Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) revealed

Oobedoob S Benubi

36 minutes ago, Mar said:

Or it probably wasn't mentioned because two games got the point across. I shouldn't be focusing on that one line you said, but Sonic Team did the same with PS17 by only mentioning Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, leaving out Unleashed even though it's the game that debuted with the formula being used for PS17 and has similar themes to PS17 from what we know so far. There are other examples (like developers being called out by only a select few of their games [Thatgamecompany: Journey and Flower mostly, no Flow, Naughty Dog: Uncharted and TLOU, no Jak or Crash {though it was Crash before TLOU existed -_-}], but listing every single game or franchise as a reference to something like this doesn't tend to happen).

But why, when the Mario series doesn't really utilize the open-world that well (though didn't finish Galaxy or beat Galaxy 2 - so I only think I possibly know what im talking about)? It's mostly just a large 3D space you get to fool around, pretty much what @soniq said. However, I did/do love Sunshine. (Didn't play 64, but plan to get NDS64 soon.)

Look's decently good. Is it me or does the physics not look as good as Sunshine's though? Again, thoughtfully, I think it's been like this ever since the Wii... where Mario has been made to feel more floaty in games, at least the 3D ones, to keep context. Leaving the New series behind? I don't think this kind of comment should exist under the tied implication. We don't know if they're leaving it behind (most of Nintendo's systems launch games have been from the Super series in general). However, I am glad that we're getting another "openworld" super game, as opposed to super 3d/2d linear game. Galaxy 3 I can't say much about, but I think it can wait a little longer, if it even needs a sequel, before coming out.

@Sir_Bee Like the Jak series :3

@BillyHorrible And Sunshine DAMMIT (it needs to and should be included in that line)!

Wow you're getting a lot of mileage out of a single one of my lines!

Also sorry but Galaxy was definitely a different kind of game than 64/Sunshine. Galaxy does not have open worlds, they're 3D but very linear, unlike 64/Sunshine which had very open levels with a few differences depending on what star you were trying to go for. Also with the risk of starting a big argument, it's obvious you haven't played 64 because it's vastly superior to Sunshine :) and yeah I think Odyssey's physics look much better than Sunshine's.

I'm not stating they're definitely leaving the "New" series behind (read the line directly afterwards).

On that last line: I was not trying to make a full list of any kind, my point was that Super Mario 64 codified this type of 3D platform gaming and Spyro started two years later. Sunshine was made four years after the first Spyro, thus does not fit the point that I was making.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

The 3D and the New series in Mario were much too linear in my taste. Not having an open world Mario game or even a Zelda is wat kept me from getting the WiiU. I did like 3D Land on the 3DS though and I'll probably get World if it comes to the Switch.

I probably should have been more clear. I only had a NES growing up. My next home console was the Wii (I mostly played on PC in between). I played SNES games at a friend's house, but I never had any friends with a N64 or Gamecube. For me, Mario was always a 2D franchise. I loved the New series because it was a great follow-up to SMB1-3 and Super Mario World. 3D Land and World were great because they were "2D like" while featuring pretty 3D graphics. Also, 3D World lets you play as Peach again, it's worth buying for that alone! :)

It wasn't until the past 5 years that I started getting into 3D platformers, and when I did it was mostly non-Nintendo games. When I did finally try Mario 64 and Sunshine years later, I found them fun but not as compelling as the 2D classics I grew up with. I still haven't finished Sunshine, actually. 

Also, in my opinion the Wii U was worth it for gems like Pikmin 3, LEGO City Undercover, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Super Mario Maker. There, that's 5 great games (I love the first 2 to death; I hope Switch gets Pikmin 4 and I'll be replaying LEGO City Undercover on PS4) and I did it without trotting out the typical "Wii U Defender list" of Smash Bros and Mario Kart... personally I don't like fighting games and Mario Kart is only fun when I used to play it with friends. 

Anyway, Odyssey looks good to me. I think Nintendo should have made it a launch game though. They don't have enough launch titles. Like the Wii U, I may get this a few months after release. I love the concept since I spend a lot of time playing portable games, but I won't have much to play for a while. I'm one of those odd fans who never got into Zelda (despite trying to finish several of the games in the series) but even if I was, that's the only big launch title. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I probably should have been more clear. I only had a NES growing up. My next home console was the Wii (I mostly played on PC in between). I played SNES games at a friend's house, but I never had any friends with a N64 or Gamecube. For me, Mario was always a 2D franchise. I loved the New series because it was a great follow-up to SMB1-3 and Super Mario World. 3D Land and World were great because they were "2D like" while featuring pretty 3D graphics. Also, 3D World lets you play as Peach again, it's worth buying for that alone! :)

It wasn't until the past 5 years that I started getting into 3D platformers, and when I did it was mostly non-Nintendo games. When I did finally try Mario 64 and Sunshine years later, I found them fun but not as compelling as the 2D classics I grew up with. I still haven't finished Sunshine, actually. 

