This is TOUGH

AJ_Radio

I very much regret buying this version of Resogun. After watching several PS4 videos of the game and seeing how awesome it looked, I figured "Why not buy the game and 100 percent it on the PS3?"

Big mistake.

Right off the bat I noticed framerate drops, input lag (about 0.3 - 0.4) and what seems to be a considerably weaker Nemesis ship. The first four levels on Veteran are perfectly doable with practice, not the most difficult task out there. But level five is a SIGNIFICANT DIFFICULTY SPIKE.

On Veteran, unlike lower difficulties, enemy ships turn yellow meaning they have extra abilities. They can home in on you, shoot fireballs, have more powerful lasers and so on. No matter what ship I use on Rookie difficulty I can pretty much fly through the first four levels, and can easily make it to the end boss of the game. However on Veteran difficulty there is too much going on on screen.

The problem isn't the enemies themselves, it's the three ships. ALL OF THEM feel a lot weaker in comparison to the PS4. People on Youtube seemed to go through the fifth level with no problem whether it was Nemesis or Phobos. I can pass the first phase of level five and then everything goes to shit.

Not only are there enemies on the bottom shooting lasers along with those guys shooting barriers in the air, you have the claw enemies which when turned yellow, home in on you and fire fireballs. You have only two bombs at your disposal and I don't know if any human rewards you with a bomb. The last few humans give out two lives which helps at the boss, and while the boss himself sucks, getting to him from the start of the level is so much worse.

I have one theory left and that is deleting the game off of both the PS3 and the Vita, and playing it without the patch. Unfortunately that means playing through all the levels on Veteran again. If that ain't going to happen, then I'm just going to delete this game and move on with Batman and God of War.

I already know the PS4 version is a lot easier, but there is the DLC which I don't plan to buy and play anytime soon. I've wasted several hours on this last level, enough to do the first four levels several times over, all things considered. Luckily I'm not a real completionist so I don't plan to 100 percent every game I own.

Frame rate drops, weaker ships and just a completely frustrating experience. If I'm doing something wrong and you have the platinum for this version of the game, then feel free to tell me.

What's probably most upsetting is the developer likely meant Resogun to be a game to play with others, in other words co-op through the game and enjoy it like people did with Life Force on the NES or Defender. If Resogun was single player only, the levels themselves probably wouldn't be as difficult.

Now I have a game added that I may never platinum due to bullshit mechanics and just being a terrible port in comparison to the PS4 version. With family, life, work and soon to be college again I don't have a lot of time to continually be frustrated over a game that is meant to be played for entertainment. Any video game really. So I wonder why I became a trophy hunter.

• Like 2

Yes, the PS3 version is far inferior. It didn't get any DLCs or patches. It runs worse, controls a bit differently, I think the AI acts a bit differently as well. Maybe even more zoomed in on the screen (can't remember). Very different experience.

However, with the exception of like two trophies, the PS3 version is very easy. One of them you can get with help from someone online, if you really got issues with beating the game without using any continues on experienced difficulty (once you get the hang of it, it's not hard at all). The other you just gotta figure out a pattern to survive long enough to get a high enough multiplier, just keep trying, you'll learn enemy spawn patterns etc.

As you can see from my trophy list, I got the 1CC trophy within 5 hours hours of booting up the game:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3266-resogun/MMDE?order=date&lang=en-us

What actually took me a while was:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/3266-resogun/27-101535x

and it's just because the PS3 version plays differently, in a bad way! D: Got it rather easily on the PS4 version.

The PS4 version's trophy list is muuuuch harder, but that's because of the DLC trophy list.

Mainly just these 3 trophies:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2245-resogun/45-im-back-and-i-bought-a-friend

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2245-resogun/62-destruction-preventer

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2245-resogun/65-i-eat-asteroids-for-breakfast

But the PS4 version is a lot more fun, and it's just two paid DLCs, which you can get with the season pass. The rest is free patches.

