Nacon Revolution Pro controller - user review

StrickenBiged

23 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

Bump for @lewiscater25 and @Mr-EvilBlackMan - I've answered your questions in the post above now. ;)

@StrickenBiged Thank you for answering my question, much appreciated. :) I have added 60/30/10 into the controller as a secondary profile and am currently hopping between profiles to find the sweet spot.

If it's any help to you or any one else here, I have been using 50/25/25 which at first took some getting used to, but appeared to give an even, quick roll with steady aim when it was needed. I tested 50/25/25 in Star Wars Battlefront. 

I also did some research and found a user on reddit that was using 50/25/25 in Overwatch and said he was happy with it.

I'll continue to test 60/30/10 and 50/25/25 and report back here if I find any other useful values ;)

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks @StrickenBiged for a great review. It's probably the most informed and balanced summary of this that I've seen on the interweb.

I got the controller last week and was immediately impressed with the look and feel of it, particularly the quality of the surface finish. I was basically choosing between the Razer and the Nacon, and for £50 less it looks considerably better (imo) from what I can see of the Razer online. 

I've had some initial teething issues with the M2 shortcut button (on the left side), although I was fine with the other 3 buttons. The M3 and M4 buttons are particularly comfortable and easy to get used to. Coming from a PS4 only background, perhaps the positioning of left analogue stick has caused some of the discomfort. I must say I'm finding it easier with every play.

The sensitivity settings have made me a bit inaccurate in Destiny and particularly bad in The Division, so I'm working on familiarity. I'm currently running 50/30/20, but may be tempted by 60/30/10. I'd be interested to hear what's working, or not, for other people playing similar games.

So far I'm very happy with it, as the shortcuts have an immediate impact and it's aesthetically pleasing. Hopefully in time the sensitivity settings will further advantage me!

• Like 1

@Mr-EvilBlackMan & @vanpurdie Thanks for your comments. I need to give Overwatch another try with the adjusted stick settings (other games have been distracting me lately) but 50/25/25 might be a good shout - that way you'd effectively have 2 "speeds" of aiming, which might be an easier adjustment than having 3 speeds. Thanks for the tip. 

@Death_Ninja No worries. You're welcome. 

• Like 3

I only signed up to say, I bought the controller last week and I've somehow broke the Left stick (it doesn't spring back to center) and a mate of mine who wanted me to test out the M buttons on the back found out the MACROS only work if you download straight from Nacon and all they have available is a SFV Ryu program, so something is wrong with programing your own custom inputs, it seems I'm the only one with this issue (btw: Shortcuts work). I am taking it back today and hoping for a replacement (not a refund) because for a PS4 controller, it is unbelieveable, I've never been a fan of the DS4 because they tried to place an ergonomic grip but forgot to take into account where your thumb naturally lies to use the stick unlike the DS3 (D-Pad is in perfect position for the DS4, if that's all you would ever use)

I'm using the Nacon D-Pad for fighting games and it's perfect.

Edited by DMcKenna87
  • Like 2

Thanks for your feedback @DMcKenna87. I'm yet to test out the MACROS features, but what you're saying - that you can only use presets downloaded from Nacon - surprises me. There is a Ryu preset available from Nacon's list, but there is a whole section of the software which appears to be purpose built for setting up custom MACROS, and I'd be surprised if it did nothing. 

What setting do you have the dead zone on the left stick set to? Maybe it's too small? I have to say, my sticks are still snapping back correctly. Have you tried contacting Nacon about the problem and testing their warrantee, which they say will cover you for 2 years? Might be worth a shot and would be a good move if you're willing to share your experience in dealing with them. 