Also, in my opinion the Wii U was worth it for gems like Pikmin 3, LEGO City Undercover, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, and Super Mario Maker. There, that's 5 great games (I love the first 2 to death; I hope Switch gets Pikmin 4 and I'll be replaying LEGO City Undercover on PS4) and I did it without trotting out the typical "Wii U Defender list" of Smash Bros and Mario Kart... personally I don't like fighting games and Mario Kart is only fun when I used to play it with friends. 

Anyway, Odyssey looks good to me. I think Nintendo should have made it a launch game though. They don't have enough launch titles. Like the Wii U, I may get this a few months after release. I love the concept since I spend a lot of time playing portable games, but I won't have much to play for a while. I'm one of those odd fans who never got into Zelda (despite trying to finish several of the games in the series) but even if I was, that's the only big launch title. 

Elaboration is always good :)

Personally I played the NES at other people's houses and I got everything from the SNES to the Wii, the WiiU was the first Nintendo console that did not appeal to me and it seems now that I'll definitely get the Switch and the WiiU was a streak breaker.

I always loved the Mario games, the main line at least (no fan of the "New", "Maker", or any RPG after the SNES one). I can get that you haven't gotten through Sunshine (I barely liked it and I played it when it was new), and I still love 64 but I can understand that to someone who was not part of the initial audience, now it just looks dated.

I'd never use Smash/Kart/Party as an excuse to buy a Nintendo console but I do enjoy them once I buy such a console and I know at least one person myself who bought a WiiU just for Smash. Myself, I'm going to need an appealing Mario game, and if possible also a Zelda, F-Zero and Star Fox but the Mario game will be the the one on which it all depends for me.

I really like Zelda though I've only played through Ocarina Of Time, Wind Waker, Twillight Princess and Spirit Tracks. Definitely playing Breath at some point though it alone might not be enough for me to buy the console day one, but we'll see what else will arrive by that time.

23 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I always loved the Mario games, the main line at least (no fan of the "New", "Maker", or any RPG after the SNES one). I can get that you haven't gotten through Sunshine (I barely liked it and I played it when it was new), and I still love 64 but I can understand that to someone who was not part of the initial audience, now it just looks dated.

I know it's a portable franchise, but does this mean you don't like the critically-acclaimed Mario & Luigi series? Asks someone who hasn't finished any of them yet... :P And what about Paper Mario, it seems like everybody loved them? 

Honestly I've always preferred 2D platformers. I can't think of any "true" 3D platformers that I loved, where the platforming was the main feature. I love games like Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank, but those aren't primarily platformers in my opinion. Still, maybe Odyssey will be the 3D platformer that gets me to appreciate the genre. 

I agree about Smash and Kart being used to justify a Nintendo console purchase, but every single "best games for the system" type of list for the Wii U puts them at or near the top. They don't even register on my own list, the Wii U had plenty of good games without them. :)

26 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I know it's a portable franchise, but does this mean you don't like the critically-acclaimed Mario & Luigi series? Asks someone who hasn't finished any of them yet... :P And what about Paper Mario, it seems like everybody loved them? 

Honestly I've always preferred 2D platformers. I can't think of any "true" 3D platformers that I loved, where the platforming was the main feature. I love games like Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank, but those aren't primarily platformers in my opinion. Still, maybe Odyssey will be the 3D platformer that gets me to appreciate the genre. 

I agree about Smash and Kart being used to justify a Nintendo console purchase, but every single "best games for the system" type of list for the Wii U puts them at or near the top. They don't even register on my own list, the Wii U had plenty of good games without them. :)

Never played any M&L... As for Paper Mario, that's part of the RPG series and the SNES one (Legend Of The Seven Stars) was amazing, every change they made with later games was a step in the wrong direction in my eyes.

