Free PSPlus Games for January

Sora9427

18 hours ago, Slipknot_rooney said:

I don't think the games are bad quality. Can you tell me which games are of bad quality on RedMustang72's list? Have you complained directly to Sony by the way? 

Unrelated but I never order a medium rare steak, always well done. 

It's not just about the bad quality, we occasionally get really good indies, but also about repetition. Last year we had 2-3 months in a row where we got 2D sidescrollers. We got absolutely terrible, broken games where you can't achieve a trophy or finish the game. I forgot the name of that game, it was an RPG, Dragon Soup something. We got the first episode (that is now free for everyone) of a 5-episode game. Dead Star is unplayable a few months after it came out, all servers are down. Oh and not to mention Gone Home and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, it's a crime to market those as video games. Joke's on me, I played them.

It wasn't all bad and I still get my money's worth from Rocket League. Journey was good and I really enjoyed the Tower of Monsters, no matter how silly it was. We just used to get games much better than the ones we get now. This isn't about Indie or AAA, this is about good or bad. And these games we got in December and now in January lack quality compared to older months. I would rather get a good Indie than a bad AAA game but 2D, pixely games don't have a place on the PS4 4 years after release. That's my opinion but I'm glad if others enjoy those titles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DennisWilles said:

It's not just about the bad quality, we occasionally get really good indies, but also about repetition. Last year we had 2-3 months in a row where we got 2D sidescrollers. We got absolutely terrible, broken games where you can't achieve a trophy or finish the game. I forgot the name of that game, it was an RPG, Dragon Soup something. We got the first episode (that is now free for everyone) of a 5-episode game. Dead Star is unplayable a few months after it came out, all servers are down. Oh and not to mention Gone Home and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, it's a crime to market those as video games. Joke's on me, I played them.

It wasn't all bad and I still get my money's worth from Rocket League. Journey was good and I really enjoyed the Tower of Monsters, no matter how silly it was. We just used to get games much better than the ones we get now. This isn't about Indie or AAA, this is about good or bad. And these games we got in December and now in January lack quality compared to older months. I would rather get a good Indie than a bad AAA game but 2D, pixely games don't have a place on the PS4 4 years after release. That's my opinion but I'm glad if others enjoy those titles. 

I don't think anyone would deny that the Plus has had problems over the years, nor that there's been some poor decisions made.   I agree about Dragon Fin Soup, the first instalment of an episodic game, disappearing servers...I played through New Little King's Story, and Platted it, almost entirely in slo-mo given the port was so bad.   Some of these issues are more Sony themselves than the Plus though, we can't say some of this is OK as long as it's not part of the IGC.   How Dragon Fin and New Little King's even passed QA is stunning.   As to Gone Home, Rapture, that's just subjective, many have enjoyed and do enjoy these games and I don't find much of a point here other than personal taste.

Some people are making an issue out of the idea that the Plus isn't free...it never has been free, it's always been a premium subscription service, it's changed format over the years, and some might feel as if they're being held hostage over the online aspect now, which is fair, but ultimately it's all about value for money, and the aforementioned quality of content.   What bothers me about the hysteria surrounding Plus, you know, omg this is soooo bad, remember when Plus was good warcry, is just how much people want to cherry pick what they compare.   They certainly don't want to mention the first three or so years of Plus, when it was full of PS One games and Minis, which by all means, if you want to compare the quality of anything on the 2016 list to Hungry Giraffe or Coconut Dodge, maybe Jelly Pops...or that legendary, industry changer, mini...Bloons!

I accept that the games on offer might not be to your taste, whether they be a 2D pixely bowl of diced veg or a walking sim, but that doesn't mean they are poor quality or bad games.  Plus can be frustrating, for many reasons, but I still see the value.   I've no problem with people complaining, I agree with a lot of the sensible points, it's just the over-exaggeration sometimes or the self-interest masquerading as genuine grievance...the I personally don't like the games on offer this month therefore the service is terrible, where's my pitchfork...?    I'm not saying 2016 is the best year Plus has had, but it gave out some pretty good games and was well worth the $60 imo.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 4:49 PM, aznchibiz said:

Another disappointing month for PS+ :(. After everyone complained about the PS+ price hike and the lack of any triple A titles in their selection, you’d think SONY would learn, but it seems they didn’t.

