Very Disappointed

LiveFree--OrDie

I rented this from RedBox last night and started it a few hours ago. The story seemed very good and I liked the sandbox/open world feel to it.

Big drawback, the melee combat to me was very clunky and buggy. Nothing seemed to be fluid while hand to hand fighting.

I made it to the mission early on in the game where you chase Ming to the roof and you have to fight off his thugs and finally, him(holding a knife).

I was attempting this part for nearly an hour before I had to finally give up. Very disappointed, I was hyped about this game

The melee combat did not feel right.

I rented this from RedBox last night and started it a few hours ago. The story seemed very good and I liked the sandbox/open world feel to it.

Big drawback, the melee combat to me was very clunky and buggy. Nothing seemed to be fluid while hand to hand fighting.

I made it to the mission early on in the game where you chase Ming to the roof and you have to fight off his thugs and finally, him(holding a knife).

I was attempting this part for nearly an hour before I had to finally give up. Very disappointed, I was hyped about this game

The melee combat did not feel right.

Man, that sounds really dissapointing indeed. I am sorry for your unsatisfactory experience.

It takes a while to get used to the different combos, and you do unlock more as you go through the game. Personally, I thought the combat worked really well and made me feel quite powerful. Didn't really have any issues with it - in fact, I thought it was one of the best parts of the game. I've long since got the Platinum, and sold the game on.

• Like 1

Damn, that sucks to hear you're not enjoying the game. Honestly, Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games of this year and I absolutely loved the melee combat system. While it did feel a bit clunky at first I came to terms with it very early and it felt like a slightly clunkier Arkham series Batman combat system. It is very brutal and fun to watch, but have you mastered countering and the different enemy types? Being able to identify the 3 (I think, maybe 4?) different enemy types makes the combat go much smoother when you know whether to counter, grab or just hit and in turn, it makes the game easier and more fun seeing Wei be a complete badass. I hope you spend some more time with the title and try to come to terms with the combat system because I honestly think once you understand it you'll love it, and the games has a fantastic story that I'd hate for you to miss.

Parker

• Like 1

The combat does take a little getting used to, but its a pretty solid system once you get used to it. Give it another chance fella, and just get yourself into small fights to get used to it.

I agree with AF, give it another go, once you get used to the timing of counters and some of the different moves, in my opinion it's a great fighting mechanic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You only have a few melee arsenal to take off early in the game. So, the best way to get over it, is to just wait to counter (defensive style). And everything will be fine. Larer in the game, when you have all the melee upgrades and your health was fully upgraded. You will find this game really awesome. It will worth your time as this game is really good.

• 4 months later...

The combat system, albeit "clunky" at time, is something that can get used to.

My problem is the crappy racing, especially the motorcycle part of it. The racers can knock you off cousem but you can't do nothing to them but richochet all over the place when you try the same.

Also, many of the courses have obtacles mainly in the tight curves and corners...like a piece of concrete wall sticky out, or a useless fench in the way, Really!? What kind of race course are these?

They need to put out an update patch and remove these garbage so the racing can be done more smoothly.

The combat system, albeit "clunky" at time, is something that can get used to.

My problem is the crappy racing, especially the motorcycle part of it. The racers can knock you off cousem but you can't do nothing to them but richochet all over the place when you try the same.

Also, many of the courses have obtacles mainly in the tight curves and corners...like a piece of concrete wall sticky out, or a useless fench in the way, Really!? What kind of race course are these?

They need to put out an update patch and remove these garbage so the racing can be done more smoothly.

The fighting system gets better when you progress through the story (you'll unlock more moves). The races weren't that difficult to me, I just hated the karaoke part.

I'm sorry for your unsatisfactory experiance. But if you played games like Batman Arkham City or any of the sort, it's pretty similiar. And I don't know how you spent an hour on that.

You simply press square to attack. If you see any of your opponents glow red, pres triangle to counter.You press circle to grab opponents, except the larger ones that grab you.

So yes, in my opinion, it's not really buggy or clunky, just straightforward. It took me about 30 hours to get my platinum for this!