The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch/WiiU) general discussion

Oobedoob S Benubi

Note: this thread is for fans of the series, or at least for people excited about the upcoming title. Negative talk from people not interested in the game, and talk about the Switch in general, goes in this thread:

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/42168-nx-aka-nintendo-switch-revealed-3rd-party-support-revealed-backed-by-nvidia/

I discovered there was no thread about Breath Of The Wild yet so I decided to create one.

Personally, I'm pretty excited for this game. For reference, I've completely played through the following Zelda games: Ocarina Of Time, The Wind Waker, Twillight Princess and Spirit Tracks. I've started but never finished Phantom Hourglass, and I never managed to finish A Link To The Past (though it is on my to-do list for this year). I've never been a hardcore fan but I do love the setting and music. I can actually play the main theme on guitar :) (poorly, but as well as I can play anything on guitar, haven't been playing for long). The lack of a new Zelda game is one of the reasons I never got a WiiU (the main reason being no open world Mario game).

On Breath Of The Wild:

• I like the idea of a big open world Zelda game, though I hope that means lots of content as well.
  • I think new Link looks good, I wouldn't mind if the green tunic makes an appearance at some point but I'm not angry if this gets ignored. Perhaps the blue tunic means this Link grew up with the Zoras instead of the Kokiri?
  • Loving the huge Ganon-dragon (or Calamity Ganon, as he seems to be called). One thing I missed in Twillight Princess were memorable villains like in Ocarina. Yay, woman in ice, I guess (P.S. spoiler alert). That sand snake looks cool as well.
  • Loving the art style, it seems like a natural evolution from the Wind Waker graphics. Nintendo can't pull off realistic, better go for animated. Looks really really cool.
  • Don't know what my opinion on the big magnet weapon is yet. It looks a bit weird.
  • The short shot of Zelda bursting in tears looks weird as well, I hope it doesn't come off as exaggerated in the game. It seems like it is intended as a dramatic moment.

So, what do you all think? What are you excited about and what are you worried about?

Edited by BillyHorrible
Title update, not Switch exclusive

I must say I'm quite surprised there was no discussion thread for this game. In any case, I'm not a big Nintendo player, even though what I do play on my 3DS I frikkin love. Legend of Zelda games never interested me though.

If anyone is curious, here's the side by side comparisons of the game on the Wii U vs Switch:

This one is kinda loud for some reason, so if you're listening on headphones, turn the volume down first

Edited by BIOHAZARD-R-US

9 minutes ago, BIOHAZARD-R-US said:

I must say I'm quite surprised there was no discussion thread for this game. In any case, I'm not a big Nintendo player, even though what I do play on my 3DS I frikkin love. Legend of Zelda games never interested me though.

If anyone is curious, here's the side by side comparisons of the game on the Wii U vs Switch:

This one is kinda loud for some reason, so if you're listening on headphones, turn the volume down first

I was very sceptical of Zelda before I ever played one. Got a used N64 with Mario 64, Zelda and SW Racer so I decided to try it out anyway but the farther I got, the more awesome I thought it was. Ocarina Of Time 3D was one of the few 3DS games which I played a lot.

Thanks for those comparison videos. Switch looks awesome. I noticed there's a WiiU controller in the game apparently... I hope it's just some side thing that doesn't matter much like how the N64 rumble thing was in Ocarina, it looks to be very hard on pulling people out of the narrative.

2 minutes ago, chickenbaltipie said:

Zelda is one of my all time favourite game series, specifically Link to the Past and Majora's Mask

I'm very excited for this, but can i justify £300+ just for this one game?

Depends on what you think of the other titles. Personally, I'll get Snipperclips as well which should also be released in March. I've got Odyssey pre-ordered and I'll get Mario Kart pretty soon after release, and my N64 hasn't worked in years so if the Virtual Console will be filled right away on the Switch then I'll re-buy a lot of those games as well. I'm technically still in doubt about whether or not to buy the Switch day one but who am I kidding, I'll probably get it and Zelda right away and then wait for the rest.

