Challenge: Boost Your Trophy Grades 2017

Nice to see this return, I'm in once again.

Here are my current stats:

S: 96

A: 18

B: 3

C: 3

D :0

E: 4

F: 0

Completion: 88.88%

# of games played: 124

# of unearned trophies: 573

And here are my goals:

S: 130

A: 11

B: 3

C: 1

D : 0

E: 2

I'm currently working on World of Final Fantasy, I intend to make that an S this month. I'm in chapter 19 and put the story on hold to do intervention battles, colosseum battles and make some progress towards People Pleaser. I'll quite likely resume the story on Thursday or Friday.

Edited by viech54

Welcome!  And yes, it is such a nice challenge because getting a game from E to D can actually be pretty easy some people just need a kick to do it.  But then making goals like this can be fun because if like you just get your Es down to 2, then your D goal is no longer met and so on.

The main addition this time is that I did make a spreadsheet like we'd talked about in the last.  Each person will be listed on the main sheet, but each person also will have their own sheet that shows where they were at the beginning of the month and that way everyone can also see how well they progressed over the months.

As far as what I'm up to, I'm mostly playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II.  That game is so seriously addictive so even though I long ago met my goal of getting it to A rank, I probably won't be able to stop playing until I have it at S rank.

I guess I should try this out, even though I fail every trophy challenge:

my current ranks:

S - 3

A - 33

B - 10

C - 10

D - 15

E - 52

F - 12

My goal:

S - 34

A - 43

B - 15

C - 16

D - 8

E - 4

F - 3

Unfortunately I have to buy a new PS3 in order to do most of these, which I will likely buy in April, as Imna but a scooter soon and have rent, on top of buying Let's Play stuff and some trademarks for my business :(

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Welcome!  And yes, it is such a nice challenge because getting a game from E to D can actually be pretty easy some people just need a kick to do it.  But then making goals like this can be fun because if like you just get your Es down to 2, then your D goal is no longer met and so on.

The main addition this time is that I did make a spreadsheet like we'd talked about in the last.  Each person will be listed on the main sheet, but each person also will have their own sheet that shows where they were at the beginning of the month and that way everyone can also see how well they progressed over the months.

As far as what I'm up to, I'm mostly playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II.  That game is so seriously addictive so even though I long ago met my goal of getting it to A rank, I probably won't be able to stop playing until I have it at S rank.

True, true, if I just play a little bit, my Es will be Ds or maybe Cs, but I'm expecting to get all the games I want to play from their current rank straight to S, so it's fine.

The spreadsheet sounds like it'll be a lot more work than what we had in the previous challenge. Thanks for doing all of that :) It'll be great to see our monthly progress.

Trails of Cold Steel I & II are also on my to do list. I have to buy them (current PSN sale in EU or retail) and actually make time for them. Considering their length and all the other games on my to do list, this is hard.

Wow, going from 52 to 4 E ranks is quite the goal there!  Good luck with that and have added you @Fierce_DeityX1

@Fitzquaid - well, I thought my goal was insane enough of nothing below an A rank, but I only have 19 of those right now and it only would become an issue if I went and played all my unplayed games a bit and suddenly had disposable income to buy games again.

3 hours ago, viech54 said:

The spreadsheet sounds like it'll be a lot more work than what we had in the previous challenge. Thanks for doing all of that :) It'll be great to see our monthly progress.

Trails of Cold Steel I & II are also on my to do list. I have to buy them (current PSN sale in EU or retail) and actually make time for them. Considering their length and all the other games on my to do list, this is hard.

Actually it's harder to do the updating in the initial post, the spreadsheet is pretty easy once I remembered how to format stuff.  If I feel really adventurous I could do graphs and such as well, but for now raw data with notes for the goals does the job.

And I can understand about making time for the Cold Steel games.  They are really good and incredibly addictive, but you are looking at roughly 100 hours to plat each one.  There are definitely longer JRPGs out there, but 100 hours isn't exactly short.

10 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

Wow, going from 52 to 4 E ranks is quite the goal there!  Good luck with that and have added you @Fierce_DeityX1

@Fitzquaid - well, I thought my goal was insane enough of nothing below an A rank, but I only have 19 of those right now and it only would become an issue if I went and played all my unplayed games a bit and suddenly had disposable income to buy games again.