I love both 2D and 3D platforming, though there are more 2D games I love. 3D examples: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Super Mario 3D Land (kind of), Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jak And Daxter 1, Portal 1&2... Some of those are more adventure games but still. I think that might actually be a point I've stumbled upon; platforming kind of transitioned into an adventure-platforming blend, or platforming with a twist like Portal or Magrunner.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Wow you're getting a lot of mileage out of a single one of my lines!

Also sorry but Galaxy was definitely a different kind of game than 64/Sunshine. Galaxy does not have open worlds, they're 3D but very linear, unlike 64/Sunshine which had very open levels with a few differences depending on what star you were trying to go for. Also with the risk of starting a big argument, it's obvious you haven't played 64 because it's vastly superior to Sunshine :) and yeah I think Odyssey's physics look much better than Sunshine's.

I'm not stating they're definitely leaving the "New" series behind (read the line directly afterwards).

On that last line: I was not trying to make a full list of any kind, my point was that Super Mario 64 codified this type of 3D platform gaming and Spyro started two years later. Sunshine was made four years after the first Spyro, thus does not fit the point that I was making.

Vastly superior is probably an exaggeration, especially given Sunshine's praise. Going to drop the physic argument, especially since I was singling out one particular move animation, which I think was better in Sunshine.

Fun fact: Jak and Daxter then mastered this type of 3D platform gaming :]

You kind of did. The line after that is just an additional question. "Glad theyre leaving the series behind" is a bold statement.

Literally all of that is irrelevant. The point/subject was simply "open world game" (to the guy you replied to), which Sunshine fits the context of precisely: "openworld like SM64?" ("point"). Ss is also openworld. Your structured comment ("point"), especially without emphasis, implies you dont believe Sunshine to be an openworld. The quality, design, popularity, reception of SM64 and whatever else is completely irrelevant.

Edited by Mar

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Never played any M&L... As for Paper Mario, that's part of the RPG series and the SNES one (Legend Of The Seven Stars) was amazing, every change they made with later games was a step in the wrong direction in my eyes.

I love both 2D and 3D platforming, though there are more 2D games I love. 3D examples: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Super Mario 3D Land (kind of), Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jak And Daxter 1, Portal 1&2... Some of those are more adventure games but still. I think that might actually be a point I've stumbled upon; platforming kind of transitioned into an adventure-platforming blend, or platforming with a twist like Portal or Magrunner.

Whoops, I lost my original reply and then my final reply wasn't complete. I meant to say the first 2 Paper Marios (N64 and Gamecube) were universally loved. I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention not liking those two until now. It seems like the criticism didn't start until the Wii/3DS/WiiU editions of the series. 

I think you're right about adventure-platforming. I love Portal 1 & 2 and I hope Valve someday makes a third one. We got a nice reminder of the greatness of Portal with LEGO Dimensions I thought. 

I think I have most of those N64 games (and I believe Donkey Kong 64 on Wii or Wii U) in the Rare Reply game for Xbox One, and I've been meaning to try Jak and Daxter on PS3... hmm. Yet again I have tons of games I don't have time to play. :)

34 minutes ago, Mar said:

Vastly superior is probably an exaggeration, especially given Sunshine's praise. Going to drop the physic argument, especially since I was singling out one particular move animation, which I think was better in Sunshine.

Fun fact: Jak and Daxter then mastered this type of 3D platform gaming :]

You kind of did. The line after that is just an additional question. "Glad theyre leaving the series behind" is a bold statement.

Literally all of that is irrelevant. The point/subject was simply "open world game" (to the guy you replied to), which Sunshine fits the context of precisely: "openworld like SM64?" ("point"). Ss is also openworld. Your structured comment ("point"), especially without emphasis, implies you dont believe Sunshine to be an openworld. The quality, design, popularity, reception of SM64 and whatever else is completely irrelevant.

I feel like 64 is vastly superior to Sunshine and that is not an overstatement.

"Glad" is not a bold statement, start reading the full text instead of what you want to see. Here's what I wrote:

What's your opinion on the new Mario game? Glad they're leaving the "New" series behind, or at least that there's an open world Mario again? Or would you rather have seen a Galaxy 3?

As you should be able to see, it's an invitation to write your opinion. "Leaving behind" is directly followed by "OR AT LEAST that there's an open world Mario", and that is followed by a request for Galaxy 3. These are not necessarily my opinions, I much prefer the news of Odyssey over a potential Galaxy 3.