Thanks for the feedback on the D-pad too! If you could go into more detail about what's good about it for fighting games, I am happy to work that into my review, citing you as the source. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

So I've been toying around with the macros and they're fairly easy to implement. However there seems to be something off with the input delays, specifically with the medium and long settings. It feels as if the medium setting has the same delay as short and the long setting has the same delay as extra long. I've been trying to get my macros to work with Dead or Alive 5, but for the combo's in that game you often need an input delay of about a second, however the short/medium setting was way too quick and the long settings were waaaaay off, like it took 3-5 seconds for the next input. I've emailed Nacon support about this issue yesterday and they answered today saying my request will get passed on to the appropiate teams. Hopefully they can do something about this in an update.

Also, I haven't found an option in the macro settings to make a continuous loop, like if I'd want my controller to keep on pressing X for an indefinate amount of time. Am I overlooking it or is this feature just not there? Would be awesome to have for AFK grinding purposes.

EDIT: Just read DMcKenna87's reply and maybe there's something wrong with your gear, but it could also be that your going about things wrong cause the program takes some getting used to (I know it had me puzzled a bit at the start as well). You can't alter or adjust the default profiles that are pre-loaded or downloaded on your controller. If you want to make a custom layout, you will have to make a your own profile first. So e.g., click profile 4 on the white/grayish left vertical bar, then hit "new profile" on the top of your screen. Now this profile you can customize to your likings and when your ready don't forget to save and transfer to your controller. Profile 4 will now be the one that you made yourself. 

Edited by Robinworldwide
  • Like 1

Thanks for a great review and effort! For me there is one major factor disqualifying this superexpensive pad - no wireless. Its 21st century and not many of us want another cable - especially if youbhave kids or pets at home.

Edited by szkodi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, szkodi said:

Thanks for a great review and effort! For me there is one major factor disqualifying this superexpensive pad - no wireless. Its 21st century and not many of us want another cable - especially if youbhave kids or pets at home.

Yeah, it'll be a matter of personal preference on that. Nacon's excuse/reasoning is that there's less transmission lag. Bluetooth would probably have increased the price too. But it'd have been nice to have had the option.

8 hours ago, TheAveryChu said:

It looks a lot more like the X1 controller which I like, although its kinda pricey for a controller so I would probably wait for a decent deal before going for it. 

The offset sticks were the first thing that got me interested too!

i feel it's worth roughly twice the cost of a normal DS4. I've used nothing else since I got it, it's improved my game in competitive shooters, and it's really comfortable. Maybe see if you can get a store to let you hold one, you might see what I mean. ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 8:24 PM, StrickenBiged said:

Thanks for your feedback @DMcKenna87. I'm yet to test out the MACROS features, but what you're saying - that you can only use presets downloaded from Nacon - surprises me. There is a Ryu preset available from Nacon's list, but there is a whole section of the software which appears to be purpose built for setting up custom MACROS, and I'd be surprised if it did nothing. 

What setting do you have the dead zone on the left stick set to? Maybe it's too small? I have to say, my sticks are still snapping back correctly. Have you tried contacting Nacon about the problem and testing their warrantee, which they say will cover you for 2 years? Might be worth a shot and would be a good move if you're willing to share your experience in dealing with them. 

Thanks for the feedback on the D-pad too! If you could go into more detail about what's good about it for fighting games, I am happy to work that into my review, citing you as the source. 

I actually broke the mechanism that springs the stick but to center, also felt weird pushing down on L3, like there were 2 or 3 clicks (or imo crunches) I took it back to eb games and they said instantly offered a refund as there were no more controllers in stock anywhere except a couple of stores around australia. I ended up finding a new shipment from a seller in NSW and got them to post a controller to VIC, so far no problems, probably played with it longer than the last controller.

The D-Pad feels great because it feels like without any practice, I can input complicated moves on MKX and I'm still classed as terrible at the game, I recently entered a local MKX tournament and got through 3 rounds because I was able to spam all the special moves very quickly of Erron Black with no mistakes. Imagine what a pro could do. Another player mentioned this might be because of the gaps in the D-pad that make it very noticeable when you hit a diagonal direction.

