Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) revealed

Oobedoob S Benubi

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

I had to laugh at this. Nintendo were actually the first who (re-?)introduced those half-assed upgrades like the PS4 Pro or Xbox One Scorpio with their New 3DS, which has a much better CPU and larger RAM and on top of that has a few exclusive games that aren't compatible with the old 3DS or the 2DS.

Yeah. It feels more smooth to play with, and some games are using better textures on New3DS.

But Nintendo had hardwareupgrades even before. There was this memory pack for N64, iirc.

Here, about the Wii and it's GameCube compatiblity. @BillyHorrible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Other_models

However, I meant before, that I'm happy with my PS3SS (~80Watts)...It needs ~110Watts less than a PS3FL (~190Watts), doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, and isn't heating the appartment. Ah, and it has no stupid glossy color... -.- (Watts are here "theoretical maximum")

What are the downsides? It has no Linux support (Fat Lady had until firmware v3.15) and isn't natively able to play PS2 discs (november2006 modell - CECHAXX, CECHBXX - had an integrated PS2, and CECHCXX and CECHEXX from March/August 2007 had software emulation)... oh wow... I don't care. :) 

While on Nintendos side... well, dunno, I would say in Nintendos case is backwardscompatiblity way more important. And, the third Wii even lost its internet connectivity... Also I can't recall that Nintendo "needed" to shrink their stuff for more efficiency.  The Wii U does consume like 35Watts while running Assassins Creed IV, while the first PS4 needed ~140Watts. (Watts are here "actual usage")

Shigeru Miyamoto apparently revealed that Odyssey will be more of a game for "core" gamers, like Super Mario 64 was. Galaxy adn 3D World are mentioned as being for a broader audience while Maker and Run are flat-out stated as being "casual".

I think this game being less casual and more for the core group is a good thing.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-mario-odyssey-is-on-the-core-side-like-super/1100-6446935/

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/13/miyamoto-offers-a-few-new-super-mario-odyssey-details

"So we've been making Mario games for over 30 years, and through that process, we've made changes to the games. Some games tended to be a little bit harder, and a little bit harder to play, and then so we teeter back to make it accessible to all kinds of gamers, and then we go back the other way," Miyamoto explained. "It's been kind of a give and take in that way."

Some of the Mario games that followed the Galaxy series, including Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Run, were "casual games" in a way, Miyamoto said. But with Odyssey, Miyamoto said Nintendo "wanted to make it a little more on the core side, something that people who like action games can really get into."

I played the first few levels in Galaxy (yeah for the first time) last week and it sure feels like a core game to me. As for Maker, there are some pretty tough levels in there, at least the fan-created ones. I'm not sure how that qualifies as casual, honestly. I mean, hell, IIRC every game after SMB1 doesn't punish you much for losing all your lives, and in games like SMW it was easy to get so many extra lives by grinding the first world's first level, that you'd never run out. But I definitely agree about Mario Run, it's an endless runner for crissakes! :P

Also, while I think the motion controls in Galaxy are implemented well, it definitely hurts my wrist to play for more than 30 minutes or an hour straight. I plan to finish it and Galaxy 2, but I'm looking forward to Odyssey going back to "standard" controls.