Seriously, who taught you how to interpret and argue? "LITERALLY all of that is irrelevant"? Keep Sunshine away from the discussion other people were having without you! The other user asked for an open world "like" Spyro, while I merely noted that Spyro itself was "like" Super Mario 64, which is older than Spyro. The point is that Mario is going back to the same roots that Spyro sprouted from and Sunshine, a game created way after the first Spyro, has nothing to do with it. Stop misinterpreting me so you can make your arguments and please stop going into discussions with me until you stop misinterpreting. It's annoying and useless.

10 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Whoops, I lost my original reply and then my final reply wasn't complete. I meant to say the first 2 Paper Marios (N64 and Gamecube) were universally loved. I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention not liking those two until now. It seems like the criticism didn't start until the Wii/3DS/WiiU editions of the series. 

I think you're right about adventure-platforming. I love Portal 1 & 2 and I hope Valve someday makes a third one. We got a nice reminder of the greatness of Portal with LEGO Dimensions I thought. 

I think I have most of those N64 games (and I believe Donkey Kong 64 on Wii or Wii U) in the Rare Reply game for Xbox One, and I've been meaning to try Jak and Daxter on PS3... hmm. Yet again I have tons of games I don't have time to play. :)

Yeah many people seem to love the PaperMario series, I just see a lesser cousin of Seven Stars sadly. I wanted to like the Paper games and tried several but I did not enjoy any enough to finish them. :(

Yeah the Portal levels in Dimensions were fun!

Jet Force Gemini is on Rare Replay as well, great game but like Donkey Kong 64 a bit tough on collectables. Jak1 is certainly a cool game, the other two are decent. There are those who think either 2 or 3 is the best though but I prefer 1.

I know, backlogs "amirite"? I try to keep it down these days, it's working... Mostly.

On 1/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, BillyHorrible said:

I feel like 64 is vastly superior to Sunshine and that is not an overstatement.

Seriously, who taught you how to interpret and argue? "LITERALLY all of that is irrelevant"? Keep Sunshine away from the discussion other people were having without you! The other user asked for an open world "like" Spyro, while I merely noted that Spyro itself was "like" Super Mario 64, which is older than Spyro. The point is that Mario is going back to the same roots that Spyro sprouted from and Sunshine, a game created way after the first Spyro, has nothing to do with it. Stop misinterpreting me so you can make your arguments and please stop going into discussions with me until you stop misinterpreting. 

Jak1 is certainly a cool game, the other two are decent. There are those who think either 2 or 3 is the best though but I prefer 1.

You can be delusional all you want but that was NEVER the topic. Thr topic was acknowledgement of SS being an openworld game, not how its IYO a weaker OWG than SM64.

Very ironic post, my previous reply stands, and I quoted your broad and narrow post. SS is openworld to and it should have been listed when you said what you did, OTHERWISE, Nintendo should have only mentioned SM64 when SMO was shown, since SS is irrelevant (right?). Take your own advice.

What to take about overstatements and understatements, ha. That Jak post is the epitome of understatements. Jak 1 is a GREAT game, especially since it nails its concepts without flaws or major flaws, unlike the sequels. The sequels created issues, but still did enough innovation and improvements to be legitimate better games: much better combat, AI, gameplay variety and depth, driving controls (leaving out the buggies for consistency argunent sake), story, music, character depth (stronger character, more backstory, bigger role, I can seriously go on here), Daxter (sidekick) actually had relevance, much better graphics especially, real and better cinematics, REAL side missions, a more content-atomosphere and world, that large character cast, better and more boss battles, a technically better main hub world, a new game plus mode, much more replayvalue [mostly because Secrets, Combat Racing elements, multi side missions, NG+, bigger world to explore, etc] and I can go on. And necessarily, not more fun games mean theyre the better games, such as Jak 1.

Edited by Mar

On 1/13/2017 at 4:26 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah many people seem to love the PaperMario series, I just see a lesser cousin of Seven Stars sadly. I wanted to like the Paper games and tried several but I did not enjoy any enough to finish them. :(

Yeah the Portal levels in Dimensions were fun!

Jet Force Gemini is on Rare Replay as well, great game but like Donkey Kong 64 a bit tough on collectables. Jak1 is certainly a cool game, the other two are decent. There are those who think either 2 or 3 is the best though but I prefer 1.

I know, backlogs "amirite"? I try to keep it down these days, it's working... Mostly.

