so ..... is the game any good?

JG-Ray

1 minute ago, skateak said:

I think he was referring to cheaply/poorly made. Not price. Unless I am misunderstanding you.

I can't see an argument being made of a game that spent years in development as being cheaply made.  Of course, I could be wrong but I think the OP was asking about price.  Which would, in my opinion, null and void any complaint over quality.  That's just me though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I can't see an argument being made of a game that spent years in development as being cheaply made.  Of course, I could be wrong but I think the OP was asking about price.  Which would, in my opinion, null and void any complaint over quality.  That's just me though.

When I say cheap, I am not talking monetarily. Duke Nukem Forever spent 15 years in development and it is universally known as a cheaply/poorly made game.  

• Like 2

If you liked ICO, you'll like this game. That simple. The mechanics such as controls, camera, and AI are at the level of a ps2 game, so if you thought ICO was bad in this sense, don't expect anything better (Trico is smarter than Yorda, but the bar isn't set too high to begin with).

But overall, I am enjoying it. Much more than ICO. The story is just fantastic and is so engaging. You really feel a bond forming between the two as the game progresses and it really tugs at the heart strings. In that sense, it reminds me of Joel and Ellie from TLOU. And though there are some glaring issues in the game technically, it doesn't stop me from wanting to see the end of the story.

I think this is why the game has been getting mixed reviews. Some see the clunky gameplay while others look at the excellent storytelling and direction. You'll have to play it yourself and you'll understand both sides of it... At least I did.

• Like 4

Just finished my fourth play through and the ending still brings me to tears. It's an amazing game and I've loved every single one of my play throughs. I think I might need an additional 2 play throughs for the rest of the trophies to get the Platinum.

Like the others say, if you played and enjoyed the previous two games (ICO & Shadow of the Colossus), then you'll definitely enjoy this game. If you've never played either of them and are not sure, then check reviews. This game is not for everyone, but it is a really unique game like no other I've played before. There aren't many games like this.

I really wanted to love this game, I really really did. My first playthrough I really enjoyed and if your not bothered about trophies you WILL enjoy this game. It looks amazing and the story is great with an ending that is just so emotional but it seems this game just wants to mess with your head over and over. Firstly, the trophy for hearing every hint is absolute nonsense. You have to stand around for more than ten minutes to trigger the hint - and in some sections there are several hints - which means you need to wait around for longer than half an hour! Then there's the speedrun. Simple enough, except for the fact that Trico refuses to go where you need him. I have had to reload the game numerous times because it took so long for Trico to follow my commands. My first playthrough after figuring out where I needed to go Trico just refused to do it. So I figured obviously I've got it wrong, I need to find another way to get there. So I waste 30 minutes looking for an alternative route only to discover I was correct to begin with.

I was convinced I'd gotten a no death run during my speedrun but the trophy didn't pop. Now I'm playing again for the sixth time. Where Trico is supposed to catch me he just doesn't for some weird reason and when I try to jump from his back onto a ledge he moves at the last second and sends me flying into thin air. To say I'm frustrated with this game is an understatement. It is such an ordeal to get Trico to do anything. I've wanted to smash my head against the wall just to try and ease my pain a bit. No matter how amazing this game looks or how good the story is it just can't take away the pain and suffering I've had to endure to get through it.

Edited by Trev838Ire
  • Like 3

I've never played Ico or Shadow of the Collossus but I enjoyed The Last Guardian immensely. I've read many complaints regarding player controls and Trico not listening. The only thing I had a problem with was the camera and that occured rarely. I'd say to only skip this game if you're afraid of crying! :)

• Like 1

I enjoyed this game a lot, definitely one of my favorites from last year! The concept is unique and I think the story was well told. The camera was a problem for me a couple of times, but my biggest problem with the game was actually 

Spoiler

when they showed a cutscene after getting the green mirror back towards the end of the game. Of course I remember the ONLY item in the game, I don't need a flashback reminding me of the thing that gave us cool lightning powers!

I didn't get frustrated with Trico's behavior too often, especially once I figured out the R1 commands. Admittedly the game doesn't do a very good job explaining them, but once you figure them out, the game and any subsequent playthroughs are really easy.

So there are a few mixed thoughts on the game so far.

Just so everyone knows, when I said is the game "good" or "cheap" I was not talking about the price. I figured people would define the opposite of good but meh........