On 1/20/2017 at 9:30 PM, Robinworldwide said:

EDIT: Just read DMcKenna87's reply and maybe there's something wrong with your gear, but it could also be that your going about things wrong cause the program takes some getting used to (I know it had me puzzled a bit at the start as well). You can't alter or adjust the default profiles that are pre-loaded or downloaded on your controller. If you want to make a custom layout, you will have to make a your own profile first. So e.g., click profile 4 on the white/grayish left vertical bar, then hit "new profile" on the top of your screen. Now this profile you can customize to your likings and when your ready don't forget to save and transfer to your controller. Profile 4 will now be the one that you made yourself. 

You're right, it could be very well something I'm doing wrong. I'm onto my second controller now after finding a replacement and still the same thing. I've actually tried exactly what you've explained and still no dice. I followed a youtube video of someone demonstrating inputting a macro and it's exactly how I did it, I even just tried a simple combo of up and right so I can say Nice Shot! in Rocket league. I'm missing something completley and I'm going to feel like an idiot once I find out what it is.

Also, just a note without getting too much into it as this is a PS forum, you can use this controller for PC, albeit with some tweaks that you might not even think be worth doing. Use the x360ce program and configure your controller and use the file it creates to replace the controller input file in the game (make a copy of the original though) shortcuts/profiles work too.

Edited by DMcKenna87
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DMcKenna87 said:

You're right, it could be very well something I'm doing wrong. I'm onto my second controller now after finding a replacement and still the same thing. I've actually tried exactly what you've explained and still no dice. I followed a youtube video of someone demonstrating inputting a macro and it's exactly how I did it, I even just tried a simple combo of up and right so I can say Nice Shot! in Rocket league. I'm missing something completley and I'm going to feel like an idiot once I find out what it is.

Might be a stupid question but I'm just trying to help. You are making use of the input delays after every button press right? If you just put in button commands the controller will basically just spam them all at once. So for your example you would have to make a macro going like: Up, short, Right. Hope you get it figured out cause it's a cool feature (barring the input delays not all doing what they're supposed to).

Edited by Robinworldwide
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Robinworldwide said:

Might be a stupid question but I'm just trying to help. You are making use of the input delays after every button press right? If you just put in button commands the controller will basically just spam them all at once. So for your example you would have to make a macro going like: Up, short, Right. Hope you get it figured out cause it's a cool feature (barring the input delays not all doing what they're supposed to).

I figured it out, don't feel as stupid but nevertheless took a bit of time for something so simple!

Everytime I created a new profile, the default comes up with buttons already binded to the M buttons (L1 to M1, R1 to R1 ect) Now, once you turn macros on, they disappear but the extra step you need to take is to remap those M buttons to what they are (M1 to M1, M2 to M2 and so on) without doing this, those buttons are useless.

Now that I experimented with a few combos, it could really do with an update to adjust intervals instead of null-short-medium-long, maybe a timer based or both!

Edited by DMcKenna87
  • Like 2

On 2-2-2017 at 0:29 AM, DMcKenna87 said:

Now that I experimented with a few combos, it could really do with an update to adjust intervals instead of null-short-medium-long, maybe a timer based or both!

This is exactly what I wrote Nacon about and they said they would look into it, although we all know that doesn't have to mean anything. The difference between the short and medium intervals is ridiculous, like from two button presses superfast after another to like a 3 second delay. Surely that ain't right. Anyway, glad you found out how it works! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

PSA: Not sure how everyone in this thread including OP missed this, but the controller is broken. It has an issue with the analog sticks that makes precise aiming, or even standard aiming impossible. Nacon acknowledges the issue and has been promising a fix for two months. Still nothing and they continue selling a broken controller. Search for nacon revolution analog stick issue on google and see for yourself. I have the controller and tested it, the issue is there and is significant.

19 minutes ago, SGPBK said:

PSA: Not sure how everyone in this thread including OP missed this, but the controller is broken. It has an issue with the analog sticks that makes precise aiming, or even standard aiming impossible. Nacon acknowledges the issue and has been promising a fix for two months. Still nothing and they continue selling a broken controller. Search for nacon revolution analog stick issue on google and see for yourself. I have the controller and tested it, the issue is there and is significant.