Edited by MMDE

How old are the PS4 version videos that you're watching?

The PS4 version was originally easier than it is now, but multiple balancing changes included in the patches made it more and more difficult. Then by the time the PS3 version came out with all those changes already implemented, it had become notably harder. The only difference between them now should be the frame rate stuff, and the lack of DLC kind of makes up for that. Those DLC packs were a headache, especially if you had already earned platinum before they came out.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about the 15x multiplier trophy. With Master difficulty you can get that on the first level, but I can't get to Master until I beat this last level on Veteran. Go figure.

I beg to differ. It's a tough game (only the PS3/Vita version). Nemesis is next to impossible to do on the last level. Phobos is easier but it lacks the agility and boost power, plus it can't move as quickly making dodging more difficult.

With Rookie I can get to the end boss with no problems. But even on that difficulty the last level is significantly harder than the first level on Veteran. I don't know, the first four levels are easily doable like I said, you can do them with any ship without issues. The third and fourth boss are easy, you just need to dodge the fireballs and destroy the cubes.

Someone beat the last level with Phobos within nine minutes on the PS3 version. With me this takes 15 minutes, but it's hard enough already when you have to kill waves of enemies until the boss. The boss is tough and by far the most difficult, but even on Veteran if I had a few chances to go directly to him after I failed, I can beat him.

Insane luck? Insane skill? Really wishing I didn't buy this version.

The videos date from 2013 - 2014.

Edited by Spaz

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

How old are the PS4 version videos that you're watching?

The PS4 version was originally easier than it is now, but multiple balancing changes included in the patches made it more and more difficult. Then by the time the PS3 version came out with all those changes already implemented, it had become notably harder. The only difference between them now should be the frame rate stuff, and the lack of DLC kind of makes up for that. Those DLC packs were a headache, especially if you had already earned platinum before they came out.

Not sure about that. I played both versions around the same time. The PS3 version just plays very differently. I found the PS4 version to be a joy to play, while the PS3 version annoyed me all the time.

Edited by MMDE

Just now, MMDE said:

Not sure about that. I played both versions around the same time. The PS3 version just plays very differently.

Maybe they are different in other regards then, I played them years apart so I might not remember it well. But it should have a lot of the changes which made the PS4 version more difficult, such as the ships being weaker like the OP mentioned.

Well I think it's a shame they had to make the game harder. I think it was already difficult enough if you were to play the game without any patches.

I will probably NEVER get those three trophies from the DLC. Beat the game in local co-op without dying once? That's like beating Battletoads on the NES without using continues, and I already know how crazy that game was.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm not worried about the 15x multiplier trophy. With Master difficulty you can get that on the first level, but I can't get to Master until I beat this last level on Veteran. Go figure.

I beg to differ. It's a tough game (only the PS3/Vita version). Nemesis is next to impossible to do on the last level. Phobos is easier but it lacks the agility and boost power, plus it can't move as quickly making dodging more difficult.

With Rookie I can get to the end boss with no problems. But even on that difficulty the last level is significantly harder than the first level on Veteran. I don't know, the first four levels are easily doable like I said, you can do them with any ship without issues. The third and fourth boss are easy, you just need to dodge the fireballs and destroy the cubes.

Someone beat the last level with Phobos within nine minutes on the PS3 version. With me this takes 15 minutes, but it's hard enough already when you have to kill waves of enemies until the boss. The boss is tough and by far the most difficult, but even on Veteran if I had a few chances to go directly to him after I failed, I can beat him.

Insane luck? Insane skill? Really wishing I didn't buy this version.

When I booted up the PS3 version, I just started out on rookie, beat the game just fine. Then I went on to do Veteran just fine without many issues. Judging by time stamps, that took me 2 hours.

Practice the last level over and over I guess... Save humans, that gets you bonuses you really need! Pretty sure I did it with Ferox.

