Gravity Rush 2 may have sold under 5,000 copies in the UK (Physical)

FlareXV

Sad news for fans of GR2 in the UK.

Gravity Rush 2, the well received sequel to GR1/GR1R came in at number 16 in the all formats and 13 in the individual charts this week. The game where you play as Kat has gotten rave reviews with its critics.

We know that GR2 sold last than 5,000 copies because Bruno MB (GAF's analyst) said that "This week you can make it into the individual formats top 5 selling less than 5,500 units". The fifth spot on that chart is the XB1 version of CALL OF DUTY: Infinite Warfare with less than 5,500 copies sold.

It's a shame, the game did so well with the critics and I personally think its a good game.

What's your opinion on this?

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336860

5 minutes ago, Torracat83 said:

I imagine more digital sales, but doesn't sound good.

I really do hope so. It would be nice if Sony could release a GR bundle with re-mastered included.

5 minutes ago, Parker said:

Damn. Hopefully digital sales make up quite a bit of the install base because the game definitely deserves it. 

Parker

I hope so too. I thought it would take this week before RE7 comes.

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

My opinion is that the majority of people now purchase digitally so these numbers, unless they come from Sony are less and less accurate and useful.

I don't think that's true to be honest, a lot people do buy games digitally but not enough to disregard retail numbers.

1 minute ago, kuuhaku said:

It'd probably be higher if it released on the vita :ninja:

I actually think a Vita version would probably have more success than PS4 version, especially in Japan.

Just now, grimydawg said:

How sad.  This is a solid game.  I'm going to try and finish it this week.  These 80 total hours of work/school are killing me LOL

Really solid, it surprised me. Also, good luck with school and work.

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

My opinion is that the majority of people now purchase digitally so these numbers, unless they come from Sony are less and less accurate and useful.

I do wish it was possible to see digital sales numbers as well. I don't know if a majority of gamers are buying digital these days but it is certainly more than the last generation so it makes tracking game sales much more difficult and less accurate.

1 minute ago, grimydawg said:

How sad.  This is a solid game.  I'm going to try and finish it this week.  These 80 total hours of work/school are killing me LOL

I know how you feel. I was working a bunch of volunteer overtime before I closed on my house but we just had 12 Officers quit and we're promoting 11 Sergeants so now I'm working a bunch of forced overtime. :lol:

Parker

Just now, Parker said:

I know how you feel. I was working a bunch of volunteer overtime before I closed on my house but we just had 12 Officers quit and we're promoting 11 Sergeants so now I'm working a bunch of forced overtime. :lol:

Parker

Bro, kids too LOL.  Kill me now SMH

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FlareXV said:

I actually think a Vita version would probably have more success than PS4 version, especially in Japan.

The lack of vita release is the reason I didn't preorder and will likely only buy it used. I don't want to support their decision not to release on the vita, so I won't give them my money. Obviously my choice won't cause a huge ripple, but it's the most I can do.

Japan's love of handhelds would definitely cause it to sell better. Comparing the opening week sales data of Gravity Rush and Gravity Rush Remastered, the vita version sold nearly twice as many units at 43 thousand units in Japan.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FlareXV said:

I don't think that's true to be honest, a lot people do buy games digitally but not enough to disregard retail numbers.

I never implied or said to disregard retails numbers. According to several research studies done last year, they still make up to 40% of overall sales. All I said was retail-only tracking is becoming less accurate (of the actual sales of a title) and less useful (since they only show one piece of the big picture.)

How many game announcements lately have said US gets physical versions, but EU gets digitally only? Actually this is easy to track: @Satoshi Ookami How many games have to had to import last year because they released physical elsewhere but only digital in your area? HA HA!

As much as this saddens me, it's what I was expecting. It seems like their decision to move this game to PS4 didn't pay off. I don't know if it would have done any better as a Vita exclusive, but it couldn't have done much worse. I'm still of the mind that they should have made this a PS4 AND Vita game. This would have given the Vita one last big first party title and pleased the Gravity Rush fans who have been with the series since day one. It would have sold much more in Japan at the very least. But hey, what do I know?

