The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (Switch/WiiU) general discussion

Oobedoob S Benubi

24 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Apparently later in the game you can use those gems to make gear so I wouldn't sell them even though they're the best way to make rupees and I need more :( I've just been exploring random areas now and ran into some shrines that are waaaay too strong for me lol not to metion those machine spider things that shoots lasers at you, died so much :facepalm:

Like blaze said I too think they're for weapons or armor later in the games thought I'm not 100%.  I keep 15 of each and sell the rest.  I figure more will come along but right now I need arrows and bugs.

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

D3dhtpBh.jpg

Also: everyone has figured out how to find fairies, right?

I have not found any fairies, no.  

Edited by angelgrievous

3 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Like blaze said I too think they're for weapons or armor later in the games thought I'm not 100%.  I keep 15 of each and sell the rest.  I figure more will come along but right now I need arrows and bugs.

Bugs? What are you doing, making elixirs or something? xD

3 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I have not found any fairies, no.  

Want two tips?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

yeah

On fairies:

Spoiler

Near Kokoriko Village, it's said there is a Great Fairy Fountain. Find it, and you'll find a few fairies as well. I expect other Fountains to have fairies around them as well.

Sometimes fairies hide in the grass and show up when you cut the grass, like crickets and lizards. Only spot where I found fairies in the grass was high up around Kokoriko, but perhaps I just had too many now (4) for the game to give me any more.

Fairies can be caught normally, no need for bottles! :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillyHorrible said:

On fairies:

Hide contents

Near Kokoriko Village, it's said there is a Great Fairy Fountain. Find it, and you'll find a few fairies as well. I expect other Fountains to have fairies around them as well.

Sometimes fairies hide in the grass and show up when you cut the grass, like crickets and lizards. Only spot where I found fairies in the grass was high up around Kokoriko, but perhaps I just had too many now (4) for the game to give me any more.

Fairies can be caught normally, no need for bottles! :)

ahhh, thanks for this.  About to play now.

Did someone say... Dark Souls?

Seriously, do not open this spoiler if you want to find out everything for yourself.

Spoiler

So yeah... I was exploring, about to go to the plateau I saw this morning which was too tall to climb directly (so I spent today walking around to it, even getting to the peaks of the duelling mountains again). I even saw a dragon before...

Anyway, I climb up this small plateau, and this rock golem turns to life and starts throwing arms at me.

The in-game timer is correct - I spent the better part of an in-game day battling the golem. I used a combination of climbing up and throwing bombs, and shooting fire arrows. Also, some defense-up food for safety.

WZisLIA.jpg

ICH0yQSh.jpg

2GkfYArh.jpg

q4QdMFVh.jpg

xiiW9Mth.jpg

It's so cool, discovering stuff like this... Can't wait to see what else is out there!

I love this new Zelda approach. Previously, you were sure that you'd get a new weapon halfway through a dungeon and you would need it to defeat a boss at the end of the dungeon.

Now, you don't know what's out there and what you have to be ready for...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blazeaire said:

Haha yeah, well after playing games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne where dodging and parrying is pretty much essential it's cool to have something similar here.

Yeah I found the Great Fairy Fountain too and managed to find the place to dye my clothes, now Link is all orange, my fav color :D

C6IyhgoU8AE0lXU.jpg

10 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

Oh no, that simply won't do.  Orange isn't cannon at all.  Green or bust. /s

gmTDUhNh.jpg

xD

Take note that I didn't dye the pants green as well (you have to do everything you're wearing at once), it looks right like this. Though I must say that I liked the blue clothes Links was wearing in all those trailers as well. I checked through all the dyes and decided that foe these clothes, green was the best though didn't have a bright blue option. It was this or black.

P.S. how they dye your clothes is hilarious.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

gmTDUhNh.jpg

xD

Take note that I didn't dye the pants green as well (you have to do everything you're wearing at once), it looks right like this. Though I must say that I liked the blue clothes Links was wearing in all those trailers as well. I checked through all the dyes and decided that foe these clothes, green was the best though didn't have a bright blue option. It was this or black.

alright, where do the dyes come from?  I must know.

8 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Have you followed the main quest after Kokoriko?

Well, I was just told to 

Spoiler

seek out the four races and I'm currently on my way to Heneto? village.  

so probably there right?  I'm just taking the scenic route:D

Edited by angelgrievous

8 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Well, I was just told to 

Reveal hidden contents

seek out the four races and I'm currently on my way to Heneto? village.  

so probably there right?  I'm just taking the scenic route:D

Yeah, you'll notice it on your own eventually then :)

I took the scenic route as well, note my big spoiler post before the clothes one :D

Just finished my first 'major' dungeon and wow the puzzles keep getting better and better capped off with an epic boss fight <3

Actually wanted to ask you guys, do you enjoy the 'puzzling' or the 'combat' aspects more? I feel the puzzles are more unique to Zelda games but the combat is so good too in this game and definitely the best I've ever played in an open world game but ultimately I think the puzzles win out since that requires thinking and you can do them at any level unlike combat where you do need upgrades to face certain enemies as I've found numerous times lol

2 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Just finished my first 'major' dungeon and wow the puzzles keep getting better and better capped off with an epic boss fight <3

Actually wanted to ask you guys, do you enjoy the 'puzzling' or the 'combat' aspects more? I feel the puzzles are more unique to Zelda games but the combat is so good too in this game and definitely the best I've ever played in an open world game but ultimately I think the puzzles win out since that requires thinking and you can do them at any level unlike combat where you do need upgrades to face certain enemies as I've found numerous times lol

I used to play Zelda mainly for the exploring/story/puzzles, this is the first Zelda game that can add combat to that combination. I like the full package in this game, levelling up for bigger fights while exploring for puzzles.