6 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Maybe they are different in other regards then, I played them years apart so I might not remember it well. But it should have a lot of the changes which made the PS4 version more difficult, such as the ships being weaker like the OP mentioned.

The PS3 version is just a worse game. I think they had to cut back on a lot of things to make it run, even as poorly as it did, on the PS3. Dumbed down a lot of things, and gameplay suffered. I just think it's more of a they didn't improve the PS3 version and dumbed it down, rather than making it harder on purpose or match PS4 and it's patches. I honestly didn't know they made the PS4 version harder either, I kinda doubt they did, but idk. I didn't play it before after the PS3 release and they were nothing alike then.

Edited by MMDE

Ferox is the most balanced. Nemesis was a great help on the first four levels on Veteran because of it's homing lasers, especially when upgraded to 70 - 100 percent.

But for some reason or another they made the ship a lot weaker on the final level. Enemies take a lot more to go down as opposed to the previous levels. Phobos has no issue taking them down but there is the issue of dodging, which is very difficult since it cannot boost or move as quickly as Nemesis.

I only did Ferox once and that was beating the game the first time. Ferox doesn't have homing lasers but is faster than Phobos.

I'm honestly surprised at the trophy rarity for this version of Resogun. To me this would be like getting ultra rare trophies for a game that is rated 9 or 10 on the difficulty scale.

The thing is MMDE is Resogun is NOT a big game. I think the PS4 version is close to 1 GB in size after the patches have been added, which likely explains the good framerate and higher resolution. But for a system that brought out God of War III and Uncharted 2, I expected a little bit better. But then again on the PS4 both games run a lot quicker and smoother.

What's more peculiar is Resogun feels the exact same on the Vita. The Vita is usually almost always the most inferior when it comes to multiplatform games. The Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank series run like a complete charm on the PS3, but on the Vita there is frame rate drops, worse graphics (likely what the PS2 put out) and considerable lag. Strange enough as this sounds I had it easier on the Vita for Resogun. On the PS3 I was dying constantly on the first two levels on Veteran.

Since there is no way to look at patch notes for either the Vita or the PS3, I can only assume they made Resogun more difficult. Unfortunately I'm probably going to have to delete the game and reinstall it without the patch and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I will probably NEVER get those three trophies from the DLC. Beat the game in local co-op without dying once? That's like beating Battletoads on the NES without using continues, and I already know how crazy that game was.

I can't remember if they patched it out, but I did this by myself with two controllers. How it worked was that if one person died, you could restart the level you were on without penalty.

It still sucked, especially the bosses, but it's certainly doable if it still lets you restart like that. Now that there's shareplay it might not even be necessary at all.

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm honestly surprised at the trophy rarity for this version of Resogun. To me this would be like getting ultra rare trophies for a game that is rated 9 or 10 on the difficulty scale.

That could be because a lot of people like me who had already completed the PS4 version played it again because we got it free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

Ferox is the most balanced. Nemesis was a great help on the first four levels on Veteran because of it's homing lasers, especially when upgraded to 70 - 100 percent.

But for some reason or another they made the ship a lot weaker on the final level. Enemies take a lot more to go down as opposed to the previous levels. Phobos has no issue taking them down but there is the issue of dodging, which is very difficult since it cannot boost or move as quickly as Nemesis.

I only did Ferox once and that was beating the game the first time. Ferox doesn't have homing lasers but is faster than Phobos.

Resogun PS3 version to me is like 4-5/10... PS4 version's plat is like 3-4/10 and the PS4 100% is like 6-7/10. ;)

Don't rely too much on homing stuff, stuff like that is generally weaker. When enemies gets tough, you need more power. Don't rely on cheap homing. You also usually only need to shoot what is right in front of you anyway, so in front of you it should be.

Is it the actual level or the boss you got issues with?

Rescue humans, because that gives you extra lives and power ups or whatever.

Can't you co op this level? :S

1 minute ago, Shadiochao said:

I can't remember if they patched it out, but I did this by myself with two controllers. How it worked was that if one person died, you could restart the level you were on without penalty.

