Gravity Rush 2 may have sold under 5,000 copies in the UK (Physical)

FlareXV

24 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Then use :D

Nah, there's too much good stuff I still have to play and watch on the big screens. My Vita is for playing PS4 when a television is unavailable and for playing a PS+ game or two when I'm on the move (but not behind the wheel, which drastically lessens the available time).

• Like 1

I said this in the other GR2 sales thread so I'll say it here too.

I think this thread and that other GR2 sales thread show that sales data is a complicated thing that most people should ignore.

The days where we had access to all of a game's sales data is over. This is because more people are buying their games digitally and we almost never get all of a games digital sales numbers.

On top of that, things like when the game was released, how much it cost, and what country you are looking at, and what other games were released that day, week, and month can all have an effect on sales.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm actually talking about the PS4 version, which hasn't been on PS+ (and this sequel is for PS4 as well). I actually don't use my Vita that much.

You know that there's a demo for Gravity Rush 2?

It should give you a basic impression of the gameplay and combat. The good thing is that it seems to contain two different paths:
One for beginners and one for advanced players who know the predecessor.

2 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

You know that there's a demo for Gravity Rush 2?

It should give you a basic impression of the gameplay and combat. The good thing is that it seems to contain two different paths:
One for beginners and one for advanced players who know the predecessor.

That still has the same problem though: why would I download and play a demo when there's still so many other full games I have on my backlog? I have and still want to play Psychonauts, Õkami, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bound, Shadow Of The Beast... all of those games I never played but still want to play, and that's not even going into PS+ games, where I want to play a great many things as well.

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

That still has the same problem though: why would I download and play a demo when there's still so many other full games I have on my backlog? I have and still want to play Psychonauts, Õkami, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bound, Shadow Of The Beast... all of those games I never played but still want to play, and that's not even going into PS+ games, where I want to play a great many things as well.

I can't say why you should download demos of new games even though you still have a huge backlog but I can say why I download demos of new games/series:
Because I'm interested to see whether I might like the game or not and if I should follow any future discussions about them or not, or might give the game(s) a chance and buy them if I see a deal. Some examples:
I downloaded the demo for The Crew to see if I like Ubi's concept of open world racers. Played it for about half an hour and didn't like it from the basic premise so it's unlikely that I will ever buy it. The same happened to the demo for Gal*Gun. Whereas demos of games like Puppeteer, Ys: Memories of Celceta, or Hatsune Miku made me realize that I should give those games a try. And so I'm still waiting for the perfect moment to try out the demos for games like Bunny Must Die, F1 2016, or Watch Dogs 2 although I have a way too large backlog.

13 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I can't say why you should download demos of new games even though you still have a huge backlog but I can say why I download demos of new games/series:
Because I'm interested to see whether I might like the game or not and if I should follow any future discussions about them or not, or might give the game(s) a chance and buy them if I see a deal. Some examples:
I downloaded the demo for The Crew to see if I like Ubi's concept of open world racers. Played it for about half an hour and didn't like it from the basic premise so it's unlikely that I will ever buy it. The same happened to the demo for Gal*Gun. Whereas demos of games like Puppeteer, Ys: Memories of Celceta, or Hatsune Miku made me realize that I should give those games a try. And so I'm still waiting for the perfect moment to try out the demos for games like Bunny Must Die, F1 2016, or Watch Dogs 2 although I have a way too large backlog.

I actually played the beta of The Crew and didn't really like it, then after playing Driveclub I managed to trade it for The Crew and then I loved it, it's now my favourite racer on the PS4.

Personally, I just want to make my backlog smaller instead of finding out about even more games I want to play, the list is big enough as it is...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/38230-billyhorribles-backlog-bit/

27 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Personally, I just want to make my backlog smaller instead of finding out about even more games I want to play, the list is big enough as it is...

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/38230-billyhorribles-backlog-bit/

Simple answer: Don't add every PS+ to your backlog then. :P

I know for you PS+ is about discovering new games that you might never would have paid for but personally I would say it's a bit counterproductive to argue about a "big" backlog of purchased games you have to finish and then adding many IGC-games (or those free games) which you might have interest in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Simple answer: Don't add every PS+ to your backlog then. :P

I know for you PS+ is about discovering new games that you might never would have paid for but personally I would say it's a bit counterproductive to argue about a "big" backlog of purchased games you have to finish and then adding many IGC-games (or those free games) which you might have interest in.

