Multi-Platform Games Best on Vita?

B1rvine

So, I recently got a Vita. I'm already familiar with some of the system's awesome exclusives, which I'll get.  Unlike most trophy hunters, I really only want to get a game once, rather than platinum it 3 times on 3 different systems, and I'd like to get the games that work best on Vita when I have a choice.  So, for the multi-platform games that are also on PS3 / PS4 as well as Vita, are there any known games that really excel on the system over the others? I don't care if they share a list or not either. (ie, Tearaway > Tearaway Unfolded)

Thanks in advance!

Well just thinking of the hardware specs, and my own personal experience, I doubt any game will actually perform better on the Vita than the PS3 and/or PS4 like you're asking. I'm sure some games might be pretty close though given the nature of the game. The ones I can think of that might be like this would be Child of Light, Dragon Fantasy Book 1 and Dragon Fantasy Book 2. There might be others but those are the main ones I can think of right now.

Edited by GalrenStormbow
  • Like 1

The Vita is fantastic for indie games. They may be available on almost any other platform, but they really excel on a handheld. There's no real advantage to playing them on a console since they aren't exactly resource intensive games in the first place, and I find the smaller screen of the Vita helps me to keep track of what is going on in the game better. Then of course there's the whole portability thing, meaning you can take it with you wherever you go.

Some examples would be games like Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami, Velocity 2X, and The Binding of Isaac. There are tons more of course, but I'd be here all day. :giggle:

EDIT: Oh, and there's rhythm games too! They're pretty much perfect for handheld gaming. I also find I'm much better at them when playing on Vita instead of on PS3/PS4. I'd definitely recommend playing the Hatsune Miku: Project Diva games on Vita. They're awesome! :D

DOUBLE EDIT: Visual Novels!!! How could I forget!? :lol: Playing on a console just feels wrong now I know how good they are on Vita. 

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 2

I always find Visual Novels best to be played on Vita.

Aside from those, like others says Indies.

Project Diva Games are also best to play in Vita than console IMO(well, those HD quality in PS4 is very very very tempting though).

Oh! And Odin Sphere. I loved playing it on Vita.

Edited by JaM
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Oh, and there's rhythm games too! They're pretty much perfect for handheld gaming. I also find I'm much better at them when playing on Vita instead of on PS3/PS4. I'd definitely recommend playing the Hatsune Miku: Project Diva games on Vita. They're awesome! :D

I found Diva F on PS3 easier actually... Because it had smoother fps but still felt like the symbols would come inside slower... Also it's easier to hit the stars with the analog sticks, than to swype the Vita screen that isn't working properly since Monster Monpiece... xD 

But, yeah, I'm not playing on a TV. Just playing on a 26" pc-screen that stands on a living room table in front of me.

For the topic I just can say: If you are going to play Akiba'S Trip, do it on PS4... The loading times on Vita are so damn horrible, I don't even want to play it anymore... Infact, when I can choose between PS4 and Vita, I'm picking PS4 since then...

24 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

I found Diva F on PS3 easier actually... Because it had smoother fps but still felt like the symbols would come inside slower... Also it's easier to hit the stars with the analog sticks, than to swype the Vita screen that isn't working properly since Monster Monpiece... xD 

But, yeah, I'm not playing on a TV. Just playing on a 26" pc-screen that stands on a living room table in front of me.

Hmmm, I didn't notice any FPS problems on Vita. As for swiping the screen, to me, swiping the screen feels more natural than hitting the analog stick, especially when there's a lot of stars you need to hit in a row. It's rare that I'll ever miss a star because of unresponsiveness. I found when I was playing the Project Diva X demo on PS4, I was missing a lot of the star symbols, even though I'm sure that I hit the analog stick. It felt like there was a dead zone or something. It felt way more natural to me on Vita, but maybe that's because I'm just used to playing those games on there.

Edited by Undead Wolf

19 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Well, saying the FPS is smoother implies that it has problems. :P As far as I know, the PS3 and Vita versions are both supposed to be 30fps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or I just said it felt smoother because it felt smoother?

Movies run in 24fps and they still feel smooth, because you just can't compare that.

You also can't compare 30fps in a game on console with 30fps in a game on pc. On pc its going to feel more unsmooth because the fps are simply more unstable there. Dunno, on a console it just feels more smooth for me (because of optimizations and more stable fps, maybe? :P), while on a pc it's just disturbing. Because a pc is always "trying to do its best", because nobody actually tells it how to actually run a game smoothly (that's probably why pc gamers always need 60fps - and a new graphics card when they just get 50 - and fap on their 144hz screens)... Even when it means the game jumps between 5 and 60fps... The pc would do that. Like a drunk driver.