It still sucked, especially the bosses, but it's certainly doable if it still lets you restart like that. Now that there's shareplay it might not even be necessary at all.

Yeah, I did it shareplay, twice. For me and for the person who helped me. And what you say is what I did. If someone dies, just restart level to avoid it counting. I think we only had to restart like once or twice among those two playthroughs, so definitely doable, and that was through shareplay that adds additional lag. xD 

2 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

They did.  I think there's still a way to cheat it similar to that,  though I don't know exactly what it is.  I think it was you game over and choose to restart the level and it still counts.  

17 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The thing is MMDE is Resogun is NOT a big game. I think the PS4 version is close to 1 GB in size after the patches have been added, which likely explains the good framerate and higher resolution. But for a system that brought out God of War III and Uncharted 2, I expected a little bit better. But then again on the PS4 both games run a lot quicker and smoother.

What's more peculiar is Resogun feels the exact same on the Vita. The Vita is usually almost always the most inferior when it comes to multiplatform games. The Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank series run like a complete charm on the PS3, but on the Vita there is frame rate drops, worse graphics (likely what the PS2 put out) and considerable lag. Strange enough as this sounds I had it easier on the Vita for Resogun. On the PS3 I was dying constantly on the first two levels on Veteran.

Since there is no way to look at patch notes for either the Vita or the PS3, I can only assume they made Resogun more difficult. Unfortunately I'm probably going to have to delete the game and reinstall it without the patch and see if that makes a difference.

I highly doubt they made it any harder on purpose. IIRC, they made it a bit easier in certain regards, but because of certain issues like frame rate and how enemies behaved, I think you even see less of the screen, input latency etc etc, it just made the game worse and less playable, which makes it harder. Honestly, not by much, and the hardest thing by far was the multiplier followed by the 1CC trophy. Veteran was rather easy IMO.

I used Ferox, so use that!

Also, if you think Veteran is hard... Master is hard! I've beat the game on Master, not sure about the PS3 version, but I certainly did several times on PS4. I think on PS4 I did some "achievements" for rescuing all humans on Master. I even think I did some for rescuing all humans in all the levels in one go without game over, and I think I did that on Veteran. Pretty sure there is some crazy challenges where you can't do certain stuff, like shooting, and you play the last level on Master! xD You don't have to do any of this stuff, but you gotta do a decent amount of challenges and you get XP for it too.

8 minutes ago, Gage said:

They did.  I think there's still a way to cheat it similar to that,  though I don't know exactly what it is.  I think it was you game over and choose to restart the level and it still counts.  

That sounds like what I did, not just restarting the level. I think we had to actually run out of lives.

Edited by MMDE

40 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

That could be because a lot of people like me who had already completed the PS4 version played it again because we got it free.

That's probably the reason.

I'm pretty good at platformers and can do most third person shooters/games with little issues. Since I haven't played a shooter like Resogun or Life Force in probably over a decade, you can say it's going to be a lot harder to me.

39 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Resogun PS3 version to me is like 4-5/10... PS4 version's plat is like 3-4/10 and the PS4 100% is like 6-7/10. ;)

Don't rely too much on homing stuff, stuff like that is generally weaker. When enemies gets tough, you need more power. Don't rely on cheap homing. You also usually only need to shoot what is right in front of you anyway, so in front of you it should be.

Is it the actual level or the boss you got issues with?

Rescue humans, because that gives you extra lives and power ups or whatever.

I give a 8 or 9 out of 10, only because I'm not good at these sorts of games.

32 minutes ago, MMDE said:

I highly doubt they made it any harder on purpose. IIRC, they made it a bit easier in certain regards, but because of certain issues like frame rate and how enemies behaved, I think you even see less of the screen, input latency etc etc, it just made the game worse and less playable, which makes it harder. Honestly, not by much, and the hardest thing by far was the multiplier followed by the 1CC trophy. Veteran was rather easy IMO.

