Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crimsonidol38

Director talks about DLC-length and series future

25 posts in this topic

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has an interview with Gravity Rush 2 director Keiichiro Toyama, who talks a bit about Gravity Rush 2, the future of the series, and what’s next for his team.

[...]

Regarding ‘The Ark of Time – Raven’s Choice’ DLC…

“It will depict what happens to ark left over at the end of the previous game and the children. At first we wanted to put it in the main story, but we decided to cut it since those who didn’t play the previous game wouldn’t understand it. Taking your time playing it will take about five hours.”

Regarding the future of Gravity Rush…

“It’s still a blank slate, but I feel like I’ve put my all into it this time, so if I make a sequel, I want it to be something new. For example, if there was new hardware that allows for a new way to express things, then I may want to make it.”

What are the plans for the next title from the Gravity Rush team?

“Since the team is in good condition, I want to continue to use the their merits for a new title. I haven’t thought about the new title at all yet, but I don’t think it will be significantly different from the direction I’ve taken so far. I think it will be of the action adventure genre.”

(I excluded the bit about a possible day one-patch)
Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/01/gravity-rush-2-director-talks-raven-dlc-series-future-next-title

I don't know what the director defines as taking your time playing but if the free DLC contains about five hours of meaningful content (not only challenges) it sure seems like a nice addition.
And I hope Sony pulls a typical Sony-move and copy the Nintendo Switch-concept so the team gets the chance to work on another part of the series. :D

Edited by Crimson Idol
Editor screwup

This game looks legitimately beautiful, I never played the first one. Think I should pick that up before playing this one?

9 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

This game looks legitimately beautiful, I never played the first one. Think I should pick that up before playing this one?

Personally I would say it's a good idea to get a bit of information about the characters and their backgrounds. I can't say if it's necessary though as I'm not able to play GR2 yet.

Game is also currently on sale in the store so you can grab the PS4-version quite cheap if you don't mind downloads:
https://store.playstation.com/#!//cid=EP9000-CUSA01113_00-GRAVITYRUSHHDEU1

(offer ends on January 20th).

Retail version shouldn't be too expensive either as the game was re-released with a budget price of 30 EUR or 25 GBP IIRC.

14 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Personally I would say it's a good idea to get a bit of information about the characters and their backgrounds. I can't say if it's necessary though as I'm not able to play GR2 yet.

Game is also currently on sale in the store so you can grab the PS4-version quite cheap if you don't mind downloads:
https://store.playstation.com/#!//cid=EP9000-CUSA01113_00-GRAVITYRUSHHDEU1

(offer ends on January 20th).

Retail version shouldn't be too expensive either as the game was re-released with a budget price of 30 EUR or 25 GBP IIRC.

I got the retail disc for the PS4 version when I was in UK last summer, and it was 16 pound IIRC.

Just note that there was no retail disc in North American for the remaster.

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

I don't know what the director defines as taking your time playing but if the free DLC contains about five hours of meaningful content (not only challenges) it sure seems like a nice addition.

That's 5 hours if you take time so... at best 2 hours of content :/

36 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

I got the retail disc for the PS4 version when I was in UK last summer, and it was 16 pound IIRC.

Sony, no trust in their own, more niche games. :facepalm:

But this shouldn't effect Crispy_Oglop as his/her region seems to be Ireland.

31 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

That's 5 hours if you take time so... at best 2 hours of content :/

At least they don't charge us for this. xD 

I have a feeling this game is going to sell very poorly. Combine that with what he said about future Gravity Rush titles and I think it's safe to assume this will be the last game in the series. That's a real shame. These games don't get the attention they deserve.

As for the DLC, I won't complain about the length since they're giving it away for free. You don't see that too often these days. They could have easily charged for it, and I think they were going to at one point, but it was a nice gesture to give it away for free to the few of us who will be supporting the game. I wonder if they will be releasing any more DLC in the future. I hope so.

The irony here is most of yall find the 3rd game in a series the weakest anyway (Uncharted 3, Dead Space 3, Sly 3, Resistance 3, Crysis 3, Killzone 3, Jak 3, Pokemon 3rd Generation, Crash Bandicoot 3, etc, so why bother expressing interest in a 3rd game? For that extra character development that tends to be falsely cared about once the game actually releases?