Actually it's harder to do the updating in the initial post, the spreadsheet is pretty easy once I remembered how to format stuff.  If I feel really adventurous I could do graphs and such as well, but for now raw data with notes for the goals does the job.

And I can understand about making time for the Cold Steel games.  They are really good and incredibly addictive, but you are looking at roughly 100 hours to plat each one.  There are definitely longer JRPGs out there, but 100 hours isn't exactly short.

I like challenges :)

Also,if you ever need help with excel, I'm quite good with it since I learned Microsoft Office back in college.

Glad to see it back. Here are my goals for the year:

E ranks (current 19, goal 9)

Spoiler

E Ranked Games:

Metro 2033 Redux

Borderlands 2

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment

ICO

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn

The Last Tinker: City of Colors

Assassin’s Creed III

God of War

Borderlands

Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood

D ranks (current 11, goal 0)

Spoiler

D Ranked Games:

Trine 2: Complete Story

Rayman 3 HD

Battlefield 4

Shadow Warrior

Battle Princess of Arcadias

Batman: Arkham Origins

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

Mass Effect

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Infamous

Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

Platinums (current 45, goal 75)

My goal is to get rid of half my E ranks and all of my D ranks. Anything beyond that is extra. I don't really care how many Cs, Bs, and As I have. My goal though is to increase my platinums from 45 to 75.

Spoiler

Starting Ranks:

E: 19

D: 11

C: 20

B: 6

A: 21

S: 49

Edited by colinmazzini

I'd like to join in on this round as well, please.  :)

E (current: 15, goal: ≤5), D (current: 13, goal: ≤5), C (current: 2, goal: 0), S (current: 82, goal: 110+)

Completion (current: 70.31%, goal: 80%+)

Don't tend to leave many games on B, but that and up is ideal. Would like to get rid of everything possible below that, but I know it's not happening - five or less is still a reasonably difficult goal for me.

In most cases, I try to play a series in order, so some may have online in progress or finished but otherwise be ignored. With all the PS3 games shutting down lately, I could wind up tossing in a bunch of low ranks to clear them out while it's still possible.  :dunno:

Just for me to see how things have gone by the end of the year...

Start:
E 15
D 13
C 2
B 4
A 20
S 82
% 70.31

Had better have improved by 2018:
E   Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
D   Batman: Arkham Origins
E   Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
A   Disney Infinity 2.0
A   Disney Infinity 3.0
E   Far Cry 3
A   Heavy Rain
C   Hitman: Absolution
D   inFamous
E   Lollipop Chainsaw
D   Mass Effect
A   Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD
E   Okami HD
D   Ratchet & Clank
A   Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
A   Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
A   Saints Row: The Third
B   Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
B   Tales From the Borderlands
A   The Sims 3: Pets

Very likely to start:
[4]   Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
[4]   Arslan: The Warriors of Legend
[V]   Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
[3]   Demon's Souls
[4]   Final Fantasy Type-0
[3]   Final Fantasy X
[V]   Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds
[3]   inFamous 2
[4]   inFamous: Second Son
[3]   Iron Man 2
[3]   Jak 3
[4]   The Last Tinker: City of Colors
[3]   The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
[4]   Life is Strange
[4]   Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness
[4]   Root Letter
[4]   Samurai Warriors 4: Legends
[4]   Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
[4]   Steins;Gate 0
[4]   The Nonary Games
[4]   The Order: 1886
[4]   Until Dawn
[3]   Watch_Dogs

Low interest/stuck:
D   Assassin's Creed III
E   Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate
E   Borderlands 2
E   Final Fantasy XIII
A   Flame Over
E   Game of Thrones RPG
E   God of War
E   God of War: Chains of Olympus
D   Jak II
D   Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
D   Puppeteer
E   Ragnarok Odyssey ACE
E   Rayman Origins
C   Remember Me
D   SSX
D   Tokyo Jungle
D   Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
D   Yakuza 4

Impossible/unlikely to go up a letter:
A   CounterSpy
A   Dante's Inferno   :platinum:
A   Dead Nation
E   God of War: Ascension
B   Grid 2
A   Kung Fu Rabbit
A   LittleBigPlanet 2
A   One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
A   Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
E   Rainbow Moon
A   Sound Shapes
A   Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
A   The Amazing Spider-Man 2
A   The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim   :platinum:
B   The Last of Us
A   The Raven
D   The Witch and the Hundred Knight
A   Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters

Edited by SyIaris
Quit it with the extra line breaks already...

