Satoshi Ookami

Let's Finish: Sen no Kiseki/Trails of Cold Steel

160 posts in this topic

On 23.1.2017 at 11:48 PM, ladynadiad said:

I swear, I must be the only one here who cares more about the hot swordsmen.  Give me folks like Viscount Arseid, McBurn, Arios, and Loewe and I'm a happy girl.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

And I was a very very happy girl watching that duel between Viscount Arseid and McBurn in CS2.

 

I'm also very happy when Duvalie and McBurn bicker because the two of them are hilarious and someone needs to lock the two of them in a room together until one of them either kills the other or they make out already.  I'm sure it would be hot either way.

 

No you're not the only one who cares about the hot guys. <3 There are more of us than you think. ;)

 

 

Anyways both Sens completed. Now only Sen 1 US to plat for full stacks, gonna start it after finishing Aragami. :) Satoshi-san can update me to the event finisher list or whatever it is called. xD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Vincentto said:

Satoshi-san can update me to the event finisher list or whatever it is called. xD

Threw you to Sen II so far since you are going for Sen I stack =D

 

Congratulations on becoming Ashen Naito again. So... the only question I can ask now. Japanese or bad voices? :D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Threw you to Sen II so far since you are going for Sen I stack =D

 

Congratulations on becoming Ashen Naito again. So... the only question I can ask now. Japanese or bad voices? :D

The best option in localized versions is to switch the voices off(answer enough?) =DD though never even heard the english voices, first thing I did before starting the game was to switch the voices off. (Didnt want to lose my image of the characters) I can also reveal...THAT i prefered the japanese script aswell..Why the HELL are EVERYONE laughting in every freaking sentence?Thank goood I can skip the cutscenes now in full, no more Ahaha, hehe, haha and so on..

Rean's powers= ogre powers.. Lol.. Ogre= Shrek. In japanese they used oni which is not 100 % ogre or not the same as western ogre, more akin to demons.

Atleast got a new nickname for Rean.   xD 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Vincentto said:

In japanese they used oni which is not 100 % ogre or not the same as western ogre, more akin to demons.

Oh, please not. I'm quite allergic to this =D

Oni simply does not have an English counterpart, it's always localized badly :/

In fact, I got into argument about this in one of my Japanese classes, lol xD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Oh, please not. I'm quite allergic to this =D

Oni simply does not have an English counterpart, it's always localized badly :/

In fact, I got into argument about this in one of my Japanese classes, lol xD

I know! Demon is closest translation since they both hold the same variety of mythological creatures, etc, they both also go in the spirit(yokai) and god(kami) beliefs. So they are highly related to religion. .Same debate also comes in is Satan same as Enma? But anyway..The western ogre has noo variation at all.. In Rean's case

demon or anythingn else than Shrek...erh ogre, even oni would have been fine, these days I rarely see people who don't know what oni is...Rean is not an ogre who yells and swings his club around mindlessly.  While he could be a demon since he emits negative energy etc. which is "possible" for both onis and demons.

It's beyond my understanding why Xseed  would choose such a bad translation..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Vincentto said:

It's beyond my understanding why Xseed  would choose such a bad translation..

Maybe they wanted us to laugh at the thought of seeing Rean as Shrek xDDDD

 

43 minutes ago, CaptainMonkster said:

So how is this game? Is it anything like persona 4 golden in terms of friend bonding etc. ?

Technically yea, the bonding system is somehow similar.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vincentto said:

I know! Demon is closest translation since they both hold the same variety of mythological creatures, etc, they both also go in the spirit(yokai) and god(kami) beliefs. So they are highly related to religion. .Same debate also comes in is Satan same as Enma? But anyway..The western ogre has noo variation at all.. In Rean's case

  Hide contents

demon or anythingn else than Shrek...erh ogre, even oni would have been fine, these days I rarely see people who don't know what oni is...Rean is not an ogre who yells and swings his club around mindlessly.  While he could be a demon since he emits negative energy etc. which is "possible" for both onis and demons.

It's beyond my understanding why Xseed  would choose such a bad translation..

 

Actually I might have a thought on that, but it's going to depend on the Japanese word used for something else.

 

Spoiler

What was the Japanese word used to describe McBurn's transformation?  Because Xseed referred to that as a demon, and it is more evidently demonic.  So I'm guessing McBurn is specifically referred to as an akuma since that's so commonly translated as demon. 