I've also decided I want to go back to A Link To The Past to finally play completely through it.

• Like 1

Dood, you totally need to play Links Awakening, Oracle Of Seasons, A Link To The Past and Minish Cap. :P These are Gameboy, GB Color and two GB Advance games, so, you shouldn't have any problem with finding them today for Virtual Console.

Wasn't really a fan of Spirit Track and Phantom Hourglass though...

I'm also not a fan of 3D Zelda games, but, yeah, dunno... I liked Wind Waker, so obviously I would get Breath Of The Wild too, when I'm going for a Switch somewhen. And guess I would, because I like that you can use it as a handheld... And probably it's going to get ported versions of all "important" Nintendo games the Wii U had. :giggle: 

Edited by Neputyunu

27 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Depends on what you think of the other titles. Personally, I'll get Snipperclips as well which should also be released in March. I've got Odyssey pre-ordered and I'll get Mario Kart pretty soon after release, and my N64 hasn't worked in years so if the Virtual Console will be filled right away on the Switch then I'll re-buy a lot of those games as well. I'm technically still in doubt about whether or not to buy the Switch day one but who am I kidding, I'll probably get it and Zelda right away and then wait for the rest.

I've also decided I want to go back to A Link To The Past to finally play completely through it.

I want the switch, i just dont think there is enough for me on day one - i'll probably break and get it in the launch window with Zelda then spend a fortune on VC titles

Yes - go back to Link to the past - that game is awesome!!!

Just now, Neputyunu said:

Dood, you totally need to play Links Awakening, Oracle Of Seasons, A Link To The Past and Minish Cap. :P These are Gameboy, GB Color and two GB Advance games, so, you shouldn't have any problem with finding them today for Virtual Console.

I'm also not a fan of 3D Zelda games, but, yeah, dunno... I liked Wind Waker, so obviously I would get Breath Of The Wild too, when I'm going for a Switch somewhen. And guess I would, because I like that you can use it as a handheld... And probably it's going to get ported versions of all "important" Nintendo games the Wii U had. :giggle: 

Yep - Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass were both poor IMO

Never played a Zelda before, largely due to never owning a Nintendo console other than a Wii U (I had a Wii but barely used it because I got a PS3 two weeks later and never looked back) and the 3DS ones having way too high of a cost.

I'm grabbing a Switch at launch, despite there being no launch games (1-2 Switch should have been bundled in, Just Dance and Skylanders do not count) other than this. As sort of said above, I have a Wii U, so I could get the game there if I wanted, but since the only games I'm looking forward to for the Switch that are coming out soon are Splatoon and Mario Kart, games I already have on said Wii U, I figure why not just complete the Tri Force (does that work as a reference or?) and get the Switch version of this sucker too if I was going to?

Rambling aside, here's the short version. I've never played anything with Link in it outside of the Mario Kart DLC, can I / should I jump in on this game, since it's basically the only proper game that's gonna be out on launch day for me, or is it too late to get into Zelda now?

If the latter, then I have a couple of months to catch up, so what should I get into first? Are the early NES ones worth it, or should I just get Ocarina on my phone? I have the Game Cube emulator unlocked on my Wii U, so I can basically play anything up to the Wii ones, which I think is all of them anyway? Cheers guys!

I have always loved the Zelda series and agree the game looks good. However, I have adopted a "wait and see" strategy on the switch. I paid entirely too much for a wii u based on how long it was Nintendo's home console and I want to see stronger third party support. ACTUAL third party support, not "promised" third party support.

I haven't seen anything on this but is Nintendo going to have an achievement system? If so, I may reconsider that stance:D

• Like 2

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy

There is "A Link Between Worlds" for 3DS, which is like 20€, because it's part of the "Nintendo Selects" series.