Am I allowed to have the personal impression that Miku feels on console more smooth than on handheld? Yes? Thank you. So nice! <3 

Ah, here, for the topic, before Sly is going to slap me again without a reason:

Child of Light. Vita1000. OLED screen. Now!

Personally I had with NFS Most Wanted on Vita more fun than on PS3. Don't know why. *shrugs* It takes a bit of time to get used to the mini sticks while driving, but after that... It felt actually pretty good... (Also you don't need that 45€(?) DLC-package on Vita... Well, I have 100% on both, because it was somewhen in sale... :D)

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Or I just said it felt smoother because it felt smoother?

Movies run in 24fps and they still feel smooth, because you just can't compare that.

You also can't compare 30fps in a game on console with 30fps in a game on pc. On pc its going to feel more unsmooth because the fps are simply more unstable there. Dunno, on a console it just feels more smooth for me (because of optimizations and more stable fps, maybe? :P), while on a pc it's just disturbing. Because a pc is always "trying to do its best", because nobody actually tells it how to actually run a game smoothly... Even when it means the game jumps between 5 and 60fps... The pc would do that. Like a drunk driver.

Am I allowed to have the personal impression that Miku feels on console more smooth than on handheld? Yes? Thank you. So nice! <3 

But what is that supposed to mean? How is it smoother if they run at the exact same frame rate? :P By saying the frame rate isn't smooth is implying the game is dropping frames, but like I said, I didn't notice any frame drops when I played the game. A locked 30 fps is the same on console, handheld, or PC.

4 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Nope, you are not, because my opinion is that handheld Miku is superior :awesome: 

On topic. Pretty much anything that is not resource heavy is better on Vita because you are not limited to place where you want to game.

Unfortunately, other cross-platform games, mainly newer that is, tend to be concentrated on PS4 and Vita versions suffer from performance issues.

If you, however, plan to use it for indies, you can easily play everything on Vita-tan.

20 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

But what is that supposed to mean? How is it smoother if they run at the exact same frame rate? :P 

By saying the frame rate isn't smooth is implying the game is dropping frames, but like I said, I didn't notice any frame drops when I played the game.

A locked 30 fps is the same on console, handheld, or PC.

They don't run at the exact same framerate because you can't force three different devices to run 100% of the time on the same fps.

Maybe it does? Maybe it does not? FOR ME - I know, I was never allowed to have an opinion... - the PS3 version just felt just a bit more stable. And just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I mean, hey, there are eg still people out there saying people can't notice everything above 30fps. Yeah, pc gamers want at least 60 and fap when they get 120. And I need to hurl, because I have a problem with my eyes. Ah, wait... I don't, because you don't have it. :P  ...Also, even though my eyes are usually in short-sighted "mode" I can change them freely to far-sighted mode, without glasses. It seems, that isn't normal. And? What are you going to tell me now? That I'm talking bullshit, because it doesn't apply to you?

I havn't said the game on pc would have a 30fps lock. Also, a fps lock just means it can't go up. It doesn't mean it can't dropp...

Here, an example

ALSO: 

20 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Unfortunately, other cross-platform games, mainly newer that is, tend to be concentrated on PS4 and Vita versions suffer from performance issues.

If you, however, plan to use it for indies, you can easily play everything on Vita-tan.

Nah. Dragon Fin Soup eg seems to be still not 100% able.

Edited by Neputyunu

2 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

They don't run at the exact same framerate because you can't force three different devices to run 100% of the time on the same fps.

Maybe it does? Maybe it does not? FOR ME - I know, I was never allowed to have an opinion... - the PS3 version just felt just a bit more stable. And just because you doesn't notice it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I mean, hey, there are eg still people out there saying people can't notice everything above 30fps. Yeah, pc gamers want at least 60 and fap when they get 120. And I need to hurl, because I have a problem with my eyes. Ah, wait... I don't, because you doesn't have it. :P  ...Also, even though my eyes are usually in short-sighted "mode" I can change it freely to far-sighted mode, without glasses. It seems, that isn't normal. And? What are you going to tell me now? That I'm talking bullshit, because it doesn't apply to you?

I havn't said the game on pc would have a 30fps lock. Also, a fps lock just means it can't go up. It doesn't mean it can't dropp...

Here, an example

Spoiler

Okay, if you think the PS3 version runs better than the Vita version, that's fine. I'd like to think I could notice if a game dropped below 30 fps, and like I said, I didn't notice any frame drops even though I played the game for a very long time, but whatever. I just don't get what you meant when you said this:

47 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

I havn't said it would have fps problems.

So you are saying the Vita version has frame rate problems after all then? :P

12 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

So you are saying the Vita version has frame rate problems after all then? :P

Goddamnit... Interprete it how you want. I'm out <_< 

If you want to believe it would be a problem for me, because everyone always knows everytime better how I feel about everything, fine, do it.