For argument sake, ignoring what has been said about the apparantly disappointing story for GR2, how about seeing series strive on being a dual installment series, where the sequel wins the superiority award without its whole franchise being crippled by that 3rd game with usually weaker storyline and usually the less innovative gameplay? Maybe GR is such a unique series it deserves a trilogy, but aside from story, what kind of gameplay innovation can they do NEXT without it straying away from GR (more Gravity styles is an insufficient answer btw, and they sure as hell cant add weapons, grappling hooks, crossbows, vehicles, gadgets, wingsuits lol, crafting system, etc. Creator said this himself and even that the genre would remain the same which would definitely feel like a 2.5. Maybe they can play around with elemental effects but that's only one thing. DLC for GR2, mostly in the characterization + story department seems to be the best thing for Kat herself and the series, to contain its compentency before a 3rd game does harm, then GR2 becomes a better game then its launch version and concludes Kat's journey excellently)? I dont see gameplay innovation going far in a part 3, but just the inevitably new and possibly weaker story (even if stronger, wouldnt really matter). It'd be another case of "Gravity Rush 2.5", as ppl call games with little GP innovation. See my concern here? 

27 minutes ago, Mar said:

The irony here is most of yall find the 3rd game in a series the weakest anyway (Uncharted 3, Dead Space 3, Sly 3, Resistance 3, Crysis 3, Killzone 3, Jak 3, Pokemon 3rd Generation, Crash Bandicoot 3, etc, so why bother expressing interest in a 3rd game? For that extra character development that tends to be falsely cared about once the game actually releases?

For argument sake, ignoring what has been said about the apparantly disappointing story for GR2, how about seeing series strive on being a dual installment series, where the sequel wins the superiority award without its whole franchise being crippled by that 3rd game with usually weaker storyline and usually the less innovative gameplay? Maybe GR is such a unique series it deserves a trilogy, but aside from story, what kind of gameplay innovation can they do NEXT without it straying away from GR (more Gravity styles is an insufficient answer btw, and they sure as hell cant add weapons, grappling hooks, crossbows, vehicles, gadgets, wingsuits lol, crafting system, etc. Creator said this himself and even that the genre would remain the same which would definitely feel like a 2.5. Maybe they can play around with elemental effects but that's only one thing. DLC for GR2, mostly in the characterization + story department seems to be the best thing for Kat herself and the series, to contain its compentency before a 3rd game does harm, then GR2 becomes a better game then its launch version and concludes Kat's journey excellently)? I dont see gameplay innovation going far in a part 3, but just the inevitably new and possibly weaker story (even if stronger, wouldnt really matter). It'd be another case of "Gravity Rush 2.5", as ppl call games with little GP innovation. See my concern here? 

I have literally never heard anyone say gen 3 was the weakest, most I hear is that it's the best. Gravity Rush has always been niche and I doubt there will be another one (killzone 3 was the best in the trilogy) =[

8 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I have a feeling this game is going to sell very poorly. Combine that with what he said about future Gravity Rush titles and I think it's safe to assume this will be the last game in the series. That's a real shame. These games don't get the attention they deserve.

As for the DLC, I won't complain about the length since they're giving it away for free. You don't see that too often these days. They could have easily charged for it, and I think they were going to at one point, but it was a nice gesture to give it away for free to the few of us who will be supporting the game. I wonder if they will be releasing any more DLC in the future. I hope so.

Kat's story is going to be closed with GR2 anyway so... why to bother with another installment anyway? =)

7 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I have literally never heard anyone say gen 3 was the weakest, most I hear is that it's the best. Gravity Rush has always been niche and I doubt there will be another one (killzone 3 was the best in the trilogy) =[

Pokemon

Spoiler

It's commonly agreed upon that Gen 3 was the least liked of the original 3 generations... think about what you said for a minute. You think most of the fan-base prefer Gen 3 over the original Gen 1 and nearly just as popular Gen 2, especially when characters like Red don't return for battle NOR play-role in Gen 3? Gen 3 gets most of its hate for the game design choices it made from the previous gen. Only select few things from Hoenn are praised like the secret bases. Overall though, you can't really make a good argument saying Gen 2-Gen 2 (Generation 2 taking place in Gen 2) was a better "game" than Gen 3. May'be Gen 2-Gen 3 (Gen 2 taking place in Gen 3), but not Gen 2-G2. Keep in mind this excludes OR/AS, and as I said before, also FireRed/LeafGreen.

Killzone

Spoiler

Killzone 3, precisely like Dead Space 3, is also agreed upon to be the weakest in the trilogy. No wait... I think that's wrong and actually a common misconception since the first game was too technically inferior to even be considered better than K3, so instead I mean that people claim K3 is weaker than K2, story and mp wise. So this is somewhat mute since KZTHREE is not the weakest in the trilogy, but you can kind of fit it into context since it still doesn't surpass the 2nd installment/1st sequel. It's been a while since I played the games online competitively, but I never agreed with the logic of KZ2's MP being better than KZ3, but I can't defend that point well now. Although, if people do mean for what KZ1 is that it does its job better than KZ3 did its, it doesn't really matter since KZ2 is looked at to be the best within the trilogy.