You can jump into any Zelda you want, and basicly nobody knows how to put them together anyway. :P 

There are multiple theories about the Zelda-timeline, and even that one from Nintendo isn't really satisfying or detailed.

At first, you need to know that the games are out-of-order. Like the Star Wars movies.

Second, you need to know, that there was, for the whole timeline concept, an event at the end of Ocarina of Time (at least in the head of the creators), that splitted the timeline into three sub timelines.

...So, it doesn't really matter where to start.

naZcf.jpg

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 2

I'm also super excited for this game! I've been a Nintendo player since I was a kid and Nintendo consoles have always been my number 1! :) Lately most of my playtime shifted to PS titles though, since the number of releases on Wii/ WiiU has been rather low, but whenever a new Metroid/ Mario/ Zelda came out, I immediately casted everything else aside. :P

The Legend of Zelda is my all time favorite game series! I played all titles, really all of them, even the JP only Satellaview SNES titles. I only let the CDI titles out, 'cause everyone knows they're crap. :P Anyway, BoTW makes me feel like it's gonna be one of the very best Zelda titles. The open world, the realistic take on weather conditions and such, everything looks like it's really deeply thought-through. And I'm very interested in the story. :) Most Zelda titles have a rather low amount of story, unless you think/ theorize really deeply into some stuff, but BoTW makes me feel like the story is going to take a higher value here, which I would welcome. My top 3 Zelda titles are Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker, btw. :P

6 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Rambling aside, here's the short version. I've never played anything with Link in it outside of the Mario Kart DLC, can I / should I jump in on this game, since it's basically the only proper game that's gonna be out on launch day for me, or is it too late to get into Zelda now?

Playing BoTW as your very first Zelda game should be no problem in general. All Zelda titles have an interconnected official timeline, but this timeline is rather complicated and has its flaws to be honest. All in all nearly every Zelda is a standalone title, like with the Final Fantasy series, so no problem there. The only problem might be that BoTW will be a lot different to nearly every other Zelda title. Pre-BoTW all Zelda titles have been pretty linear in their story- and world-exploration. (Only A Link Between Worlds on 3DS let you choose dungeons in your order of preference.) You get a new item, you open a new area and so on. There is always a lot of exploration you can do on your own, but sooner or later you have to do the next story dungeon to get on. BoTW however will be the first open-world Zelda game, with a high number of possibilities. From what I've read you can even jump into the final battle whenever you feel like it. Due to this, BoTW will most certainly give a pretty different gameplay feel than all previous Zelda titles. If you're going to play Ocarina of Time now, then that doesn't mean you're going to like BoTW and vice versa. All in all however I'd advice you to try Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker, as these are commonly known as the best 3D Zelda games, while A Link to the Past is often said to be the best 2D Zelda game (though I like the Oracle games more. :P).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShadowStefan said:

If you're going to play Ocarina of Time now, then that doesn't mean you're going to like BoTW and vice versa. All in all however I'd advice you to try Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker, as these are commonly known as the best 3D Zelda games, while A Link to the Past is often said to be the best 2D Zelda game (though I like the Oracle games more. :P).

True dat. My first Zelda was Links Awakening on Gameboy. My second was A Link To The Past, for Gameboy Advance. It felt like it had really REALLY much content, because it had, iirc, 16 dungeons instead of 8, because you need to timetravel at some points to advance. It's like when the game would offer you a complete second map!

I never liked any N64 Zelda though... The controls were just horrible. Maybe that's is a reason why I love 2D Zelda games and never was really a fan of 3D Zelda games. (Or maybe I thought that the top down view is better for a Zelda game) Then I have played Wind Waker on GameCube, which was 3D too, and I actually liked it... So, it was maybe really just the camera and the poor controls of the N64... But I don't know if I should try Majoras Mask and Oracle of Time, which are from the N64, in their 3DS version again...

