The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch/WiiU) general discussion

Oobedoob S Benubi

Okay, so my wife has given me a gift in preparation for Breath Of The Wild: the book Hyrule Historia :D

I've been reading the timeline a bit more extensively, to see where Breath Of The Wild would fit on the timeline. Here's my guess:

Breath Of The Wild takes place after Ocarina Of Time, in the Adult Era, after Ganondorf is resurrected but before all of Hyrule is sealed and flooded. Link being in stasis is why the Hero Of Time did not appear, and the game chronicles his his last stand against Ganon - but he'll fail and Hyrule will be flooded, or the timeline will feature another split - Wind Waker is where BOTW Link either fails or is not pulled out of stasis, and there will be a new timeline where BOTW Link defeats Ganon.

Other option: Breath Of The Wild takes place after The Adventure Of Link, and the Link we play is the Link from that game. That timeline (Link fails in Ocarina) is constantly trying to resurrect Ganon.

• Like 1

On 22.1.2017 at 0:44 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Playing through A Link To The Past again on my SNES. I can live with Link not having a green tunic but those awesome melodies need to be there, I think.

*vid*

*vid*

*vid*

On 21.1.2017 at 6:17 PM, BillyHorrible said:

So, how do you know in advance if your amiibo will be able to do anything at all in any game? I'm thinking about getting the mega yarn Yoshi, regardless of if it will ever do anything in a Switch game, but other than that I don't know.

The Amiibo concept is... weird.

Amiibos are basicly cheats. For example, in Hyrule Warriors - IIRC - the Zelda Amiibo is healing you, the Link Amiibo gives you bombs and arrows. And all other Amiibos, that are not Zelda related, give you rupees or items.

Also, Nintendo is kind of a bitch... Good luck finding many of them for reasonable prices. Nintendo is always producing too small amounts of everything! 

Then it's sold out within 5 minutes and some assholes are making the big money on ebay.

EXAMPLE: http://www.ebay.at/itm/Super-Mario-Mario-Gold-Amiibo-Edition-Figur-NEU-OVP-NEW-SEALED-/322253511589

On 22.1.2017 at 2:57 AM, Mar said:

What are the essential Zelda games worth playing, especially for story and difficulty (combat, puzzles, boss battles)? Dont list TP, WW, OoT, SS, or MM. I already know those are ranked as the best all time Zelda games. I played but never beat WW and TP. I need to catch up on my Zelda, for BotW, as I only beat Four Swords (..... lel).

I havn't played Four Swords, because I had no friends... v_v

At least the GBA version was a 4 Player game.

Dunno... Link to the Past. Links Awakening. Oracle of Season / Oracle of Ages. ...Something like them, maybe. :D 

On 22.1.2017 at 10:20 PM, SnowxSakura said:

A link to the past is on the virtual console, it only had one version on the snes

I was playing the GBA version. :P

Edited by Neputyunu

7 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

The Amiibo concept is... weird.

Amiibos are basicly cheats. For example, in Hyrule Warriors - IIRC - the Zelda Amiibo is healing you, the Link Amiibo gives you bombs and arrows. And all other Amiibos, that are not Zelda related, give you rupees or items.

Also, Nintendo is kind of a bitch... Good luck finding many of them for reasonable prices. Nintendo is always producing too small amounts of everything! 

Then it's sold out within 5 minutes and some assholes are making the big money on eb

EXAMPLE: http://www.ebay.at/itm/Super-Mario-Mario-Gold-Amiibo-Edition-Figur-NEU-OVP-NEW-SEALED-/322253511589

I havn't played Four Swords, because I had no friends... v_v

At least the GBA version was a 4 Player game.

Dunno... Link to the Past. Links Awakening. Oracle of Season / Oracle of Ages. ...Something like them, maybe. :D 

I was playing the GBA version. :P

In my mind it is better to have a cheat locked behind an amiibo rather than gameplay. Amiibo's as a concept are kind of neat, but I do not really feel compelled to buy them. Currently I have Shovel Knight but have never actually used it for anything. There are some other cool ones that I would not mind having, Toon Link, Mega Man, Duck Hunt.

