Nacon Revolution Pro controller - user review

StrickenBiged

12 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

That was a very detailed review. Do you play fighting games and if you do, did you check if the Dpad gets in the way of the quick inputs?

Hey man. 

No, I don't play them. I mentioned that in the review and recommended that any fighter fans seek out a second opinion on the D-pad. 

It's not a big issue for me, but I'd guess that someone into their fighters would want to check out how the D-pad handles for those games specifically before buying anyway.

Edit: But as I also said in the review, while it feels a bit squishy to use on, say, and FPS, it hasn't been imprecise yet. I've always hit the direction I wanted, I've never accidentally got a :down:/:right: when I wanted just :right: or anything like that.

Edited by StrickenBiged

1 minute ago, StrickenBiged said:

No, I don't play them. I mentioned that in the review and recommended that any fighter fans seek out a second opinion on the D-pad. 

Yeah, that was actually my doubt because you mentioned SF V and I was wondering if your point was a supposition or you played the game yourself and noticed it sucks, 8 directions seems to be helpful and I would be surprised to see a professional controller not being optimal for fighters.

• Like 1

Just now, TheYuriG said:

Yeah, that was actually my doubt because you mentioned SF V and I was wondering if your point was a supposition or you played the game yourself and noticed it sucks, 8 directions seems to be helpful and I would be surprised to see a professional controller not being optimal for fighters.

I see what you mean now. I'll clarify that that's speculation. Thanks. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheYuriG said:

8-way D-pads are usually a horrible choice for fighting games. The controller's pretty obviously based on the Xbox 360 controller which was itself infamous among the FGC for how unpractical the D-pad was back in the day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Valkyriala said:

@StrickenBiged

Heya, I just got mine and been fiddling with the settings a bit but can't seem to change Profiles 2-4. Only the first one. How do you change the other ones to your own custom profiles? It doesn't let me select 2-4 in any way.

Thanks.

They're somewhat hard to see because they've used white letters on a pale grey background but on the far left of the Nacon app window, there are 5 tabs going from top to bottom which read "Profile 1-4" and "General Settings".

What I find you need to do is select the profile you want to change from these tabs, create a new profile (at the top, click "CREATE YOUR PROFILE [NEW]"), then name the new profile. Make whatever changes and create however many profiles you want by going down Profiles 1-4, clicking Save after each change. 

All this saves the data to the PC. 

Then, to check, go through your profiles 1-4 using the tabs again, making sure that the named profile in the top-right of the screen is the one you want in that slot. 

When you're all done creating profiles, click "[ACTIVATE PROFILES]". This loads them all into the pad. 

I think where you might be getting confused - and it is confusing, I've been working it out with trial and error - is that you're clicking "CONTROLLER PROFILES". This just shows you what profiles are currently loaded onto the pad, not which ones are available or saved on the PC. 

Like I said, the UI design of the software could be better... can't have everything I suppose. 

6 hours ago, damon8r351 said:

Stick arrangement is a dealbreaker.

Each to their own, I suppose. Personally, I prefer the offset layout. It makes more sense to my brain (thanks to almost a decade of training from the Xbox 360 pad) that "up" would by done by pushing my thumb in a straight line from the base of the thumb towards the tip and away from my hand. "Up" being accompanied by a movement from 12 to 11 o'clock has never really fit with me. 

I've seen people make the same point on other reviews. Usually it comes with something like "I don't have asymmetrical hands, so why would I want asymmetrical sticks". xD

6 hours ago, Happy said:

8-way D-pads are usually a horrible choice for fighting games. The controller's pretty obviously based on the Xbox 360 controller which was itself infamous among the FGC for how unpractical the D-pad was back in the day.

I've had a quick go just mashing the D-pad around while unplugged and you're probably right. It feels awkward to use. Sort of clicky and squishy at the same time. Obviously you'd have to try it out on a FG to get the truth of it. Like I said, Nacon say they designed it with FGC in mind, so they might know something we don't about designing D-pads... 

