Any coop RPGs?

ASlimeAppears

Looking for something to play with my girlfriend.  Something like Diablo, Sacred, or perhaps BG:Dark Alliance?

EDIT : We've played all the Borderlands, Sacred 2, Diablo 3 (both editions), Child of Light, Dead Island (all), LotR : WotN and Dungeon Siege 3.

I guess a better way to phrase it would be coop RPGs that aren't exclusive to Xbox or multiplat, I suppose.

Edited by ASlimeAppears

Couch co-op:

• Dungeon Hunter Alliance (PS3 version)
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 + 2
  • Fairytale Fights
  • Sacred 3 (although more hack and slash than RPG)
  • Tales of Graces F
  • Realms of Ancient War
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • Tales of Xillia 1 + 2
  • Tales of Zestiria

Online Co-op:

• Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
  • Mass Effect 3
  • Like 4

Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World both have couch Coop.

not actually an RPG's, but instead they have RPG elements like leveling up and grinding over stuff and these games are One Piece Unlimited World Red, Saints Row 3 and 4.

I believe Diablo 3 also have online and offline Coop.

1 hour ago, voodoo_eyes said:
  • Fairytale Fights

What...:|...wait...:unsure:...hold on...:blink:...I need to find my review

So almost 4 years ago to the day (I miss the 4 year mark by 2 days :shakefist: ) I earned my first trophy for this game. I saw it on Kijiji for 5$ and looked at the trailer and it looked like a clever little beat 'em up so I decided "what the hell" and picked it up. I beat it for the first time in a couple of days and then decided to wait 2 years to play it again and then waited another 2 years to finish it Why did I finish it? Because I don't let crappy games beat me :angry: . Now let me tell you a Tale of horror :(

This game is bad, in fact I would go so far as to say this is the worst game I have ever played (at least the worst game on PS3). It has beat out Tony Hawk Ride, Kung Fu Panda 2 and We Dare. Simply put it is BORING, it is repetitive, the trophies are stupid, it is repetitive, the controls are broken and it is repetitive. Allow me to go through the trophies in detail as to fully explain why this game just SUCKS.

Difficulty doesn't stack and Awful controls

Did I mention this game is repetitive :| So this game is probably the most bland game I have ever played. There is only one attack and that is done by pressing the Right Stick in any dirrection. There is no dodge or block button so on the harder difficulties you just get bum-rushed by enemies and have no way of defending yourself. There was a particular spot where there was a river you had to jump, on the other side of the river were two archers who just kept shooting you (there is no reload time) and every time they hit you you would fall in the river. The only way to get past was if you still had a weapon you could try throwing it or to jump far enough that you respawn on the other side. Another spot where there would be 6-8 knights all rushing you with archers in hard to reach spots taking pot-shots at you. All that would happen is you would die and hope that your respawn would stun enemies long enough to get a couple of shots on them (there is no recovery time either so once you get hit you get stuck in a damage loop).

The game also plays like you are on a skating rink. It is very hard to walk normally so you end up missing gold and jewels you were trying to pick up or you perform a jump and just slide right off the platform you are standing on. Attacking launches you forward so if you are not careful you will be attacking an enemy and go flying off a cliff or stop attacking him because you have gone to the side and are now attacking a wall.

So all of that sucks but even if you beat it on Hard you still have to beat it on Easy and Medium...but then you have to also beat it on Easy/Medium/Hard in Co-Op as well. That is 6 playthroughs of this boring game. Also for Co-OP you can play by yourself and just add the second player in at the end so it really just makes you play through each difficulty twice for no reason.

Statue Upgrades

Fine you have to play through 6 times but at least that will help work towards earning enough money to build the statue...except it doesn't. One I had beat the game 6 times I still had to grind out over 3 million in gold. The best level you can do is Chapter 9 which takes 15 minutes to beat and that only gives you 300,000 gold. So you need to grind that level 10-12 times to earn enough to buy the stupid statue

Arena Battles

Believe it or not but this game has multiplayer...you need to do 100 arena battles to get the trophy. 100 matches is a lot in good games, now imagine doing that in a piece of shit game :). Luckily this is offline multiplayer so it can be boosted quickly with a second controller but that just makes it even more pointless. I've always said make your requirements for multiplayer low. If people like it they will keep playing it and if people don't like it then they aren't pissed off.

Pointless Trophies

Slide around in blood for 3 minutes (mess up at all and have to start over), Stand still for 15 minutes in the hub world, Randomly receive a trophy from a random wishing well, Drink 1000 potions (this took more than my 6 playthroughs as well) and so many more.