Yeah, Nintendo typically tries to keep supply down to increase demand. I am not a fan of the practice.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/30/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-aimpossiblea-to-100-percent-complete-in-a-week-says-producer

Apparently their MO during the creation of Breath Of The Wild was just "keep going back and add stuff". I think this is a good thing, seeing how Twilight Princess could feel a bit empty at times and this world is much bigger. They need almost Skyrim levels of stuff and surroundings.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/18/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-backstory-revealed-by-special-edition-map

Don't know how much of this is true but it sounds plausible, not taken into account a few mistranslations.

On 28-1-2017 at 6:18 PM, hugglebunn-e said:

Yeah, Nintendo typically tries to keep supply down to increase demand. I am not a fan of the practice.

I think it has less to do with increasing demand and more with Nintendo just not understanding what demand their stuff will have. People thought of that Classic NES emulator thingie that came out recently that Nintendo produced only a few just to increase demand but it's clear now that they just really underestimated how well it would do, they'd have made much more money if they had just made more of the damn thing.

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I think it has less to do with increasing demand and more with Nintendo just not understanding what demand their stuff will have. People thought of that Classic NES emulator thingie that came out recently that Nintendo produced only a few just to increase demand but it's clear now that they just really underestimated how well it would do, they'd have made much more money if they had just made more of the damn thing.

Maybe maybe. It is hard for me to tell with Nintendo sometimes. My goodness the Classic NES release was a cluster, I am still looking for the Classic NES.

1 minute ago, hugglebunn-e said:

Maybe maybe. It is hard for me to tell with Nintendo sometimes. My goodness the Classic NES release was a cluster, I am still looking for the Classic NES.

Just realised this after my post but a news item today states that Nintendo actually has increased production on the Switch due to demand, I already posted that in the general Switch thread but not here.

I never even saw the Classic NES, the price and it no games being added afterwards meant I was not looking that hard though. I'd prefer to buy the games I actually want on the Switch's Virtual Console and ignore the rest.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I never even saw the Classic NES, the price and it no games being added afterwards meant I was not looking that hard though. I'd prefer to buy the games I actually want on the Switch's Virtual Console and ignore the rest.

I have never actually seen it either. It is truly a rare find.

So, has anyone seen what the amiibo support will be? I have found the following:

Link Rider--BreathWild--????

Zelda--BreathWild--????

Linke Archer--BreathWild--????

Bokoblin--BreathWild--????

Guardian--BreathWild--????

Link--Legend of Zelda--Random # of barrels and a chance at chest with rare item

Zelda--Wind Waker--Random selection of plants and a chance at chest with rare item

Toon Link--Wind Waker--Random amount of fish and a chance at chest with rare item

Link--Ocarina of Time--Random amount of meat and a  chance at chest with rare item

Wolf Link--Twilight Princess--Unlocks Wolf Link

Super Smash Bros Links/Zeldas--????

So it looks like so far Wolf Link is the only amiibo worth getting. 

On 20/01/2017 at 1:37 PM, Neputyunu said:

@Super-Fly Spider-Guy

There is "A Link Between Worlds" for 3DS, which is like 20€, because it's part of the "Nintendo Selects" series.

You can jump into any Zelda you want, and basicly nobody knows how to put them together anyway. :P 

There are multiple theories about the Zelda-timeline, and even that one from Nintendo isn't really satisfying or detailed.

At first, you need to know that the games are out-of-order. Like the Star Wars movies.

Second, you need to know, that there was, for the whole timeline concept, an event at the end of Ocarina of Time (at least in the head of the creators), that splitted the timeline into three sub timelines.

...So, it doesn't really matter where to start.

naZcf.jpg

I just noticed a mistake in that image. Both the left and the right lines are when Link defeats Ganondorf. Link is sent back to his child years; the left continues the child timeline and the right is the adult timeline where no Hero rises up when Ganondorf is resurrected. Here's the (current) official one, from the book Hyrule Historia:

Timeline_Hyrule_Historia.jpg

On 31/01/2017 at 4:58 PM, hugglebunn-e said:

I have never actually seen it either. It is truly a rare find.

