department.

Getting the platinum really wasn't all that great since there are some tedious grinds like completing all of the sphere grids, which is basically 30 hours of leveling, and catching all fiends for that one ultra hard boss. I think it was Pennance. I also didn't like the Blitzball grind but at least that one was shorter.

If you want to get it over with quite a bit faster, you should use Yojimbo to kill the ultra hard bosses and skip farming the perfect spheres for all of the party members, that way you can probably avoid about 20 hours of additional grinding...

2 hours ago, MortalRikku said:

Wow! Congrats guys ^_^ haven't even got around to Final Fantasy yet. Star Wars: Rogue One tonight too :lol:

I didn't start Persona 4 yet either, but I'm making some progress in Pumped BMX +. I guess a few more days and I'll get the gold trophy, then I'll have to wait out the 15th to do the rest because of the gold diggers event. 

• Like 2

I just finished the plat in Everybody's Gone to the Rapture... not quite the same scale of game as Hemiak's or Kent's, granted. ^_^

It was one of my games for the Winter Backlog Challenge as well.

Of the "walking simulators" I've played, I can most understand people writing this one off.  You don't really interact with anything at all, just wander slowly around listening to excerpts from a radio play.  I bought it shortly after release I think, but didn't get into the narrative at the time and just abandoned it. 

Having gone back to the game, I ended up liking it quite a bit.  The attention to detail in the setting is great (maybe this works more for a Brit?) and the narrative is well told and pretty damn sad.  I don't think the trophies needed quite so many collectibles, but hey.

Edited by Fitzquaid
Added some thoughts on the game.
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Have fun with that, out of the FF games I've played 10 is my favorite in the story department.

Getting the platinum really wasn't all that great since there are some tedious grinds like completing all of the sphere grids, which is basically 30 hours of leveling, and catching all fiends for that one ultra hard boss. I think it was Pennance. I also didn't like the Blitzball grind but at least that one was shorter.

If you want to get it over with quite a bit faster, you should use Yojimbo to kill the ultra hard bosses and skip farming the perfect spheres for all of the party members, that way you can probably avoid about 20 hours of additional grinding...

I didn't start Persona 4 yet either, but I'm making some progress in Pumped BMX +. I guess a few more days and I'll get the gold trophy, then I'll have to wait out the 15th to do the rest because of the gold diggers event. 

I played Final Fantasy X back when it was on PS2, and I don't even think back then I did the whole sphere grid. That's what I am most dreading after looking at the trophies.

I loved the blitzball part of the game haha, maybe the only person that likes that :blink:

Going to make a start tomorrow for sure as have the PS3 all set back up :lol:

Yeah Yojimbo is a beast, I actually used him to defeat Sin back on the PS2 days :giggle:

13 minutes ago, Fitzquaid said:

I just finished the plat in Everybody's Gone to the Rapture... not quite the same scale of game as Hemiak's or Kent's, granted. ^_^

It was one of my games for the Winter Backlog Challenge as well.

Congrats, I have that on my backlog too! How many playthrough's did you do for the plat?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Getting the platinum really wasn't all that great since there are some tedious grinds like completing all of the sphere grids, which is basically 30 hours of leveling, and catching all fiends for that one ultra hard boss.

Yeah, that's the killer part of the trophies.  Chocobo racing and lightning dodging can be a pain but at least they're over quickly.

2 minutes ago, MortalRikku said:

Congrats, I have that on my backlog too! How many playthrough's did you do for the plat?

Three in the end for me - one blind playthrough just for the experience, one quick minimalist run for Radio Enthusiast, Backtracker and Open Ended, then a completionist run today using this walkthrough.  Hope you have fun with it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Fitzquaid said:

Three in the end for me - one blind playthrough just for the experience, one quick minimalist run for Radio Enthusiast, Backtracker and Open Ended, then a completionist run today using this walkthrough.  Hope you have fun with it.

Thanks for that.

I started my first run through a while back but got side tracked by everything else.

Blind playthrough is the best way  :P

I'll sign up for this.

