The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch/WiiU) general discussion

Oobedoob S Benubi

Quite a few previews have found their way onto Metacritic as well (I know I know, grades are a thing of the past and we should all just drop them, but Metacritic does do a nice job of collecting reviews).

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/critic-reviews

Seems like at least one more reviewer other than Polygon found themselves dying often (which is something that likely not every reviewer will be willing to admit when it happens), and several reviewers compare the game to the Soulsborne series either consciously or subconsciously by talking about story through gameplay and learning how the game works through playing yourself.

Personally, I don't find this all that surprising since the Souls series has always felt like a tough semi-horror version of Zelda to me.

Can talk now for a little bit since I'm waiting for my wife to get ready for Snipperclips.

Zelda is amazing. I finished the first shrine, looked around a bit before. Amongst other things, I immediately climbed up after exiting the cave I started in, I went to the temple, and I found one of the Korok.

After that I went on to play Fast RMX because I figured I could play Zelda with the missus at home, but she wouldn't appreciate the music from Fast RMX.

Had a wee little bit of a framerate drop when I was turning the camera just after exiting the cave but nothing after that.

Yep amazing amazing game, I've said it before but already by far my favorite open world game of all time, I love how you can interact with everything with minimal restrictions and it actually means something and Link's new powers are amazing, tbh I would say it's already my fav game of all time :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blazeaire said:

Yep amazing amazing game, I've said it before but already by far my favorite open world game of all time, I love how you can interact with everything with minimal restrictions and it actually means something and Link's new powers are amazing, tbh I would say it's already my fav game of all time :D

I'm only at Kakariko village now but yeah, I'm beginning to see why you love it so much.

I was hesitant to let the game in at first but it might become best game ever for me too. It shows me how outdated some of the older traditions of Zelda were (rupees from cutting grass for instance), this really is a Zelda for the new age. I definitely like it more than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and if it manages to keep pulling me in like this it will even dethrone Ocarina by the end.

Powerful stuff...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm only at Kakariko village now but yeah, I'm beginning to see why you love it so much.

I was hesitant to let the game in at first but it might become best game ever for me too. It shows me how outdated some of the older traditions of Zelda were (rupees from cutting grass for instance), this really is a Zelda for the new age. I definitely like it more than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and if it manages to keep pulling me in like this it will even dethrone Ocarina by the end.

Powerful stuff...

Lol I'm exactly where you're up to but yeah I love the rupee change too, finally they're worth something and actually valuable instead of having 999 useless rupees by the end.

I also love the dispensable weapons system despite having initial reservations, it makes so you're not stuck with the same stuff over and over and encourages more variety, just wish we could have more weapon slots but I'm sure that will come later. 

Oh and I already bought the DLC and just went out and bought the wolf link amiibo just so I can have the wolf companion, you got me Nintendo :shakefist:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

I also love the dispensable weapons system despite having initial reservations, it makes so you're not stuck with the same stuff over and over and encourages more variety, just wish we could have more weapon slots but I'm sure that will come later. 

I already have two more weapon slots, you want to know how or do you want to figure it out on your own?

Oh and I already bought the DLC and just went out and bought the wolf link amiibo just so I can have the wolf companion, you got me Nintendo :shakefist:

:)

I'm not buying amiibo specifically for an in-game item or character, I'm only buying them for the statuettes they are. I love that my Link has given me Epona in-game, though, how awesome is that... 

OmKDJER.jpg

Talked about that in another thread, I stumbled upon a site explaining how to get Epona (I was actually googling something else entirely) and realised they were talking about the amiibo I actually bought that same day!

I don't dare bring Epona out of the stables though, too afraid she'll die...

I'm not buying the Zelda DLC until peers have told me how good the last pack is. I only care about the story expansion.

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I already have two more weapon slots, you want to know how or do you want to figure it out on your own?

:)

I'm not buying amiibo specifically for an in-game item or character, I'm only buying them for the statuettes they are. I love that my Link has given me Epona in-game, though, how awesome is that... 

OmKDJER.jpg

Talked about that in another thread, I stumbled upon a site explaining how to get Epona (I was actually googling something else entirely) and realised they were talking about the amiibo I actually bought that same day!

I don't dare bring Epona out of the stables though, too afraid she'll die...