 

If a different word was used there in Japanese, my thought is that the translation was meant to differentiate between the power level of those two and also to go with the fact that Rean couldn't control it and in CS1 he was indeed more like an ogre mindlessly swinging around a club.  McBurn's transformation is a lot more insanely powerful and he's much more in control of it, but on top of that he has access to more power even without the transformation so I can understand the need to differentiate between the two transformations because they are definitely not the same thing.

 

Of course to add even more of a mess to it, Xseed rather glossed over something else because I do recall Loewe mentioning at least the term for what Kernviter did to him.  The manga explains about Kernviter much better, but it is hinted at in SC and from what I remember it's pretty much absent in the localization and that definitely would be another factor that would explain a need to ensure that there is some differentiation between what Rean and McBurn turn into.

 

But anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one here who loves the hot guys.  Though I definitely have a soft spot for the swordsmen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

 

Actually I might have a thought on that, but it's going to depend on the Japanese word used for something else.

 

  Hide contents

What was the Japanese word used to describe McBurn's transformation?  Because Xseed referred to that as a demon, and it is more evidently demonic.  So I'm guessing McBurn is specifically referred to as an akuma since that's so commonly translated as demon. 

 

If a different word was used there in Japanese, my thought is that the translation was meant to differentiate between the power level of those two and also to go with the fact that Rean couldn't control it and in CS1 he was indeed more like an ogre mindlessly swinging around a club.  McBurn's transformation is a lot more insanely powerful and he's much more in control of it, but on top of that he has access to more power even without the transformation so I can understand the need to differentiate between the two transformations because they are definitely not the same thing.

 

Of course to add even more of a mess to it, Xseed rather glossed over something else because I do recall Loewe mentioning at least the term for what Kernviter did to him.  The manga explains about Kernviter much better, but it is hinted at in SC and from what I remember it's pretty much absent in the localization and that definitely would be another factor that would explain a need to ensure that there is some differentiation between what Rean and McBurn turn into.

 

But anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one here who loves the hot guys.  Though I definitely have a soft spot for the swordsmen.

 

Mcburn is a Majin(its an ultimate demonic being almost like a god) atleast his title is, (demon)ma and (god)shin it changes to jin when combined with some words.Main difference between an oni and majin is that majin usually answer to no one, while oni is usually just a pawn of some stronger boss oni. Get the picture of McBurn?

 


I don't usually take part in these DBZ power level bs, it has already ruined this series/fandom enough. But being an demon god, versus slighly demonic powers of Rean's says much don't you think? Being out of control of their power is pretty common for all RPG mcs. And demond are usually doing something like that aswell especially when they are near death. Also take note that Rean's speed increases when he gets his super power boost, I highly doubt ogres can go that fast. If xSeed wanted to point how strong and cruel his powers are, they'd drop the power in the end. Like he's slashing people like and ogre, anything like that would make it more clear that he's being op. But ogre power makes him sound like he turns in to some macho hulk when he gets power boost. Ogre power would suit someone like Laura better since she's very strong and capable of what an ogre could. Rean has a more supernatural feel to it, so Id rather use demon or demonic.

 

(Note: Why the hell did some part of this text go down there, Too many spoiler tags? Or did I break this site completely with my tablet, hell with mobile devices, lol. I can't even edit it what the hell xD)

 

 

Like I mentioned before both demon and oni have a lot of variation in their creatures. Cerberus and  Ninetails fox are perhaps the best that come in mind which dont look anything like "classic" demon or oni. Japan simply has more words for demon than english, we have a lot in Finland too so it's not that strange really. In the old days people really needed someone to blame.

 

 

Oh and Akuma is more like devil or christian demon. 

 

 

It's nice to see another girl once in a while taking interest in this series. :D I like all kinds of hot men (anyone I can sexualise is fine) . But I take high liking to swordmen too.

 

 
demon god, versus slighly demonic powers of Rean's says pretty much don't you think? Being out of control of their power is pretty common for all RPG mcs. And demons are usually doing something like that aswell especially when they are near death. Also take a note that that Rean's speed increases when he gets his super power boost, I highly doubt ogres can go that fast. If xSeed wanted point how strong and cruel his powers are, they'd drop the power in the end. Like: he's slashing people like an ogre, anything like that would make it more clear that he's being op. But ogre power makes it sound like he turns in to some macho hulk when he gets power boost. Ogre power would suit someone like Laura better since she's very strong and capable of what an ogre could. Rean has more super natural feeling to it so, Id rather use demon or demonic of him.
 