Gravity Rush... I don't think it should become a trilogy solely out of its unique style of a game. No matter how a series is, certain decisions can fuck things up. If GR can't itself demand reason for a 3rd game then it doesn't need it. (it shouldn't get it just because of pity or because it's a unique series, there needs to be real potential.) I haven't played GR2 myself yet, but going off what reviews have said, I really think GR2 being improved upon within this installment is better than a sequel that will very likely feel like a 2.5 (GR2 building upon itself can't be criticized for being a 2.5 since its the same game), as Kat's moveset in this game has gotten most of the buffs its needed to be a much better game(play-game). This would also increase GR2's overall score and game design, which should then make it more popular. GR3 strongest focus would be story in theory, but again that won't justify another game, as there needs to be a fair amount of innovation. It's like trying to imagine an inFAMOUS 3 with Cole MacGrath, like what more can you do with gameplay after that, ridiculously give him a third power so that his staple electricity power gimmick becomes more irrelevant and overshadowed and he becomes this out of hand avatar like super hero (worked for Delsin because that was his actual gimmick of being able to wield different power types)? I can see a better designed openworld for inFAMOUS but that's just one thing and that's really just in the level design field. No story would top inFAMOUS 2's (or I1's) either, especially because it shared a two installment continuing storyline from the first game, thus gameplay would be looked at mostly by gamers. I mean gameplay is what majority of the times sells these games that have focus on both story and gameplay, unlike Telltale and Quantic Dream's games that focus mostly on story/narrative.

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Kat's story is going to be closed with GR2 anyway so... why to bother with another installment anyway? =)

Cough, Nathan Drake and Uncharted 3. Cough, Joel and Ellie and The Last of Us, and a fair amount of other games. Like I said, if her characterization aint that good nor the story, then there's always room in both those areas regardless of what the developers say about her and her wrapped up story in GR2. Jak's story was wrapped up in Jak 3 but holy hell is there still room for so much more development and characterization with his character (and Daxter), even though he's even had good development already so far since the first game. But ND did not need to do what they did with Uncharted 4 (still laughing at that obviously supportive brother retcon plot) and TLOU2, they're both clearly executed this way because of business, otherwise they had perfect conclusions to every character's story: Nathan, Elena, Sully, Joel, and Ellie. Jak's journey actually felt and was objectively incomplete and was left on a technical sequel-hook/cliffhanger, mind you 2 separate ones in fact.

Edited by Mar

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Oh, it is? I'm not all that familiar with the story in GR2. Still, I think that's kinda sad. Kat is a great character. I would have liked to seen more games with her.

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Oh, it is?

Well, that's what developers promised :D

10 hours ago, Mar said:

I think it depends on the series in question. Ratchet and Clank 3 was the best in my opinion (I'm not sure if that's a common view though), and I certainly liked Uncharted 3 more than 1. I actually liked it a bit more than 2 to be honest, but I know that's not the common view. I also liked Sly 3 better than 2. :)

I'm not sure Gravity Rush would benefit from a 3rd game though. The series creator at least seems to think the gameplay is done from a creative perspective, if not the narrative also. 

I don't see a problem with relatively short DLC for this. 5 hours sounds fine, even if it's padded a bit. I'll take "short" DLC for Gravity Rush over long DLC for less creative series any day. 

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think it depends on the series in question. Ratchet and Clank 3 was the best in my opinion (I'm not sure if that's a common view though), and I certainly liked Uncharted 3 more than 1. I actually liked it a bit more than 2 to be honest, but I know that's not the common view. I also liked Sly 3 better than 2. :)

I'm not sure Gravity Rush would benefit from a 3rd game though. The series creator at least seems to think the gameplay is done from a creative perspective, if not the narrative also. 

I don't see a problem with relatively short DLC for this. 5 hours sounds fine, even if it's padded a bit. I'll take "short" DLC for Gravity Rush over long DLC for less creative series any day. 

Generally, the reception is most 3rd installments in trilogies (/former trilogies) aren't as good as either the first or second installments. Then there are some series out there where the reception is that the third game is better than the others, such as R&C3. Uncharted 3 is so divided it's not even funny, but U2 still has the more votes. However, one Youtuber convinced me that U3 was the better game (even with its issues like pacing, sponge enemies, forced walking simulator segments, and so fourth).