12 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

well, I thought my goal was insane enough of nothing below an A rank, but I only have 19 of those right now and it only would become an issue if I went and played all my unplayed games a bit and suddenly had disposable income to buy games again.

Sounds like a good plan if you've already got a set of games you're going to enjoy and no plans to buy a bunch more.  Kill Your Completion events are an occupational hazard, though...

For me I think I'm going to aim high but also give myself a bit more leeway compared to last year:

E ranks (current 10, goal 5)

D ranks (current 27, goal 10)

C ranks (current 11, goal 20 max)

Spoiler

Start:
E 10
D 27
C 11
B 12
A 18
S 21
% 45.09

Edited by Fitzquaid
Stealing Sylaris's snazzy format for my starting stats

I was a bit late last year, so as of 15th of January 2017, my starting stats are as follows:

S - 94- 91B - 28, C - 21D - 34E - 74F - 5

My aim is to reduce my F ranks to 0, lower my E ranks to <20, D ranks to <15, C ranks can increase to 30 or 40, B ranks up to 40, A ranks to go down to <80 and S ranks to be >110.

I will mostly be going back to all the games I haven't touched in years (some of the games I have, haven't been played in over 6 years).

I have this habit of starting games, playing them just once, getting a rank E and then never going back to it.  I joined the A Casual Attack on Your Backlog event and am picking my oldest (in terms of latest trophy) rank Es with an aim to get them to rank A.  This event appears to dovetail nicely as it will stop me adding more games to the list of Es, instead allowing a twin focus of clearing backlog and playing new games properly (i.e. to story completion and/or rank A).

As at 01 January I had:

S - 15

A - 24

B - 12

C - 7

D - 28

E - 69

I typically delete the Fs so not going to track those.

As I have so many barely played games I'm not planning on getting bogged down by grinding to get S ranks, I'm more than happy with rank A so my target will be to move my combined rank S + A from 25% currently to 50%, which will also move my average rank from its current D to an A.

Okay, I got everyone on the spreadsheet and will get everyone in the first post ASAP.

@richtayls - I so know that feeling about playing games for long enough to get them to an E and then going to something else.  My attention span seems to have grown worse as I get older and often games don't get interesting until you get much farther in.

@Frozen_Guardian - Feel free to add some more specific goals besides get that to a C average.  I bet if you make a nice dent on those Es though it will come easily enough once less is bringing down the C and higher ranks.

I do think it's nice to see so many looking to go back to games that haven't been touched for years though!  Most of what I'm working on appears to be more recent stuff, but one of them was a leftover from the kill your completion event that had been remaining unplayed since like 2014 or 2015.  My own library had a bunch of stuff I hadn't even touched yet, though that number has come down by a large amount and outside of sequels to stuff I haven't finished yet, I actually am down to only 7 games not played.  My own goal of nothing below an A rank really is me hoping I can nearly completely wipe out my backlog on here at least and have the only unearned trophies be the ones that I'm having trouble earning.

• Like 1

I'm down for this challenge, even though I'm already averaging an A in my grades I have 48 games that I've purchased but haven't started yet, and I only have about 30GB of free space between my 3 consoles to fit them on. Alot of my focus with this challenge will be powering through the games that I've mostly completed but stalled out on, in order to delete them and make more room to start my other games, along with giving games I haven't really played through a second chance and getting at least most of the way through them.

S: (Current 70, Goal 100+)

A: (Current 46, Goal ≤50)

B: (Current 14, Goal 10)

C: (Current 11, Goal ≤10)

D: (Current 17, Goal ≤5)

E: (Current 17, Goal ≤5)

F: (Current 2, Goal 0)

Completion: (Current 62.99%, Goal 70%+)

Unstarted Games: (Current 48, Goal 25)

• Like 1

@Ratchet2425 - Got you added to the spreadsheet.  I so know the feeling of limited space, though probably a bit more since my Vita has a 4GB memory card and my PS3 is a 12GB one.  Since I'm a lot more anti-digital on consoles than on PC it works out because most of the digital only games are also on PC where I'm not as limited in HD space due to my 1TB hard drive and laptop good enough to play PS4 releases despite being over 3 years old.