I'm not buying the Zelda DLC until peers have told me how good the last pack is. I only care about the story expansion.

Oh nah it's alright, I just googled it and it doesn't seem too bad lol, tbh I've been trying to take it slow so I can enjoy the world more but it's too addictive and fun! :lol:

Yeah I already have a few amiibo before just cuz I liked the characters but this is the first time I bought one specifically for the in game bonuses haha, btw you know you can capture screenshots right? :P Love the bandana your Link is wearing :awesome:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Oh nah it's alright, I just googled it and it doesn't seem too bad lol, tbh I've been trying to take it slow so I can enjoy the world more but it's too addictive and fun! :lol:

Spoiler

Well then, didn't you find the big maracas fellow on the road to Kokiri? Or did you not have any Korok seeds?

If there's a different way to expand the inventore you googled, don't tell me, I'll find out on my own.

Yeah I already have a few amiibo before just cuz I liked the characters but this is the first time I bought one specifically for the in game bonuses haha, btw you know you can capture screenshots right? :P 

That is a captured screenshot, but unless I want to use a USB stick and boot up my computer, taking a picture with my phone seems to be the best way of posting it here.

I dread the day that I'll buy an amiibo for an in-game bonus, it will likely happen at some point though.

Love the bandana your Link is wearing :awesome:

I'm conflicted about the bandana :)

It's the only headgear I have found as of yet though so I'll wear it for the climbing bonus.

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well then, didn't you find the big maracas fellow on the road to Kokiri? Or did you not have any Korok seeds?

If there's a different way to expand the inventore you googled, don't tell me, I'll find out on my own.

That is a captured screenshot, but unless I want to use a USB stick and boot up my computer, taking a picture with my phone seems to be the best way of posting it here.

I dread the day that I'll buy an amiibo for an in-game bonus, it will likely happen at some point though.

I'm conflicted about the bandana :)

It's the only headgear I have found as of yet though so I'll wear it for the climbing bonus.

I think I just missed him completely haha, think it was raining when I was going up there

Oh yeah fair enough I just share it to my private twitter since no one sees anyway and copy it from there like so :lol:

C6EkBplUYAAK0c2.jpg

I'm just using the gear I bought at the clothes shop in Kakariko, they were expensive, luckily I had lots of material to sell lol

Really enjoying these Korok puzzles all kver the place, it's so obvious that there should be something done when you see them but it still manages to be subtle, in a way...

I'm bugged by that circle thing in the clearing near Kokoriko Village, at the end of the path next to the Shrine. It's obvious I should get a metal ball in there but I can't find it.

Searching for the fairy fountain right now. Thought I'd start with checking the start of the waterfall behind Impa's house.

Edited by BillyHorrible

10 hours ago, blazeaire said:

Oh yeah fair enough I just share it to my private twitter since no one sees anyway and copy it from there like so :lol:

Waiting for the rain to pass so I created a bogus second twitter account, to post the pictures on, save to my phone, delete tweet abd upload to imgur.

b7Zv1pZh.jpg

Going up the mountains behind Impa. There's... Something... On that tallest one, can't make out what from below. Perhaps just a lonely traveler.

Still wearing the bandana (it's as thick as the Hylian hood and this one has the added bonus of better climbing), but I bought the Hylian tunic as well. I had already found the trouses somewhere else. Currentlt have a soldier's shield and broadsword on my back. Not really using bows much thoguh I do have a few good ones.

P.S. haven't found a real fishing minigame yet but I did kill a few big fish in a pond when I threw a bomb in xD

Edited by BillyHorrible

1 hour ago, blazeaire said:

Oh wow the combat system is deeper then I thought, you can block, charge up attacks, Bayonetta dodge and even Dark Souls parry haha, so good :D 

Looks like someone found the shrine near Kokoriko Village :)

Charge up attack is a Zelda classic and it's the first thing I tried to do after picking up the branch in the beginning. I was surprised by much of the other stuff though, especially that a dodge could slow down time. I usually don't dodge, I just go all-out on attack in most games I play :)

I'd advise everyone to check out the mountaintops around Kokoriko. A fair few have something you'd appreciate, and (hint, hint) you might get a good view... I saw something weird that turned out to be the Great Fairy Fountain - funny enough, I had already been very close but I missed it earlier on.