Collectables + Checklists

So you have to also use one of every weapon (161 in the game), open all chests (close to 400) and get an A in all levels. The thing is you have NO IDEA which ones you have done because it doesn't keep track. It also doesn't keep track which levels you have beaten on what difficulty. The fun thing as well is, if you know it is Chapter 10 you missed a chest on you have to collect every chest again in that level and not just the one you missed. There is also one chest/weapon you have to die in a specific spot to respawn in another part of the world. How you were supposed to figure that out is beyond me.

I could keep going with how crap this game is but I am done. I am done playing crappy games for awhile and am glad that this game is finally out of my backlog.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

Hey, he only wanted to know about co-op, not if the actual games were any good :P. Although I have to admit, it's one of the games from the list I haven't played along with Eternal Sonata and Tales of Zestiria.

10 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

LOL. To this day, I can't believe I suffered through that plat. 

Anyway, are we relegated to PS3? If not, Divinity is a pretty sweet co-op RPG for the PS4, with both couch co-op and online. Further (in couch co-op, at least), both profiles earn trophies!

Did you pick up Sacred 3?

Edited by starcrunch061

13 hours ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Hey, he only wanted to know about co-op, not if the actual games were any good :P. Although I have to admit, it's one of the games from the list I haven't played along with Eternal Sonata and Tales of Zestiria.

OK but you have got to be careful recommending games. I mean you almost sent that poor soul on a dark and twisted journey which no man (or woman) should ever venture :|

10 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

LOL. To this day, I can't believe I suffered through that plat. 

Anyway, are we relegated to PS3? If not, Divinity is a pretty sweet co-op RPG for the PS4, with both couch co-op and online. Further (in couch co-op, at least), both profiles earn trophies!

Did you pick up Sacred 3?

Yeah we tried Divinity (I assume you mean Original Sin) but we weren't really enjoying it.  I think because it's turn-based.  Especially since OS requires more strategy than something Diablo and my girlfriend hasn't played those types of games much, if at all.  I did enjoy playing it by myself though.

We've played it, but I prefer to pretend Sacred 3 doesn't exist.  It may be an ok hack and slash game (though IMO it fails at that), but they removed just about everything that made Sacred 2 amazing.  I didn't enjoy 3 at all, still hoping we get a real sequel to 2.

32 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

OK but you have got to be careful recommending games. I mean you almost sent that poor soul on a dark and twisted journey which no man (or woman) should ever venture :|

I played it on Xbox already!  So much regret...

I'll take a look at the rest and see if there is anything we can agree on playing.  Thanks guys!

15 hours ago, ASlimeAppears said:

Yeah we tried Divinity (I assume you mean Original Sin) but we weren't really enjoying it.  I think because it's turn-based.  Especially since OS requires more strategy than something Diablo and my girlfriend hasn't played those types of games much, if at all.  I did enjoy playing it by myself though.

We've played it, but I prefer to pretend Sacred 3 doesn't exist.  It may be an ok hack and slash game (though IMO it fails at that), but they removed just about everything that made Sacred 2 amazing.  I didn't enjoy 3 at all, still hoping we get a real sequel to 2.

LOL! It seems I failed you all around!:lol:

I see about Divinity. That's too bad - it's a little slow (due to the turn-based battles), but it's really good.

I had never actually played Sacred 3 (I platted Sacred 2 myself, as did a few others of my comrades, but none of us seemed to care about 3). I had hoped to hear it was better.

Not really an RPG, although you do level up and upgrade gear/abilities with research points, but I've really been enjoying Helldivers as a co-op game. Can be played locally or on PSN with up to four players. Really great for being able to pick up for just short periods of time since missions last 10-30 minutes depending on difficulty.

It starts off pretty difficult, but you can get pretty good pretty quickly if you get the right stratagems. Give it a try if you're willing to step a little outside your preferred genre. :)

My one suggestion is Dragon's Crown. A beautiful side scrolling action RPG by Vanillaware. On the top level it is a fast and fun coop action game but underneath it lies deep RPG systems that fans of the genre will get a lot of traction out of. A super easy game to drop in and out of and can be played both couch coop and online. Also due to it's single screen nature you don't have to deal with splitscreen so you get the same experience both on the couch and on PSN. It's great, you should play it :) 

3 minutes ago, PhantomOfThorns said:

My one suggestion is Dragon's Crown. A beautiful side scrolling action RPG by Vanillaware. On the top level it is a fast and fun coop action game but underneath it lies deep RPG systems that fans of the genre will get a lot of traction out of. A super easy game to drop in and out of and can be played both couch coop and online. Also due to it's single screen nature you don't have to deal with splitscreen so you get the same experience both on the couch and on PSN. It's great, you should play it :) 

Another view: Dragon's Crown is horibly overrated by its fans.

You have to invest a LOT of time and energy in rote repetition before you see these "deep RPG systems". For the most part, the game comes down to repeating the same levels, over and over, in order to raise levels. Unfortunately, there are too few levels (and enemies) to support this repetition.

• Like 3