I'm not angry or anything. I just don't like it that nobody ever is able to accept my opinions and everyone always is trying to tell me that I would be wrong (wrong about a personal impression... lol), until I drop my opinion... 

...What? Neps finds it on console more smooth? SCANDAL! That can't be tolerated!! >:c

Edited by Neputyunu

9 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

Truthfully unless being portable is a selling point for you, virtually any game on the PS4 is going to be worlds better than on the Vita. I can't really think of any examples where the Vita was "better" aside from just being portable.

How is an indie game which could quite literally run on a toaster be any better on a PS4? Because it's certainly not going to have a graphical advantage. The bigger screen isn't always a benefit, and I've found it can actually make games harder because there's more screen you have to pay attention to. You don't have to move your eyes as much with a smaller screen. I've tried playing games like Velocity 2X on the big screen and I'm much worse on there than I am on Vita. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I find rhythm games much easier too. Basically any game where you need fast reaction times is easier for me on a smaller screen. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

Some games are just made for handheld and I think Visual Novels are one of them. Being portable is an advantage over PS4 whether you like it or not, and in the case of VN's, there's literally no benefit to playing them on a console. Higher resolution means nothing because of course you need a need a higher resolution on a bigger screen to look even half decent. A smaller screen doesn't need as large of a pixel count to look good. That's just how these things work. Some games are also made to be played in short bursts, making them perfect for handheld when you're out and about and only have 10-15 minutes to spare. I play the Hatsune Miku games at work when I'm on break all the time for example. The songs only being a few minutes long serves itself well for short play sessions.

So yeah, there's plenty of examples why people would consider a game to be better on handheld. If you disagree, that's fine. You're allowed your own opinion as am I. :)

5 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

How is an indie game which could quite literally run on a toaster be any better on a PS4?

I can play it on a larger screen in a higher resolution. That may not be a huge benefit, but it is a benefit.

6 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Because it's certainly not going to have a graphical advantage. The bigger screen isn't always a benefit, and I've found it can actually make games harder because there's more screen you have to pay attention to. You don't have to move your eyes as much with a smaller screen.

You also may need to squint to see things on a smaller screen with a lower resolution.

7 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Being portable is an advantage over PS4 whether you like it or not,

Only to some people. Many of us don't game on the go, and don't have a need for portability.

7 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

there's literally no benefit to playing them on a console. Higher resolution means nothing because of course you need a need a higher resolution on a bigger screen to look even half decent.

HD renders of the artwork in visual novels vs. Non HD. Benefit: view the ART in a visual novel in HD and thus it looks crisper and nicer.

8 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

So yeah, there's plenty of examples why people would consider a game to be better on handheld. If you disagree, that's fine. You're allowed your own opinion as am I. :)

Fair enough, but again, your biggest point is portability is the benefit, and if you don't care about portability, it makes virtually every Vita port inferior.

And here we go again... graphics being important... lel.

22 hours ago, Cynthia-Roses said:

and if you don't care about portability, it makes virtually every Vita port inferior.

Well, if you don't care about portability, you are very unlikely to get a Vita, wouldn't you say? =D

Especially considering you can get Vita TV if you want some exclusives.

• Like 1

Lots of Visual Novel and J-RPGs are way better in PSVita. You have the Persona titles, Tales Of, Digimon. They have more fun playing on-the-go than in the console - which normally I get bored, which is sad since I prefer RPG games.

As people already said, Indies games feel good in the portable than PS3/PS4, some games also are easy to play if they have additional touch functions (Castlestorm).

@Satoshi Ookami

@Cynthia-Roses

As far as portability I use my vita right on the couch in front of my 55" panasonic plasma. Sometimes it's just nice to escape in a different way imo. 

I also have 2 pstvs(at $30 I couldn't resist!) and have to say danganronpa and steins gate looked as good on my plasma as it did on the vita. This isn't true for all games, but the resolution was incredible. Maybe they expected to port it one day and just used higher resolution resources. 

Either way I doubt the ps4 danganronpa port will look much different(though if I didn't experience the up scaling first hand I probably wouldn't agree) 

As far as squinting on the psvita... Unless you're remote playing(which is awesome, and even then any squinting will be because it wasn't made for a small screen, but I haven't had much issues)I never had to squint. It's not just about resolution. But size as well. It's about how many pixels you can actually see. Those pixels are crammed and your eyes can only see so many. You eventually plateau in resolution depending on the screen size. 

So the question isn't about if something should be higher resolution, but rather what resolution at what size. The vita does this extremely well. 

If the games don't look like ps4 games that's because they're not. The vita is more in line with the ps3 graphical ability. You can't make it do more with the hardware it has. Period. 

• Like 2