Do you remember your first time?

u2mad_Bro

I will never and try to never forget it x3 it is a game that is "you gotta experience it to know what people are talking about". For a few days/weeks i felt that skyrim was better than life itself x3 the beauty, the majesty, the freedom, and the purpose. don't want to sound like a cliche but damn, it really did make me think how humanity could be better off if we came together to create a better world x3 haha this was also similar to my first time playing Oblivion tbh. Oblivion made me feel more feels but Skyrim made me ponder what the meaning of life is x3 haha i actually found it kinda odd how it is impossible not to kill someone in both of those games. what was your first time like?

• Like 1

My first time playing Skyrim I got about an hour in and realized that the game had glitched and wouldn't let me save. I had to shut it off and restart the game from scratch.

Skyrim is fun but it has that immersion problem that a lot of Open World games have. Where it gives you the freedom to do whatever you want but there are game designs in place that pull you out of the reality. For example (and these all happened to me) Fighting a Dragon only to have a messenger stand between you and the dragon while delivering a letter. Fighting in the Village Siege where I slaughtered all the guards...then I walk into a house and accidentally pick up a plate and the lone survivor of the village is calling for the guards to arrest me. Earning 2 words of the first chant but not going all the way up the monastery and instead doing all the sidequests (because I was afraid of locking myself out of trophies) then literally doing all the sidequests and going back to the mountain as the High Wizard, Thief, Assassin, Werewolf and the last monk being "I will teach you the third word now" and I am like "no thanks Chief...I got this".

So yeah "freedom" in a game will always be marred by the fact that the game still wants you to play its way.

• Like 1

I remember getting right fucking pissed how stripped down it was compared to Oblivion so I didn't play it for a good six months after launch. All those "funny" memes around went pass me.

Then I got pissed at myself for not playing it so I tried it again and started to like it. Until the save file was too big to continue without 10 minute loads.

Third time around was a Argonian highet difficulty shitshow that ended very fast and the latest adventure into Skyrim was a speedrun through the remaining trophies.

I like the game in someways but the praise that it gets only applies to the PC version IMO. If you want the cheap experience go for X360 and for the real experience PC no question.

PS3 port can go burn in a fire.

I remember how I enjoyed the first parts until I started over again because my characters nose and face were oddly proportioned. 

Maybe it was good timing on my part though, but I did enjoy going up the Throat of the World at night to see the green Aurora Borealis with this theme playing. I mainly enjoyed just going across the different villages and towns more than I did most of the quests and taking in the atmosphere with the music. If it weren't for all the bugs and stuff I would have really enjoyed it more, but most quests just seemed to be dungeon crawls and other things that would glitch on me.

• Like 1

On my first playthrough right now... melee combat is both frustrating and boring. Just clonking my sword into some guy's shield over and over again is not fun. Any kind of attempt to get good at the timing of block-and-thrust fencing seems stupid when most of the fights have a bunch of melee guys zerging into your face forever. It's not like you can cut and parry with one at a time like in a fighting game; you need DPS not dancing.

I'm building my character as a kind of everything-but-melee mage archer. You can fight smarter, use a conjured bow to wear them down from range. But it's irritating when almost every good artifact or magic item I find is a sword or axe. I thought would be fun to be a viking swinging my blade, but it just feels so pointless to let anything close with me and rip my lifebar to pieces, then pause and eat a bunch of food, then slash it a couple more times, then stop for brunch... it's just not fun.

I can see how the sheer size and scope of the world is impressive. I see how you can get a pickaxe, go to a mine, get some ore, refine the ore, make a sword, enchant that sword, kill monsters with that sword — sometimes all the little interlocking systems do a great job of making the world feel alive and complete. One time I saw a certain monument, then happened across a book later that had some lore about it. Thinking "I've been there!" was a cool moment. Sometimes it's almost fun. I wish the game could have been 10% smaller and that extra time/resources put into combat interactions.

Edited by rdhight

I remember all my friends in high school talking about how it was going to be "the greatest game ever". So I bought into the hype. The horse glitches out in the intro cutscene.

