Tips and Tricks!

I was waiting for you to post this ever since you mentioned it! Nice work! :D

I had no idea Future Tone was so different. It looks like I have a lot to learn if I want to get even half decent at the game. I really appreciate you going through the effort of explaining it all so even someone like me can understand. I followed the topic so I can keep coming back to it when I start the game. I'm sure that I'll have more questions then. :giggle:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I was waiting for you to post this ever since you mentioned it! Nice work! :D

I had no idea Future Tone was so different. It looks like I have a lot to learn if I want to get even half decent at the game. I really appreciate you going through the effort of explaining it all so even someone like me can understand. I followed the topic so I can keep coming back to it when I start the game. I'm sure that I'll have more questions then. :giggle:

Of course, anytime! It actually snuck up on me and it kinda just hit me that the localization is just around the corner.

Future Tone admittedly does take a while to get used to the differences, especially the hold system. But keep at it, and you'll be climbing up the leaderboards soon!

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know, will be useful when I get it :3

Also great to finally see a project diva trophy list that's not just all "you earned this title!" with no explanation about how to get it

Edited by Zanreo

I never looked into it while playing the Japanese version but I recall a post saying you can turn off some of the arcade style functions. Granted at the start the mulit touch buttons were doing my head in and due to this I just played all the songs on Hard mode. But you do get use to them after a while.

Edited by fisty123

8 hours ago, fisty123 said:

I never looked into it while playing the Japanese version but I recall a post saying you can turn off some of the arcade style functions. Granted at the start the mulit touch buttons were doing my head in and due to this I just played all the songs on Hard mode. But you do get use to them after a while.

I'm curious, what kind of functions was it saying you can turn off? This is a port of the arcade, so being able to turn off multi notes would kind of be silly tbh since they're a major part of the game. 

2 hours ago, slash said:

I'm curious, what kind of functions was it saying you can turn off? This is a port of the arcade, so being able to turn off multi notes would kind of be silly tbh since they're a major part of the game. 

The post I seen a while back must of been a lie, I can not find anything in the options to allow you to turn them off on or under song settings. Beyond turning the Multi Press Assist on and off that is about it which by default is turned on.

I don't think its needed once you do enough of them you get used to the multi touch buttons.

EDIT: However detection assist means as long as you push the right amount of buttons your life gauge will not drop even if you push the wrong buttons. I was not aware of this.

Edited by fisty123

47 minutes ago, fisty123 said:

The post I seen a while back must of been a lie, I can not find anything in the options to allow you to turn them off on or under song settings. Beyond turning the Multi Press Assist on and off that is about it which by default is turned on.

I don't think its needed once you do enough of them you get used to the multi touch buttons.

EDIT: However detection assist means as long as you push the right amount of buttons your life gauge will not drop even if you push the wrong buttons. I was not aware of this.

Oh I see, gotcha. 

As for wrong notes, your life gauge will still drop, but the penalty for doing so is significantly less. It's a tactic used in score attacking songs to extend certain hold notes for bonuses. Without this, score attacking would be nigh impossible since missing a note entirely severely depletes your health bar. You might see WRONG written in red, and health wise that's much better than a WORST. 

Awesome post.  i downloaded this night and played 3 or 4 songs .   I just love the huge amount of songs .  Im more a Hard player than Extreme but this game motivates me to get better (leaderbord is always motivation).

Remapping R1-2  and L1-2 is pretty much the most important tip.  the doable notes are still overwhelming sometimes but i guess learning a specific song is the way to go.

1 hour ago, slash said:

As for wrong notes, your life gauge will still drop, but the penalty for doing so is significantly less. It's a tactic used in score attacking songs to extend certain hold notes for bonuses. Without this, score attacking would be nigh impossible since missing a note entirely severely depletes your health bar. You might see WRONG written in red, and health wise that's much better than a WORST. 

This is what I thought, but when you push the help button in the options in the English version it has that is does not drop at all. Ah well I am more of enjoy the game so I will stick to hard more like last time with some songs I enjoy on Extreme.

9 hours ago, kalenemariesmith said:

I can't find it in the store, which is weird. I have the Jap version but I want the English version too.

Yeah, the NA store wasn't updated until a couple hours ago. Should be up now! 

6 hours ago, Zanreo said:

Got this shortly after it was out in the shop and really enjoying it so far :D So many songs...

Also it's significantly harder, even several Hard songs kicked my ass x3 Fun to try these new game mechanics!

