Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) revealed

Oobedoob S Benubi

During the Switch presentation, a new Super Mario game was revealed... Super Mario Odyssey. During the presentation, it was called the first open world Mario game since Sunshine - Galaxy was not mentioned, which might be because the environments were smaller than 64/Sunshine.

Personally, an open world Mario game was all I was hoping for in the presentation. Knowing there's also a new Zelda, and counting on Kart/Party/Smash, I have enough now to know for sure that I'll get a Switch.

What's your opinion on the new Mario game? Glad they're leaving the "New" series behind, or at least that there's an open world Mario again? Or would you rather have seen a Galaxy 3?

P.S. I just watched the trailer again now I'm a bit more awake. I already noticed the "New Donk City" pun but I now see that Diddy and Dixie also get namedropped ("Diddy's Mart" and "Dixy Street", the latter one both in Diddy's Mart advert as well as a street sign)... Could it be that there's also a new Donkey Kong game in the works?

P.P.S. Forgot to mention the release date! It was stated as "holidays 2017", so expect a December release.

Edited by BillyHorrible
Scriptums
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, soniq said:

It looks ok and will probably be a good game, but I don't like the realistic look of the city and the people when Mario still has his cartoon proportions.

I get what you mean. I was very happy when the other types of levels were shown, the city likely won't play too big a part.

13 minutes ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Mario 64 made want a Nintendo 64, Mario Galaxy made me buy wii, Super Mario 3d Land a 3DS, and now it sure as heck looks like Odyssey is gonna sell me on a Switch. The only way this could be more perfect is if they confirm the city he's running around in is Brooklyn. Or some variant of....

I get what you mean, those were system sellers for me as well and the lack of one for the WiiU is the main reason I never got one.

The city seems to be called New Donk City so I'm guessing it's Manhattan, but its map does not seem to be based on the reallife New York. Seems to be just a level with a punny name, like Toad's Turnpike.

19 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I get what you mean. I was very happy when the other types of levels were shown, the city likely won't play too big a part.

Seemed to me that they showed more of the city than anything else but we'll see. If it's open world, I hope they can make something more interesting with it than a huge map with lots of things to collect.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, soniq said:

Seemed to me that they showed more of the city than anything else but we'll see. If it's open world, I hope they can make something more interesting with it than a huge map with lots of things to collect.

Well, they started with the city (made the Mario reveal a nice surprise) and moved on to the rest later.

It's open world in the sense that Mario 64 was an open world, I guess, I'm not expecting a Rockstar kind of map.

I couldn't stand Galaxy or 3D Land/World. Far too linear and easy (especially the '3D' games - they felt like they were 2D.)

This looks like what I want from Mario... an open hub to explore (the castle in 64 was great) and more open levels (not just straight paths like Galaxy/3D.) I just hope it's not a joke in terms of difficulty like the most recent games.

• Like 2

Glad to see that they're going back to the non-linear level design from 64 and Sunshine, that's where 3D Mario was at its peak imho. Not enough to sell me on a Switch just yet though, not going to make the mistake i made with the Wii U.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

I couldn't stand Galaxy or 3D Land/World. Far too linear and easy (especially the '3D' games - they felt like they were 2D.)

This looks like what I want from Mario... an open hub to explore (the castle in 64 was great) and more open levels (not just straight paths like Galaxy/3D.) I just hope it's not a joke in terms of difficulty like the most recent games.

I liked Galaxy and I appreciated 3D Land as a handheld title but I indeed did not appreciate the "New Bros" and other 2D linears.

As for difficulty, I like how Galaxy and Land did it. For the main game, normal or even easy gameplay but tough challenges after the regular levels for those who want it all.

Game looks great :D And I'm glad to see another more "open" level (64/Sunshine style) Mario (I liked Galaxy and 3D World but still missed this type of game), hopefully the levels will be more non-linear too! (One of my favorite things with 64 DS as a kid was how I could sometimes get a star that wasn't even the one I was looking for by just exploring the level)

Wish it was a launch title, but still looking forwards to this :D

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

There's no doubt that the game looks amazing. However, at the moment it's not enough for me to get a Switch on launch (although it definitely tempts me). I'll most likely wait until the holiday season for it to go on sale and see the games that have released by then. The last thing I want is a repeat of the Wii U (which I played for a week and then sold).

This looks great because of the free roam aspect and other worlds. To think they show all these new enemies and all Mario has to do to beat them is jump on their heads.:D Another thing is Bowser and Peach getting hitched. Now they added more drama to Mario. I'm not getting the Nintendo Switch but it still looks pretty fun.

Visually this game looks awesome.  It is a little jarring seeing Mario next to more 'realistic' human characters, but I will have to wait and see what they do with it.  As for the game itself, I will hold out any excitement for it until I know what you actually do.  If it is open world like Spyro, in the sense that you have a bunch of contained 3D levels that you get to from the overworld I think it could be cool.  If it is just one big open world, I am worried that they will fall into the Quantity of Quality issue and just fill the map with the same quest repeated over and over, or hundreds of collectables.

