Let's Finish: Sen no Kiseki/Trails of Cold Steel

I don't want to use a guide or walkthrough for my first playthrough. Is there anything--spoiler-free please--that could significantly increase my time to plat that I need to look out for? Like the Adachi social link level that will force me to do a third playthrough of P4G when I finally go for plat.

2 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

I don't want to use a guide or walkthrough for my first playthrough. Is there anything--spoiler-free please--that could significantly increase my time to plat that I need to look out for? Like the Adachi social link level that will force me to do a third playthrough of P4G when I finally go for plat.

Cold Steel I or II for now?

2 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

CS1 is the trickier of the two to platinum because there are some things you can miss and need an additional playthrough to get because it takes two playthroughs to get them all.  That's going to be the trophies for the master quartz and the character notes.  At one point you'll receive a reward for something that allows you to pick from two master quartz and you get one per playthrough, so you have to be sure not to miss the conditions for it in your first.

The easy conditions are doing quests and getting battle notes.  Do all the quests offered to you and analyze each enemy you meet and you'll get those.  The potentially harder one is the notebook one.  You have to get at least half of the character notes in your first playthrough.  A good chunk of those are story or quest related.  Then you just have to talk to certain instructors in chapter 5 or later and the principal in the final chapter once you meet those conditions.

The other one is that there are two days where you have more characters who can give notes from bonding events than points for the events, so you'll have to get the rest in a second playthrough.  But if you pick the wrong characters the first time, you could miss out on some notes.  So I would highly advise to look at step 4 in the overall walkthrough in the second playthrough section.  That just lists out what days those come up and what characters you can get notes for along with the bonding points available.  Keep that in the back of your mind so you get at least half of the notes from those days.  What's also a joy is that those chapter 6 ones also are required for the bonding trophies, so you also want to be sure to pick the characters you have a good amount of link experience with among the ones you need the notes for.  I'd advise to save Sara and Towa's bonding trophies for the second playthrough because you are unlikely to get enough link experience in the first playthrough for them and you want to try and get at least 4 bonding trophies in your first playthrough and just aim for people available from chapter 1 onwards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fenrir54565 said:

sign me up I've got trails of cold steel 1 and 2 i haven't started on 2 yet been trying to finish 1 first

Added.

7 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

Ladynadiad already summed up everything. I know you said you don't want to use guide, but hasegawa's guide (guide as guide, not the walkthrough) is very spoiler-free in terms of actual story progression and concentrates on the trophies.

@XX_FTW, like everyone else said it is a bit tricky, unless you don't mind doing a 3rd playthrough. I find the walkthrough slightly less spoiler-free than the guide, though. I'm using it right now, but my purpose is to get all the missables in my 1st playthrough. For some reason I can't really sit back and enjoy the story if I knew I had to do a 3rd playthrough.

Speaking of 3rd playthrough, it looks like I have to do one. I missed a few enemy scans. Fortunately, I started Chapter 3, and if I scan every enemy from now on I'll just have to do a partial playthrough, or spend my point on Note carry over.

Sidenote: I might be able to finish early February, just in time for Dragon's New Year event. And I see that he recently purchased the game. 

Edited by Edunstar84

5 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Added.

Ladynadiad already summed up everything. I know you said you don't want to use guide, but hasegawa's guide (guide as guide, not the walkthrough) is very spoiler-free in terms of actual story progression and concentrates on the trophies.

I found the walkthrough for CS1 was pretty spoiler free as well.  hasegawa did a great job making a guide that won't ruin the fun of the first playthrough if someone wants to refer to either of them to ensure they don't miss the missables and the second playthrough section only covers the stuff that needs two playthroughs to get along with the stuff you aren't as likely to get naturally by playing the game twice (1 million mira, 100 hours played and 1000 battles won).

I should also add that technically it is doable to obtain all the bonding trophies in one playthrough, but it also will be very time consuming to use this method in CS1.  That's why I advised to aim for four of them because that's pretty easy to do without even trying.  The max you can get is seven.

Thankfully, CS2 is much easier.  The trophies that require a second playthrough in that one are things that are only available in a NG+ run and if you royally screw up the bonding trophies it's way easier to get them all in a single playthrough.

6 hours ago, HatiRagnarsson said:

And just because I like to see the world burn... Fie is the best

Why would the world burn from the truth? :awesome:

7 hours ago, Tenzai1980 said:

Oh and regarding your rule: is that even possible???:blink:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

Nope, tehe~ :awesome: 

7 hours ago, Tenzai1980 said:

please sign me up. I have already plated Sen I and i am planing to finish Sen II in the next month^^

Added

6 hours ago, HatiRagnarsson said:

I'd think about joining but I only have my nightmare play through of sen 2 left. 

Go for it, you may be the first Ash Knight :D

8 hours ago, HatiRagnarsson said:

I'd think about joining but I only have my nightmare play through of sen 2 left. 

Race you for being the first ash knight!  I'm working on my nightmare playthrough as well.

And considering who my favorite sen 2 character is, I'm going to decline to reply to the second part of that.

Thanks for answering my question, everyone. Especially the detailed answer by @ladynadiad. I was a bit lost on a couple of those points... I'm not sure yet if I'll just risk it for the sake of a natural playthrough or glance at the guide and hope it doesn't detract from my enjoyment. Good to hear the guide isn't spoilery. And yeah, knowing im doomed for three playthroughs can kill my momentum after the first clear.

Okay then, even though I only have the last nightmare playthrough left, I'm in.  Now that I'm back at work, let's see how much time I can dedicate to finishing this up.

13 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Why would the world burn from the truth? :awesome:

It wouldn't.  It would burn by those who refuse to acknowledge the truth.

Edited by HatiRagnarsson

21 hours ago, HatiRagnarsson said:

Fie was my favorite until sen 2,

Spoiler

where a certain other white haired loli shows up.

51 minutes ago, HatiRagnarsson said:

Okay then, even though I only have the last nightmare playthrough left, I'm in.  Now that I'm back at work, let's see how much time I can dedicate to finishing this up.

It wouldn't.  It would burn by those who refuse to acknowledge the truth.

Well, I'm female and straight, so I admit to an attraction to the hot and stupidly powerful swordsmen in this series.

Spoiler

Though I admit, Demon McBurn is also incredibly creepy with those eyes, freaky symbols and creepy voice.  Doesn't stop me from being oddly fascinated.

9 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

spoiler

Spoiler

Would you expect anything else from the second (we all know Joshua is no.1 :awesome:) most powerful Enforcer of the Society? =D

10 hours ago, deepwater324 said:

where a certain other white haired loli shows up.

Giliath Osborne? :awesome:

Spoiler

Kuro usagi is best by default, you can't count her xDD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:
  Hide contents

Would you expect anything else from the second (we all know Joshua is no.1 :awesome:) most powerful Enforcer of the Society? =D

Spoiler

Nope and especially not when he's most definitely not human.  It's also an interesting contrast to his normal lazy attitude that riles up Duvalie so much.  Those two are just way too hilarious together.

Just wondering if anyone is playing CS1 at the moment...Really enjoying the story so far. And I'm happy that I haven't forgotten some of the characters from Trails in the Sky. And also that one guy's voice *shudder*

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've only played the first Sky game. Waiting for the price to drop on the 2nd.

Edited by Edunstar84