However, when I got Minish Cap for Gameboy Advance and Oracle of Seasons for Gameboy Color, I enjoyed them even more than Wind Waker...

The 2D games are for me better. ...Except Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass, for DS. They were imo both... "poor". :D 

I guess, that is something you need to find out yourself... You know what would be awesome? When Nintendo would just have had splitted the timelines like "2D timeline" and "3D timeline" :P 

Edited by Neputyunu

14 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

But I don't know if I should try Majoras Mask and Oracle of Time, which are from the N64, in their 3DS version again...

In my opinion the 3DS versions of OoT and MM are the way to go, they are far superior to their original versions, taking everything that was already there and improving on it. ;) However, as you stated: If you're not that much into 3D Zelda in general, even the 3DS versions might not be that great for you. :P

Just heard that I can get a Zelda day one - since it's the main launch title to get, almost everybody is pre-ordering it and only people who pre-ordered Sunday or earlier can have one day one :) the odds of me getting a Switch day one are ever increasing...

Since we're talking about the timelines, here's my theory: since the iconic cap and green clothing is missing, this game might just be the earliest title yet, before even Minish Cap.

1 hour ago, Neputyunu said:

Dood, A Link To The Past is a SNES game :D I have it on an actual cartridge and I had been thinking about restarting this weekend.

I'm hoping that at least Super Mario 3D World and Yoshi's Woolly World get a WiiU port, it's the games I would not mind playing. Probably forgetting one or two titles now.

1 hour ago, chickenbaltipie said:

I want the switch, i just dont think there is enough for me on day one - i'll probably break and get it in the launch window with Zelda then spend a fortune on VC titles

Yes - go back to Link to the past - that game is awesome!!!

Yep - Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass were both poor IMO

I'm going to get mainly N64 VC titles myself, still have a working SNES over here.

Odds are I've started Link To The Past before tomorrow.

I didn't bother with finishing Phantom Hourglass but I really liked Spirit Tracks.

36 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Never played a Zelda before, largely due to never owning a Nintendo console other than a Wii U (I had a Wii but barely used it because I got a PS3 two weeks later and never looked back) and the 3DS ones having way too high of a cost.

I'm grabbing a Switch at launch, despite there being no launch games (1-2 Switch should have been bundled in, Just Dance and Skylanders do not count) other than this. As sort of said above, I have a Wii U, so I could get the game there if I wanted, but since the only games I'm looking forward to for the Switch that are coming out soon are Splatoon and Mario Kart, games I already have on said Wii U, I figure why not just complete the Tri Force (does that work as a reference or?) and get the Switch version of this sucker too if I was going to?

If the latter, then I have a couple of months to catch up, so what should I get into first? Are the early NES ones worth it, or should I just get Ocarina on my phone? I have the Game Cube emulator unlocked on my Wii U, so I can basically play anything up to the Wii ones, which I think is all of them anyway? Cheers guys!

Many Zelda games are standalone titles and most are the same basic story - a reincarnation of Ganon endangers Hyrule, a reincarnation of the Hero Of Time awakens to stop him. This always gets explained at some point in the games, and you'll never have to worry about missing something as each game is a separate story and the only reason you need to know the other games is to understand the timeline as a whole. Before Nintendo's Zelda book where the timelines are made cannon, the idea which was mentioned the most was that there were two timelines after Ocarina - turns out there were three! For decades the fans just had to figure it out themselves. Some games are obviously connected (Majora has the same Link as Ocarina, Phantom Hourglass is after Wind Waker) but it's not important if you just want to enjoy a single game.

If you're getting the Switch at launch, may I suggest going for Breath Of The Wild right away, and getting a few Zelda's through the Virtual Console system - my advice would be Ocarina Of Time from N64 and Link To The Past from SNES. If you haven't had enough after that there's more to play but Ocarina and Past are almost universally accepted as being masterpieces.