I have all of the Paper Mario games, as well as Seven Stars, in my backlog. I have started several of them but not finished any except the 3DS one that everyone seemed to hate the most. I actually liked it but it was very different from what I played of the earlier games. 

Obviously as my statement above about Paper Mario shows, my backlog these days is not doing very well, since I still have several SNES games on it, not to mention all the generations in between, up to and including the current one... this is what happens when you get married and have kids. :P I probably should have been much less ambitious to begin with, instead of building up libraries (that I could never hope to complete) for each console I have bought (although I haven't let my XBox One library get too big, but with Backwards Compatibility it's getting bigger). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I have all of the Paper Mario games, as well as Seven Stars, in my backlog. I have started several of them but not finished any except the 3DS one that everyone seemed to hate the most. I actually liked it but it was very different from what I played of the earlier games. 

Obviously as my statement above about Paper Mario shows, my backlog these days is not doing very well, since I still have several SNES games on it, not to mention all the generations in between, up to and including the current one... this is what happens when you get married and have kids. :P I probably should have been much less ambitious to begin with, instead of building up libraries (that I could never hope to complete) for each console I have bought (although I haven't let my XBox One library get too big, but with Backwards Compatibility it's getting bigger). 

Seven Stars was amazing, you should give it a go some time. Best turn based rpg ever and I don't even like that type of game usually!

Well I don't have kids but I am married, I have a full-time job and a hunting dog that needs to walk often and long :D

I'm taking game time where I can, personally. When I went from Nintendo consoles to the X360 is where it really exploded, I had such a large backlog of stupid games from sales that I did not even have fun gaming any more. When switching to PlayStation for the new generation, I made sure to not let my backlog get out of control, I wanted to have ten unfinished games at the most (not counting PS+). It's not always easy but at least it's still not the 130+ paid backlog which I had on the X360. You can see here how that's going:

I actually decided I wanted to play some old non-trophy games again and I dusted off my SNES last year. Started an event back then, and tweaked it for this year. If you want to get through your old games, you should consider joining :) it's a low maintenance thing, just one game per month and there's no limit on how short the games should be so Metal Slug, the SNES Aladdin and the GB Kirby's Dream Land are all allowed.

I am actually hoping the Switch willget some awesome games in the Virtual Console to play in this or future events. Seven Stars was never available for PAL but it is on the WiiU PAL Virtual Console so I'm hoping for that one. My N64 hasn't worked in years so I'm hoping for Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64 as well.

And yes, I would actually play those last two games in preparation for Odyssey :D I also would not mind playing Ocarina Of Time again, though not per se in preparation for Breath Of The Wild.

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I am actually hoping the Switch willget some awesome games in the Virtual Console to play in this or future events. Seven Stars was never available for PAL but it is on the WiiU PAL Virtual Console so I'm hoping for that one. My N64 hasn't worked in years so I'm hoping for Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario 64 as well.

And yes, I would actually play those last two games in preparation for Odyssey :D I also would not mind playing Ocarina Of Time again, though not per se in preparation for Breath Of The Wild.

I got Seven Stars on Wii Virtual Console and then upgraded to the Wii U VC version for $1 or whatever cheap upgrade cost it was. I know I started one of them (either Wii or Wii U version) a while back but life (actually probably other games) got in the way and I haven't gone back to it. I obviously need to do so. The combat in the Mario & Luigi games is very similar and I have played some of them long enough to know I enjoy the gameplay, I just didn't stick with Seven Stars for some reason. 

Congrats on working on your backlog. I should probably take a "shaming" picture of my gaming shelf that is almost full of games I've never played (I always open them though, to pop the disc in and make sure it works, even though I've NEVER had a bad disc... some habits are weird). And then there is the probably hundreds of digital games between Wii, Wii U, PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, and Xbox One. Ugh, it gives me a headache just to think about it. 

NA Wii U VC has Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64 also. I think I have both of them, plus the DS version of Mario 64. I got to the last Bowser fight in the DS version but I can't remember if I actually beat him or not. :)

I agree about the Switch and its Virtual Console. I've been saying since it was announced that Nintendo really needs to fill out the Virtual Console library quickly. Now it's even more true, since its launch titles are slim. It would be even more awesome if Nintendo ported savegames from Wii U and 3DS VC games to Switch, but if I was holding my breath on that, I suspect I would be dead pretty quickly. :P

This game should have been called Super Mario Galaxy 3 because the gameplay looks very similar to the other installments. For ex in Odyssey he uses a ship to travel to other hub worlds. In SMG 2 he used a Mario face shaped ship to travel to different galaxies. The graphics also look similar to each other except Switch has better graphics(of course). 

