Alternate's Trophy Cabinet

Alternatewarning

1L213da9.png
Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory
An unexpected platinum in the fact that my enemy counter seemed to only be at ~95,000 but I will happily take it!  Do I think I'll get the rest of the Kingdom Hearts games done before the end of the year?  No.  But I do think that, hopefully, cleaning up some trophies will get me over that 89% completion.  I'm so close!  Hopefully finishing Type 0 will do it.  If not, time for more backlog work.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1L9583fd.png
Beyond: Two Souls
Playstation 3
Difficulty: 2/10
Fun: 5/10
Is the price worth it: Ehhh
My opinion on Beyond Two Souls (BTS) is two-fold.  As a game on its own just played for fun (or with a friend) it's a good game.  It's a fun game.  As a game that I am trying to platinum?  All I see are issues.  So my recommendation is play it, don't plat it.

I'm going to start with the good and move into the bad.  First, the graphics.  While there were a few popping textures here and there and a carpet obviously above PS3's rendering capability, for the most part, everything looked really good (for a PS3 game).  The people were human enough not to fall into the uncomfortable uncanny valley and most of the actions looked enough like they were supposed to.  Aside from food, food looked a little weird every time.  But considering how old it was and how much it relied on motion capture, I think it worked.

I know that a lot of people are a little mixed on this game, but I liked the story.  It was weird, it was bombastic but I liked it.  I don't really remember my first time through (it was 2016) but I'm neutral on the out-of-order storytelling.  It's pretty hard to follow the first time through but it was, well, it was an idea.  The second playthrough was much better, in that regard.  However, the game is not good enough to want an entire second playthrough.

Now, for some of the cons.  For one, the controls.  Oh boy, the controls.  I have never had a game which was so hard to actually play.  Moving Jodie around wasn't so bad (most of the time).  It wasn't always/ever obvious which way the dot was suggesting but it was functional.  However, the fact that instead of having control over the camera, I could more vaguely suggest a direction, sometimes it got hard to aim where I was trying to get her.  Aiden was even worse to control.  Yes, he has 360 camera control, which I would love to have on Jodie but he was limited where he could go.  It made sense in principle but could make it very hard to interact with a specific thing if you couldn't get the angle right.  Oh, also motion controls.  The PS3 motion controls are...well, every QTE that required them resulted in me just holding the controller over my head and shaking it.  That pretty much worked.  However, that is very unnatural and sort of ruins a bit of the flow.  Just give me normal buttons, please.

My final nitpick corner is just going to be a combination of whatever else I want to complain about.  First off, the 'healing' minigame.  Out of all of Aiden's powers I found that both the weirdest one from a story perspective, but also the hardest to control.  Since there's no indication which dot is the right stick and which dot is the left, I found it very, very hard to focus them both in a specific spot.  Luckily none of the healing events are timed or I completely would have failed.  The next is the save system.  I'm under the impression that some later games have a branched path so it's easier to jump around and work on trophies.  I would have enjoyed that a lot more than just having one 'active' save in which you have to go back and adjust things if I missed an ending.  Oh, and finally?  Unskippable credits.  Don't give me 8 endings and unskippable credits.

My final comment is that Ryan's relationship with Aiden is...really cute?  I love the transition from uncomfortable to putting up with him to then working together.  I like the transition from seeing Aiden as a useful power to another person on his own.

My overall review is listed in the beginning but in case you skipped to the end: decent game, fun with friends but a really tedious and annoying platinum.
  • Like 1