Definitely start with Breath Of The Wild as this is the most recent addition and therefor will have the most power to pull you in, as you won't have nostalgic feelings towards the old titles. If you're planning on keeping the WiiU then I'd suggest playing Wind Waker eventually as well.

9 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy

There is "A Link Between Worlds" for 3DS, which is like 20€, because it's part of the "Nintendo Selects" series.

You can jump into any Zelda you want, and basicly nobody knows how to put them together anyway. :P 

There are multiple theories about the Zelda-timeline, and even that one from Nintendo isn't really satisfying or detailed.

At first, you need to know that the games are out-of-order. Like the Star Wars movies.

Second, you need to know, that there was, for the whole timeline concept, an event at the end of Oracle of Time (at least in the head of the creators), that splitted the timeline into three sub timelines.

...So, it doesn't really matter where to start.

linha_do_tempo_thumb-ugs0s.png

The timeline of Star Wars is child's play compared to Zelda :D

7 minutes ago, ShadowStefan said:

I'm also super excited for this game! I've been a Nintendo player since I was a kid and Nintendo consoles have always been my number 1! :) Lately most of my playtime shifted to PS titles though, since the number of releases on Wii/ WiiU has been rather low, but whenever a new Metroid/ Mario/ Zelda came out, I immediately casted everything else aside. :P

The Legend of Zelda is my all time favorite game series! I played all titles, really all of them, even the JP only Satellaview SNES titles. I only let the CDI titles out, 'cause everyone knows they're crap. :P Anyway, BoTW makes me feel like it's gonna be one of the very best Zelda titles. The open world, the realistic take on weather conditions and such, everything looks like it's really deeply thought-through. And I'm very interested in the story. :) Most Zelda titles have a rather low amount of story, unless you think/ theorize really deeply into some stuff, but BoTW makes me feel like the story is going to take a higher value here, which I would welcome. My top 3 Zelda titles are Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker, btw. :P

Playing BoTW as your very first Zelda game should be no problem in general. All Zelda titles have an interconnected official timeline, but this timeline is rather complicated and has its flaws to be honest. All in all nearly every Zelda is a standalone title, like with the Final Fantasy series, so no problem there. The only problem might be that BoTW will be a lot different to nearly every other Zelda title. Pre-BoTW all Zelda titles have been pretty linear in their story- and world-exploration. (Only A Link Between Worlds on 3DS let you choose dungeons in your order of preference.) You get a new item, you open a new area and so on. There is always a lot of exploration you can do on your own, but sooner or later you have to do the next story dungeon to get on. BoTW however will be the first open-world Zelda game, with a high number of possibilities. From what I've read you can even jump into the final battle whenever you feel like it. Due to this, BoTW will most certainly give a pretty different gameplay feel than all previous Zelda titles. If you're going to play Ocarina of Time now, then that doesn't mean you're going to like BoTW and vice versa. All in all however I'd advice you to try Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker, as these are commonly known as the best 3D Zelda games, while A Link to the Past is often said to be the best 2D Zelda game (though I like the Oracle games more. :P).

I never really got into Majora's Mask when I finally played it on the GC disc, might just give it another shot on Vc on the Switch.

My top three: Ocarina, Link To The Past (even though I have not finished it), Wind Waker.

I'm actually a bit bothered with the choose-your-own-order approach. Have not played Link Between Worlds but this means in my eyes that there's less of a natural increase in difficulty.

7 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Dood, not when you have this one instead. :D 

0883.jpg

I actually stole my ex-girlfriends GBoy Advance just to play this.

I have been thinking about replaying a Zelda or two this year in prep for Breath of the Wild. Just in case I take the plunge with the Switch this year.

1 hour ago, Neputyunu said:

Dood, not when you have this one instead. :D 

0883.jpg

Still a SNES game, that's just a port :)

Super Star Wars is on PS4 now, still a SNES game xD

As I get older, I find it happens more and more that people talk about something when they forget there are older versions.