6 hours ago, marvelboy10 said:

This game should have been called Super Mario Galaxy 3 because the gameplay looks very similar to the other installments. For ex in Odyssey he uses a ship to travel to other hub worlds. In SMG 2 he used a Mario face shaped ship to travel to different galaxies. The graphics also look similar to each other except Switch has better graphics(of course). 

Agreed on the graphics and spaceship (Galaxy 1 had one as well by the way) but Galaxies were all about (mostly small) planets to shoot to and from while Odyssey just has the open (flat) worlds from Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

In that regard I'd compare the Galaxy games to Assassin's Creed Black Flag - Rogue, where the series focused on sailing etc for a little while before continuing with games that are again more like their earlier work. (Though somehow I'm guessing that contrast to Unity/Syndicate, most people won't dismiss Odyssey as just "more of the same").

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I got Seven Stars on Wii Virtual Console and then upgraded to the Wii U VC version for $1 or whatever cheap upgrade cost it was. I know I started one of them (either Wii or Wii U version) a while back but life (actually probably other games) got in the way and I haven't gone back to it. I obviously need to do so. The combat in the Mario & Luigi games is very similar and I have played some of them long enough to know I enjoy the gameplay, I just didn't stick with Seven Stars for some reason. 

Congrats on working on your backlog. I should probably take a "shaming" picture of my gaming shelf that is almost full of games I've never played (I always open them though, to pop the disc in and make sure it works, even though I've NEVER had a bad disc... some habits are weird). And then there is the probably hundreds of digital games between Wii, Wii U, PS3, PS4, Vita, 3DS, and Xbox One. Ugh, it gives me a headache just to think about it. 

NA Wii U VC has Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64 also. I think I have both of them, plus the DS version of Mario 64. I got to the last Bowser fight in the DS version but I can't remember if I actually beat him or not. :)

I agree about the Switch and its Virtual Console. I've been saying since it was announced that Nintendo really needs to fill out the Virtual Console library quickly. Now it's even more true, since its launch titles are slim. It would be even more awesome if Nintendo ported savegames from Wii U and 3DS VC games to Switch, but if I was holding my breath on that, I suspect I would be dead pretty quickly. :P

For the record, the Golden Oldies allows emulated games.

Just try to not buy a new game before you played through three backlog games :) it could also help to make a backlog list (thread?) To have an overview and to be able to check somewhere what you'd want to play next. Personally when my X360 backlog started getting out of control, I sold a bunch of disc games I had not even played yet. Now on PS4, I tend to sell/trade my disc games as soon as I have played through them, Assassin's Creed is the main exception to the rule.

I'm hoping the Game Cube is old snough now that it will get added to the Virtual Console, of course the Wii could just play the discs (don't know if the WiiU could do that though).

Edited by BillyHorrible

Goals (before I get SMO):

- Finish SM 3D World (only havent cause trophy priority)

- Purchase and beat SM64 (DS) (since its stated to be the superior overall version)

Galaxy series can wait? Though Ill have to play it eventually to have fair comparison opinions.

Edited by Mar

6 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

For the record, the Golden Oldies allows emulated games.

Just try to not buy a new game before you played through three backlog games :) it could also help to make a backlog list (thread?) To have an overview and to be able to check somewhere what you'd want to play next. Personally when my X360 backlog started getting out of control, I sold a bunch of disc games I had not even played yet. Now on PS4, I tend to sell/trade my disc games as soon as I have played through them, Assassin's Creed is the main exception to the rule.

I'm hoping the Game Cube is old snough now that it will get added to the Virtual Console, of course the Wii could just play the discs (don't know if the WiiU could do that though).

That isn't a bad idea for whittling down a backlog. Great PSN and Best Buy sales are just too good for me to pass up, but I really should start doing something about my backlog. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Nintendo said they would put Gamecube games on Wii U but they never did apart from HD remasters. The Wii U couldn't officially play Gamecube games but there might possibly be OTHER ways that it worked... :ninja:

6 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That isn't a bad idea for whittling down a backlog. Great PSN and Best Buy sales are just too good for me to pass up, but I really should start doing something about my backlog. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Nintendo said they would put Gamecube games on Wii U but they never did apart from HD remasters. The Wii U couldn't officially play Gamecube games but there might possibly be OTHER ways that it worked... :ninja:

You're welcome :) And yeah sales were my kryptonite back with the X360. There's a January sale going on here on PSN now, I already bought Metal Slug Anthology and Psychonauts but I am still in heavy arguments with myself about whether or not to buy the ICO / Colossus combo for €7. It's such a low price for the two and I have never played them but still... Aaaargh!

