Shovel Knight-campaigns to get standalone releases (+ announcement of local 2-player-coop)

crimsonidol38

@BillyHorrible I'm almost done with my twenties, and was barely old enough to remember the 16 bit era.

I was a big Sonic fan in the 90s, but I also played a lot of SNES titles. I gotten the NES from my sister who is now in her late 30s so she definitely remembered the 8 bit era. 

Shovel Knight feels like a throwback, and a breath of fresh air compared to the multi million dollar budget games that have a thousand people working on them.

If you don't mind me asking what's hard about Spelunky?

Edited by Spaz

@Spaz just did the first level in Shovel Knight and it's really cool, very glad I can just play in handheld mode though. It feels right to play this on a Nintendo console.

As for Spelunky: Super Meat Boy is just some very precise split-second platforming in set levels where you restart the level you die on instantly. Spelunky is roguelike (so the levels don't stay the same), has many enemies each behaving differently and if you die you restart at the beginning. Super Meat Boy can be done until perfected by memory while Spelunky requires continuous attention and thoughtfulness, as such to me Spelunky has always been the harder one of the two.

Spelunky was on PS+ for PS4 though so if I can cut down most of my backlog, I might just try it again to see if I'm better now.

19 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

You don't have to wait long any more because all versions except Vita and 3DS will get co-op.

If you wanted the PS4 version, it was much cheaper to buy it a few weeks ago though.

That's why I recently bought it, I don't think it ever was much cheaper than 12,50€, was it?

I read that they 'hope' to be able to release the co-op mode next month, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait longer still. Is a body swap really that much more important? :D

Edited by Karlsson89

1 minute ago, Karlsson89 said:

That's why I recently bought it, I don't think it ever was much cheaper than 12,50€, was it?

I read that they 'hope' to be able to release the co-op mode next month, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had to wait longer still. Is a body swap really that much more important? :D

It has been on sale for €10 on PSN a couple of times but it hasn't been lower than that. I misread your last post as you still waiting for co-op until you'd buy it, didn't read farther back to check so I forgot that you had it already.

I haven't tried it yet but my Switch version should already have co-op mode (my wife would rather stab me than listen to 8-bit music, so sadly I'll play this one alone and with headphones), so it's basically ready just like Specter Of Torment and will release across other platforms next month.

About body swap, it was one of the stretch goals on Kickstarter, I guess it's important to some because you can finally play as the gender you want, or have Shovel and Shield be same-gender buddies or whatever your wish is. Pretty unique for platformers to allow you to manipulate this.

On 15-3-2017 at 6:55 PM, merciful84 said:

Awesome. But um...why does shield knight look like a dude in this artwork?!

On 15-3-2017 at 7:08 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Because they also added a Body Swap-mode where the body of some( or all?) characters is swapped with other characters. Don't know if it's a full-fledged gender swap-mode.

Several characters can be gender swapped. Haven't tried it because I haven't played the original but I could check tonight how it works if you want.

And @merciful84, Shield Knight is a girl in that same picture, check again ;) I guess it's less noticeable with Shovel because of the full helmet.

On 15/03/2017 at 6:55 PM, merciful84 said:

Awesome. But um...why does shield knight look like a dude in this artwork?!

On 15/03/2017 at 7:08 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Because they also added a Body Swap-mode where the body of some( or all?) characters is swapped with other characters. Don't know if it's a full-fledged gender swap-mode.

11 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Several characters can be gender swapped. Haven't tried it because I haven't played the original but I could check tonight how it works if you want.

And @merciful84, Shield Knight is a girl in that same picture, check again ;) I guess it's less noticeable with Shovel because of the full helmet.

So, if you start with body swap then you can choose gender of body and gender of text per character, these don't have to match. You can do this for Shovel, Shield, Black, all eight of the Order and the Enchantress. You also have default, opposite and random options for all at once, and everything can be changed during the game in the pause menu.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

So, if you start with body swap then you can choose gender of body and gender of text per character, these don't have to match. You can do this for Shovel, Shield, Black, all eight of the Order and the Enchantress. You also have default, opposite and random options for all at once, and everything can be changed during the game in the pause menu.

Thanks for the heads-up. Personally I don't really care about such options but I'm sure there will be some people that will care for it or otherwise people wouldn't be so excited about it.

8 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Thanks for the heads-up. Personally I don't really care about such options but I'm sure there will be some people that will care for it or otherwise people wouldn't be so excited about it.

If it wasn't there then I wouldn't care but I think it's very nice that they give people options like this, usually only big sandbox games give you a gender option and even then only for you and your partner.

Personally I'm doing one playthrough "as intended", but after that I'm changing Shovel and Shield into a bromance.