For me, a big backlog of purchased games these days is more than ten titles per system. I'm putting the PS+ titles in a different list in the backlog specifically because I'm counting them separately. (On the PS3, there's also the generally free games, like the bag of games I was given along with the PS3)

First I'm always trying to get through the games I actually bought, and second the PS+ games - the ones I really really want to play, get played right away anyway (Journey, Rapture, Deadly Tower...). I do feel that as long as I have so many PS+ games I want to try, I should buy less myself though. I decided not to buy ICO/Colossus for €7 in the sale in the end last week because I already bought Metal Slug Anthology and Psychonauts and I had The Last Guardian on the way. I'm sure I would have loved Colossus and at least liked ICO, but I've just got so much to play left... The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 alone will probably cost me at least a month of gaming time.

I'm not adding literally all PS+ games to my list by the way, but it does seem that way since I'm prepared to give so many games a chance... I don't feel like doing really bad games or sports games or tower defence and other genres I don't really enjoy but if it's remotely my cup of tea, I'll add it and try it out.

Edited by BillyHorrible

7 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Makes me laugh people actually think if it were on Vita it would somehow do much better. GR2 sold more than GR did on Vita. Granted there were fewer Vitas out there at the time, but it also had the benefit of being a launch title [in Japan] where there were like... 2 Japanese games. The rest were western games. And, Vita is a flop outside Japan. So, I don't see how that would magically fix anything.

Don't think things would've changed much if it were also on Vita, and the game itself would be far, far, far worse off. Why people care so much about Vita, over the quality of the game is beyond me.

I love the Vita, but I'm not about to settle for an IP I love to be crappier just so it can stay on Vita. Get outta here.

First, people want it *also* on the Vita, not exclusively on the Vita. If this released on two systems, one of which made it popular, it definitely would have sold more. Secondly, as the other thread states, GR2 sold 75,000 units in Japan so this rumor thread doesn't really reflect the reality of how it's doing. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

First, people want it *also* on the Vita, not exclusively on the Vita. If this released on two systems, one of which made it popular, it definitely would have sold more. Secondly, as the other thread states, GR2 sold 75,000 units in Japan so this rumor thread doesn't really reflect the reality of how it's doing. 

First, no duh. Did you actually read my comment, let me quote a part of it for you "Don't think things would've changed much if it were also on Vita". 

Second, I referenced the Japanese sales of GR2 in my comment...

Third, no. Being on Vita as well doesn't necessarily mean it would sell more overall [see de Blob 2, Epic Mickey 2]. And again, the quality of the game would suffer. [there's one obvious reason why it may not sell as well]

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

I think one of the reason is that we have so many awesome games coming out Q1 2017 that people are probably being more selective with their purchases. The other reason (at least in Australia) is that there weren't any sales for Gravity Rush 2, so it was sold at the regular price PS4 games are usually sold out (around $90-$100 AUD) whereas a sale price is around $60. For example, Yakuza which came out not long after was released on sale for $59 AUD.

Real gamers would never pay RRP :P

Personally I'd be waiting for a price drop before picking up Gravity Rush 2.

Maybe people just didn't enjoy the first one or the game just didn't interest them. I've noticed on ebay a lot of UK sellers are selling their original Gravity Rush. A lot more than the US even though the US physical copy is going for $120+ so possibly the demand for that price is making the series seem more "appealing" in the US rather than the UK. ..if that makes any sense, lol.

Someone also mentioned advertising, that also plays a big part as well. The GameStop I work in occasionally played the trailer for this game. Also by word of mouth about this game helps as well. There could've been a lack of that in the UK as well ..

Edited by DuckSwimmer

18 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nah, there's too much good stuff I still have to play and watch on the big screens. My Vita is for playing PS4 when a television is unavailable and for playing a PS+ game or two when I'm on the move (but not behind the wheel, which drastically lessens the available time).

You seriously need to become weeb :D Your Vita needs more love!

6 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Don't think things would've changed much if it were also on Vita, and the game itself would be far, far, far worse off. Why people care so much about Vita, over the quality of the game is beyond me.

Because you can make the game awesome without graphiczzzzz :awesome:

8 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

You seriously need to become weeb :D Your Vita needs more love!