This is true although its only January remember February 2016 they gave us Infamous First Light i feel something similar will happen come February 2017 because January 2016 it was the same mediocre stuff too. 

On 28.12.2016 at 10:06 PM, milanbarca82 said:

I just read this on another forum and I thought it was funny :giggle:

"

Hi it Is Me, Entitled Gamer.

It’s time for me to write in and say that as an entitled gamer like 90% of the people who post in this forum, I deserve nothing less than AAA titles every month. I do not understand the principles of economics, I just know that I deserve only top rated games. I pay 60 dollars a year which means I should have 60 dollar games every month that just came out within the last two months. When that doesn’t happen, I will take to reddit and every other forum that will listen to me prattle on and complain about how the selection is weak and I don’t know what I am paying for and threaten to quit.

The thing is, I will never quit because I need my PSN connection as the only way to communicate to the outside world in the form of yelling swear words, racial epithets, and insults about peoples family members while I play online games.

Yours In Entitlement,

Entitled Gamer.

P.S. I don’t know if I was clear enough, but I deserve only 60$ titles every month for my 60$/year subscription.

"

Yeah, incredibly funny. I fell asleep while laughing.

On 29.12.2016 at 1:41 AM, Slipknot_rooney said:

By any chance are you Entitled Gamer? Mentioned in MilanBarca82's post?

So much better to feel rightfully entitled against a bloodsucking company like $ony than to be one of their brownnosing followers.

1 hour ago, DarkSoleride said:

This is true although its only January remember February 2016 they gave us Infamous First Light i feel something similar will happen come February 2017 because January 2016 it was the same mediocre stuff too. 

I doubt it. 2016 was filled with indies; I wouldnt be surprised if SONY continued with the pattern.

We only had 2 good months for PS+. The first one was when Rocket League was on PS+ in the summer and the second one was when they had Lords of the Fallen. However, the PS+ month with Lords of the Fallen only came about because everyone complained to SONY about the price hike and publicly spoke out about quitting/dropping PS+.

Edited by aznchibiz

On 12/30/2016 at 11:44 AM, Liv3urway said:

I doubt it. 2016 was filled with indies; I wouldnt be surprised if SONY continued with the pattern.

We only had 2 good months for PS+. The first one was when Rocket League was on PS+ in the summer and the second one was when they had Lords of the Fallen. However, the PS+ month with Lords of the Fallen only came about because everyone complained to SONY about the price hike and publicly spoke out about quitting/dropping PS+.

That's clearly wrong. We had at least 5 "good" months of plus games, generally. Im not basing months on personal interest, but the general reception of the games themselves... so 5 at least.

Rocket League also did not come from plus this year... lol... that was 2015.

6 hours ago, Mar said:

That's clearly wrong. We had at least 5 "good" months of plus games, generally. Im not basing months on personal interest, but the general reception of the games themselves... so 5 at least.

Rocket League also did not come from plus this year... lol... that was 2015.

My bad , you're right, Rocket league came out in 2015.

Also, you can't say I'm wrong if you don't know what meets my criteria for good. In this case, it was personal preference. After re-looking at the list, I  still only perceive 2 months (September and October) as the good months for PS Plus as they actually had games I was interested in playing from the PS+ catalogue. In terms of general reception then you’re right. I can see we had at least 5-6 good months of PS+ (i.e. hardware rivals month, persona ultimax month, lords of the fallen month, etc.).

On 2016-12-29 at 8:19 AM, Slipknot_rooney said:

Unrelated but I never order a medium rare steak, always well done. 

wow youre a monster

On 2016-12-29 at 9:14 PM, BillyHorrible said:

I bought Day Of The Tentacle right away and I don't regret it. Most stuff from Double Fine ends up on PS+ about a year after release, I knew what I was in for. I'll buy Full Throttle as well, no way I'm waiting a year and I don't mind sponsoring them.

im not giving double fine another cent directly.

2 hours ago, mako-heart said:

im not giving double fine another cent directly.

Care to elaborate?

Personally I think they're making a lot of fun ganes and their quest to update classic point and click games from the golden years of LucasArts is awesome. I'm actually about to purchase one of their games I initially missed out on (Psychonauts) in the current EU sale.

Days of the Tentacle looks interesting... but honestly the people complaining about those who are sound just as bad...