And I'm slowly working on getting everyone in the first post, it should be updated fully by the end of today.  Hope everyone is doing well with their goals so far!

I admit, I keep getting tempted to just go and earn a trophy in all my unplayed games (except the direct sequels) and then just chip away at everything throughout the year.  I might end up compromising and just wipe out my Vita unplayed games since that's only 2 games now (Deception IV and Pocket RPG to be exact) and the whole Vita backlog is just a tiny pile of games.  But then I change my mind and go nope, not starting any new games til I get my completion back to 75%.  At least the tiny PS3 hard drive and the amount of time some of those installs would take kills that temptation outside of Vita fast.

• Like 2

@Edunstar84 - Welcome!  Had a feeling you'd join eventually.  Look forward to seeing your goals.

And to everyone, I added a small change to the rules where I'll allow people to change goals mid challenge if they underestimated or decide to add a new goal.

So to use myself as an example, I have no goal for A ranks.  I could go in later and say I only want to have a max of 5 A ranks and everything else will be S ranked, but I can't go in and allow myself to have up to 5 B ranks since my current goal is 0.  So if anyone decides to add new goal or adjust to something harder feel free, just please quote or mention me to draw my attention to it so I can note the change!

Edited by ladynadiad

I'll join, I need to motivate myself to clear some of my E games, which are a lot, and up my completion % rate! 
So currently I am on: 

• S (87)
  • A (12)
  • B (5)
  • C (9)
  • D (11)
  • E (61)
  • F (2)

~55% completion rate.

For me goal till end of year that I want to happen 

• S : 125+
  • A : 20 or less
  • B : 5 or less
  • C : 5 or less
  • D : 10 or less
  • E : 20 or less
  • F : 5 or less

Completion rate: 65% or more

I have some games that have been started, but platinums are unachiavable, so I left a bit of a room there for those, as I don't have patience to count and sort which is what, and I am not sure I will find any motive to play them to rank them up, anytime soon, if at all.

Happy hunting for all ^_^ 

p.s. internal bonus challenge for me is to do this all while remaining under 250 games played until end of 2017.... :D I buy and start too many games... xD

• Like 2

For the time being, I've put the platinum in World of Final Fantasy on hold. I should have the trophy for all treasure chests now, but for some reason, I don't have it. Could be a bug or I might've missed a treasure chest or the guide I used is flawed, but until I have that trophy, there's no need to do the rest. Once I get this trophy, I can probably do the rest in less than a day. I think I'll explore one or two areas a day (or more if I feel like it) and work my way through all areas of the game once again.

In the meantime, I've started Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star. I have mixed feelings about this. To fully understand the story, the relations between the characters, why they are in their current location and why this happens in the first place, it is mandatory to know the predecessors. But this is my first Fate game, I don't know much at all. Anime knowledge is not enough to compensate several games with different events/characters.

Gameplay: It is basically like the Warriors series, but worse.

It takes a while to get used to not playing the game however I want, but rather prioritzie objectives over 100%ing stages. Is is of utmost importance to do them before clearing all other areas. In other Warriors, the allies at least survived the battle if I didn't leave them alone entirely. In this game, they are pretty much useless. They only need my help and can't even conquer one area on their own. For comparison, I'm playing on Normal difficulty. It would be understandable if it were the hard mode, but it's not.

The allies will die way too fast either way, but by ignoring most of the optional areas, I can at least make sure the battle goes somewhat well. There's just too much going on in battles, I almost literally need to be everywhere at the same time. That's impossible, I have to accept that I can't save everyone and aim on completing the stage.

The music was... Well, I can't really say anything about it, I talked to others while playing the game and couldn't focus on the music, so I'm hesitant to rate it.

But don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, it has its flaws and also its good points (might talk about them later). I'm not going to comment about the characters and the story now, I want to know more about that before doing that.

• Like 1