Edited by Vincentto
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vincentto said:

Spoilery stuff that the forum decided to delete on me instead of quoting

 

Spoiler

The reason why I asked about the Japanese term was i was wondering if it was more leaning towards describing McBurn as a demon, or if they used a similar term as the one used for Loewe which is more of a certain type of demi-god that only make sense with a knowledge of Japanese myth, basically as I recall the kanji could be read as either Shura or Asura.  With the term meaning more of a demon god, that actually makes perfect sense and actually does explain something that I've felt was missing as well.  Since pretty much the use of majin would probably imply that what McBurn is would be a combination of both demon and the Shura/Asura that Loewe is which is another support for the fact that the Demonic Sword Angbar probably has a lot in common with Kernviter (which is hinted at in CS2).  That's another thing that was translated poorly in SC because Loewe does outright mention it and that was completely missing in the English.

 

So my thought was that the difference in terms was indeed to ensure there was definitely a difference in what Rean is and what McBurn is because the two of them are similar, but not the same.  The issue is, since the English so glossed over the Shura/Asura thing, it was hard to tell if the Demonic Sword Angbar had a similar curse as Kernviter.  So pretty much what McBurn is would be a combination of a much more powerful version of Rean, plus what Loewe is.  So yeah, insane levels of power.

 

So I do get Xseed wanting to be sure there is a difference, but the lack of decent English terms that don't requite knowledge that is commonly lacking among US players especially, makes that very difficult.  I don't fault them for doing their best because seriously, it's a failure of American education in actually teaching about religions outside of Christianity even on a factual basis so we can better understand other cultures.  About the only thing we're taught is greek/roman myth and some norse.  And neither of those have good terms among what people are typically taught (yes, both have great terms, but most people don't know of anything outside the gods and popular stories).

 

And on a less spoilery note.  Who is everyone's favorite characters in CS?  I think I've pretty much revealed that McBurn and Viscount Arseid are mine, but I'm also rather fond of Duvalie.

Edited by ladynadiad
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Laura, obviously, and maybe Emma. That's only because I'm interested to know her story. Haven't played the second one yet.

 

EDIT: I forgot to add Fie! Love her character! Her green eyes against her silver hair is striking.

Edited by Edunstar84
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ladynadiad said:

 

  Hide contents

The reason why I asked about the Japanese term was i was wondering if it was more leaning towards describing McBurn as a demon, or if they used a similar term as the one used for Loewe which is more of a certain type of demi-god that only make sense with a knowledge of Japanese myth, basically as I recall the kanji could be read as either Shura or Asura.  With the term meaning more of a demon god, that actually makes perfect sense and actually does explain something that I've felt was missing as well.  Since pretty much the use of majin would probably imply that what McBurn is would be a combination of both demon and the Shura/Asura that Loewe is which is another support for the fact that the Demonic Sword Angbar probably has a lot in common with Kernviter (which is hinted at in CS2).  That's another thing that was translated poorly in SC because Loewe does outright mention it and that was completely missing in the English.

 

So my thought was that the difference in terms was indeed to ensure there was definitely a difference in what Rean is and what McBurn is because the two of them are similar, but not the same.  The issue is, since the English so glossed over the Shura/Asura thing, it was hard to tell if the Demonic Sword Angbar had a similar curse as Kernviter.  So pretty much what McBurn is would be a combination of a much more powerful version of Rean, plus what Loewe is.  So yeah, insane levels of power.

 

So I do get Xseed wanting to be sure there is a difference, but the lack of decent English terms that don't requite knowledge that is commonly lacking among US players especially, makes that very difficult.  I don't fault them for doing their best because seriously, it's a failure of American education in actually teaching about religions outside of Christianity even on a factual basis so we can better understand other cultures.  About the only thing we're taught is greek/roman myth and some norse.  And neither of those have good terms among what people are typically taught (yes, both have great terms, but most people don't know of anything outside the gods and popular stories).

 

And on a less spoilery note.  Who is everyone's favorite characters in CS?  I think I've pretty much revealed that McBurn and Viscount Arseid are mine, but I'm also rather fond of Duvalie.