Hopefully someone will come along who has tested it on a fighter and can speak with authority on it. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
Clarification re Nacon software

@StrickenBiged I've fiddled around with the settings enough to know how to see the ones I'm editing and the ones that are already in, so I'm not confused about anything. The only thing I couldn't find was the option to insert my custom profiles to slots 2-4. So thanks, I'll see if I can find the options when I hop back onto my Windows partition since there's no Mac app. :facepalm:

And I've used the controller for a while now for Soul Calibur 5, and the 8-way D-pad isn't all that bad for it. Can't say for sure about 2D fighters, but does a good job in 3D (8-way-run) system. Took some time to get used to rotating the D-pad though, and it does still feel a bit "mushy" like you said. If the pad was a bit stiffer, it'd work a lot better and feel more responsive to what you'd want in a fighting game. I'm no expert though by any means, just my two cents.

Edited by Valkyriala
Added the fighting game comment since people were wondering.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Valkyriala said:

@StrickenBiged I've fiddled around with the settings enough to know how to see the ones I'm editing and the ones that are already in, so I'm not confused about anything. The only thing I couldn't find was the option to insert my custom profiles to slots 2-4. So thanks, I'll see if I can find the options when I hop back onto my Windows partition since there's no Mac app. :facepalm:

If you're still having difficulty next time you boot in Windows I'll try and get some screen shots later and post them. 

Edit: I've had a quick google and there are some good guides for the software online now. Including some decent looking YT videos. I haven't had time to watch them all and choose the best one for embedding here just yet though. 

7 hours ago, Valkyriala said:

And I've used the controller for a while now for Soul Calibur 5, and the 8-way D-pad isn't all that bad for it. Can't say for sure about 2D fighters, but does a good job in 3D (8-way-run) system. Took some time to get used to rotating the D-pad though, and it does still feel a bit "mushy" like you said. If the pad was a bit stiffer, it'd work a lot better and feel more responsive to what you'd want in a fighting game. I'm no expert though by any means, just my two cents.

Thanks! More opinions the better. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

Very nice and detailed read. I've been interested in this for a while, but was still on the fence. You helped me decide to go for it now though and I will pick it up this afternoon. I will try it in  FPS games (Battlefront/Destiny), fighters (DOA5/Injustice) and racers (F1/Sebastien Loeb) and report back. ;)

• Like 1

@Robinworldwide No problem, I'm glad you found it helpful. Hopefully you won't be back here telling me I sold you a damp squib! ;) Seriously though, I'm confident you'll like the pad. 

Please do give us feedback on your experiences with those games. Other than Injustice, which I got through PS+, I don't have any of those games.

1 minute ago, StrickenBiged said:

@Robinworldwide No problem, I'm glad you found it helpful. Hopefully you won't be back here telling me I sold you a damp squib! ;) Seriously though, I'm confident you'll like the pad. 

Please do give us feedback on your experiences with those games. Other than Injustice, which I got through PS+, I don't have any of those games.

Well if I turn out to hate it at least I can blame someone right. :P  It's going to be interesting to see how fast I can adapt to the left analogue stick placement as I've only ever played on PS...might need a while to get used to it. I'm particularly interested in the trigger settings (hair trigger for shooters and normal for racers) and the remapping of buttons to the back. The macro's could be interesting for fighters, although I guess that would be cheating a bit lol. 

31 minutes ago, Robinworldwide said:

The macro's could be interesting for fighters, although I guess that would be cheating a bit lol. 

I've only had a quick play around with the macro settings to see what could be done. From initial appearances, it looks like you can make quite complicated macros. I might boot up Injustice and see if I can program a character's hardest combos into a single button press. 

If I do, I'll add more on macros to my review too. And hey, it might even get me to go back to Injustice. xD

Nice review, im probably going to get this controller real soon. Ive worn out my DS4 lol. Its barely hanging on. I got another controller but im basically down to 1 controller and a half. This Nacon controller seems logical for me to at least try out.

Edited by The-Sigma-Alpha
  • Like 1

@The-Sigma-Alpha Like I say, I am confident you'll enjoy it. Please let me know how you get on with SFV and the D-pad and using Macros - it'd be interesting for other fans of fighters and, judging from your trophies in that game you seem like a player competent enough in the genre to be able to give a good opinion.

Hey @StrickenBiged, you've given us a very well written and informative review, thank you.

I also enjoy using this controller. Although I'm struggling to find a sweet spot with the right stick, I unfortunately deleted my presets that came with it and cannot recover them.

I can never access the server to download any user uploads and resetting the device doesn't bring back the pre-loaded profiles.