All I did yesterday was in and around Kokoriko, today I'll go to the next village on the list.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2017 at 9:48 AM, BillyHorrible said:

Okay, so my wife has given me a gift in preparation for Breath Of The Wild: the book Hyrule Historia :D

I've been reading the timeline a bit more extensively, to see where Breath Of The Wild would fit on the timeline. Here's my guess:

Breath Of The Wild takes place after Ocarina Of Time, in the Adult Era, after Ganondorf is resurrected but before all of Hyrule is sealed and flooded. Link being in stasis is why the Hero Of Time did not appear, and the game chronicles his his last stand against Ganon - but he'll fail and Hyrule will be flooded, or the timeline will feature another split - Wind Waker is where BOTW Link either fails or is not pulled out of stasis, and there will be a new timeline where BOTW Link defeats Ganon.

Other option: Breath Of The Wild takes place after The Adventure Of Link, and the Link we play is the Link from that game. That timeline (Link fails in Ocarina) is constantly trying to resurrect Ganon.

So, don't read what's below unless you have at least spoken to Impa.

Spoiler

This Link is a new Link after all, because he was put into stasis after something that we never saw in any game. Also, it's ten thousand years after some other Link fought Ganon with Zelda in between an army of Guardians, which we've also never seen.

So, where do these stories fit? Technically it could be before Ocarina, I guess - if I recall correctly the Temple Of Time was rebuilt at some point but somehow I don't think it's that early.

If we count amiibo information, then Epona is known as the Horse Of Legend so it's definitely after Ocarina, and most likely after the adult timeline where Link wins.

I still think the odds of a pre-flood Hyrule in that timeline are pretty decent.

I also still think it could be that we're in the "Link fails in Ocarina" timeline, because like I said, that timeline is constantly trying to resurrect Ganon, mostly in a beast form.

New thought: it's the adult "Link wins" timeline, but after Spirit Tracks - that could be the Hyrule of technological advancement from ten thousand years ago that eventually creates the Guardians.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Looks like someone found the shrine near Kokoriko Village :)

Charge up attack is a Zelda classic and it's the first thing I tried to do after picking up the branch in the beginning. I was surprised by much of the other stuff though, especially that a dodge could slow down time. I usually don't dodge, I just go all-out on attack in most games I play :)

I'd advise everyone to check out the mountaintops around Kokoriko. A fair few have something you'd appreciate, and (hint, hint) you might get a good view... I saw something weird that turned out to be the Great Fairy Fountain - funny enough, I had already been very close but I missed it earlier on.

All I did yesterday was in and around Kokoriko, today I'll go to the next village on the list.

Haha yeah, well after playing games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne where dodging and parrying is pretty much essential it's cool to have something similar here.

Yeah I found the Great Fairy Fountain too and managed to find the place to dye my clothes, now Link is all orange, my fav color :D

C6IyhgoU8AE0lXU.jpg

• Like 1

Haha yeah, well after playing games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne where dodging and parrying is pretty much essential it's cool to have something similar here.

Yeah I found the Great Fairy Fountain too and managed to find the place to dye my clothes, now Link is all orange, my fav color :D

C6IyhgoU8AE0lXU.jpg

Oh no, that simply won't do.  Orange isn't cannon at all.  Green or bust. /s

40 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

C6IyhgoU8AE0lXU.jpg

35 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Oh no, that simply won't do.  Orange isn't cannon at all.  Green or bust. /s

Coolstuff, haven't found it myself yet. Don't know if I'm actually going to bother with dye but it's nice to have the option.

I switched to the Hylian hood by the way, could upgrade that one's stats but not the bandana (without having to look for ingredients) so I'm doing hood now, bandana only if I'm about to climb.

17 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Coolstuff, haven't found it myself yet. Don't know if I'm actually going to bother with dye but it's nice to have the option.

I switched to the Hylian hood by the way, could upgrade that one's stats but not the bandana (without having to look for ingredients) so I'm doing hood now, bandana only if I'm about to climb.

I also switched to the hood.  Like you, I'll don the bandanna when the need arises.  

So what is everyones shrine count at?  I just finished 

Spoiler

the two on the dueling peaks and the one in Kakariko village.

so my count is up to 12.  I'm splitting my upgrades hearts, stamina, hearts, etc.  

also, if anyone could give me pointers on how to get the second chest in 

Spoiler

the wind shrine (the one on the right near the end)

I'd appreciate it.