Still, I purchased this game on day one and practically forced @Redgrave to buy this game at gunpoint. I did my part. :lol:

23 minutes ago, SteelFreaxx said:

Damn this game needs all the support it can get...i'm actually still waiting for my copy i got it at launch but amazon are being slow.

I'm having the same problem. I pre-ordered the game from Amazon months ago. I got my codes on day one, but my copy of the game still hasn't arrived. -_- At least I'm not the only one.

• Like 4

Well if that is truly the case that it only sold 5000 copies then that is really bad or that everyone that wanted a sequel to the game is on PlayStation Vita rather than PlayStation 4, (to be honest i would rather play it on the Vita the controls on PS4 are just too strange and frustrating) If they give me a Vita version of the game i will buy it until then i do not care for the PS4 version.

6 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

How many game announcements lately have said US gets physical versions, but EU gets digitally only? Actually this is easy to track: @Satoshi Ookami How many games have to had to import last year because they released physical elsewhere but only digital in your area? HA HA!

LOL xD

Should be around 10...? Some I didn't buy yet but I'll be importing them this year.

Well... I'm not really surprised. First, it's not on Vita so it's going to fail in Japan, second, it had zero advertisement apart from Japan.

Grats, Sony, PS4 yet again, killed something.

On the other hand, we haven't seen sales from Japan. While UK is EU, oh wait, they aren't, okay not enough relevant :awesome: 

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

As much as this saddens me, it's what I was expecting. It seems like their decision to move this game to PS4 didn't pay off. I don't know if it would have done any better as a Vita exclusive, but it couldn't have done much worse. I'm still of the mind that they should have made this a PS4 AND Vita game. This would have given the Vita one last big first party title and pleased the Gravity Rush fans who have been with the series since day one. It would have sold much more in Japan at the very least. But hey, what do I know?

I also feel like the game not being advertised much if at all didn't help either. I've seen basically no advertisement for it and I probably wouldn't have even known about it if people weren't talking about it.

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Still, I purchased this game on day one and practically forced @Redgrave to buy this game at gunpoint. I did my part. :lol:

Yeah, heh... he's just kidding about the gunpoint thing....

Spoiler

• Like 4

Such a shame, I have read some pretty amazing things about it. The one reason why I haven't bought it is because this January is BRUTAL (Yakuza 0, REVII, KH2.8, Tales of Berseria, Gravity Rush 2....). 

They delayed it to escape from FFXV and The Last Guardian and it ended up eaten by different predators.

• Like 1

I would glady would buy GR 2 on Vita if it was release . I don't knowknow why they didn't put multiplataform between Vita and PS4 . Those sales don't surprise cause the majority of the fanbase is on Vita i believe . I 'm currently playing the 1st one on Vita and i'm loving it although i haven't played for days cause of no time to play .

• Like 1

Just now, Redgrave said:

I also feel like the game not being advertised much if at all didn't help either. I've seen basically no advertisement for it and I probably wouldn't have even known about it if people weren't talking about it.

Yeah, that's true. Sony apparently only advertised the game in Japan which was pretty stupid if you ask me. I mean the game has been receiving critical acclaim from pretty much every site. They should be proud of it! If you ask me, this whole game was mishandled by Sony. They played a part in its weak sales.

8 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

Yeah, heh... he's just kidding about the gunpoint thing....

Reveal hidden contents

Death-Note-Gif-Light-Yagami-Kira-Evil-Laugh-The-Last-Episode.gif

:P

Oh, and if anyone hasn't seen this ad for the game yet, I'd highly recommend doing so. It's brilliant!

• Like 2

I have to admit that I buy launch titles extremely rarely. Price is a factor as I generally don't have $90 lying around for 1 game very often.  If I wait 6 months I can probably get it for half that which just makes financial sense for me and the patches will have cleared up most of the bugs by then.

I know that's not what developers want to hear but for me that's the way it goes. House, bills, food, kids, etc ending with stuff for me.