To me, I found the "Nacon FPS Pro" preset quite comfortable, so if anyone can tell me the details containing the numbers for small, medium and large movements, I would appreciate it.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how well this controller holds up. I've used a variety of third party controllers (one was a Razer for my 360) and they've all had terrible build quality and broken within months of using them. I am interested in this controller but I'm not paying what they're asking without knowing if it is a well built piece of kit. 

Parker

On 07/01/2017 at 5:18 PM, lewiscater25 said:

@StrickenBiged hi there first of I like to say excellent review but I just wanted to know if the back buttons (m1234) have factory presets when you select mode 2. As I'm thinking of buying but don't have no way to use the software. But don't mind if they come presets to face buttons.  Thanks 

UPDATE:

No, I don't think the presets have any M button mappings. So if you don't connect to a PC to set up your own profiles, at best you're only going to have a profile or two that has a customised right stick. 

I highly recommend you find someone with a PC who can let you use it if you want to get the most out of the controller. Without the customisation, you'd be missing out on a big part of this controller's appeal. 

I'm not sure...

The presets to the face buttons are, obviously, what they say they are - :cross: is :cross:, and so on. 

Whether there are any factory presets for the M buttons is a little difficult. For one thing, I'm not 100% on whether there are any factory presets for the 4 profiles as I synced with my PC and created a custom profile before I ever plugged it into my PS4. It is therefore possible that there are no factory presets until and unless you sync with PC. 

I'll investigate once I get home after work today and see what's up. 

P.S. I just found this reddit review where the OP says:

You will need a PC or Laptop to gain access to button mapping and basically everything you need to customise this controller.

(My emphasis.)

On 07/01/2017 at 8:30 PM, Mr-EvilBlackMan said:

Hey @StrickenBiged, you've given us a very well written and informative review, thank you.

I also enjoy using this controller. Although I'm struggling to find a sweet spot with the right stick, I unfortunately deleted my presets that came with it and cannot recover them.

I can never access the server to download any user uploads and resetting the device doesn't bring back the pre-loaded profiles.

To me, I found the "Nacon FPS Pro" preset quite comfortable, so if anyone can tell me the details containing the numbers for small, medium and large movements, I would appreciate it.

UPDATE:

Hey @Mr-EvilBlackMan the presets for the NaconFPS-Pro profile are 60/30/10. The stick dead zone is set to 2. I hope that helps!

I've had a quick Google and cant find anything. I'll check later today and get back to you unless someone beats me to it. 

In the meantime, you can always experiment. I've been using the right stick settings shown in the quote box in my review (only used on Rise of the Tomb Raider so far) and they feel quite nice - slow and precise in the middle, fast at the edges. 

On 08/01/2017 at 5:21 AM, Parker said:

It'll be interesting to see how well this controller holds up. I've used a variety of third party controllers (one was a Razer for my 360) and they've all had terrible build quality and broken within months of using them. I am interested in this controller but I'm not paying what they're asking without knowing if it is a well built piece of kit. 

Remember to come back and post in however many months you feel is fair and I'll tell you how I'm getting on! ;)

Like I say, initial impressions are that it's built to last but, as is always the case, only time will tell. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
Answering the questions with updates.
  • Like 1

So I've played with the Nacon for a little bit over the last weekend, however I've only played Battlefront. I like how the controller fits in your hands, although imo the sticks should have been a little further apart even though I don't have big hands at all. I used the FPS Pro factory settings and was very impressed by how quickly I was adapted to using the buttons on the back for L3 and R3, felt very comfortable and natural. Like one of the users above I'm having difficulty adapting to the rights sticks' movement which gets amplified by the fact I'm not used to the 'Xbox' stick layout. The triggers feel nice for shooters but I think will be a bit lacking for racers cause they seem to have less "travel distance"  (by lack of a better term). Haven't tried that out yet so just going on a hunch there. Overall in Battlefront my K/D plummeted but I do feel like this is a really good controller once you get the hang of it so I just will keep practising. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts @Robinworldwide

My abilities plummeted at first too. I went back to 33/33/34 (i.e. normal DS4 right-stick) after a while, but have been practicing with the right stick at 55/30/15 in RotTR, where it feels quite comfortable. I've yet to try an FPS with these settings - my guess is that you need to get used to where one zone ends on the stick and the next begins. If you're someone who's stick movements are a series of jagged motions in one direction or another, you'll do better on 33/33/34, where the response is more consistent across the whole area of stick travel.