Shovel Knight-campaigns to get standalone releases (+ announcement of local 2-player-coop)

crimsonidol38

31 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

So, does this mean that Plague Knight will get its own trophy structure? While I know that standalone games have varying trophies, Plague of Shadows would definitely have the least trophies of any game on the system.

If the standalone verison of Plague Knight should get it's own trophy list (similar to Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry and unlike the Last of Us: Left Behind-DLC) than I assume it will have a trophy for each of the ingame-achievements (the feats), like it does on Steam or on Xbox.

According to the Q&A this is at least a thing they are aware of:

Are there any gameplay differences between the standalone campaign and a campaign found in Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove?

Nope! These will feature the same gameplay content for that particular character, campaign, or mode. The biggest difference is that Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove has it all in one place. Both versions will have the same Challenges and Feats, but the standalone campaign versions may correlate more Feats to Trophies / Achievements, due to to the rules on that platform.

http://yachtclubgames.com/shovel-knight-treasure-trove-qa/

Edited by Crimson Idol

Okay, seems like the price for the standalone versions and the new price for Treasure Trove is out:

Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will launch first in Nintendo Switch’s launch window for $24.99 and $9.99 respectively!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/01/switch-at-pax/

Assuming the price will be the same across all platforms a standalone campaign will probably cost $10 and Treasure Trove $25.

I'm pissed by this decision. So that means that not only I'll keep playing the basic game (which I have) and its DLCs to get 100% completion... but also buy each campaign separately and do all the feats again to acquire new potential Platinums?!

Plague Knight's feats are difficult, alright. Doing it all the DLCs feats twice for the sake of trophies and (maybe) Platinums would be insane! I LOVE Shovel Knight but I don't know if I would have the courage to 100% feats every campaign twice.

The best thing the developers can do is to create a different trophy list for each campaign for the owners of the original game. You know, like Driveclub which has its base list and a different trophy list for Bikes expansion, two different trophy lists within the same game. Or yet all the different trophy lists from Remastered collections we're used to see.

Edited by Maxie the Mouse

• 2 weeks later...
On 19.1.2017 at 8:35 PM, savageamusement said:

Very confused by this, so is it better to buy now or not? 

Pretty annoyed I didn't buy this in the last sale now as I want it on my VITA

Sorry, didn't see this earlier.

If you want to get the most content for the lowest possible price you should get the Shovel Knight that is currently available as that version will get all future campaigns as free updates (with only a few trophies for each).

If you care for trophies, it would be a smarter move to wait and get each single campaign as they release in the near future as it's more likely that each campaign will get an own trophy list with a possible plat for each of them.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a physical copy of this game, how do I know whether I will get the additional content without further cost? For now I'm mainly interested in the coop, this is the only reason I've waited this long in the first place, but more campaigns would certainly be nice to have! I didn't notice any updates loading though and there seem to be no hints that the Plague Knight part is already included.

Still waiting on the individual releases for Switch. I'm dying to finally play this sucker, but I only wanna grab the "Shovel of Hope" campaign for starters. Rather throw 13 down on that sucker in case I somehow don't fancy the game, than 33 for "Treasure Trove" and find out I don't want it as much as I thought I would.

Spectre of Torment is up on it's own for 13 though, next to the Treasure Trove, so I don't know, but I hope we get the rest on their own because I would buy the main game in a heart beat. If I like it, I'll buy the other campaigns and bite the bullet with the few bucks lost, but since they're supposed to be available on their own soon, I'd rather wait for that.

Shame too, because my Switch launch was meant to be Shovel Knight and Fast RMX, not just Fast RMX over and over and over (not that I'm complaining, that game is ace)

48 minutes ago, Karlsson89 said:

I recently bought a physical copy of this game, how do I know whether I will get the additional content without further cost? For now I'm mainly interested in the coop, this is the only reason I've waited this long in the first place, but more campaigns would certainly be nice to have! I didn't notice any updates loading though and there seem to be no hints that the Plague Knight part is already included.

The physical release that is currently available will become the Treasure Trove-version and you will get all promised campaigns and other features for free via patches (and therefor with a reduced trophy set like currently for Plague Knight). AFAIK you currently have to finish the main campaign at least once to unlock Plague Knight.

8 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Still waiting on the individual releases for Switch. I'm dying to finally play this sucker, but I only wanna grab the "Shovel of Hope" campaign for starters. Rather throw 13 down on that sucker in case I somehow don't fancy the game, than 33 for "Treasure Trove" and find out I don't want it as much as I thought I would.

I guess the standalone campaign will launch in April together with the Torment-update for all other platforms.

• Like 1

Almost tempted to get the base game but who am I kidding, I'll buy everything eventually anyways. If the price for Specter on the Switch is any indication, each separate game will cost €10 (possibly Shovel Of Hope will cost €15 since it's the main game and bigger).

I'm getting the Switch version by the way, I feel like playing in handheld mode would be better for my eyes with 8-bit graphics.

I'm not sure what took you guys so long in buying Shovel Knight or is about to buy Shovel Knight, it's one of the best 8-bit experiences out there. This is coming from someone who played NES games.

I'm glad the DLC is free when it hits PlayStation consoles in April.

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm not sure what took you guys so long in buying Shovel Knight or is about to buy Shovel Knight, it's one of the best 8-bit experiences out there. This is coming from someone who played NES games.

I'm glad the DLC is free when it hits PlayStation consoles in April.

I only got interested in gaming when it hit the 16-bit era, and I'm usually not into new games that use bit graphics, I think it's a cheap and easy way for some fake nostalgia, and many games look ugly to boot.

I dismissed Shovel Knight during its development stages as a tough as nails platformer like Super Meat Boy (which I liked) or Spelunky (which I did not like) and never gave it any thought afterwards but now that I know more, I really want it.

P.S. I have bought the Shovel Knight amiibo yesterday.

• Like 1

I guess you've been around a while since the 16 bit era is almost 30 years old at this point.

It boils down to personal preference. But Shovel Knight is piss easy compared to Super Meat Boy. One of the most difficult games out there, no exaggeration. 

@Spaz yeah I'm in my early thirties now. I had seen the NES as a couple of friends had one but it didn't interest me enough to get one myself, I saw a SNES when an uncle had borrowed one (with Mario and a generic tennis game) and I was hooked, saved up for my own one afterwards. My brother got a Game Boy some time after I got a SNES but those graphics didn't interest me either, it wasn't until the Game Boy Advance (again, 16-bit) that I would display an interest in handheld gaming.

I don't think I would like playing Shovel Knight on a big screen with 8-bit graphics but I have a Switch now with a nice small handheld screen, so I could play the game entirely in handheld mode.

I thought Super Meat Boy was not as hard as Spelunky, mainly because with Super Meat Boy you can instantly retry a level. I imagine that Super Meat Boy is a pain for completionists though.

12 minutes ago, Karlsson89 said:

In my case it's simple: The Wii U got multiplayer a long time ago and I was waiting for the chance to play it cooperatively on PS4 as well (I still am^^).

You don't have to wait long any more because all versions except Vita and 3DS will get co-op.

If you wanted the PS4 version, it was much cheaper to buy it a few weeks ago though.