That sounds like what I did, not just restarting the level. I think we had to actually run out of lives.

I would give the first four levels of the game a solid 5 out of 10. Enough to keep you a little challenged and focused but again, completely doable.

The first time through I did level three and four within two or three attempts with Nemesis.

Level five I'm counting over twenty.

That's true, but since there's so much going on screen the homing stuff gets me more times than not. Tougher enemies don't generally home in but can be difficult too. It's all about dodging in this level and using all of your powers. I did the other levels basically just dodging and shooting and hardly ever using the other abilities.

More so the actual level. The snake boss is pretty fast when he goes through the red circles and zig zags, this is where the difficulty and pressure come in. Otherwise he's easy since you just need to be in a position where you can fire at him while avoiding the fireballs, which aren't an issue.

Rescuing humans help especially when it comes to extra lives. But apart from increased firepower and a shield every now and then, they don't do much to make the level easier.

Edited by Spaz

Just now, Deceptrox said:

By reading the comments, I wonder if the Vita version has as many issues as the PS3 one does. Which is less "painful" to play?

PSVita is less painful. I love resogun, and I couldn't stand the PS3 version.

16 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That's true, but since there's so much going on screen the homing stuff gets me more times than not. Tougher enemies don't generally home in but can be difficult too. It's all about dodging in this level and using all of your powers. I did the other levels basically just dodging and shooting and hardly ever using the other abilities.

More so the actual level. The snake boss is pretty fast when he goes through the red circles and zig zags, this is where the difficulty and pressure come in. Otherwise he's easy since you just need to be in a position where you can fire at him while avoiding the fireballs, which aren't an issue.

Recusing humans help especially when it comes to extra lives. But apart from increased firepower and a shield every now and then, they don't do much to make the level easier.

The bomb, that damage all enemies (kills most), that one is super useful and can save you a life. Just gotta be quick to use it when you see you're about to get killed by something, especially when things are too hectic. Learn which enemies to kill, what patterns they do, how to kill them easily, when to rescue humans. It's not random! Take out enemies you hate the most as quick as possible, before they get an extra boost for having been a long time in your game. Honestly, save the extra attack stuff so it can save you in a tough spot, just gotta know when to use them.

When it comes to the boss, play safe. Near the end you may need to rush a bit IIRC.

I'm not super awesome at games like these either. I do like playing them, but not great at it. There's nothing 8-9/10 about this game though, and in this genre, it's is one of the easier 100%s or plats there is.

Edited by MMDE

11 minutes ago, mapachiniartaud said:

PSVita is less painful. I love resogun, and I couldn't stand the PS3 version.

For me I found the Vita a little better when it came to response. PS3 is possibly the worst version. It could be the exact same for all I know but I kept dying in the first two levels on Veteran. On Vita, not so much.

10 minutes ago, MMDE said:

The bomb, that damage all enemies (kills most), that one is super useful and can save you a life. Just gotta be quick to use it when you see you're about to get killed by something, especially when things are too hectic. Learn which enemies to kill, what patterns they do, how to kill them easily, when to rescue humans. It's not random! Take out enemies you hate the most as quick as possible, before they get an extra boost for having been a long time in your game.

When it comes to the boss, play safe. Near the end you may need to rush a bit IIRC.

I'm not super awesome at games like these either. I do like playing them, but not great at it. There's nothing 8-9/10 about this game though, and in this genre, it's is one of the easier 100%s or plats there is.

Couldn't tell you how many times I died a split second before I would use a bomb. Pretty frustrating.

If Resogun was random I would throw my Vita and PS3 controller into a blender.

The extra boost is what's causing the problems. They're pretty doable beforehand but it gets to be too much when they gain an extra ability. As far as I'm aware this is only on Veteran and Master, lower difficulties don't give enemies that boost.