On 10-1-2017 at 8:04 PM, Trev838Ire said:

I really wanted to love this game, I really really did. My first playthrough I really enjoyed and if your not bothered about trophies you WILL enjoy this game. It looks amazing and the story is great with an ending that is just so emotional but it seems this game just wants to mess with your head over and over. Firstly, the trophy for hearing every hint is absolute nonsense. You have to stand around for more than ten minutes to trigger the hint - and in some sections there are several hints - which means you need to wait around for longer than half an hour! Then there's the speedrun. Simple enough, except for the fact that Trico refuses to go where you need him. I have had to reload the game numerous times because it took so long for Trico to follow my commands. My first playthrough after figuring out where I needed to go Trico just refused to do it. So I figured obviously I've got it wrong, I need to find another way to get there. So I waste 30 minutes looking for an alternative route only to discover I was correct to begin with.

I was convinced I'd gotten a no death run during my speedrun but the trophy didn't pop. Now I'm playing again for the sixth time. Where Trico is supposed to catch me he just doesn't for some weird reason and when I try to jump from his back onto a ledge he moves at the last second and sends me flying into thin air. To say I'm frustrated with this game is an understatement. It is such an ordeal to get Trico to do anything. I've wanted to smash my head against the wall just to try and ease my pain a bit. No matter how amazing this game looks or how good the story is it just can't take away the pain and suffering I've had to endure to get through it.

This is one of those moments where I'm glad I'm not bothered about trophies (too much). Another example is Transformers Devastation, fun little game if you're not looking to 100%.

At first I was going to ignore The Last Guardian until I'd find it in the sales bin but the game has been out not long and suddenly they've slashed the Collector's Edition price from €130 to €70... YES PLEASE! The Special Edition is also down from €65 to €30. No idea why the price cuts but I'm not complaining, just like when the Skyrim edition with the Alduin statuette was suddenly €40 or so. Now buusy finishing up Deadpool so I don't have to worry about that one when The Last Guardian arrives.

Edited by BillyHorrible

8 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

At first I was going to ignore The Last Guardian until I'd find it in the sales bin but the game has been out not long and suddenly they've slashed the Collector's Edition price from €130 to €70... YES PLEASE! The Special Edition is also down from €65 to €30. No idea why the price cuts but I'm not complaining, just like when the Skyrim edition with the Alduin statuette was suddenly €40 or so. Now buusy finishing up Deadpool so I don't have to worry about that one when The Last Guardian arrives.

Apparently The Last Guardian bombed which is the reason why it received such a large price cut. Here in the UK, it failed to break into the top 5 best selling games of the week it launched in.

Edited by Undead Wolf

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Apparently The Last Guardian bombed which is the reason why it received such a large price cut. Here in the UK, it failed to break into the top 5 best selling games of the week it launched in.

I think "bombed" is the wrong term here... Yes, it did not reach the top five but it still outsold both ICO and Colossus in that first week... There doesn't seem to be a full sales info table available but I think going half-off just over a month after it was released might be a bit much. Again, not complaining.

23 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think "bombed" is the wrong term here... Yes, it did not reach the top five but it still outsold both ICO and Colossus in that first week... There doesn't seem to be a full sales info table available but I think going half-off just over a month after it was released might be a bit much. Again, not complaining.

Well, it definitely didn't do as well as they hoped. For the number of years this game has been in development, I think it's obvious that Sony lost a shit ton of money on this game.

Edited by Undead Wolf

The game is simply stunning to behold as you are playing. However the controls and trico refusing to do what is mandatory to proceed in the game is so infuriating. I put it down after about 5 hours and honestly regret making the pre-order to this day. I know a lot of people love this title but I am not one of them. I doubt I will ever go back to it to be honest.

At first I thought this game was very slow... (just finished FFXV, compared to that is IS slow...)... But this story takes you to another world.

I finished The Last Guardian once and I will replay this game, because of the fantastisc storyline. I really want a Trico in my garden... love this animal!

MasterPiece.... No need words to explain why..... If you like ICO or SHADOW OF THE COLOSUS you will love it.... Trico is amazing, bad control?  No, you have to find out how to control him ;-) only one bad point... All talked out trophy is the worst ever I have done :-D 

Edited by Midian79SVK

Played for a couple of hours now, so far it's been great. I don't get why reviewers say that 1) Trico is hard to control because so far he does everything I want him to do and 2) that it's PS2 era gameplay, it's just minimalistic, like Journey (and probably ICO and Colossus, still have not gotten around to playing those).

It's a beautiful adventure so far, super glad I have the statuette and artbook for my collection!

• 2 weeks later...