Because you can make the game awesome without graphiczzzzz :awesome:

The games I enjoyed the most on the Vita didn't even try to have "awesome" graphics, stuff like MonsterBag, Murasaki Baby, Kick & Fennick, Day Of The Tentacle, Super Star Wars... Then again I still play on my SNES regularly so it should be obvious I look beyond current gen graphics standards :)

Sorry Satoshi, I gave Amnesia Memories a try and I'll do the same for that other Japanese game I got on PS+ but I guess I'm more of a platform/race/adventure type of guy... Started on The Last Guardian yesterday and that's the kind of story I love to play, it's amazing so far. That game is from JapanStudio though, does that count? Don't think I'll get closer than that...

Edited by BillyHorrible

4 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Maybe people just didn't enjoy the first one or the game just didn't interest them. I've noticed on ebay a lot of UK sellers are selling their original Gravity Rush. A lot more than the US even though the US physical copy is going for $120+ so possibly the demand for that price is making the series seem more "appealing" in the US rather than the UK. ..if that makes any sense, lol.

Someone also mentioned advertising, that also plays a big part as well. The GameStop I work in occasionally played the trailer for this game. Also by word of mouth about this game helps as well. There could've been a lack of that in the UK as well ..

$120?! What? I sold my physical copy since I got it from Plus and was pretty hard up for cash at the time, but I know where I can scoop up copies for about $15, I'll buy them up and unload them for $120 for sure!

Yeah, I'm actually suspecting that the UK gaming public has been conditioned that EU regions get less physical releases and so there were significantly more digital sales than the rumored "maybe 5,000 physical" sales from this thread. Especially since Japans sales numbers show it's moved 75,000 there. Considering the big titles that released shortly before GR2 released that's pretty awesome numbers for it's first week.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Because all you get from better hardware is pretty graphics... oh, wait.

Name one game on PS4 that couldn't be done on PS3. Yes, it would have downgraded graphics, more pop in, etc, etc, but there have been no gameplay innovations since the new generation came around. Better hardware doesn't automatically make it a better game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Because all you get from better hardware is pretty graphics... oh, wait.

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

Name one game on PS4 that couldn't be done on PS3. Yes, it would have downgraded graphics, more pop in, etc, etc, but there have been no gameplay innovations since the new generation came around. Better hardware doesn't automatically make it a better game.

I think that was Elvick's point as well...

By the wau, Rockstar claimed that Arkham Knight was simply not possible on the last generation so there's that. The main thing there I think is that with better hardware, games can be bigger as well.

Better hardware doesn't make a better game, but better hardware definitely gives developers more tools to make a better game. And yes, there are many indie games still coming out that prove that they can still make games that would've been excellent on the SNES as well, but luckily we can have more diverse games now.

15 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

By the wau, Rockstar claimed that Arkham Knight was simply not possible on the last generation so there's that.

There's so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start. :P

12 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I didn't say that better hardware "automatically" makes it a better game. But, in this case. It did. The scale is impossible on Vita. The level of detail is impossible on Vita. The enemy numbers are impossible on Vita. GR wasn't even native res on Vita, they were already making concessions just to get a lot of games to work on Vita when it was brand new and for years to come. There's no way GR2 would be the way it is if it were made with Vita in mind. And if it wasn't made with Vita in mind and just downported with tons of concessions, framerate problems, long loading, among other issues... why would you even want it?

Haha, there's nothing about Gravity Rush 2 that couldn't have been done on Vita. It started out as a Vita exclusive if you forgot. As I said, it would obviously have downgraded graphics and what not, but from a gameplay point of view, it's nothing the Vita can't handle. Let me just stress that, from a gameplay perspective. You seem to have missed my point. Long gone are the days where better hardware allows for new genres to be created or game design that just wasn't possible on older hardware. Graphics continue to evolve but gameplay has largely remained stagnant for a while now. PS4 games are prettier, but they certainly don't play any better.

13 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Vita is 2012 portable hardware

And what a beautiful piece of hardware it is to stand the test of time! :holy:

Meh this date is quite relative. I'm actually liking how is ported on Ps4 the First one! Even if of course it's really stupid that the Second one is not at least EVEN on the console that make it famous....

Anyway Considering just UK and what, first 5-6 days? While even KH 2.8, Tales of berseria and Digimon Next order were coming out this week is really wrong, of course it couldn't sell 100000 or more copies and stuff like that's, we should see this worldwide like at the end of february so after a month and so Properly judge!

I Honestly liked the Demo a Lot and i see who's playing it that is a really great sequel so as soon as the price will drop (Probably on Sale Digital) i'll get it!