That rating is my own personal rating, for experts this would be no more than a 6 out of 10. Don't take this too seriously though as I don't consider myself to be a good player in most games unless I've played them a lot in my childhood.

Despite my anger and outbursts I do think Resogun is quite enjoyable, even on the inferior versions. If it wasn't for trophies I would be having a blast with this title.

Edited by Spaz

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Couldn't tell how many times I died a split second before I would use a bomb. Pretty frustrating.

The extra boost is what's causing the problems. They're pretty doable beforehand but it gets to be too much when they gain an extra ability. As far as I'm aware this is only on Veteran and Master, lower difficulties don't give enemies that boost.

That rating is my own personal rating, for experts this would be no more than a 6 out of 10. Don't take this too seriously though as I don't consider myself to be a good player in most games unless I've played them a lot in my childhood.

Don't take too big chances. If the game gets to hectic, too much around you and think you're likely to get shot soon, use a fitting ability to clear it. Don't waste them on anything else. Using the dash to only escape action is generally not a too good idea, but using it in a tight spot to clear a lot of enemies and get away from a certain death surely is. I think Ferox is worse at the dash, but I might remember wrong.

Yes, get rid of the annoying enemies as soon as you can, don't let them become a problem!

I think you miss my point a bit about the difficulty. I'm just saying this game is actually far from being super hard, so you should be able to do it! :) As I said before, for me, as a non-expert at this genre, it's like 4-5/10, not 6, and that should tell you something about how doable this is! :P Don't give up!

4 minutes ago, Spaz said:

*sigh* You're right.

What ship would you recommend for the final level?

As I've said before, I did it with Ferox. Did most trophies for this game before beating the game with the other ships.

Another two hours of attempts and... nothing.

I don't know how people can beat this in a few hours. I can imagine for many they can't beat this level especially with the crap port.

There's simply too much on screen and I have slow reflexes. I'll focus over on this side of the screen and oh look, a projectile hits me.

Then I somehow manage to do alright and then the game decides to throw EVERYTHING my way just before the boss. Then by the time I get to the boss my nerves are shot and I end up dying a quick death.

Also with Phobos the ship is too slow to run away from the snake boss. It catches up to you too quickly and your boost doesn't recharge fast enough.

25 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Another two hours of attempts and... nothing.

I don't know how people can beat this in a few hours. I can imagine for many they can't beat this level especially with the crap port.

There's simply too much on screen and I have slow reflexes. I'll focus over on this side of the screen and oh look, a projectile hits me.

Then I somehow manage to do alright and then the game decides to throw EVERYTHING my way just before the boss. Then by the time I get to the boss my nerves are shot and I end up dying a quick death.

Also with Phobos the ship is too slow to run away from the snake boss. It catches up to you too quickly and your boost doesn't recharge fast enough.

Not sure why you still use Phobos? I did it easily with Ferox! :P

At least it sounds like you get to the boss. If you got issues with the boss, I suggest you practice it at a lower difficulty level where you get to it more easily and you can learn the boss more easily or something. It is by far the hardest boss though, and it can be a bit cheap, but it's totally doable. Have you watched any videos of someone "good" playing against it? Might learn some cool tricks or techniques from it?

Isn't that with Phobos though?

" On the last phase, just stand below its body and you won't get hit by the bullets "

Also, you don't actually have to run away all the time when it moves around in those holes. It's just to dodge them and move in other directions etc. xD The game will place tons in front of you if you try to just run away, gotta change direction or run away even faster IIRC.

^ Someone else beating the last boss on veteran...

And here's someone beating the last level on master:

But these are PS4, I've done last level on master too on PS4 (and that's definitely hard)! xD This guy plays pretty well I'd say! :)

Edited by MMDE

Not sure if those videos help much. I just need to persevere.

Thankfully this game is cross buy so I'll be playing the PS4 version here in a few short hours. If I can get the platinum fairly quickly without too much trouble I can conclude the PS3/Vita version is a pile of dog shit.

Plus you get two expansions right from the start too.