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I have little to no doubt that at least Super Mario 64 should be playable on the Switch at least two weeks before Odyssey is released, I care more about playing that one again than I care about Donkey Kong 64. And I have a working SNES here so non-PALs like Seven Stars are the only interesting titles on those lists for me. But like you said before, with a small line-up of new games the Switch really needs a banging VC list if it wants to get many non-Zelda players soon. And even Zelda players since people with a WiiU can get it for that console at the same time, not like with Twillight Princess where GC owners had to wait for a while. I know, Twillight Princess for GC was the first ever pre-order for me.

I just hope Super Mario Switch Party will get announced soon and that you only need a half controller for it. With Odyssey announced I know I will get a Switch eventually, but if Party like Kart arrives soon then I might just get it early after all. I made a pre-order for one just in case, since the story I swear by has had open pre-orders since the original announcement I don't know if a first day console would be available for me though.

19 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Sure that they officially mentioned that they would bring GameCube-games to the Wii U Virtual Console? The only thing I found was a statement from 2012 where Reggie said that he would love to see those games on the Wii U but AFAIK there was never an official confirmation.

And I tried that other method once to play one of the GameCube-games I had without the need of attaching the GameCube to my TV (as the analog input looks horrible) and it was anything but enjoyable due to many graphical glitches.

4 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Sure that they officially mentioned that they would bring GameCube-games to the Wii U Virtual Console? The only thing I found was a statement from 2012 where Reggie said that he would love to see those games on the Wii U but AFAIK there was never an official confirmation.

And I tried that other method once to play one of the GameCube-games I had without the need of attaching the GameCube to my TV (as the analog input looks horrible) and it was anything but enjoyable due to many graphical glitches.

That's probably the statement I was thinking of. I guess it wasn't an official confirmation, just an assumption on the part of fans. Kind of like how we expected the 3DS to get GBA games besides the initial set that Ambassadors got, but instead Nintendo released them for Wii U (because everyone wants to play portable games on a regular console). 

I didn't notice any graphical glitches myself, but I never had a Gamecube to compare with. The games I did play were mostly ones that I only played briefly (or not at all) on Wii. In most cases I was playing games I had never played before. I was actually amazed at how good the performance was considering my experience trying to emulate N64 games on PC back in the day (it might be better now, but back then performance was horrible). I don't know how this system works, but it looked to me like it was almost the same as playing Gamecube games on Wii. 

7 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That's probably the statement I was thinking of. I guess it wasn't an official confirmation, just an assumption on the part of fans. Kind of like how we expected the 3DS to get GBA games besides the initial set that Ambassadors got, but instead Nintendo released them for Wii U (because everyone wants to play portable games on a regular console). 

This was a move I never understood. My guess is that they had to do this to have at least some software output for the console. Just yesterday I clicked myself through the eShop and I was quite surprised on how empty it feels. :|

16 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I didn't notice any graphical glitches myself, but I never had a Gamecube to compare with. The games I did play were mostly ones that I only played briefly (or not at all) on Wii. In most cases I was playing games I had never played before. I was actually amazed at how good the performance was considering my experience trying to emulate N64 games on PC back in the day (it might be better now, but back then performance was horrible). I don't know how this system works, but it looked to me like it was almost the same as playing Gamecube games on Wii. 

The one game I tried was Paper Mario and it had some nasty clipping errors and some textures didn't load properly. But it was more for testing purposes and it wasn't a thing I was really longing for.

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

my experience trying to emulate N64 games on PC back in the day (it might be better now, but back then performance was horrible)

I have a SNES emulator for all those games I could never buy in the PAL region which works amazing (especially since I bought a SNES USB controller). No such luck with the N64... Tried some N64 emulators a year or two, three ago when I bought the SNES USB controller to see if it was worth it to buy an N64 USB controller as well but my screen was still behaving like it had epilepsy.

17 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Kind of like how we expected the 3DS to get GBA games besides the initial set that Ambassadors got, but instead Nintendo released them for Wii U (because everyone wants to play portable games on a regular console).

