The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch/WiiU) general discussion

Oobedoob S Benubi

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Does it do anything in Breath Of The Wild? I still don't exactly understand what amiibo figures will and won't do.

The Wolf Link amiibo will unlock a wolf companion that attacks enemies and finds items in BotW. 

Heh, the editor had a good pun when I copy pasted the video url: "Your link has been automatically embedded." :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

The Wolf Link amiibo will unlock a wolf companion that attacks enemies and finds items in BotW. 

Heh, the editor had a good pun when I copy pasted the video url: "Your link has been automatically embedded." :D

So, how do you know in advance if your amiibo will be able to do anything at all in any game? I'm thinking about getting the mega yarn Yoshi, regardless of if it will ever do anything in a Switch game, but other than that I don't know.

And yeah it's fun when thing like that work out :)

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

So, how do you know in advance if your amiibo will be able to do anything at all in any game? I'm thinking about getting the mega yarn Yoshi, regardless of if it will ever do anything in a Switch game, but other than that I don't know.

And yeah it's fun when thing like that work out :)

Nintendo maintains an amiibo compatibility database where you can check which amiibos are supported in which games. 

UK version: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo-/Line-up/Line-up-932319.html

US version: http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

Nintendo maintains an amiibo compatibility database where you can check which amiibos are supported in which games. 

UK version: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/amiibo-/Line-up/Line-up-932319.html

US version: http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

Thanks for that!

The future will show if I actually start doing something with amiibo, but it's good to know. 

What are the essential Zelda games worth playing, especially for story and difficulty (combat, puzzles, boss battles)? Dont list TP, WW, OoT, SS, or MM. I already know those are ranked as the best all time Zelda games. I played but never beat WW and TP. I need to catch up on my Zelda, for BotW, as I only beat Four Swords (..... lel).

1 hour ago, Mar said:

What are the essential Zelda games worth playing, especially for story and difficulty (combat, puzzles, boss battles)? Dont list TP, WW, OoT, SS, or MM. I already know those are ranked as the best all time Zelda games. I played but never beat WW and TP. I need to catch up on my Zelda, for BotW, as I only beat Four Swords (..... lel).

My recommendation would be A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening

Getting more excited than ever for a new Zelda. It's going to be awesome, it's just a question of how much awesome vs how much narm (still not a fan of the in-game WiiU gamepad).

Still plowing through Link To The Past, working on dungeon 6 in the Dark World now.

Really want to play through Ocarina Of Time once more now, but it'll have to wait until after Breath Of The Wild, I guess. At least it should be possible to do Super Mario 64 again before Odyssey (I hope).

36 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

A link to the past is on the virtual console, it only had one version on the snes, link's awakening was on the game boy/color and is on the 3ds virtual console

Lol. Hey, some ports are bad, like Chrono Cross on Vita/Ps3. But yeah, guess those ones didnt necessarily have "true?" ports. VC is faithful I think.

Edited by Mar

43 minutes ago, Mar said:

Lol. Hey, some ports are bad, like Chrono Cross on Vita/Ps3. But yeah, guess those ones didnt necessarily have "true?" ports. VC is faithful I think.

What's bad about the ps classic version of chrono cross? It's supposed to be the emulated original version :hmm:. As for the virtual console, I'm pretty sure it's emulated

42 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

What's bad about the ps classic version of chrono cross? It's supposed to be the emulated original version :hmm:. As for the virtual console, I'm pretty sure it's emulated

It had a lot of exclusive issues and changed things from the original SNES version. I firgot what exactly but there was a lot of language, dialougue, and text changes, which affected the story (perception).

6 minutes ago, Mar said:

It had a lot of exclusive issues and changed things from the original SNES version. I firgot what exactly but there was a lot of language, dialougue, and text changes, which affected the story (perception).

Wait, are you talking about Chrono Trigger? Chrono Cross was the PSone sequel. Yeah the psone port did have some changes, but the ds version is definitely the best version of it

• Like 1

Breath Of The Wild is looking really good, but I'm not sure if it's worth $400.

22 hours ago, Mar said:

Out of the Zelda games left I would say Link To The Past, Minish Cap, and Spirit Tracks.