52 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

I actually stole my ex-girlfriends GBoy Advance just to play this.

I have been thinking about replaying a Zelda or two this year in prep for Breath of the Wild. Just in case I take the plunge with the Switch this year.

Which Nintendo consoles/handhelds do you still own, do you already have a Zelda or two lying around?

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Which Nintendo consoles/handhelds do you still own, do you already have a Zelda or two lying around?

For consoles (working):

Gboy Advance SP

DS Lite

3DS

Gamecube

Wii

WiiU

Zelda Games:

Legend of Zelda (NES)(Somewhere packed away)

Link to the Past (SNES & GBA)

Links Awakening (GB) This is probably top three Zelda games for me.

Windwaker (Gamecube)

Phantom Hourglass (DS)

Spirit Tracks (DS)

Twilight Princess (Wii)

And this beauty...

OHkavFZ.png

It's funny you asked b/c I just came across most of my Gamecube stuff the other day (we are in-between houses and most everything is packed away until construction on our new house is finished).

20 minutes ago, Crisis001 said:

I'll buy Breath of the Wild for sure, but I'm still torn if I'll get the WiiU version or wait later when I decide to buy Switch.

In the words of William Shakespeare: "The WiiU is dead, long live the Switch!"

10 minutes ago, hugglebunn-e said:

For consoles (working):

Gboy Advance SP

DS Lite

3DS

Gamecube

Wii

WiiU

Zelda Games:

Legend of Zelda (NES)(Somewhere packed away)

Link to the Past (SNES & GBA)

Links Awakening (GB) This is probably top three Zelda games for me.

Windwaker (Gamecube)

Phantom Hourglass (DS)

Spirit Tracks (DS)

Twilight Princess (Wii)

And this beauty...

OHkavFZ.png

It's funny you asked b/c I just came across most of my Gamecube stuff the other day (we are in-between houses and most everything is packed away until construction on our new house is finished).

I only asked because you were thinking about replaying some :) taking into account which games you have for working systems, I'd say replay Ocarina (as the masterpiece) and Wind Waker (semi-same art style as BotW).

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nintendo consoles / handhelds I own:

NES (both the original front loader and the top loader redesign)

SNES (ver. 2)

N64

Gamecube (platinum edition)

GBA Player for Gamecube

Wii

Wii-U (black edition)

Game Boy

Game Boy Pocket

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance

Game Boy Advance SP (NES edition)

DS

3DS

Zelda copies I own:

The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker Limited Edition (GameCube)

The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (GameCube)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time / Master Quest (GameCube)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Collector's Edition (Wii)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Game Boy Color)

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons(Game Boy Color)

The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (3DS)

What can I say? I collect video games and consoles. That said, I am very much looking forward to the Switch and Breath of the Wild.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Still a SNES game, that's just a port :)

Super Star Wars is on PS4 now, still a SNES game xD

As I get older, I find it happens more and more that people talk about something when they forget there are older versions.

I know that it is a SNES game, and I havn't forgotten about it. And... I don't think it's "just a port". :P 

http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past/Remake_Changes

I've only played a few Zelda games and most of them the 2D ones which I enjoyed, but to see this ambious open world Zelda, I'm super hyped, everything seems so good and actual voice acting! :D 

In a way I think can likened to how FF became open world with XV which not everyone loved (story issues aside) but obviously Zelda will be more open ended with gameplay elements so I'm really excited for that aspect (since no offense but most current open world games have terrible combat system imo at least) definitely the main reason I'm getting Switch at launch even though I have a Wii U aswell.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

I know that it is a SNES game, and I havn't forgotten about it. And... I don't think it's "just a port". :P 

http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past/Remake_Changes

Well, "remaster" then :) I have not played it but going by the list, it's basically the same game with a couple of fixes.

Playing through Link To The Past as we speak, by the way... Never finished it before :(

I've got the Master Sword now, on to Hyrule Castle...