16 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

This was a move I never understood. My guess is that they had to do this to have at least some software output for the console. Just yesterday I clicked myself through the eShop and I was quite surprised on how empty it feels. :|

I still think it's annoying I never saw GBA games on the 3DS, that might have made me play more. Well, at least I got 3D Land for free because I bought and registered a 3DS at the right time. That might actually be the only game I ever fully played through on the damn thing...

Looking through the Virtual Console PAL lists and I'm hopeful. Assuming all WiiU N64 roms come to Switch, I would buy Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, Ocarina Of Time, Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64), Yoshi's Story, Pokémon Snap and F-Zero X. Perhaps I would even buy Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2. I owned all of these for the actual N64 at some point except for Yoshi's Story, which I played at a friend and was never really interested in since it was so different from the one on the SNES (though it should be clear from being included in the list above, that I'm ready to give it another chance).

In other news, I'm probably going to sell my Wii now that I'll eventually get the Switch. Thinking a lot about playing through Galaxy 2 once more before I get rid of the thing. I 100% played through Galaxy 1 but I never got around to finishing Galaxy 2. I'd start with a fresh save though if I would try to go for 100% now.

21 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

In other news, I'm probably going to sell my Wii now that I'll eventually get the Switch. Thinking a lot about playing through Galaxy 2 once more before I get rid of the thing. I 100% played through Galaxy 1 but I never got around to finishing Galaxy 2. I'd start with a fresh save though if I would try to go for 100% now.

Good luck with that. I made the mistake and played Galaxy 2 before Galaxy 1 so I found the first game less enjoyable than the second one, although I really loved the spaceship and that story of Rosalina in the first game. Both games are IMO some great platformers, even if the exploration is rather limited. And getting the 100% in SMG2 was really frustrating for me due to the last level (even with a second player).

52 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Good luck with that. I made the mistake and played Galaxy 2 before Galaxy 1 so I found the first game less enjoyable than the second one, although I really loved the spaceship and that story of Rosalina in the first game. Both games are IMO some great platformers, even if the exploration is rather limited. And getting the 100% in SMG2 was really frustrating for me due to the last level (even with a second player).

Thanks. Yeah they definitely stepped it up for the second one (I do hope that we see Yoshi as a riding compagnion again in Odyssey, for one). I did mind a bit that it was not as freeroam as Super Mario 64 was (which is why I'm glad Odyssey returns with open levels) but on the whole the Galaxy games were awesome.

17 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

The city looks like Sunset Overdrive with Mario and a touch of Sonic adventure, bouncing cars and umbrellas included. With that said, I'm way more of a 64 and sunshine fan than Galaxy, Not a system seller for me but I am curious.

Personally I liked Galaxy a lot more than Sunshine (though less than 64). A lot of things just rubbed me the wrong way. Decided to spoilerise it though because it's not a necessary discussion for this thread, so feel free to ignore it, it's just how I feel.

Spoiler

The game was already more linear than Super Mario 64 (though Galaxy was more linear, but it not being a normal map any more helped), plot was needlessly convoluted, I did not like either the town's inhabitants or FLUDD (STOP HELPING ME), and Bowser went from an awesome villain to a bathtub dad, with Bowser Junior seeing Peach as his mommy. Those last three points are exacerbated by (in my opinion) awful voice acting. I don't even like Bowser Junior at all, in my eyes he's completely unnecessary since we already have the Koopalings (which were annoying in their own right to others, but never to me). Honestly, I can only remember a few things about the game (the plane and news item at the start, a big bird flying in a sand level, and the Bowser Jr " mommy" stuff while Bowser has a " family vacation") but it did not stick with me like other games do, it just was not interesting to me at all and I struggled to keep playing it until the end.

The only thing that worries me about Odyssey is that it's still not Koopa/Mushroom Kingdom (meaning lack of a few iconic parts of the classic series) though the inclusion of a classic pipe, Koopa, Spiny, Bullet Bill, Piranha Plant and what seems like a Super Mario 64 era boss level, it looks like Odsyssey is going to be a nice blend of old and new.

Since we have some gaming preferences in common, I'm curoius: what would make you buy a Switch?

• Like 1

Sunshine really grew on me even though I didn't like it that much when it was first released. Now when Galaxy came out I went right back to Sunshine (Played on the Wii) and put allot more time into it, it was a blast this time around. Mario is no system seller for me though if and when I buy a switch, this game will be one of the first I play.

• Like 1