 

 

Asura/Ashura is not originally from japan but from Hindi (I think India?). Ashura is the lowest rank of demigod if I recall, at least in japanese buddhism.  On my speculations because of the buddhism thing Loewe can reincarnate, but just a speculation...ehehe 

:P

 

An ogre is still different than demon, demon has variety even in america while I think the ogre is still ogre. But let's agree to disagree. Xseed probably lacks the same education. xD The ogre part makes "Shrek" more fun.  

 

 

My favorites are: Lloyd, Rixia (because from the best games, lol)  ,Toval(hawt), Neithardt(such hawt), Mueller (also hawt) ,Viscount Arseid, Sara (because she can wash the floor with almost every boss even on nightmare, OP, she's cool too)and Olaf! (who wouldn't like him) Sometimes I think these games would be better if it was about Class G:s, I mean..heh Class VII:s parents. Angelique is hilarious too and as a special let's throw lovely Sharon in there too. :)

 

 

If I had to choose from Class VII: I guess Jusis, Gaius and Millium.

 

Who did everyone use? In CS I, (both times)I had males/boys only. With US CS I think I'll try different team. :) In CS II I had: Rean (As Lloyd, because reasons ;) ), Jusis, Toval (Gaius when Toval was missing) and Sara (ofcourse)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we are talking about Sen, it's all about Fie :awesome:

 

But everyone knows best girls are in my avatar :awesome::awesome::awesome:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Since we are talking about Sen, it's all about Fie :awesome:

 

But everyone knows best girls are in my avatar :awesome::awesome::awesome:

Oh no! How could I forget Fie...I'll add her to my list!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems interesting~
I would like to get platinum on both games~ 
I have the Chinese translated versions of CSI and CSII, is that ok?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ZeroAsterisk said:

This seems interesting~
I would like to get platinum on both games~ 
I have the Chinese translated versions of CSI and CSII, is that ok?

Yea, sure, no problem, more languages the better =D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished my first playthrough. It was good, I liked it.

 

I'm interested in playing the sequel, I like their default costumes more than the school outfits from the first game.

Edited by A-Brawl3r
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally plat the first game after 150 hours of playing and 3 playthroughs~
I just started playing the sequel. Is it just me or the hit rate has been nerfed really badly?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZeroAsterisk said:

I finally plat the first game after 150 hours of playing and 3 playthroughs~

Congrats, you have been added to the Hall of Fame.

Since you are already playing Sen II, I guess it's pointless to ask whether you are excited for the sequel xD

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about at the end of my first playthrough of Cold Steel II (I'm in the epilogue), so I'm getting through it slowly but surely. :P But I just noticed I missed 1 character note (Klien's 1st note), don't know how that happened since I've been following a guide from beginning to end. -_- I know I can get it in the second run, but it still sucks because I wanted to get all those kinda trophies during my first playthrough! :shakefist:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Masamune said:

I'm about at the end of my first playthrough of Cold Steel II (I'm in the epilogue), so I'm getting through it slowly but surely. :P But I just noticed I missed 1 character note (Klien's 1st note), don't know how that happened since I've been following a guide from beginning to end. -_- I know I can get it in the second run, but it still sucks because I wanted to get all those kinda trophies during my first playthrough! :shakefist:

 

I did the same thing actually, but missed three actually and all from the same day.  At least character notes isn't as bad to miss as the treasure chests.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I did the same thing actually, but missed three actually and all from the same day.  At least character notes isn't as bad to miss as the treasure chests.

Yeah, thankfully that's the only thing I missed (got all chests, monster entries, etc).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Masamune said:

Yeah, thankfully that's the only thing I missed (got all chests, monster entries, etc).

I missed the chests somehow. now I'm double and triple checking every time with 2 guides.

Edited by A-Brawl3r
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A-Brawl3r said:

I missed the chests somehow. now I'm double and triple checking every time with 2 guides.

Make sure to use that Detection Quartz, after I got that, I didn't even need the guide's maps. There are a couple chests that can be hard to spot on the map though (due to it having overlapping layers), so you'd probably want to at least have a check-list or something.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A-Brawl3r said:

I missed the chests somehow. now I'm double and triple checking every time with 2 guides.

 

Just copy the list in the trophy guide to a word doc or something and delete each item as you find it.  That worked for me in both games because the truly tricky chests are the ones not in dungeons if you are following the walkthroughs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.