All these things have basically got me to go

Play the new one

Play Ocarina & Link to the Past

Play Wind Waker

See what else floats my goat

Moreover, there was a bit someone said about potentially doing the final boss real early in the new one. I hope something like that is possible. I prefer to clear out the story and then do the free roaming stuff and since the big N has put so much emphasis on open world free roaming this time round, I'll like to leave that until the end.

The real question becomes, do I play Ocarina now, or play the new one, get hype, then play it?

• Like 1

Awww yeah, Link To The Past completed :D

This means I've now played through A Link To The Past, Ocarina Of Time, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks. Seeing as people are talking about the ports now, I feel like adding that I've played all the original versions (and in the case of Twilight Princess, which had two versions appear around the same time: the Game Cube version).

As for Link To The Past, sorry to you 2D fans but I still think Ocarina Of Time is better. It's all relative though - Link To The Past is certainly an amazing game and I'd rate it among my top experiences on the SNES. I'd also rate it higher than any other Zelda game I've played. In case you want to know (and in case you don't, still): Ocarina Of Time, Link To The Past, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks.

I kinda stopped playing the Wii before Skyward Sword came out, if that one would somehow find its way onto the Switch then I'm definitely playing it. I never had Majora's Mask on the N64 but I tried it on the Game Cube and it didn't appeal to me enough to keep playing... I'm ready to give it another try though. That covers all the main console games except the NES era and I'm not really running to get my hands on those, not really aching for the handhelds either.

Super excited for Breath Of The Wild now!

4 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

All these things have basically got me to go

Play the new one

Play Ocarina & Link to the Past

Play Wind Waker

See what else floats my goat

Moreover, there was a bit someone said about potentially doing the final boss real early in the new one. I hope something like that is possible. I prefer to clear out the story and then do the free roaming stuff and since the big N has put so much emphasis on open world free roaming this time round, I'll like to leave that until the end.

The real question becomes, do I play Ocarina now, or play the new one, get hype, then play it?

You definitely got the best stuff covered there, in my eyes. Definitely do Ocarina Of Time and Link To The Past.

Yes the new Zelda can be played out of order again but my guess is that, just like in Link To The Past, you'll have to do all the main quest stuff before you can open the Very Definitely Final Dungeon. As far as I can tell there's tons of things to do in the new Zelda next to the main quest, even more so than in the other games, which all had their fair share of side quests, mini games, optional dungeons...

Do you already have Ocarina lying around? I thought you didn't have it yet but I could be mistaken. If you don't have it yet, just wait for the Virtual Console version on the Switch.

On 21-1-2017 at 6:03 PM, Eyjabria said:

I just added Link to my signature, and I had the same message, "Display as a link instead" indeed...

I have uploaded my images to imgur, and I had to choose Direct Link (because this is not Image Link or Markdown Link :D)

Zelda: Breath of the Wild is by far the biggest Zelda game to date, and judging by its development staff count, it’s the biggest Nintendo game to date as well.

Breath of the Wild took four years to develop and employed 300 developers at Nintendo.

That’s according to Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma, who has been working on Zelda games for 20 years.

With that many developers working for that long, it would also most certainly make it the most expensive game Nintendo has ever made.

The game was originally meant to be released on the Wii U in 2015, but Nintendo decided to push it to 2016, and then to 2017 in order to launch with the Switch.

And just to remind you of how vast Breath of the Wild is, here’s a comparison of the game world in Breath of the Wild compared to other Zelda games (and Skyrim):

botwman-640x480.jpg?x74487 

Source: Nintendotoday

Big worlds don't really matter if there is nothing interesting to do in them but so far BotW looks absolutely amazing and I'm confident Nintendo can deliver with this one. Lets hope I can snag a Pro controller at launch, I really don't want to play this game with the joy cons, even in the grip the Switch comes with. 

Parker

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Parker said:

Big worlds don't really matter if there is nothing interesting to do in them but so far BotW looks absolutely amazing and I'm confident Nintendo can deliver with this one. Lets hope I can snag a Pro controller at launch, I really don't want to play this game with the joy cons, even in the grip the Switch comes with.

Case in point, No Man's Sky had loads of worlds but nothing to do. But just like in Skyrim, I think Zelda will sooner have too much content than not enough. I do so hope it will be awesome...

I think I already touched on this but I'm going to try using the double joy controller first, I will try out the pro controller in the store and see which I prefer.