Monthly Madness (Formerly known as FYLTBE) [OLD THREAD]

Haha, you can sign me up already. I've signed up for some other backlog events in the past but those didn't really help (:P), maybe this one will ;).  

Stats before the event:

Platinum trophies: 33

100% completed: 70

Completion: 49.43%

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Haha, you can sign me up already. I've signed up for some other backlog events in the past but those didn't really help (:P), maybe this one will ;).  

8 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Count me in as well! I need a new incentive to finish more games.

It's great to see some interest even before the event is properly introduced. :)

It might help you but at the very least it should provide you with some more diversity.

6 minutes ago, DetectiveCJ said:

I'm interested in this but won't sign up until I get more information about the themes. If it's something like "Ultra Rare Plats", I can't do it.

None of the themes that I've planned are really gonna be about the difficulty of a game or it's plat, so I don't think you'd have to worry about that.

More information will be following soon, due to my silly mistake. :lol:

Can you give some idea of what themes will be?  I'm not so concerned about difficulty, but more if themes will actually fit games I would have any interest in playing.

Also a question related to one of the rules.  You are saying we can play from any "console", I'm guessing first off that will also include PC and mobile.  But the actual question is, are all other platforms going to be unable to get a platinum grade in a theme even if they have the same achievements as the PSN trophy set that does include a platinum?

Like to give an example, let's say the theme is something like mystery type games and I decide to play Murdered: Soul Suspect which would fit it.  I own that on Steam so I can't get a platinum trophy, but the achievement set on Steam is the same as PSN and a 100% on Steam would be the same as earning a platinum on PSN.  It could be verified with me linking my achievement page from Steam.  Or if I played a game on Xbox Live my 100% could be verified from xbox.com.

I'm asking this because my PSN backlog is growing smaller, but my Steam and Xbox 360 backlogs are huge and I'd love an event that will include them, but not if it means I put myself at a disadvantage because I opted to buy a game on Steam or Xbox for various reasons, and in some cases long before I owned my PS3 and Vita.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

Can you give some idea of what themes will be?  I'm not so concerned about difficulty, but more if themes will actually fit games I would have any interest in playing.

Also a question related to one of the rules.  You are saying we can play from any "console", I'm guessing first off that will also include PC and mobile.  But the actual question is, are all other platforms going to be unable to get a platinum grade in a theme even if they have the same achievements as the PSN trophy set that does include a platinum?

Like to give an example, let's say the theme is something like mystery type games and I decide to play Murdered: Soul Suspect which would fit it.  I own that on Steam so I can't get a platinum trophy, but the achievement set on Steam is the same as PSN and a 100% on Steam would be the same as earning a platinum on PSN.  It could be verified with me linking my achievement page from Steam.  Or if I played a game on Xbox Live my 100% could be verified from xbox.com.

I'm asking this because my PSN backlog is growing smaller, but my Steam and Xbox 360 backlogs are huge and I'd love an event that will include them, but not if it means I put myself at a disadvantage because I opted to buy a game on Steam or Xbox for various reasons, and in some cases long before I owned my PS3 and Vita.

I'm trying to keep the game themes broad enough to allow some free room. Then again, encouraging people to try something they wouldn't have otherwise is one of the goals I had in mind when planning this event. As far as the general idea of the themes will be, each month is gonna have a major theme, of which there'll be smaller themes to vote for.

An example would be January's major theme of "Perspective", of which people will be able to vote for the minor themes "3D Games", "2D Games" and "2.5D Games". I'll list those major themes in the OP, once I get the chance to actually finish the damn thing.

There'll also be a few months where I ask all participants for theme suggestions, of which one will be picked at the end of the month using a random generator.

Thanks for bringing that up. Of course, if the achievement list of the game is the same as the one on PSN and you can provide proof of completing all achievements that would be necessary to earn the platinum trophy on Sony consoles, you would be able to earn the platinum rank. And yes, consoles include PC and mobile.

But yeah, I know the problem. Before I got into Sony consoles again, I amassed quite a few unplayed steam games.

I'm gonna continue finishing the OP now. :)

Cool, then sign me on up.  Always can use some excuse to also work on the 360 and Steam backlogs.  Though who am I kidding, Steam's backlog is so never going away, but I have quite a few games there that also exist on PSN with the same achievement sets and could always use an excuse to play those instead of the easy 100%s I typically go for.

• Like 1

I'd like to join in as well, please. Sounds interesting.

I'll be curious to see what sort of games I wind up with... Steam bundle junk/extras may be my only possible option for some of those, depending on the specifics. :giggle:

Plats: 48

100%: 80

Completion: TBA

How do ports/remasters work for the "retro" bit? Not that it particularly matters since it's a side thing, just curious.

Also, since I was bored, is this kind of what you were after?
It's a little messy, I didn't bother trying to get everything exact or make a good background.

6uOlR0j.gif

Edited by SyIaris
  • Like 1

I think I'm pretty much done with the OP now. I hope I didn't leave out anything important since I'm pretty tired.
Don't forget to vote, people. :)

35 minutes ago, SyIaris said:

I'd like to join in as well, please. Sounds interesting.

I'll be curious to see what sort of games I wind up with... Steam bundle junk/extras may be my only possible option for some of those, depending on the specifics. :giggle:

Plats: 48

100%: 80

Completion: TBA

How do ports/remasters work for the "retro" bit? Not that it particularly matters since it's a side thing, just curious.

Also, since I was bored, is this kind of what you were after?
It's a little messy, I didn't bother trying to get everything exact or make a good background.

Reveal hidden contents

6uOlR0j.gif

Now that I'm done, I've added you to the event. 