I am cautiously optimistic.

Very encouraging game as it seems more reminiscent of Mario 64 and less like 3d Land and Galaxy. It also looks like we actually have full control of Mario and his moves like he had in Mario 64. I could not stand the limited controls and cramped feeling of the level design of Galaxy and this looks like the true successor to M64 that so many of us wanted.

But...

This is still Nintendo and i need more than one game to sell me, the trust just isn't there with their decisions in the last 15+ years. I'll wait for there to be a decent library before even considering a Switch.

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

This looks good. Hopefully Nintendo will also port 3D World for those of you who didn't get a Wii U. Personally I really liked 3D World and I also thought the Wii U had enough good games, but I realize a lot of people didn't agree about the Wii U. 

The 3D and the New series in Mario were much too linear in my taste. Not having an open world Mario game or even a Zelda is wat kept me from getting the WiiU. I did like 3D Land on the 3DS though and I'll probably get World if it comes to the Switch.

2 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

If it is open world like Spyro, in the sense that you have a bunch of contained 3D levels that you get to from the overworld I think it could be cool.  

So you mean, open world like Super Mario 64 :)

Sorry all, just noticed I forgot the release date! I'll add it to the original post, and for the record it's the holiday season of 2017.

11 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

During the Switch presentation, a new Super Mario game was revealed... Super Mario Odyssey. During the presentation, it was called the first open world Mario game since Sunshine - Galaxy was not mentioned, which might be because the environments were smaller than 64/Sunshine.

Personally, an open world Mario game was all I was hoping for in the presentation. Knowing there's also a new Zelda, and counting on Kart/Party/Smash, I have enough now to know for sure that I'll get a Switch.

What's your opinion on the new Mario game? Glad they're leaving the "New" series behind, or at least that there's an open world Mario again? Or would you rather have seen a Galaxy 3?

P.S. I just watched the trailer again now I'm a bit more awake. I already noticed the "New Donk City" pun but I now see that Diddy and Dixie also get namedropped ("Diddy's Mart" and "Dixy Street", the latter one both in Diddy's Mart advert as well as a street sign)... Could it be that there's also a new Donkey Kong game in the works?

Or it probably wasn't mentioned because two games got the point across. I shouldn't be focusing on that one line you said, but Sonic Team did the same with PS17 by only mentioning Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, leaving out Unleashed even though it's the game that debuted with the formula being used for PS17 and has similar themes to PS17 from what we know so far. There are other examples (like developers being called out by only a select few of their games [Thatgamecompany: Journey and Flower mostly, no Flow, Naughty Dog: Uncharted and TLOU, no Jak or Crash {though it was Crash before TLOU existed -_-}], but listing every single game or franchise as a reference to something like this doesn't tend to happen).

But why, when the Mario series doesn't really utilize the open-world that well (though didn't finish Galaxy or beat Galaxy 2 - so I only think I possibly know what im talking about)? It's mostly just a large 3D space you get to fool around, pretty much what @soniq said. However, I did/do love Sunshine. (Didn't play 64, but plan to get NDS64 soon.)

Look's decently good. Is it me or does the physics not look as good as Sunshine's though? Again, thoughtfully, I think it's been like this ever since the Wii... where Mario has been made to feel more floaty in games, at least the 3D ones, to keep context. Leaving the New series behind? I don't think this kind of comment should exist under the tied implication. We don't know if they're leaving it behind (most of Nintendo's systems launch games have been from the Super series in general). However, I am glad that we're getting another "openworld" super game, as opposed to super 3d/2d linear game. Galaxy 3 I can't say much about, but I think it can wait a little longer, if it even needs a sequel, before coming out.

3 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

Visually this game looks awesome.  It is a little jarring seeing Mario next to more 'realistic' human characters, but I will have to wait and see what they do with it.  As for the game itself, I will hold out any excitement for it until I know what you actually do.  If it is open world like Spyro, in the sense that you have a bunch of contained 3D levels that you get to from the overworld I think it could be cool.  If it is just one big open world, I am worried that they will fall into the Quantity of Quality issue and just fill the map with the same quest repeated over and over, or hundreds of collectables.

I am cautiously optimistic.

36 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

The 3D and the New series in Mario were much too linear in my taste. Not having an open world Mario game or even a Zelda is wat kept me from getting the WiiU. I did like 3D Land on the 3DS though and I'll probably get World if it comes to the Switch.

So you mean, open world like Super Mario 64 :)

Sorry all, just noticed I forgot the release date! I'll add it to the original post, and for the record it's the holiday season of 2017.

@Sir_Bee Like the Jak series :3

@BillyHorrible And Sunshine DAMMIT (it needs to and should be included in that line)!

Edited by Mar