so ..... is the game any good?

JG-Ray

On 1/19/2017 at 11:56 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Well, it definitely didn't do as well as they hoped. For the number of years this game has been in development, I think it's obvious that Sony lost a shit ton of money on this game.

I think Sony was EXPECTING To though. This was a game that Sony knew they didn't NEED to make, as they were in the lead. They did this to show the old time fans of their content that they are not just going to abandon the niche gamers and focus on the majority. I'd say it was a smart move that will earn them more money in the long run.

2 minutes ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

I think Sony was EXPECTING To though. This was a game that Sony knew they didn't NEED to make, as they were in the lead. They did this to show the old time fans of their content that they are not just going to abandon the niche gamers and focus on the majority. I'd say it was a smart move that will earn them more money in the long run.

Yup, it's another "average-to-good but definitely entertaining" exclusive they can add to their ever growing list. Coming from X360 to PS4 myself, Sony is really something else in terms of exclusives. So many IPs you could want a PlayStation for, so many IPs you could want a Nintendo console for, but seven years on and Microsoft still has no Alan Wake 2, which would be the only X1 exclusive I'd care for that is not a backwards compatible Alan Wake 1 or the Rare Replay collection.

• Like 2

Just finished the game and I pretty much hate it. Don't get me wrong it has really sweet Trico character, cool platformer elements and nice and dramatic final. But the controls are unbelievably terrible. I haven't spell so much f-words when I played Dark souls, but this game is something else. Its controls so frustrating you wouldn't believe it. Most of the problems starting when you need to control Trico, creature just won't do what you want him to do. He can just turn around and go back when you told him to jump or something. And don't forget really not cooperating camera, which you can't even control sometimes. It could be a great game, I was enjoing it in some moments, like the ending, but overall the horrible controls completely ruined it for me.

Edited by Beast_1985

• 1 year later...

Any good? It’s phenomenal! 

Platinum sucks ass though.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:23 AM, teedublu said:

I wasn't too crazy about it until I got to the last few hours of the game. It has a phenomenal final act.

I completely agree, the music just intensified everything. 

On 3/4/2017 at 11:34 AM, Beast_1985 said:

Just finished the game and I pretty much hate it. Don't get me wrong it has really sweet Trico character, cool platformer elements and nice and dramatic final. But the controls are unbelievably terrible. I haven't spell so much f-words when I played Dark souls, but this game is something else. Its controls so frustrating you wouldn't believe it. Most of the problems starting when you need to control Trico, creature just won't do what you want him to do. He can just turn around and go back when you told him to jump or something. And don't forget really not cooperating camera, which you can't even control sometimes. It could be a great game, I was enjoing it in some moments, like the ending, but overall the horrible controls completely ruined it for me.

Well then you completely missed the point - he’s SUPPOSED to be unresponsive so that he acts like a real life animal.

53 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Well then you completely missed the point - he’s SUPPOSED to be unresponsive so that he acts like a real life animal.

Having a dog myself, I can very much see the resemblance. All too often, my dog looks at me with his puppy eyes like he's trying to figure out what I want and then he does the complete opposite of what I'm trying to get him to do.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

No. It's one of the worst games I've played on the last ten years. And I've grinded done really quite miserable games in my time. And if you're coming to this game feeling like there is merit in the emotional and artistic elements then you've been drawn into a rouse designed by the marketing team to cover up a terrible product.

I don't trust anyone that dislikes any of the Ueda games. This game is a big beautiful journey, it has it problems because development began many many years before it was released, but besides that, it has one of the best relationships in a game and without any talking being done.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 9:01 AM, charxsetsuna said:

I haven't played it and I feel like if I do get it I might not enjoy it, it seems like a 'you love it or hate it' kind of game.

Finding the steelbook cheap might convince me though.

The game requires investment. It's pretty easy to get frustrated with the AI of Trico, but the ending makes it all worth it IMO.

• 7 months later...

This game is amazing! It's an emotional story. So if you're into those types of games, you should enjoy this. Sure the controls are a little clunky, but I feel that's part of the charm of the game. You play as a kid trying to control an animal that doesn't listen to you all the time. If you played ICO or Shadow of the Colossus then you know what you're getting yourself into.

I'm planning to play it again over the Xmas holidays, and try and go for the Plat.

Don't listen to the people that say this is a terrible game. They can go and play Fortnite.

• Like 2

The best way to enjoy this game is by ignoring the trophies.  It's a charming game with a slow-paced, heartwarming story.  The camera and controls are atrocious (if you've played Shadow of the Colossus, expect a similar experience here), but if you take your time then the story largely makes up for it.  Overall, it's a unique experience and definitely worth playing.

However, the trophy list is miserable and highlights every single fault of the game.