And yeah, that's sort of what I had in mind, maybe a little different and smaller, so you could have it in your sig as more of a side-thing. Along with a larger version for profiles.

I might do that after all but I'm not guaranteeing anything since I'm relatively short on time.

Also, I've added a bit of text to clarify that remaster question. Basically: If the original game has been published before 2006, it's gonna be fine, no matter if it's a remake or a port.

You should reread the OP before I sign you up. It's pretty much done now, sow there's some new information you might want to know about before signing up.
I ran out of likes as well, so don't be disappointed if you didn't receive a like yet, I still love your posts. :D

@Lucas @Edunstar84 @DetectiveCJ @Pixel-CAT- @ladynadiad

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xFalionx said:

2.5D Games

2D games usually look three dimensional but feature two dimensional mechanics. Example: Pumped BMX +

3D Games
2D games are usually three dimensional in both looks and mechanics. Example: Assassins Creed 2

These should be 2.5D and 3D respectively I believe. They both say 2D right now. :)

Looks pretty fun, I'm not going to sign up however, as I will almost certainly wander off mentally at some point and forget about the whole thing. Hope you get a good turn out though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

These should be 2.5D and 3D respectively I believe. They both say 2D right now. :)

Looks pretty fun, I'm not going to sign up however, as I will almost certainly wander off mentally at some point and forget about the whole thing. Hope you get a good turn out though. 

I knew there was bound to be some mistakes when tiredness and copy+paste meet each other. :facepalm: Fixed.

Yeah, I guess something passive isn't really perfect for everyone. I personally prefer the slow pace to the pretty fast pace of regular events but I think the monthly themes will spice things up enough so it won't feel too boring. ^_^ 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

@xFalionx Added my stats to my original post as well. That's all, right?

About completing PC games, do they count for a gold grade or a platinum grade once you've got all achievements from a PC exclusive (like Undertale)?

Undertale is probably a poor example there since it lacks achievements on PC so there wouldn't be something to verify that you did 100% the game, unless it has in game achievements?  I doubt it though because the dev was very against the idea of giving the game any sort of achievements.

For a better example, I'd go with something like Final Fantasy IX.  That's one that exists on a bunch of platforms, but only on PC and mobile does it have achievements.  I'd use that one because it's a long enough game with a large enough achievement set that if that version came to PSN it would certainly have a platinum.  Or if you really want to do a better example where the game even has an achievement for earning all other achievements like a platinum, Final Fantasy IV is a good one.

• Like 1

@ladynadiad @Pixel-CAT- @Fitzquaid @Lucas @Enma8910

I signed you up. Make sure to check your stats at the start of January to make sure they are still up to date, and don't forget to post them if you didn't already. :)

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

@xFalionx Added my stats to my original post as well. That's all, right?

About completing PC games, do they count for a gold grade or a platinum grade once you've got all achievements from a PC exclusive (like Undertale)?

Yep, that's everything for now.

Honestly, I would love to award platinum grade ranks for games that have no platinum due to platform exclusivity, but I feel like it wouldn't be fair since I don't really have any good criteria to determine which games would deserve that. That's why in most cases I will reward gold ranks for 100% completed games which are exclusive to a non-Sony platform. I might make exceptions to this on a case by case basis, if the achievements are clearly hard enough to deserve a plat on PSN. I guess in those cases you should ask beforehand. 

I think I should elaborate on that in the FAQ section, when I get around to that.

I will still, however, reward platinum ranks for games that are played on a different platform, but have a platinum trophy with the same set of achievements on PSN.  

7 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Unfortunately, I don't own any 2D or 2.5D games, so my vote went to 3D. 

Do you really not have a single 2D game? Pretty much every second Indie game is a 2D game, as well as some others.

If you're subscribed to PS+, in November there were the 2D game Letter Quest and the 2.5D game Pumped BMX + in the instant game collection.

Anyways, I was thinking about giving everyone the chance to skip one or two themes in case you don't own any fitting games. You'd get to earn the same ranks marked with a little J or something like that by playing a different game for those months. I'll add that to the OP later, since it's probably a good idea.

Also, can I take your post as a confirmation that you'd still like to join, now that the OP has been updated? ^_^

Edited by xFalionx
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, xFalionx said:

Do you really not have a single 2D game? Pretty much every second Indie game is a 2D game, as well as some others.

If you're subscribed to PS+, in November there were the 2D game Letter Quest and the 2.5D game Pumped BMX + in the instant game collection.

Anyways, I was thinking about giving everyone the chance to skip one or two themes in case you don't own any fitting games. You'd get to earn the same ranks marked with a little J or something like that by playing a different game for those months. I'll add that to the OP later, since it's probably a good idea.

Also, can I take your post as a confirmation that you'd still like to join, now that the OP has been updated? ^_^

Yes I still want to join. Will post my stats after Christmas though. It might change loads with the new games I'll get during Christmas, and I'm on my way to completing a game. Nope, I don't have PS+, unfortunately. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Yes I still want to join. Will post my stats after Christmas though. It might change loads with the new games I'll get during Christmas, and I'm on my way to completing a game. Nope, I don't have PS+, unfortunately. 

Great, I added you to the participants section. Actually, posting your stats at the end of the year is pretty much what I had in mind for the same reason. Posting them now is not required.

I guess most people on here seem to have PS+, that's why I was figuring you might have it as well. Right now the scale is tipped towards 3D games anyways. :)

Ah screw it. Go ahead and sign me up. It's not like I'll get hunted down by wild dogs if I fail the challenge. 

I had a question about Consoles for month 2 however. What exactly does that mean? Because none of the things I can think of make a lot of sense to me. 

I have 106 plats and that won't change before the year end. I'll update the rest later. 

• Like 1