Blitzball is Confusing

Trugo314

7 hours ago, Razza said:

Damn I saw your praise for soccer slam so I just searched it on YouTube and it would of made blitzball a lot faster paced of a mini game ..... Although I really enjoyed playing blitzball the way it was on X once I got to grips with stats and what moves did what :D

7 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

For you, I will play it now lol

Yay, more Sega Soccer converts,

Seriously Sega needs to bring that game back. i-Ninja and Sega Soccer Slam are the two games that I am desperate for another release :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, smartbomb_HD said:

I’m having trouble recruiting players. I press square over Nimrook on the Airship and it just shows me his stats without letting me sign him. Do I have to do something to make him a free agent? 

You can't recruit players that are already in a contract for another team, you have to wait until their contract expires then hope they don't get re-signed right away. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

You can't recruit players that are already in a contract for another team, you have to wait until their contract expires then hope they don't get re-signed right away. 

I see. Thanks man. So presumably I have to play blitzball matches to run their contracts down or will that happen if it’s own accord?

27 minutes ago, smartbomb_HD said:

I see. Thanks man. So presumably I have to play blitzball matches to run their contracts down or will that happen if it’s own accord?

I'm pretty sure you must play matches... after a few wins your scout abilities go higher and show you for which team a player is assigned (if at all) and how many matches to play until his contrat ends... although in several cases the contract can be resigned right after a match... that's shown on the result screen after any match you have played...

@ Topic

I never liked Blitzball... either you lose with a high score or you win with a high score... nothing in between... and the standard team is just garbage... although with Brother in my team i always won and got rid of this mini game as fast as possible (until Wakka's Sigil earned)

Edited by Evil_Joker88

4 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I never liked Blitzball... either you lose with a high score or you win with a high score... nothing in between... and the standard team is just garbage... although with Brother in my team i always won and got rid of this mini game as fast as possible (until Wakka's Sigil earned)

There's definitely something in-between, like the first match you play in the story-line. Early games before you become OP too, and if you play it long enough that the other teams catch up in level with you.

Blitzball was ok to begin with, but it got too easy very quickly. Brother was especially OP, he was a faster swimmer than everyone else, so you could just kite the other team around, pass to wide open Tidus and Jecht/Sphere shot to easy goals. Have no idea how anyone had the patience to get players to lv 99.

• 2 months later...

I gotta say, I also have nostalgic bias towards Blitzball. Sounds crazy but I must have put in like 250 hours into Blitzball alone on the PS2. To be fair I didn't have many other games back then and looking back it was repeating the same thing over and over, and winning games like 25-0 so there was no challenge to it whatsoever. Literally at one point you could use OP midfielders like Linna who basically can shoot as soon as she gets the ball with WS3 + GA and it's a guaranteed goal. AI goalkeepers almost always had Hi-Risk on for some reason, so you could easily average a goal every 20 seconds or so since her ATT was quite high as well and would get the ball right away from opponent MF. Scoreline usually depended on what abilities the GK went with since Super Goalie and Grip Gloves slow it down considerably.

I was obssessed with maxing my entire team's xp to 9999 and teaching them all the techs. This includes winning Tech Find to unlock all possible slots on every player. I had to release a few players to learn impossible ones like Anti-Drain. The only one who I couldn't give a full tech list to was Tidus, who was missing Anti-Drain but he was sub-par towards end-game in BB anyway.

I think I also kept playing it to avoid particularly nasty bosses :ninja: It sounds dumb but back then I was so new to JRPGs (and also video games in general) that I had zero concept of grinding xp to better my characters. So I remember being stuck on several bosses because I was too stupid to backtrack and level up.

Edited by Zolkovo

• 8 months later...