Weird. I haven't noticed anything but then, I'm not an elite player so I didn't know to look out for this kind of thing. 

I will definitely be running my own test though to see if I am affected.

Edit: I found this reddit thread - I assume this is the issue @SGPBK was referring to.

Edited by StrickenBiged
Including reddit link.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @StrickenBiged and thank you very much for this review!

I am interested in the Nacon, but I notice you comment that "it's not as comfortable to hold with both your index and middle fingers "over the top", as some people are known to hold their Dualshocks so that they can hit all these inputs easily".

I hold my DS4 like that, som Im wondering if you think it will be a major issue for someone like me? Or is it "simply" a case of using the controller and getting used to it?

Also, how manageable are the back buttons (M1-M4), when you have to use the ring fingers to operate them (as the middle fingers are permanently used on the triggers)? 

37 minutes ago, Rasmus_ep88 said:

I hold my DS4 like that, som Im wondering if you think it will be a major issue for someone like me? Or is it "simply" a case of using the controller and getting used to it?

Also, how manageable are the back buttons (M1-M4), when you have to use the ring fingers to operate them (as the middle fingers are permanently used on the triggers)? 

Hi @Rasmus_ep88,

I haven't really tried holding it like that personally. Like I say, it's a "fat boy" of a pad compared to the DS4. I think you'd be able to do it but you might not be able to hit the M buttons at the back so easily because 1. your ring fingers just aren't as long as your middle fingers, and 2. they're generally weaker. If you've got big hands though you might be comfortable with it - mine are kinda small. 

If you're still interested, you might try mapping L1 and R1 to the M buttons on the back and just use your index fingers on L2 and R2, maybe? Part of the beauty of the pad is that you can remap almost every input as you please, so I'm sure you could find an arrangement that works for you. 

Would you be able to map a macro to press a single button over and over? This would be used to keep certain buffs always active in diablo 3, on PC we just use a number lock trick to accomplish the same thing

Edited by The-Jack-Burton

@StrickenBiged, I really appreciate you taking the time write up this well thought out review. You've definitely got my interest piqued.

I've been a huge fan of the back buttons since I bought a scuf last year. The scuf quality isn't very good though. Being able to jump while still aiming is a huge advantage that most people wouldn't even realize it until they actually try it. Those buttons are probably the biggest selling point for me. I like the Xbox controller layout too and the always wired connection doesn't really bother me.

My only hesitation is the selling price. Am I able to order directly from the manufacturer if I were to create a login account? I live in the US and my only other options at the moment would be eBay or Amazon possibly. 

Some moves are harder to pull off though; for example I would sometimes use my right index finger to press a face button on the Dualshock 4 while keeping my thumb on the right stick. 

This is called the claw grip in case you were wondering.

Edited by Rowdi
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 7:03 PM, Rowdi said:

My only hesitation is the selling price. Am I able to order directly from the manufacturer if I were to create a login account? I live in the US and my only other options at the moment would be eBay or Amazon possibly. 

Sorry dude, I have no idea! I'm in the UK and they're on store shelves here. Could you find a site that sells Amazon UK store credit and then order one to the USA maybe? 

On 3/18/2017 at 4:57 PM, The-Jack-Burton said:

Would you be able to map a macro to press a single button over and over?

I still need to have a play around with Macros. I haven't played a game recently where they'd be useful so haven't tried setting them up. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2017 at 9:33 PM, Robinworldwide said:

This is exactly what I wrote Nacon about and they said they would look into it, although we all know that doesn't have to mean anything. The difference between the short and medium intervals is ridiculous, like from two button presses superfast after another to like a 3 second delay. Surely that ain't right. Anyway, glad you found out how it works! :)

Gotten them combo macros to work smoothly?