So, has anyone seen what the amiibo support will be? I have found the following:

Link Rider--BreathWild--????

Zelda--BreathWild--????

Linke Archer--BreathWild--????

Bokoblin--BreathWild--????

Guardian--BreathWild--????

Link--Legend of Zelda--Random # of barrels and a chance at chest with rare item

Zelda--Wind Waker--Random selection of plants and a chance at chest with rare item

Toon Link--Wind Waker--Random amount of fish and a chance at chest with rare item

Link--Ocarina of Time--Random amount of meat and a  chance at chest with rare item

Wolf Link--Twilight Princess--Unlocks Wolf Link

Super Smash Bros Links/Zeldas--????

So it looks like so far Wolf Link is the only amiibo worth getting. 

My guess is Nintendo never thought the damn NES Classic would be so popular (me neither), what with its high price and just about all of those games being available on the Virtual Console iterations.

They could have made a killing if they had released more of them, now a lot of profit goes to those asses who buy up stock and resell it.

Personally I'd mostly get amiibo as statuettes, mainly in doubt about mega yarn Yoshi, Bowser and BOTW Link.

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

My guess is Nintendo never thought the damn NES Classic would be so popular (me neither), what with its high price and just about all of those games being available on the Virtual Console iterations.

They could have made a killing if they had released more of them, now a lot of profit goes to those asses who buy up stock and resell it.

Personally I'd mostly get amiibo as statuettes, mainly in doubt about mega yarn Yoshi, Bowser and BOTW Link.

I actually managed to grab the MiniNes this morning. Super excited. The other customer actually got into a little tiff and the salt just filled my heart.

Yeah those are some neat looking amiibos. I really like the Bowser one I saw it at Best Buy the other day for like $6 or so. I really like the Duck Hunt and Mega Man ones, super neat.

12 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cringe...

Meh... I hate this word thaaaaat much...

You have a good time or do something unregular (having fun, maybe) and someone comes at you like "blah, grow up!" or "cringe..."

Boooooring! <_< 

On 31.1.2017 at 3:28 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Nintendo doesn't care about more money.

Amiibos are, like Pokemon, a money printer. But they don't care about satisfying the demand.

Want the Wolf-Link Amiibo? Here: http://www.ebay.at/itm/Wolf-Link-amiibo-20-Herzen-20-Hearts-Level-40-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-/292013597009

Also I want to remember you about him: http://www.ebay.at/itm/Nintendo-Amiibo-Super-Mario-Gold-limited-edition-NEU-und-Verpackt-US-Version-/132076722248

Edited by Neputyunu

I'm seeing in the poll that I made that most PSNP members who have pre-ordered the Switch (and who have voted in the poll) are indeed getting Zelda for launch. I know, big surprise, but I'm now wondering if Breath Of The Wild will have what it takes to overthrow Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess as the best-selling Zelda games of all time. It has opportunity thanks to being one of the biggest Switch titles for all of 2017, let's hope it has content as well...

The game actually seems to have a secret ending, by the way, and Epona seems to make a return...

http://pt.ign.com/the-legend-of-zelda-2017-nintendo-nx/38698/news/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-tem-um-final-alternat?utm_source=recirc

English translation by Google:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild presents one of the biggest transformations to the 'Zelda model' in recent history, with the transition to a [truly] open world, still continuing the same adventure game we learned to love, with a story Previously set to count.

One of the interesting things the famous producer / director, Eiji Aonuma, revealed to us during a recent talk in Munich is related to the fact that there are at least two endings for the adventure in Breath of the Wild.

It's not as if Zelda suddenly began to offer us alternative choices or paths, but in Breath of the Wild, there will be the normal ending, then another, only achievable if we meet certain type / number of conditions:

"There is an alternate ending if you meet certain criteria. If you do a few things, you may see a different ending," Aonuma revealed.

Do not miss the full interview with Mr. Aonuma soon here at IGN Portugal, where among other things confirmed the presence of Link's legendary companion Epona and introduced us to a golf-style mini-game that uses an item called Stasis Rune.

5 hours ago, Neputyunu said:

Meh... I hate this word thaaaaat much...

