Newbie questions about game

Hello,

I just got the Trilogy and playing the 1st game: Alchemist of Arland

I am enjoying the game so far :-)

(1) I just created enough items to get all stars for the 2nd Assignment and was wondering if there is anything else further into the game

such as big bosses that you need to defeat ???  or is the game just collecting ingredients and alchemy for assignments and townspeople requests ?

(2) I created a few bombs and went to blow up the rock in the first area but all I see is a gauge going down but the rock is still there. I threw a few bombs

but no joy.  Do I need to do something when the gauge appears or do I need to create more bombs ?

3 hours ago, SaiWong007 said:

Hello,

I just got the Trilogy and playing the 1st game: Alchemist of Arland

I am enjoying the game so far :-)

(1) I just created enough items to get all stars for the 2nd Assignment and was wondering if there is anything else further into the game

such as big bosses that you need to defeat ???  or is the game just collecting ingredients and alchemy for assignments and townspeople requests ?

(2) I created a few bombs and went to blow up the rock in the first area but all I see is a gauge going down but the rock is still there. I threw a few bombs

but no joy.  Do I need to do something when the gauge appears or do I need to create more bombs ?

There are bosses do no worry. Though not many.

The bomb strength is reliant on the type of bomb and the quality. When you use ingredients, underneath will be a bar that determines the kind of bomb your making. In the beginning of the game Ice Bombs or Cute bombs with a good quality stat and decent attribute breaks rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses. I managed to make another bomb that blew up the rock (but still don't understand why this bomb worked and the other failed).

I completed the 2nd assignment and enjoying the game ......but

just wondering if there is anything else to the game. Will it just continue as-is     and you just continue to complete assignments and quests

or will there be any other specific goals that you work towards ?

It's just farming and crafting for hours upon hours. Grind is intervened by episodic cutscenes based on your relation with the characters, who you should go find and talk to at every opportunity. Rorona says "EHHHH" approximately two hundred thousand times before you're finished.

If you're just to enjoy the game (sans "EHHHH") ignore my suggestion, but if you'd like to plat you might want to take a quick or a longer look at a walkthrough on the game - not just a trophy guide, a walkthrough which explains the mechanics and warns you to manipulate character relations or have certain ingredients at certain game stages. Otherwise you're playing the game through up to fourteen times. No joke.

Krystal109 has a great one at GameFAQs (link)

I've looked at the Game FAQ and think I will try for some trophies just so that I have a GOAL to work towards.

Previously I've been searching various areas until my basket is full and I need to return. However, from what I gather

from the faqs I should be returning to town every 4 days and talk to all npc's to see if they trigger any events.

So should this be my strategy from now on ? Approx every 4 days return to town and talk to everyone ?

I've triggered Cordelia quests for Pebble and Iron Clay but each time the town popularity reduced by 5%, so now my popularity is a mere 3%  :-(

Since I've got 8/10 stars for the 3rd assignment already, should I just keep doing Esty quests from now on to increase my town popularity back up ?

What is the recommended Friendship level I should be at for Town Population and NPCs for each stage of the game (i.e. assignment) ?

Cordelia's anonymous requests (with high payout) always drop town popularity, you can either not take them or mitigate the loss taking other requests. Failing a request also drops popularity. You should take as many requests you can and know you can finish, although avoid requests that waste your time synthesizing (unless you can buy the item off the shop). Always take requests that you can do on your farming run, especially early on while they don't yet become too much a hastle.

Town popularity needs be 80+ for Good and True ending, and 90+ for Esty's ending. Friendship needs be 60 for other characters for their endings, except Tantris requires 80. There's no advantage to having the scores higher, and no punishment for having them lower. Other than you just can't trigger the character specific flags, events and ultimately their ending on that playthrough, of course.

I don't know if you missed any flags yet, it doesn't really matter because you can just do a second playthrough. However you can only get one ending per playthrough so saving at specific points in order to savescum is recommended, Satoshi42 has a pretty clear roadmap for it on PST.org (link). The savescumming method to trigger different endings on the same playthrough depends on having your base scores to what I mentioned earlier, so that you can then fail at specific scores to fix the game on a certain path. The PS3 version indeed has you return to town at least every four days to accept more requests, and then of course for the events (Krystal's guide has the dates for them).

• Like 1