Yup. 

Definitely DLC on a different level to that of the first game. DLC needs to focus more on Kat's character and the lore of the universe. Kat deserves and needs more characterization, though I'd be discouraged to work on that field with Kat if I was one of the developing employees, with her traditional language aspect. Her characterization is limited by that. Still will like as much more characterization from her as possible. Iirc though, she had more "character" in the animated short than the Gravity Rush game? Should be more like that in the games.

I'm definitely interested to see what Project Siren does next!

I'm fine with calling the series to a close. I loved the original Gravity Rush on Vita (minus the Gravity Slide), and it was improved greatly on the PS4 (because of the Gravity Slide, lol). I think sometimes a series just needs to be put down rather than run the risk of over-doing it. Gravity Rush being rather niche, I don't think the risk of over-doing is as high though.

While I loved Gravity Rush 2, to me it just felt like 'more Gravity Rush', rather than a sequel to Gravity Rush, in terms of game play at least. Sure, there was some new Gravity styles, but either I didn't master them at all, or they were only minimally useful (I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former). I'm happy enough with the story, especially the Eto chapter, as that was one of my biggest complaints about the first game, they just kind of dropped that story plot. The rest of the story was just kinda meh. With each chapter being a separate story altogether, it didn't really feel cohesive as a singular game, but maybe I'm just nitpicking too much.

The thing that annoyed me most though... oh the gem farming you have to do, lol. They had it perfect in the first game, and blew it way out for number 2!

Ok, after finishing the story this weekend and getting done most of the rest I can say that I'm personally fine with this series' end and I don't mind if there won't be a third installment.

It was nice that we got some more background information about some of the characters and they also tied up some loose ends. TBH, there are still some strange things *cough* Syd *cough* but I guess it's better when they don't try to explain it.

On 27.1.2017 at 11:05 AM, LukaLaurent said:

The thing that annoyed me most though... oh the gem farming you have to do, lol. They had it perfect in the first game, and blew it way out for number 2!

The gem farming is really annoying. But the collectibles are even worse IMO. Sure I don't mind to find a stupid painting in a houseboat fleet where the only colors are grey and brown. :|

On 1/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, diskdocx said:

yes there is a retail disk for the gravity rush remaster  i have a physical copy here bought at the store

3 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

yes there is a retail disk for the gravity rush remaster  i have a physical copy here bought at the store

Looks like there was a limited run available in NA - amazon exclusive though. GameStop has a listed for the game second hand. You must have lucked out. The Amazon prices are ridiculous now.

10 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Looks like there was a limited run available in NA - amazon exclusive though. GameStop has a listed for the game second hand. You must have lucked out. The Amazon prices are ridiculous now.

actually i got mine from gamestop or walmart i forget which new not long after it released i know cause i dont order games onlne much cause ive had bad experiences with stuff being broken in the mail

heres a walmart listing but like ya said it must have been limited cause its not available currently   https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gravity-Rush-Remastered-PlayStation-4/188115504

Edited by Taliesin_2943

4 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Well, Americans can always import EU version.

On 31.1.2017 at 8:37 AM, Crimson Idol said:

Ok, after finishing the story this weekend and getting done most of the rest I can say that I'm personally fine with this series' end and I don't mind if there won't be a third installment.

It was nice that we got some more background information about some of the characters and they also tied up some loose ends. TBH, there are still some strange things *cough* Syd *cough* but I guess it's better when they don't try to explain it.

I agree. Gravity Rush 2 wasn't really much a of masterpiece in my opinion, all 3 story-parts felt disconnected and some things that happened in these story-parts made the whole backstory of the world just even stranger and stranger... but the gameplay was still fun and I liked the new gravity styles. =)

I'm still looking forward to the DLC, but I can't see myself getting Gravity Rush 3, if there will ever be a third installment.

Edited by ShadowStefan

On 1/18/2017 at 3:00 AM, Mar said:

Why'd you list good games like Uncharted 3, Jak 3, Sly 3 and most all Crash: Warped? All of those games are fantastic and I would argue the best in the series (Uncharted 3 is exlucded as I think 4 is better, but still a good game). 

2 hours ago, xKrAzY_8sx said:

Why'd you list good games like Uncharted 3, Jak 3, Sly 3 and most all Crash: Warped? All of those games are fantastic and I would argue the best in the series (Uncharted 3 is exlucded as I think 4 is better, but still a good game). 

Because these games are what metacritic and the fans think are weaker than part 2. I definitely agree with Uncharted 3. Jak 3, meh Havent played Sly games or Crash Bandicoot's.