I had played some Morrowind and Oblivion before Skyrim, so I had some idea as to what I was getting into. But I never played those enough to actually get any real progress in them. I remember getting incredibly bored with Skyrim, because even 1 hour in all the side quests were the same shit. That didn't change as I got further in. The game just got more boring the more I played. Eventually I became the supreme emperor overlords of every city and guild and it just became ridiculous.

This game is a poor excuse for an RPG.

It was pretty fun for the first little bit. The combat system is way too shallow to keep me interested. And the side quests are mostly all just repetitive fetch quests, so I had no motivation to do them.

It's a cool game until you play Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, The Witcher, or some other better RPGs. Then you can see just how bad Skyrim is. At least, in my opinion.

Edited by PREDRAG-K
  • Like 2

yeah I remember my first time playing this elder scrolls and guess what, it pissed me off the changes the dumming down of the things that made the elder scrolls good, can't make your own spells and can't have anything hero like to happen as you must be a dragonborn not my thing I like being the hero who went to hell and closed all the hell gates and then stopped the world from falling to bits with aid of the last king, and then going to mages and helping them stop a evil mage from over taking the world of magic and then being the most pure of soul to get the crusader's arms and bring back the old knights of the nine to stop a evil that was near greater then demon gates.

Then going to a gate that randomly opens into a world of the mad god and being the helper to the mad god to stop a evil that will kill his world and then becoming the madgod yourself, in skyrim your just a dragon killer who then ether becomes a vampire lord or vampire hunter and then becomes the puppet of cthulhu or not to stop an evil dragonborn, nothing as cool as oblivion is it?

3 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

My first time playing Skyrim I got about an hour in and realized that the game had glitched and wouldn't let me save. I had to shut it off and restart the game from scratch.

Exactly the same thing happened to me (on both PS3 and 360), man that was frustrating. 

I remember it being hyped to the hell and back.

Remember trying it out on my PC shortly after the launch.

Remember being bored to death and incredibly dissapointed.

Remember going back to my modded Oblivion and trying to banish insistent choo-choos of the hype train from my mind.

3 hours ago, MilanYildirim said:

Oh, nobody could imagine how disappointed l am to see that topic under Skyrim tab.
Came to read something else

Been there, done that. The clickbait was real.

OP name checks out too. I'm mad, brother.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Consider me a Skyrim virgin with no intention of tapping that ass. Screenshots, short videos of game play and explanations from a crony that was obsessed with it have turned me off from even thinking about getting with that dirty whore.

If you like swords, or magic, it's a fun game. 

You can play it by stealth or by killing everything, the choice is yours. 

pfff, like it was yesterday.  Her parents were out of town so we decided to do it at her house.  It was the first time for both of us and we were really nervous.  We did the normal stuff you do before hand and then I took it out and put it in.  Everything was going smooth and then BAM, the damn gamn crashed.  We both looked at each other in slight disappointment.  This had never really happened before I told her.  I took it out and fiddled with it hoping that would help and then put it back in.  Same thing.  We ended up playing Super Mario Kart instead. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

If you like swords, or magic, it's a fun game. 

You can play it by stealth or by killing everything, the choice is yours. 

Neither swords nor magic in and of themselves are appealing to me. I don't enjoy stealth and if you mean killing everything like by cheating in Rise of Nations and nuking a bunch of cavemen, then I'm in. Otherwise my opinion has not been swayed.

FWIW, I'm not knocking anyone who liked or enjoyed Skyrim at all. Just saying from what I've seen and heard, it has absolutely no appeal to me.

I was a pretty incompetent gamer at the time, at least in comparison to now, and so I spent the opening mission running around like an idiot and got chomped up by Alduin as a result. I also accidentally named my character "Prisoner". I remember the first time I ventured into Bleak Falls Barrow, I got absolutely destroyed by the low-level Draugr. I also had an extremely difficult time finding the pathway to High Hrothgar. Looking back at it now, I can't understand why I made such a meal of it. Basically, I spent more time playing Skyrim when it came out than I did doing my schoolwork... but I still regret nothing.

Edited by MythRaider1994

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2017 at 6:15 AM, Shadiochao said:

I remember it, and I believe my thoughts were something along the lines of "I don't understand why people praise this game so much".