We've literally had indies all year except a month or two? I would say anyone has the right to complain about that.. it's not like Sony is an indie company that can't afford at least 3-4 months of AAA titles (I'm talking Knack, Killzone Shadowfall.. stuff that can be had for relatively cheap). 

Just my two cents. 

I'm actually looking forward to play these games. I've heard Day of the Tentacle is pretty fun in it's own way, and This War of Mine got some decent reviews (at least how I remember, could be wrong).

If these weren't free I would never buy them, while maybe I will quite like them in the end. I mean, I owned an Xbox 360 from launch untill around 2011, payed gold subscrition for all those years and never got anything in return. 

14 hours ago, Liv3urway said:

My bad , you're right, Rocket league came out in 2015.

Also, you can't say I'm wrong if you don't know what meets my criteria for good. In this case, it was personal preference. After re-looking at the list, I  still only perceive 2 months (September and October) as the good months for PS Plus as they actually had games I was interested in playing from the PS+ catalogue. In terms of general reception then you’re right. I can see we had at least 5-6 good months of PS+ (i.e. hardware rivals month, persona ultimax month, lords of the fallen month, etc.).

Like I said, generally speaking, since you claimed what you said from a seemingly general view. But even from a personal perspective, I doubt you played all the games to make that kind of statement anyway (60+ games were bad to you if so). (Cause) Personally wise, game's reception is irrelevant if you enjoyed them, but generally off reception as I said, we had at least five "good" (above 5/10) months of games.

already have blazerush and day of the tentacle.... 

unless they somehow offer the ps4 version of blazerush, likely only going to be seeing 4 new additions.

needing some backlog fodder anyway (more games to play ftw).

Edited by kingdrake2

On 2017-01-01 at 10:09 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Care to elaborate?

Personally I think they're making a lot of fun ganes and their quest to update classic point and click games from the golden years of LucasArts is awesome. I'm actually about to purchase one of their games I initially missed out on (Psychonauts) in the current EU sale.

Not really, because I'm not trying to start anything. It boils down to: I hate Tim.

All the games are available for Download right now for who wants here in EU Store, This war & Titan soul really Are Light, didn't expect Tentacle to "weight" more than this 2 togheter O.o

As always since sony is shit with Vita and forget that people actually have it and play there on the Plus store there is only Azken so for Tentacle you have to Download it by searching, for Titan soul even worst, it's not even on the Vita store! So you have to download it Via Pc or Ps4 and then search the downloded content and there it is. (Same for the Swindle)...

Edited by Sora9427

9 minutes ago, Sora9427 said:

All the games are available for Download right now for who wants

Careful, the games all still show prices here in the US. You might be tricking a bunch of people into buying them by telling them they're available right now until you know they're really Free for everyone.

On 30/12/2016 at 11:50 AM, DuckSwimmer said:

If I had a penny for every time there was a PS Plus game in the line up that I already bought, id be rich.

In other words Day of the Tentacle is an extremely fun game. It's a point and click game, the humor is pretty amusing. It's also a pretty simple plat.

Gotta be smart with what you buy. If I had a dollar every game I buy that eventually go to PS+, I'd have around $10-15.

Don't buy indie games at all unless you're okay seeing them go free, and you'll likely enjoy these months.

18 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Careful, the games all still show prices here in the US. You might be tricking a bunch of people into buying them by telling them they're available right now until you know they're really Free for everyone.

Fixed then.

Anyway somebody should actually noticed, i noticed this morning when Titan soul had still the Price instead of "Download" xD

Edited by Sora9427

41 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I'd like to believe that nobody would accidentally buy a game if they expectit to be free since free games don't go through the cart page any more. Accidentally paying for a free game is a pretty silly and preventable thing to do.

1 hour ago, Sora9427 said:

Fixed then.

Anyway somebody should actually noticed, i noticed this morning when Titan soul had still the Price instead of "Download" xD

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'd like to believe that nobody would accidentally buy a game if they expectit to be free since free games don't go through the cart page any more. Accidentally paying for a free game is a pretty silly and preventable thing to do.

As someone's status earlier was about them adding games and not realizing until the very end that one had a price, I would also like to think the same things as you, but now I question whether people would pay attention. That person speculated that Sony has probably already made money off the scenario, meaning they believe people wouldn't notice.