Yeaaaah it's definitely harder than the previous games. Since it is an arcade, it's made to entice you to spend some more money to try the song again xD some songs in Future Tone on hard are legit tougher than some songs on extreme in the previous games

Edited by slash

1 hour ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Apparently there's only two songs in the free version. Considering the fact that the large purchases are classed as DLC on here can you earn the base game trophies with just the two? 

That's a good question, actually. One would think so, though I'm not sure if they lock module selection until you get one of the packs. The other trophies are definitely possible, though playing for 39 minutes with only 2 songs seems a little tedious xD

8 minutes ago, slash said:

That's a good question, actually. One would think so, though I'm not sure if they lock module selection until you get one of the packs. The other trophies are definitely possible, though playing for 39 minutes with only 2 songs seems a little tedious xD

You can do everything in the base list with the free songs,  though that'd be moderately boring seeing as you only have two songs and have to play them for 40 minutes total for the one trophy.  

• Like 1

On 7.1.2017 at 9:55 PM, slash said:

Unlike the previous games, Future Tone ranks you via final point total rather than straight accuracy. I know this sounds counter intuitive since higher accuracy should yield more points, but this is not the case in Future Tone because of the hold notes. A 100% on a song in Future Tone is when you get a COOL on every single note without any hold notes. Because of this, it's possible to score <100% on a perfect and get >100% on an excellent. As previously mentioned, points via hold notes rack up very quickly, and doing so for a quad hold yields a significant point bonus. This is why in order to score attack, sacrificing notes is sometimes necessary to earn high scores and place high the leaderboards. 

So what score is he saving? Lets say you get perfect  , and after you get excellent with more points .  It will show the higher score right? but is it also overwriting the perfect? is it impossible to save the Perfect rank because its impossible to get higher score with the Perfect? .

I mean tbh i will never come in this situation , because i can maybe Perfect "normal" songs and not much higher.  But it would e interesting .

2 hours ago, Xionx said:

So what score is he saving? Lets say you get perfect  , and after you get excellent with more points .  It will show the higher score right? but is it also overwriting the perfect? is it impossible to save the Perfect rank because its impossible to get higher score with the Perfect? .

I mean tbh i will never come in this situation , because i can maybe Perfect "normal" songs and not much higher.  But it would e interesting .

Nope, the game will always save the highest rank you've ever gotten in a song in both % and points. So for my example in Clover Club, even though my score attack trumped my perfect with an excellent, the excellent badge will never override the perfect one. However, the high score will override, and you can see your personal best on the bottom right of the song selection screen. 

1 minute ago, slash said:

Nope, the game will always save the highest rank you've ever gotten in a song in both % and points. So for my example in Clover Club, even though my score attack trumped my perfect with an excellent, the excellent badge will never override the perfect one. However, the high score will override, and you can see your personal best on the bottom right of the song selection screen. 

Ok thats pretty much what i expected .  showing both "bests" even if its on different runs.

I have maybe another small question for you ^_^ .  There is something called "survival course" in leaderbord section .  How can you play these survival mode? do i have to unlock the extremes first i guess , because they include extreme songs.

1 hour ago, Xionx said:

Ok thats pretty much what i expected .  showing both "bests" even if its on different runs.

I have maybe another small question for you ^_^ .  There is something called "survival course" in leaderbord section .  How can you play these survival mode? do i have to unlock the extremes first i guess , because they include extreme songs.

You can get to Survival Course by holding down :l2: and :r2: at the same time on the song selection screen. You don't have to unlock extreme modes to play. Pressing the options button while on the song selection menu will give you a breakdown of how to navigate the game as well. If you have any questions, you'll probably find your answer there :) .

Edited by slash

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2017 at 3:55 PM, slash said:

Unlike the previous games, Future Tone ranks you via final point total rather than straight accuracy. I know this sounds counter intuitive since higher accuracy should yield more points, but this is not the case in Future Tone because of the hold notes. A 100% on a song in Future Tone is when you get a COOL on every single note without any hold notes. Because of this, it's possible to score <100% on a perfect and get >100% on an excellent. As previously mentioned, points via hold notes rack up very quickly, and doing so for a quad hold yields a significant point bonus. This is why in order to score attack, sacrificing notes is sometimes necessary to earn high scores and place high the leaderboards. 

I think I've noticed that the extra percentage seems to stop increasing when I have enough points to get a standard grade on a song.