You have a good time or do something unregular (having fun, maybe) and someone comes at you like "blah, grow up!" or "cringe..."

Boooooring! <_< 

it has nothing to do with irregularity, it's just narmy. It seems like they did one take and didn't even look at the footage to see what they could have done better. I'm all for having fun but let's try to be semi-professional when it comes to making short films, please.

4 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

It seems like they did one take and didn't even look at the footage to see what they could have done better. I'm all for having fun but let's try to be semi-professional when it comes to making short films, please.

That's one of the things I like and appreciate about Nintendo and their products - they don't always feel the need to take themselves super seriously. The self irony (is that a word in English?) shines when the director & producer himself appears in apparently very high budget promotion clips. :giggle:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eyjabria said:

That's one of the things I like and appreciate about Nintendo and their products - they don't always feel the need to take themselves super seriously. The self irony (is that a word in English?) shines when the director & producer himself appears in apparently very high budget promotion clips. :giggle:

To each their own. I understand the self-deprecation, I just feel like it's narmy rather than funny.

Nintendo just announced an Expansion Pass for Breath of the Wild:

Nintendo has announced an “Expansion Pass” for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which will be available for $19.99 and grant players access to two sets of downloadable content for the game due out this summer and holiday, respectively.

The downloadable content sets are the first-ever in development for a mainline Legend of Zelda series title. Here is what we know so far:

• Content Pack #1 (Summer 2017) – Adds a “Cave of Trials” challenge, a new hard mode, and a new feature for the in-game map.
  • Content Pack #2 (Holiday 2017) – Adds new challenges that will let players enjoy a new dungeon and new original story.

The content packs will be available for both the Switch and Wii U versions of the game, and cannot be purchased individually (in other words, they’re only available in the Expansion Pass).

Immediately upon pre-purchase or purchase of the Expansion Pass, three new treasure chests will appear in the game’s “Great Plateau” area. One of these treasure chests will contain a shirt with a Nintendo Switch logo that Link can wear during his adventure, exclusive to the Expansion Pass. The other two will deliver “useful items.”

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/legend-zelda-breath-wild-expansion-pass-announced

There's also a trailer regarding the pass:

Spoiler

Honestly, some of the content of this Expansion Pass seems kinda unnecessary. A new Hard Mode? Why not add it to the base game for free? The same for the map-feature (whatever it is). New challenges/dungeons sound like a typical DLC, though.

Edited by Crimson Idol

7 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Nintendo just announced an Expansion Pass for Breath of the Wild:

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/legend-zelda-breath-wild-expansion-pass-announced

There's also a trailer regarding the pass:

Hide contents

Honestly, some of the content of this Expansion Pass seems kinda unnecessary. A new Hard Mode? Why not add it to the base game for free? The same for the map-feature (whatever it is). New challenges/dungeons sound like a typical DLC, though.

Well, Nintendo seemed already to be aiming for hardcore gamers a bit more, and making you pay for hard mode is right up there :) The Zelda games never have different difficulties within the game though, so hiding it behind a paywall might be better for the casual gamers as well.

I would only be interested if the new story thing in the last update is something big. Looking at the expansion pass contents, that story bit seems to be the real reason the pass is there to begin with.

P.S> @Crimson Idol the website you cite has less info than the actual reveal; there is a little bit of content available for expansion pass owners starting day one.

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, Nintendo seemed already to be aiming for hardcore gamers a bit more, and making you pay for hard mode is right up there :) The Zelda games never have different difficulties within the game though, so hiding it behind a paywall might be better for the casual gamers as well.

That's actually not true. IIRC at least the newer games (starting from Skyward Sword) tend to have the so-called hero mode which either unlocks once you finished the game once or it's available right from the start. And Master Quest could also be counted as a Hard Mode for Ocarina of Time. It's more or less the same game with a few things altered. Still I wonder if this will be a second alternative difficulty or if it will replace the normal Hero Mode.

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

P.S> @Crimson Idol the website you cite has less info than the actual reveal; there is a little bit of content available for expansion pass owners starting day one.

My bad. I just looked at the original news and it seems like I cropped too much. Fixed it.