Great PS3 games that aren't part of a series and likely never will be?

Dreakon139

A relatively picky request of mine. When I made my new PSN account, I wanted to keep my games list short and full of games I really enjoy. After platting 4 of them, burning out on GTA and NHL a bit, saving Resident Evil 5 for when I find a partner and saving the LittleBigPlanet's for when I have time with the girlfriend (they're the only games she'll play), I'm kind of thinking I might go find another game to enjoy.

That said though, I don't want anymore series. Are there any great PS3 games (with trophies) that aren't part of a series and likely never will be? Something like Assassin's Creed 2 or God of War III would just make me want to get their various sequels and prequels and come closer to ruining my idea of keeping a quaint little game collection. I'm thinking more along the lines of Heavy Rain.

My only other idea being MAG, though I wonder if that'll get a sequel someday. And I'm not a huge fan of FPS's. You get the idea though. Any ideas?

EDIT: Oh, and it doesn't have to be PS3 exclusive.

EDIT 2: Oh, and no PSN games. Full retail releases. Something I can go to the store and buy and get a nice case and manual and disc. :)

Red Dead Redemption is the best game I can recommend to you. Although it has a predecessor, Red Dead Revolver, that game is seven years old and not necessary to enjoy Redemption to its fullest. It's got countless hours of gameplay and is loads of fun. Keep in mind though, if you want 100% out of this one you'll have to spend some money on DLC.

As for your problem, couldn't you just sell any extra games that don't fit in with your quaint, little game collection?

As for your problem, couldn't you just sell any extra games that don't fit in with your quaint, little game collection?

I like my game collection to match my PSN game/trophy list. That way anyone that looks at my list knows what I own and what I can play at any given time (makes matching potential multiplayer games with new friends all the easier, and its just nicer to look at for me). A smaller collection is cool as well because then I can aim to platinum all of my games, even if I never do, instead of completely overwhelming my self trophy-wise with tens of games... all of varying length and difficulty.

That's more or less why I made a new PSN account (this is my second one). My list was getting cluttered with a bunch of games I either didn't like all that much or didn't own anymore.

The word great is throwing me, as great games tend to have sequels, the only game I can think of is Heavenly Sword, it's at least an 8/10 for me and a Playstation exclusive, they were going to make a sequel but they scrapped it in favour of making Enslaved which as our resident goblin pointed out, suffered from poor sales. However Heavenly Sword doesn't have trophies though.

great games with no sequels?

gran turismo 5, youll have to wait an other 6 years for gran turismo 6...

NieR <<< must get

sonic and sega all stars racing

3d dot game heroes

heavy rain

godfather 2 (its a sequel, but the first doesnt have trophies)

3D Dot Game Heroes, Demon's Souls (although you could consider Dark Souls a sequel, it isn't, it's a spiritual successor), Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles (hopefully someday they'll prove me wrong and release another one on the PS3).

Folklore and Valkyria Chronicles don't have trophy support.

3D Dot Game Heroes, Demon's Souls

These two stick out to me a little bit. 3D Dot Game Heroes seems like kind of a cool Zelda-ish game, it's PS3 exclusive and from what I hear pretty good.

I have a question to all of those who have Demon's Souls though. What's up with the multiplayer? I remember hearing a while ago they were taking the servers down (making the platinum impossible). Has that happened? If not, do they still intend to bring them down sometime?

3D Dot Game Heroes is a bitch platinum and a lame game. Some annoying instances-

- Your sword is only as powerful as your health bar. When you get hit, you lose most of your sword's length.

- Gameplay is painfully repetitive, and the sword's full length makes things easy, getting damaged makes fighting out of a jam impossible.

- No matter where you save, you always start the game in front of the castle, meaning you have to go back through large areas that you already cleared, that are now full of monsters.

Sad...

Well, any Demon's Souls players around? I could go for a good kinda action-RPGish game... but I'd be kind of ticked if I got into it just to watch the servers go down lol.

3D Dot Game Heroes is a bitch platinum and a lame game...

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. I personally found 3D Dot Game Heroes to be an absolutely fantastic game and a wonderful throwback to the early Zelda games, particularly "A Link To The Past." If you aren't a fan of those games I can see why you wouldn't like it, but I can't recommend the game enough.

Also, I've heard nothing about the Demon's Souls servers being taken down. I'll check tonight and report back here.

Parker

• Like 1

I have a question to all of those who have Demon's Souls though. What's up with the multiplayer? I remember hearing a while ago they were taking the servers down (making the platinum impossible). Has that happened? If not, do they still intend to bring them down sometime?

I don't know that there are any trophies that require the "multiplayer". Which are you talking about?

Also, I've had a weird experience with what you're calling the "multiplayer". In my time of playing Demon's Souls, which granted isn't very long, I have never had an encounter with another player online. The only hint of online features are the notes that other players leave behind and their ghosts or souls or whatever showing their deaths. I have only heard of PvP gameplay, and understand that there are cooperative boss fights through uses of special stones, but still, I've yet to experience it. From what I've played, Demon's Souls is pretty much a single player game.

Server status can be checked here: http://www.atlus.com...erverstatus.htm

I'd like to lend my general thoughts on the game. For me it was very difficult, and as such I saw the trophies as being very difficult, although many are story related. I've only collected two myself, from defeating the first two bosses. However, there are others that find the game laughable in ease, which makes no sense to me. I guess there's a fine line between expert and mediocre RPG players.

I don't know that there are any trophies that require the "multiplayer". Which are you talking about?