Games started - 148

Games 100% - 102

Completion rate - 79.38

My backlog is really big just not on profile as I haven't downloaded them yet. My goal is to actually 100% more games from my download list/backlog than I add to it (including with ps+) so that I get through my real backlog.

• Like 1

Finished Chapter 3 in Cold Steel. Will try to get a quarter into Ch.4, but it seems like this one's going to take me a few days. It's nice to know that I'm half-way done with the story. I just hope I haven't missed any of the treasure chests. That would suck to have to go through again.

• Like 1

@Kevvik Welcome aboard. You were supposed to state your number of platinum trophies instead of your started games, by the way, but I corrected that number for you.

The Games 100% part was also meant to be 100% completed games without a platinum trophy but I guess as long as you use the same stat to compare it in the end, it should be fine.

Edit:I forgot to mention, I finished Welcome Park yesterday. I guess I'll award myself a gold rank now since that game is a cross between 2D 2.5D and 3D as it's a minigame collection with pretty diverse games. 

@Fitzquaid congratulations on earning your platinum grade in January. There's still some stars to earn, so keep on finishing games. :)

Also, you and Hemiak both completed the second challenge. Nice work, you two. :D (Sorry for noticing it that late, Hemiak.)

Anyways, the new editor won't let me make anymore of these nifty @user links for some reason, so I'm gonna leave a blank quote below so Hemiak sees this...

8 hours ago, Hemiak said:

>notification<

2 hours ago, MortalRikku said:

I played Final Fantasy X back when it was on PS2, and I don't even think back then I did the whole sphere grid. That's what I am most dreading after looking at the trophies.

I loved the blitzball part of the game haha, maybe the only person that likes that :blink:

Yeah Yojimbo is a beast, I actually used him to defeat Sin back on the PS2 days :giggle:

Well, it's not really hard or anything, you're gonna have to farm quite a few spheres to fill the grid and the rest is just a bunch of leveling. Pretty basic JRPG stuff.

I guess the fiends that spawn in the area with the highest XP gain are the annoying part, so you can't really be careless otherwise your party will end up petrified, giving you a game over and making you lose all the XP you grinded for since the last time you saved. Get some gear that prevents petrification and save often, then you'll be fine.

I used to love blitzball but when I played it again recently it was pretty boring. Still better than normal sports games, I guess.

Yojimbo is pretty great, especially once you get him to 1-hit something that would take half an hour to beat. :P

In my opinion, the 2 Sin boss fights were pretty easy compared to the Seymour fight, in which that bastard is flinging around zombie spells every few turns to prevent you from healing and reviving your party members.

I did use Yojimbo to fight most of the dark Aeons, though. 

2 hours ago, Fitzquaid said:

Yeah, that's the killer part of the trophies.  Chocobo racing and lightning dodging can be a pain but at least they're over quickly.

Oh right, how could I forget that annoying Chocobo race. Honestly, that's the most annoying trophy in the game and I was extremely excited once I finally managed to get that done.

Lightning dodging was pretty easy for me, I think I got the trophy on my third try. I guess the annoying part is that you have to keep track of the number of times you've dodged a bolt. 

1 hour ago, Edunstar84 said:

Finished Chapter 3 in Cold Steel. Will try to get a quarter into Ch.4, but it seems like this one's going to take me a few days. It's nice to know that I'm half-way done with the story. I just hope I haven't missed any of the treasure chests. That would suck to have to go through again.

It's always nice to get some progress. ^_^

I hate games that have trophies like that and don't allow backtracking/ still have some of the stuff missable, especially if they're fairly lengthy games.

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Chapter 4 will fly once you get to the field study part.

Did you get the chest in Bareahard Central Plaza?  It's just outside the waterway and not on the map in the walkthrough so that is the most commonly missed.  I missed that one myself and can say it's not that bad to have to go through again and in fact is to your benefit because those zeram powders you get in the trapped chests after you have the master quartz are very useful on nightmare against one late game boss that has an ability to basically capture a character and drain their HP until they die and you can release the character before that by doing a S-Craft.

• Like 1