I don't think it's a particularly bad game, but not a single aspect of it stood out to me as being amazing, or even great. 

Based on my experience as a third-person melee player, the combat was incredibly bland. You just slice at the air with your weapon and hope an enemy wanders into its path, since due to the screwy hitboxes and lack of a lock-on system, that's about the best you can hope for. Maybe I missed out by not using another build, but a great game should manage to keep it interesting regardless of that choice.

And the game becomes ridiculously easy the further you progress. A fight with a legendary dragon must be amazing if it requires level 78 to spawn, I mean I was only around level 40 when I completed almost every other trophy in the game. But no, even by spamming the same skill to reach level 78 and therefore not becoming any stronger, I was already powerful enough to down this recoloured generic dragon in two hits. This is on the default difficulty and I'm aware you can change that, but if a game is only challenging when I up the difficulty to max and ignore most of the systems in the game, that's a problem.

The world seems like it was more about quantity than quality. Certainly more mountains than much else, at any rate. Mountains that can have very obscure paths leading to the summit, so much so that it often makes bruteforcing them by hopping up 5cm at a time a much more appealing option than walking all the way around. The rest, I don't have much of an opinion on since I never got to see much of it. Having been sent to all four corners of the map in my first four quests, I was able to fast travel pretty much everywhere quite early on. I mean most games would ease you in and have you complete local quests before slowly branching out, but I guess Skyrim wants to be different.

I'd like to say something about the story but I really don't remember it. Maybe that speaks for itself, though. All I know is that it went out on a wimper and one of the most underwhelming final boss fights of all time.

I even played it again when the remaster came out to try and see if there was something I had missed in my early days of HD gaming. It just reinforced my confusion and added new frustration as I experienced all the same glitches I had 3 years prior, if not more. The only saving grace is that the game didn't crash every few hours and the framerate didn't suffer noticeably at any point.

But every time I ran into some sort of glitch, like an NPC pissing off to god-knows-where, unexplained aggression or a quest trigger simply not activating, my first port of call would be to go to Google and see how other people dealt with it.

The solutions I found were invariably something like "Just go into the console commands and enter this cheat code". This leads me to believe nobody actually played properly and simply skipped over all the shit they encountered. Which probably meant typing into the console more than actually playing the game, but a significantly more pleasant experience nonetheless.

I'll never get the love for Skyrim. That's really all I wanted to say but being reminded that I had actually played this game pissed me off enough to start ranting about it.

It makes me sad that this game was allowed to thrive in a world where an experience like Dark Souls existed, and Dragon's Dogma just a few months afterwards. I remember playing that and thinking "Now this is what a Skyrim dragon fight should've been like, this is actually pretty cool". But that drifts off into obscurity as people are begging for more of this tripe. Luckily we have Witcher 3 now, so I can at least understand the feeling of having played an outstanding open world RPG.

totally see where you are coming from. would love to get an xbox 360 to play the previous witchers and a ps4 to play the witcher 3 with DLCs xD

On 1/4/2017 at 6:17 AM, Undead Wolf said:

I'll never understand why this game gets the praise that it does. Probably the single most overrated game I've ever come across. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, probably even great, but it's certainly not "better than life itself". I find it odd how many people I've seen put this game on some sort of pedestal like it's gaming perfection... it's really not. Like every game, it has it's fair share of problems. In fact, I'd argue this game has more problems than the average game due to all of its bugs and glitches. It may not be my cup of tea, but I can see why people like the game. I just wish people would stop treating it like no other game even comes close to its level.

On topic, though, I do remember being blown away by the game when I first played it. I was definitely addicted to it for a time. It's only later when I played much better RPGs that I realised the game wasn't everything it was cracked up to be.

Haha well, it was certainly something more amazing than life at that time xD but I agree, i played it a few days ago since i went back home and somehow it has lost its magic for me. At the beginning it was greater than life itself, but as time passes, one notices that it is merely a game that is like fish out of water xD

On 1/4/2017 at 11:13 AM, MilanYildirim said:

Oh, nobody could imagine how disappointed l am to see that topic under Skyrim tab.
Came to read something else

Haha my mistake xD