Edited by angelgrievous

1 minute ago, angelgrievous said:

I also switched to the hood.  Like you, I'll don the bandanna when the need arises.  

Reveal hidden contents

so my count is up to 12.  I'm splitting my upgrades hearts, stamina, hearts, etc.  

I see what you did there :)

Shrine count: I'm on eight.

Spoiler

The four on the plateau, two right on the way to Kokoriko (one under the duelling mountains, one after it with the spikes), the one next to Kokoriko, and one beyond the Kokoriko mountains, with flowers around it.

I've only done two hearts yet, felt like that was more important than stamina right now.

I found abunch of Korok by now,which I think are among the funniest exploration subjects to be found.

I feel like the game is a little bit empty. Not "No Man's Sky" empty where nothing happens at all, but "Red Dead Redemption" empty where just like in real life, there's a lot of non-important stuff in between the actual stuff, in contrast to Witcher III where you can't walk half a mile without running into a haunted well or witch cabin.

What I am trying to say is, for me Breath Of The Wild is the good kind of empty, because it makes when you find something (and you will) much more rewarding. So... Not half-empty but half-full, I guess? :hmm:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blazeaire said:

C6IyhgoU8AE0lXU.jpg

2 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

D3dhtpBh.jpg

All my clothes have been upped once. I'm trying to get to my lowest weapons and shields first, they're going to be thrown away if I ever find something new anyway.

Except for one axe, torch, spear, hammer and boomerang, of course. They have their additional uses. Just talking about the swords, clubs and anything I have double.

2 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Hide contents

I'd appreciate it.

Missed this edit at first. Haven't been there.

I myself don't know what to do with 

Spoiler

what's on top of the big mountain behind Impa's house. Not the one in the middle of the water but the one behind it. It's just a sword in a stone but the addition of the frog statue made me think something special needed to be done there, perhaps a Korok...

Also, has any of you figured put a use for sapphires, opals and such? Are they just to sell and make a lot of money on or do you have to use them for something?

Edit: woops, I've run over a crane bird with my horse :blink:

I've hunted a few of them yesterday but somehow this just seems sad.

Also: everyone has figured out how to find fairies, right?

Edited by BillyHorrible

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

D3dhtpBh.jpg

All my clothes have been upped once. I'm trying to get to my lowest weapons and shields first, they're going to be thrown away if I ever find something new anyway.

Except for one axe, torch, spear, hammer and boomerang, of course. They have their additional uses. Just talking about the swords, clubs and anything I have double.

Missed this edit at first. Haven't been there.

I myself don't know what to do with 

Reveal hidden contents

what's on top of the big mountain behind Impa's house. Not the one in the middle of the water but the one behind it. It's just a sword in a stone but the addition of the frog statue made me think something special needed to be done there, perhaps a Korok...

Also, has any of you figured put a use for sapphires, opals and such? Are they just to sell and make a lot of money on or do you have to use them for something?

Edit: woops, I've run over a crane bird with my horse :blink:

I've hunted a few of them yesterday but somehow this just seems sad.

Also: everyone has figured out how to find fairies, right?

Apparently later in the game you can use those gems to make gear so I wouldn't sell them even though they're the best way to make rupees and I need more :( I've just been exploring random areas now and ran into some shrines that are waaaay too strong for me lol not to metion those machine spider things that shoots lasers at you, died so much :facepalm:

5 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I'd appreciate it.

So, I was on my way from Kokoriko to the other town. Still not there though I've been playing for hours. Came at a large gate, a little bit further on I noticed a big mountain tableau that was bound to have stuff on it, so I decided to walk around and get up there... Long story short, I'm up on the Duelling mountains now xD

Just now, blazeaire said:

Apparently later in the game you can use those gems to make gear so I wouldn't sell them even though they're the best way to make rupees and I need more :( I've just been exploring random areas now and ran into some shrines that are waaaay too strong for me lol not to metion those machine spider things that shoots lasers at you, died so much :facepalm:

Thanks for the info, I'll keep them for now. I've been exploring as well but haven't seen much that was beyond me. I just killed a bear... With about a dozen bombs. Also found a big skeleton of... Something.