Also spoilers, there are still big dungeons in this game? Peobably to do with the four guardians then but I don't want to know.

wZCgWDUh.jpg

I tamed a single colored horse :)

His name... Tornado.

P.S. yeah I switched to the champion's shirt... Meaning I'm on blue now. My hood is back to its original color, my climbing/cold gear is still green. Might be cool to do a theme coloring like that, so I would think of another color if I ever get heat resistant clothing.

5 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm intruding here as I'm on the Wii U version. With that said, everything that makes Zelda unique is back on a major scale, the switch will be mine in the future.

I don't think I knew at the moment of creating this thread that it was also a WiiU game :) will update the title. Glad you're liking it.

12 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

wZCgWDUh.jpg

I tamed a single colored horse :)

His name... Tornado.

P.S. yeah I switched to the champion's shirt... Meaning I'm on blue now. My hood is back to its original color, my climbing/cold gear is still green. Might be cool to do a theme coloring like that, so I would think of another color if I ever get heat resistant clothing.

Nice, I assume you need more stamina to tame the single colored ones? I mash L to no avail everytime I try lol

30 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I don't think I knew at the moment of creating this thread that it was also a WiiU game :) will update the title. Glad you're liking it.

I'm willing to say it's a dream come true for many Zelda fans.

Edited by Z1MZUM

57 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Nice, I assume you need more stamina to tame the single colored ones? I mash L to no avail everytime I try lol

Yeah first horse I tried while taking something for extra stamina I had cooked was a success.

56 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

I'm willing to say it's a dream come true for many Zelda fans.

Agreed. I thought @blazeaire was exaggerating when declaring it best game evah but I'm in that corner now as well. It's funny because I only liked platformers and racing games until Ocarina Of Time came around.

Also, decided to try to go for the Guardians now. Felt like riding to the airship first since I could already see that one. A few distractions later and now I'm at the Zoras...

Edited by BillyHorrible

I'm not even that big of a fan of Zelda before this tbh, only played mostly the 2D ones and OoT but have no problem in saying this is definitely my fav game ever with only something like Persona 5 possibly topping it since I prefer RPGs over anything else but still the best open world game I've ever played, I'm playing Horizon currently aswell and even as good as that is, it does not compare to BoTW and the sheer variety of things you can do.

57 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah first horse I tried while taking something for extra stamina I had cooked was a success.

Agreed. I thought @blazeaire was exaggerating when declaring it best game evah but I'm in that corner now as well. It's funny because I only liked platformers and racing games until Ocarina Of Time came around.

Also, decided to try to go for the Guardians now. Felt like riding to the airship first since I could already see that one. A few distractions later and now I'm at the Zoras...

Nice, I just did the Zoras one first too, it's really good! one helpful tip without getting too much into spoilers,  you don't have to fight a certain something if you can't/don't want to :P

13 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

I'm not even that big of a fan of Zelda before this tbh, only played mostly the 2D ones and OoT but have no problem in saying this is definitely my fav game ever with only something like Persona 5 possibly topping it since I prefer RPGs over anything else but still the best open world game I've ever played, I'm playing Horizon currently aswell and even as good as that is, it does not compare to BoTW and the sheer variety of things you can do.

Yeah I keep thinking about Sean "No Man's Sky" Murray claiming that his game was all about exploring, and people complaining that exploring has no use if there's nothing to find... Think BOTW handled it a lot better. As in both are extremes on opposing sides of the spectrum better.

13 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Nice, I just did the Zoras one first too, it's really good! one helpful tip without getting too much into spoilers,  you don't have to fight a certain something if you can't/don't want to :P

Spoiler

I now have been tlld about the lynel, figure you must've been talking about that one. Yeah, I'm not going to try that, one found me while I was looking for a memory place and I don't think I'm up for it yet. Anyway they never said kill, they implied thatI should just let him fire arrow after arrow and pick them up until I have enough.

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I keep thinking about Sean "No Man's Sky" Murray claiming that his game was all about exploring, and people complaining that exploring has no use if there's nothing to find... Think BOTW handled it a lot better. As in both are extremes on opposing sides of the spectrum better.

Reveal hidden contents

I now have been tlld about the lynel, figure you must've been talking about that one. Yeah, I'm not going to try that, one found me while I was looking for a memory place and I don't think I'm up for it yet. Anyway they never said kill, they implied thatI should just let him fire arrow after arrow and pick them up until I have enough.

Spoiler

Haha yeah I didn't realize and died like half a dozen times before giving up and looking up online only to see you didn't have to kill :lol: Well make sure you take a photo of it though for a side quest that gives you some cool pants that makes you swim faster

7 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Hide contents

Haha yeah I didn't realize and died like half a dozen times before giving up and looking up online only to see you didn't have to kill :lol: Well make sure you take a photo of it though for a side quest that gives you some cool pants that makes you swim faster

Spoilers! And I'm making pictures of everything, I remember all too well that I couldn't get all statues in Wind Waker because I had defeated a few bosses while not having a good enough picture of them...