Online required for the platinum?

One of my goals for 2017 is to complete one of the five Metal Gear Solid games with a platinum (2, 3, 4, 5 and Peace Walker). I have never played a single Metal Gear Solid game and heard from many they are more difficult than your typical third person/first person shooter, or open world game.

Now looking at the trophies, three are listed as Multiplayer Only. However you only need to be online for the last minute for the nuke, and FOB events count towards the trophy. But for me, since I am a complete outsider to the Metal Gear Solid franchise, I have no idea what these trophies are like.

As I complete one of the 2015 juggernauts (Batman Arkham Knight) I figured on starting another one for 2017. I wanted for years, ever since the first Metal Gear Solid, to try out Hideo Kojimas masterpiece. I am saving Witcher 3 for a special occasion, and will start Fallout 4 pretty soon. But I want to know from you guys, is online completely necessary?

I do everything I can to avoid boosting or avoid many online trophies altogether since I have come to despise them. I prefer online purely to have fun with others, but it's not so fun when you require several people all at once.

EDIT: I can currently buy Phantom Pain for $22 off of Amazon Prime. Not too bad for a 100 - 130 hour game.

Edited by Spaz

In Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, you'll need online just for one trophy, you don't even need to infiltrate another player's FOB; just play an event, and once you start the mission the trophy will pop even before leaving the helicopter that carries you to missions.

However, for resources, it is a good idea to play the game on online mode, so you can get good use of the daily bonuses. Bear in mind that if you sign out psn, you won't be able to use the resources gotten from online mode (bonus or stole from another player's FOBs), and the development of some items will be halted. I don't remember if you need to be online for the nuke, but it's better to play in online mode for the reason stated above.

The most challenging platinum is the one from Metal Gear Solid 2, specially the Vita version, due to the VR mission trophy, but trust me, it ain't that hard.

I think you should plat all the games in the series, if you liked the first MGS, it is very probable you will enjoy the other games.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 3

I think you meant "trophy will pop".

Well to be fair this isn't the first time I've heard of having to be online to complete a part of single player. In Assassins Creed Black Flag you need to be connected online to Ubisoft's servers in order to fully upgrade the Jackdaw (your ship), because there is a part required that is only gotten from Kenways Fleet, a minigame which can't be played if you are not online.

You also need to be online for Sharing is Caring, which are social chests and other types that also can't be done if you are offline.

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor has an online trophy for beating a Vendetta mission, which is killing a Captain that another player died from.

You don't need Playstation Plus for these online trophies, and it sounds like Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain is quite doable without Plus. Some options are limited without Plus but I think it's very good Konami didn't require you to play in full out 12 - 20 player matches, which is what I despise especially if you have to meet certain criterias.

So if all you need to do is just have your Playstation 4 be connected online, that's fine with me.

Yeah, didn't see that mistake. 

As I say, it will take you hundreds of hours to plat the game, specially get the exact amount of resources to fully upgrade Motherbase, you'll be low on fuel resources most of the times and playing events helps a lot since you can farm resources there. 

32 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I hate to sound like a total noob here (because I am), but what do FOB events do?

Events are special online missions given by Konami, they are similar to some missions in the game, but they take place on your FOB. For example, you may have to neutralize a threat of renegade soldiers, or defeat the Skulls (a type of special enemy in the game), or rescue staff abducted from your FOBs. In the these events, you can steal all the containers from all platforms. Bear in mind that it takes some time for containers to respawn. There are like 6 or 8 different types of platform on your FOBs(R&D, combat, intel, medical, etc), and each has containers worth of materials (e.g. the medical platform with have more medical related containers). You can replay the mission on all different plataforms to maximize the amount of materials available when playing the game.

• Like 1

Already bought the game. I would have to send it back with the receipt. Too much hassle for me in my opinion.

Will probably buy the set later in 2017. Heard MGS 3 is the easiest of the five Metal Gear games with a platinum. I believe in MGS 2 you are required to do a few hundred VR missions, and the game itself requires several playthroughs totaling close to a hundred hours.

I won't be playing MGS V nor Ground Zeros right away. I have about 25 - 30 games I haven't even put on my profile yet, some of which I haven't touched in over a year (Fallout 4, Assassins Creed III) and I'll be playing those before I'll get into Metal Gear.

I'm confused...5 hours before I posted you were kind of saying you wanted to start one and didn't low much about the series...now you're saying you're not and have made up your mind...haha...to answer topic yes you will need to be online for a bit to earn the plat for mgs v...but it seems you know this...pointless post here...

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/12/2016 at 3:28 AM, Deceptrox said:

Yeah, didn't see that mistake. 

As I say, it will take you hundreds of hours to plat the game, specially get the exact amount of resources to fully upgrade Motherbase, you'll be low on fuel resources most of the times and playing events helps a lot since you can farm resources there. 

Platinum can be acquired in 50-60hrs, currently working on such a guide

Well I'm going to play Ground Zeroes and see how that goes. I'll likely play Metal Gear Solid 2 through 4 first before Phantom Pain, which is three games. Metal Gear Solid 3 from what I heard is fairly quick to platinum, the other two are a lot more difficult and time consuming. You need to play Metal Gear Solid 4 eight times through, which is too much in my opinion.

Peace Walker from what I understand was originally a PS Portable title which is quite impressive given the limitations of that console. It has three online only trophies, two of which are easy and one requiring you to gain a certain stat number from 50 unique players, if not less.

Edited by Spaz

• 5 months later...

There's a rumor going around that Konami is shutting down Metal Gear Online this fall, so I guess I will go out of order on the series and get the one online trophy. Deterrence appears to be doable offline.

I won't make the same mistake I did with Darksiders II PS3.

39 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

There's a rumor going around that Konami is shutting down Metal Gear Online this fall, so I guess I will go out of order on the series and get the one online trophy. Deterrence appears to be doable offline.

Even if it's true i believe the MGO portion has nothing to do with the trophy, i think you just need to be connected, meaning the FOB's portion will probably stay online. But yeah maybe not for long...

11 hours ago, POEman553 said:

10 hours ago, Venenum80 said:

Even if it's true i believe the MGO portion has nothing to do with the trophy, i think you just need to be connected, meaning the FOB's portion will probably stay online. But yeah maybe not for long...

Nobody cares about Metal Gear Online. Seems that it's pretty dead as far as activity goes which is probably why Konami is shutting it down because they don't want to spend time maintaining the servers.

You need to be connected online to build a nuke in Metal Gear Solid V and at least start a FOB mission.

Peace Walker actually requires you to play with other players for it's Vic Vos trophy. I don't know if that's going to be put offline as well. People still play that game but it's not popular like Uncharted 4 or Call of Duty.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:23 AM, Spaz said:

Nobody cares about Metal Gear Online. Seems that it's pretty dead as far as activity goes which is probably why Konami is shutting it down because they don't want to spend time maintaining the servers.

You need to be connected online to build a nuke in Metal Gear Solid V and at least start a FOB mission.

Peace Walker actually requires you to play with other players for it's Vic Vos trophy. I don't know if that's going to be put offline as well. People still play that game but it's not popular like Uncharted 4 or Call of Duty.

So does that mean the online trophies will be unattainable when online shuts down?