SMB Maneuvering Tips

TheYuriG

Just some info for the level guides I'll be making, stuff I'm going to keep mentioning in the guides, so people using those guides need to have this in mind. I've made all the gifs myself with footage I've also recorded myself and cut them to only show what is relevant. I still need to edit LOADS of footage to finish the guides, but the raw material is already complete. Should take me about 2 more weeks to finish everything and start making the threads. I did find out all of this myself (including the video strategies) and named it myself too, but since the game is 5 years old, I very much doubt that I'm the first one to discover any of this. For the sake of organization I'm putting this up so it's easier to follow the video guides.

JUMPS

There are 2 basic types of jump which are the extreme ones. One I call Soft jumping because that's the quickest tap you can give at the jumping button which will give you the perfect lowest height possible. The second type is the Hard Jump which is the opposite, holding the jumping button for the longest (relevant) time possible, giving you the max possible height for you jump. This seems like something really basic and it really is, but the name need to be given so when they are mentioned in the guides, you know EXACTLY what you are supposed to do. Unfortunately I don't have any GIFs for this (yet), but again, do I really need to?

WALL SKATING

Jumping Height vs Wall Skating Height.

If you played enough SMB, you must have noticed that wall skating takes you much higher than simply jumping (if you max hold both). It is actually a skill to have mastered in several stages when you are doing Iron Man runs. A lot of times you are going to start climbing stuff through wall skating. so focus on learning how to do that properly as soon as you can because it will be vital. 7X-6 is the greatest example of this, Wall Skating properly is the difference between a win and a fail.

igzsib5.gif

Wall Skating with max jump hold

One of the most important things about wall skating is that the height is measured by how long you hold the jumping button. Even though SMB is a fast paced platformer, a lot of times you are meant to take your time with your jumps and wall skate as high as possible. 7X-3 is one of the biggest proofs of this.

3SAuSkd.gif

Wall Skating without max jump hold

c2HoPbR.gif

Jumping toward a wall with a small ammount of upward skating

As said before, climbing walls without skating doesn't make you go as high as you can see in the gif above, Meat Boy doesn't go higher than 60% of this total wall skating height. You don't need to start wall skating with from the beginning of the wall, but the earlier (jumping wise) you start wall skating, the higher you are going.

REFRESHING JUMPS

Some characters have an air jump feature. With those characters you can refresh your jumps every time you touch a wall or ground, even if only for a second. The biggest holder of this feature is The Kid, but Ogmo and Pink Knight also can do such. The Pink Knight has only 1 jump and 1 upward boost, different from the other 2 characters which have 2 jumps, regardless if done on ground or on air.

c08PZT0.gif

Pink Knight refreshing jumps in 3X-14

This technique is fairly useful in several spots of the game and in various situations which are going to be more clear by watching the guide videos. Hell is one of the worlds with most notable use of this technique which should become fairly common when doing Iron Man runs.

6obtBz8.gifTKNHbGy.gif

The Kid refreshing jumps at 3X-14 and 1-1 respectively

Since by touching a wall or the ground you are refreshing your jumps, this is going to let you use your total ammount of jumps again until you run out of them or touch another wall or ground.

You can also use this to creaate some break time to think what your next action is going to be or wait any timed event to end,

nJvOqGO.gif

Refreshing jumps to get some break time at 4X-10

AIR WALL SKATING

This can be used to reach higher heights with barely any horizontal movement and it's greatly used at 1X-18 in the recommended path, also in 1-10 to get the saw shortcut without dying. To successfully air wall skate, you need to air jump right before touching a wall so you reset the falling speed and push yourself upwards. How close from the wall you jump and how long you hold the jumping button will determine how high you are going to wall skate.

Wz3pMYr.gif

Air Wall Skating with max height

Unfortunately there is a glitch in this which makes you Air Wall Skate even if you are not using a air jump character. The glitch happens when you jump at the very frame you touch the wall and instead of jumping away from it like you should, you skate upwards. This is something you might see happening every now and then when playing the Cotton Alley levels, specially 7X-1 and 7X-9, sometimes leading to your unnexpected death.

RESETTING

pwNOT2O.gif

Soft Reset in 7X-2

Soft Resetting consists of halt a run to a complete stop by pressing the opposite side button for long enough time and then pushing forward again. It's a technique meant to keep your speed below max. This is a technique more used in the Cotton Alley as you are meant to have plenty of space to maneuver in the previous worlds, so you don't need to be aware of your surrounds so aggressively. This is the bare bones of 7X-2 as running at max speed will get you killed.

ipLxk8Q.gif WeTZjy7.gif

Hard Resetting at 3X-6 (left) and 7X1 (right).First GIF runs at 100% speed, second at 50% speed.

Hard Resetting consists of also halting your run to a complete stop and then taping both direction buttons in such speed that your character will change sides so quickly that he will barely move horizontally. This is mainly used to fall straight down in tiny hallways where the walls are dangerous spots.

But why HR instead of simply falling straight down? Well, because a lot of times you might THINK you are falling straight, but you are actually slightly moving to one of the sides and you end up hitting a hazard and dying. This technique is to prevent that from happening, but really, it's up to you if you consider your eye good enough to spot a perfectly vertical fall in high speed, midair  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 4

Excellent tips. I'm still not touching Super Meat Boy for a long time though. Those last few levels (where you are pink) look absolutely insane. 

I tip my hat to everyone who has this platinum. You have one of the rarest trophies on PSNPROFILES.

Looking at your trophies, you have a pretty impressive list. Many of which I couldn't do myself, I don't have the level of skill and patience to overcome them.

When I feel like I need to take several pain, at least regarding the no-death trophies, I will revisit SMB. I don't want to become too obsessed with it too frequently for now, like I did when I earned some of the no-death run. trophies. Good tips, thought; I already were familiar with some of this stuff, but I did not know what was causing it. E.g. the short and long jump. 

Edited by Deceptrox

Just now, Deceptrox said:

When I feel like I need to take several pain, I will revisit SMB. I don't want to become too obsessed with it too frequently for now, like I did when I earned some of the no-death run. trophies. Good tips, thought; I already were familiar with some of this stuff, but I did not know what was causing it. E.g. the short and long jump. 

If you wanna take a piece of advice, you could play it casually like I'm (only reason why I still don't have the Impossible Boy yet, other than all the video editing and playing Woah Dave! every now and then). I play only about 30 minutes a day without trying to Iron Man it, just replaying all stages, trying to find new stuff to run with and the such. I'm not stressed over it, I know I can get it done and it will happen eventually, I don't care when.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

If you wanna take a piece of advice, you could play it casually like I'm (only reason why I still don't have the Impossible Boy yet, other than all the video editing and playing Woah Dave! every now and then). I play only about 30 minutes a day without trying to Iron Man it, just replaying all stages, trying to find new stuff to run with and the such. I'm not stressed over it, I know I can get it done and it will happen eventually, I don't care when.

Yeah, I know I will plat SMB eventually. One of the things that I hated was when for example I intend to slightly jump, but Meat Boy jumps longer getting himself chopped into little chunks of meat. I need to work on my reflexes too, so I will be able to quickly move him when falling down.

• Like 2