Trophy Thoughts

dalailama1989

The obligatory thread.

Never heard of this game franchise before, but this appears to be the third or so game of it - and I think it looks interesting.

Hit the Steam Store half a year ago and looking at it's achievements, it's probably not gonna be easy to plat. (So was Chime on PS3.)

Price on Steam is $ 14,99, so it should be similar on console I guess.

Have checked the dev's social media accounts, but haven't found any info on a release date.

Here is some gameplay:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 23/01/2017 at 8:40 PM, dalailama1989 said:

The obligatory thread.

Never heard of this game franchise before, but this appears to be the third or so game of it - and I think it looks interesting.

Hit the Steam Store half a year ago and looking at it's achievements, it's probably not gonna be easy to plat. (So was Chime on PS3.)

Price on Steam is $ 14,99, so it should be similar on console I guess.

Have checked the dev's social media accounts, but haven't found any info on a release date.

Here is some gameplay:

Downloaded this game to try out sometime after complete a couple server closures, I guess by this gameplay video it's basically a harder Lumines I take it?

Btw anyone know if there is a minimum requirement to number of players required to complete this?

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 0:42 PM, Lord_Bane999 said:

Downloaded this game to try out sometime after complete a couple server closures, I guess by this gameplay video it's basically a harder Lumines I take it?

Btw anyone know if there is a minimum requirement to number of players required to complete this?

Never played Lumines (or even heard of it), so I can't answer to that.

But everything related to trophies should be able to be done with one player, one controller, one console.  That's how I went about it.

15 minutes ago, MaxieM0us3 said:

Does anyone know if any trophy requires online before the servers shut down?

I don't believe so.

A healthy chunk of the trophy list is pretty easy.  But there are things that take a fair amount of skill (and maybe some good twitch reflexes as well) to get right.  You can learn it, because practice and repetition can help you internalize it.  But I think there's good reason why the platinum rarity is as low as it is.

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Never played Lumines (or even heard of it), so I can't answer to that.

But everything related to trophies should be able to be done with one player, one controller, one console.  That's how I went about it.

I don't believe so.

A healthy chunk of the trophy list is pretty easy.  But there are things that take a fair amount of skill (and maybe some good twitch reflexes as well) to get right.  You can learn it, because practice and repetition can help you internalize it.  But I think there's good reason why the platinum rarity is as low as it is.

Since you've done this do you know how the point scoring works?

Honestly a bit lost in this regard as I've had large chunks I've completed which seemed to give good but not good enough. And also filling the board is equally weird as maybe I cover the board but points aren't high enough.

9 hours ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Since you've done this do you know how the point scoring works?

Honestly a bit lost in this regard as I've had large chunks I've completed which seemed to give good but not good enough. And also filling the board is equally weird as maybe I cover the board but points aren't high enough.

My recall is thus:

Base scoring is related to the size of the quad -- i.e., how many tiles it covers.  Then there's a multiplier that increases with each new quad you lay on the field, increasing until it hits the ceiling and re-setting to x1 when the baseline clears fragments.  There's one trophy for maxx'ing out the multiplier; other than that, the scoring isn't really necessary as things relate to trophies.

You have to keep a certain pace going in the non-Practice modes because of the running clock; you'll earn extra time based on board coverage -- and maybe your score as well; it's been two years and I simply don't remember.  Filling the board takes a level of skill and practice and working around what you've already done in a level.  One thing that really helped me was when I finally discovered the ability to view the underlying board without the pieces and fragments overlaying the grid.  (I forget which button that was.)  Because you're ultimately aiming for 100% completion, at least in Standard mode, and being able to see underneath the clutter on the board to where you need to focus is helpful.  Especially as you get a very limited amount of time to try and 100% complete a board once you hit 90% -- at 90% you get the "level complete" message and three more passes of the beatline to try and get to 100% coverage before you advance to the next stage.

In Standard Mode, you only have to cover a tile once with a quad for it to register and stick; Standard Mode won't destroy your coverage the way Sharp and Strike Modes will.  Which can also make it a viable strategy to allow the beat line to clear your fragments every so often if those fragments are difficult to work with insofar as forming more quads.  100% can be the tough part with the limitations and with the combination of odd-shaped pieces and odd-shaped boards -- especially on the later stages of a given track.  Practice Mode is a pretty good way to get a handle on this, at least the pieces, because things will be slower and you can simply work on learning the pieces and how they interact with one another and tight spaces and board edges/corners and all that.

If ultimately aiming for 500%, you'll want to practice how to quickly knock out compact areas such as those corners or 4x4 nooks interspersed in the later boards and leave the larger, more open areas for after that.  (If you look at the Psychonaut videos embedded above and fast forward to the latter sections of that challenge, you'll see what I mean by those "nooks".)  It's challenging and there's even a little bit of luck involved insofar as getting the pieces you need to knock out certain little areas.  And it can be aggravating because you have to start at the first board of a track every time you make an attempt and then 100% coverage each of the five boards -- mess up even one and you have to start from scratch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me how practice mode ends?

btw I really don’t like about this instalment that after you reach 90% you get a set number of Beatlines before you transition to the next board. On the first game you just transitioned at 100% which is a much better system in my opinion.Teneb things just adds an annoying nothin to keep in mind

Edited by Ich1994-1994