Also, I've had a weird experience with what you're calling the "multiplayer". In my time of playing Demon's Souls, which granted isn't very long, I have never had an encounter with another player online. The only hint of online features are the notes that other players leave behind and their ghosts or souls or whatever showing their deaths. I have only heard of PvP things, and understand that there are cooperative boss fights through uses of special stones, but still, I've yet to experience it. From what I've played, Demon's Souls is pretty much a single player game.

Server status can be checked here: http://www.atlus.com...erverstatus.htm

I'd like to lend my general thoughts on the game. For me it was very difficult, and I saw the trophies as being very difficult, although many are story related. I've only collected two myself, from defeating the first two bosses. However, there are others that find the game laughable in ease, which makes no sense to me. I guess there's a fine line between expert and mediocre RPG players.

My apologies, after looking at little more into it, it turns out there really aren't any multiplayer trophies. I just remember when news came out of Demon's Souls multiplayer going down, a lot of people were in a tizzy about it... rushing to try and platinum their games. I assumed that was because of multiplayer trophies, but now that I think about it, it was probably because people were rushing to boost... or something lol.

From what I can tell, they extended the online portions of the game until October 2011.

After watching a video review or two about it, the online certainly isn't what I've been envisioning in my head... but if I did get Demon's Souls, I think I would want to before the online goes down. Even if it's rare you encounter someone, it seems like a very unique online experience. Almost reminiscent of the game Journey coming out soon. You simply encounter others (or the spirit of others?) as you play, and they can either try and kill you or assist you. The notes and stuff definitely seem cool too, and helpful. I'd probably miss them when they go lol. Watching other players final moments before death seems like a neat little distraction as well.

Either way, seems cool... albeit probably a difficult, difficult plat for me since it's not my usual genre of game.

From my entire collection of games, I can only see Red Dead Redemption and The Saboteur being plausible suggestions. I would recommend the GOTY edition of RDR which has been hinted (if not announced) to be released later this year/early 2012.

On a different note, keep me in mind when you come to doing Resident Evil 5, I've platted the game before on my previous account. I decided a while back to re-play it again, but waiting for a good partner. ;)

On a different note, keep me in mind when you come to doing Resident Evil 5, I've platted the game before on my previous account. I decided a while back to re-play it again, but waiting for a good partner. ;)

I think I may take you up on that someday. I never platinum'd it, but I did play through it split-screen with a friend on Normal and Veteran on my old account. I've since moved so I no longer have anyone to play it with and I really haven't touched it much on this account yet... though I did buy all the DLC in the event I did decide to go on a RE5 binge.

I'm not quite at a point where I plan on re-playing it yet (got other games to work on), but I'll add you on PSN. :)

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. I personally found 3D Dot Game Heroes to be an absolutely fantastic game and a wonderful throwback to the early Zelda games, particularly "A Link To The Past." If you aren't a fan of those games I can see why you wouldn't like it, but I can't recommend the game enough.

Hmm... after looking the game over, it seems like a complete rip-off of the old Zelda games... which is fantastic! :)

I used to play A Link To The Past on my Game Boy night after night after night. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Zelda fan, as I haven't played one since then... but I absolutely adored that game. While I'm sure 3D Dot Game Heroes lacks a bit of the character and charm of a classic Zelda title, it seems to have the gameplay down to a tee. I think this might have been the diamond in the rough I was looking for when I started this thread up.

How tough is the platinum do you (anyone can answer lol) think?

Either way, seems cool... albeit probably a difficult, difficult plat for me since it's not my usual genre of game.

It's notorious for being very unforgiving, but extremely satisfying. Unfortunately, I only got a taste of the former, lol. When you die once, you're freaking screwed for the rest of the game unless you've got the right stones or meet other super rare circumstances.

If you do end up getting it, my best advice is to do your research before you play. Tons of it. You'll find yourself making permanent mistakes which will be far too late to avoid if you wait until after you've played for a bit.

Platinum requires 3 playthroughs. Really hard, considering one must be done without deaths.

Ouch... might join GTAIV and NHL 11 in my "games I probably won't platinum" list if I do get it then (though I made this account in an attempt to fill it with as many platinums as I can). Who knows though, maybe I'll have a nack for it.

This is a hard question - there's so much money in sequels, sadly, so originality takes a backseat these days.

Enslaved, Resonance of Fate, Bayonetta and Mirror's Edge spring to mind.

If you only get one, get Mirror's Edge. It's one of the most underappreciated games on the PS3.

for me, i'll have to say MAG was great at it's prime, not as good now as it used to be, but still something worth mentioning. i don't plan on getting a sequel if there will be one just yet though.

Oh, I doubt there'll be a MAG sequel.

My opinion on MAG, for comparison - the game was best when it was in beta. Ever since then, all the fun (yes, ALL the fun) has been patched out of it. It is now a chore to play. Avoid it like you'd avoid intercontinental ballistic missiles.

Oh, I doubt there'll be a MAG sequel.

My opinion on MAG, for comparison - the game was best when it was in beta. Ever since then, all the fun (yes, ALL the fun) has been patched out of it. It is now a chore to play. Avoid it like you'd avoid intercontinental ballistic missiles.

nah, i still have a clan to play it with, and they're still active on it as i type this! but based on the things they've told me in the past couple days, MAG is really dying, more than it was before.

Throwing my 2 cents in here. I would have to say The Saboteur. It isnt as polished as some other games, but I still found it fun. The platinum is time consuming but you're killing Nazis while collecting vintage cars.

Bayonetta is good too. Her ass alone makes the game worth playing. If you're looking for an easy plat, Dante's Inferno. It wont get a sequel for sure (unless EA/Visceral decides to make Purgatory and Paradise...highly doubt it). Red Dead Redemption is also a great game, especially that they are releasing the last DLC for free soon.