How to get back in to this?

Dan_WatsonAU

I could type out a multi-paragraph dissertation on why I liked the game, but I decided weeks ago to stop wasting energy caring about what other people think because I've never ever seen anyone say "Huh...Never thought of it that way".

Either you like the thing or you don't. Play it, sell it, whip it into a garbage can, WGASA. Don't be obligated to play something just because you spent money on it. Consider it a life lesson on wasting money if you can't like it: Just because you spent money on something doesn't mean you'll eventually like it. It's a corollary to Just because you like somebody doesn't mean they're a good person.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, damon8r351 said:

I could type out a multi-paragraph dissertation on why I liked the game, but I decided weeks ago to stop wasting energy caring about what other people think because I've never ever seen anyone say "Huh...Never thought of it that way".

Either you like the thing or you don't. Play it, sell it, whip it into a garbage can, WGASA. Don't be obligated to play something just because you spent money on it. Consider it a life lesson on wasting money if you can't like it: Just because you spent money on something doesn't mean you'll eventually like it. It's a corollary to Just because you like somebody doesn't mean they're a good person.

Is that you, Mahatma Ghandi?

Ontopic: if you're keen on finishing it, play it in small bursts. 

Edited by Starflakes
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dan_WatsonAU said:

So I got this on launch and like many others quickly lost interest not because I hated the game but because it was so broken. 

I fired it up again today and I feel totally lost. I want to like this game a lot, did anyone else find a way to like it? 

If I were you, I'd get back to following the "vanilla" game for now. Check what upgrades you have available and hunt out the resources to craft them. Explore for a bit. Make a few interstellar jumps. Once you find a planet you like, start to worry about the Foundation update content, such as building a base or a frigate. After a few jumps you'll probably run into the Anomaly again and get back on the Atlas path. 

It's no surprise that you're lost - getting lost in space what part of the point of this game!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan_WatsonAU said:

I want to like this game a lot, did anyone else find a way to like it? 

This reminds me of a friend of mine who struggled with alcohol for a while and got wasted every party we went to. One night, he tried to express his "love" for beer but in his inhebriated state he said something among the lines of "I'd love to like beer". I'll never know if that was a simple slip of the tongue or a confession uttered by his subconsciousness.

Anyway, to paraphrase Schopenhauer: "Man can do as he wants but he cannot will as he wills"

Edited by timey77
Wrong choice of word
  • Like 2

It was broken on launch? I thought everything worked fine, just that it was shit.

But if you don't like it, you don't like it. No Man's Sky clearly isn't offering you what you're looking for, and that's a problem that's not going to fix itself whether you want it to or not.

The game is still getting new content through patches, so I'd suggest booting up the game every time once of those is released. Maybe it will eventually become something you enjoy, but until then I don't think you'll be able to force it. And there's no shame in that, lots of people didn't like the game.

Edited by Shadiochao
  • Like 1

I take your points onboard about not playing something I don enjoy but with this game I just feel so lost in it I haven't given it a fair go to see that I don't like it. 
Its almost like people that say they don't like certain foods but have never tried them. 
Also on a different topic why isn't my signature trophy log thing updating, any ideas? 

Edited by Dan_WatsonAU

• 2 weeks later...

If I could go back and plat this game from the beginning again - which I wouldn't do by choice - I wouldn't play the game solely for the platinum! It is almost like it has that poncy RNG element that a lot of developers have to use, especially in the fauna discovery one. On every single planet I got to three, two or one species away from finishing the list within ten minutes; two hours later and most of my planets I still had nothing found even though the entire time was wasted on looking in all variables from day and night to caves, skies, ponds, lakes, seas, mountains, and everything in between.

I would say just go do something for a little while and find interest in what the game does best: creating some awe-inspiring worlds and face-hugger-albino-dino animals.

I've actually been enjoying the game a lot more after platting the stupid thing and that's only because I have no goal in sight now. I get an upgrade, I look for money-making schemes, I kill stuff and I make discoveries. But I don't discover entire planets - ever again.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the chance to get back will soon to be revealed. The pathfinder update will be released and guess what, new trophies will be added. 

Like I mentioned when I got the Plat way back on launch time, the game isn't for everyone but it does have the strength to be one, sadly the game had indeed a "plain" launch and this scared most players, happy that they are still updating, this one seems to be the best one yet. 

Yep, there are new trophies alright. Five of them. Three of them seem pretty straightforward, although still possibly pretty time-consuming and the last two will probably be more of a challenge.

There's a bronze trophy for reaching the centre of the galaxy in survival mode and a silver trophy for doing it in permadeath mode. Hopefully they'll at least stack because I'm not really looking forward to doing that particular grind even once.

• Like 1