Worth getting?

AJ_Radio

I don't plan to buy too many games for probably the majority of this year due to a big backlog of games, although I'll probably buy Gravity Rush 2, Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, Horizon Zero Dawn and the new God of War sometime down the road in late 2017, along with a few titles that came out at the end of last year (Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XV). However since I never played any of the Mafia games, and have been wanting to for quite a long time now, I'm wondering if Mafia III is worth the purchase.

Several critics panned this game and overall it got scores of 5 to 7 out of 10, which are generally bad scores for a AAA title. Now I'm well aware from Youtube videos that there were a ton of glitches to this game when fighting NPCs and just the overall boring open world environment, which many open world games suffer from. I played a little bit of Assassins Creed Unity last summer after all the patches were applied and it was actually a bit enjoyable and will be coming back to that game sometime this spring or so. So hopefully if the developers took notice, if I buy Mafia III it will be actually playable.

Personally I prefer open world games that take place in a 'different' setting like Mad Max or historical setting like LA Noire. I'm generally not too big on Grand Theft Auto or Watch Dogs 2 for that matter (although I'll be getting that this summer or so) mostly because the setting is modern day America which I'm already well familiar with since I'm an American myself. But in all honestly it doesn't matter what the setting is as long as the game is enjoyable, and the question is, is Mafia III worth getting three months after release?

I'm not too confident about the game but I want to hear from you guys, because I know a few people who ended up sending Mafia III back to Best Buy, Amazon and Game Stop due to the number of bugs/glitches and just the overall boringness of the open world setting.

• Like 1

I've played about 10 hours of the game and its pretty much same thing driving around doing similar missions,side request but I actually enjoyed it.Little buggy but if you can get it for a decent price then its worth it.The music you can play on the stations in the cars are awesome though while your driving but that's just my opinion. 

The glitches as far as I'm aware are mostly if not completely gone now. I didn't play the game until the first patch came out but I didn't really experience much problems with it. They've added more patches to it, so I'm sure there are less issues now, plus they added some new content like racing (which isn't needed for the Platinum thankfully). The only downside I can give this game is it gets repetitive after a while and most of the missions are pretty much the same. If you don't mind that then I say go for it.

2 minutes ago, doordie19822015 said:

I've played about 10 hours of the game and its pretty much same thing driving around doing similar missions,side request but I actually enjoyed it.Little buggy but if you can get it for a decent price then its worth it.The music you can play on the stations in the cars are awesome though while your driving but that's just my opinion. 

Mafia III may have taken a few cues from Grand Theft Auto V, which is a terrific game but extremely time consuming. Hopefully Mafia III won't be as long.

1 minute ago, Redgrave said:

The glitches as far as I'm aware are mostly if not completely gone now. I didn't play the game until the first patch came out but I didn't really experience much problems with it. They've added more patches to it, so I'm sure there are less issues now, plus they added some new content like racing (which isn't needed for the Platinum thankfully). The only downside I can give this game is it gets repetitive after a while and most of the missions are pretty much the same. If you don't mind that then I say go for it.

That's kind of how it was with Sleeping Dogs, apart from glitches. It was enjoyable the first hours, but having to hunt all the collectibles (which took 5 to 7 hours in all) and do those favors got extremely repetitive. Unfortunately racing is required for that game and for the most part it's crap.

Thankfully I didn't pay for Mafia III on release day, because from the looks of it I would of been extremely disappointed. If I can get it for $19.99 or so then I'll say it's worth getting.

7 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Mafia III may have taken a few cues from Grand Theft Auto V, which is a terrific game but extremely time consuming. Hopefully Mafia III won't be as long.

That's kind of how it was with Sleeping Dogs, apart from glitches. It was enjoyable the first hours, but having to hunt all the collectibles (which took 5 to 7 hours in all) and do those favors got extremely repetitive. Unfortunately racing is required for that game and for the most part it's crap.

Thankfully I didn't pay for Mafia III on release day, because from the looks of it I would of been extremely disappointed. If I can get it for $19.99 or so then I'll say it's worth getting.

Im not sure how long the game is compared to GTA 5 but for 20 bucks its worth it.

Edited by doordie19822015

12 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It's nowhere near as long as GTA V but for $20 I'd definitely say go for it. I wouldn't bother with the Season Pass stuff since it seems to just be for cosmetic things and I guess special guns.

I'm probably about half way through now. Game was very glitchy before all the small patches, however 99% of those seem ironed out now. The music is top notch! Mission can be repetitive but the whole atmosphere of the game is done well. Its a pretty lengthy game but I would say shorter than say gta5.

1 minute ago, ANTIOX_ said:

I'm probably about half way through now. Game was very glitchy before all the small patches, however 99% of those seem ironed out now. The music is top notch! Mission can be repetitive but the whole atmosphere of the game is done well. Its a pretty lengthy game but I would say shorter than say gta5.

GTA V has a radio station that is focused on 60s/70s music, one of my favorite music eras in American history. Nothing else compares.

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

GTA V has a radio station that is focused on 60s/70s music, one of my favorite music eras in American history. Nothing else compares.

I don't really like music from that era but the soundtrack for mafia 3 is the best I've probably ever heard, it has all the classics, sometimes I don't want to get out of the car because the selection of music is that good! 

Just now, ANTIOX_ said:

I don't really like music from that era but the soundtrack for mafia 3 is the best I've probably ever heard, it has all the classics, sometimes I don't want to get out of the car because the selection of music is that good! 

Well Mafia III takes place during the Hippie Era, so I would expect to hear music like Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Elvis Presley and others as part of the soundtrack even if they're not actually in the game.

11 minutes ago, Bkos-mosX said:

I would say no,

The first two hours are great, after that the game gets super boring and repetitive.

A forgetable experience

Well, list any game that isn't "repetitive"?

It is a good game I got the game Day 1 but I did stop for while cause I got few other new games but I did get the platinum on January 11th

• 4 months later...

There is repetitive, but then there is repetitive. I get that some games may have parts like that, but Mafia III is all repetitive. The beginning of the game is good, but then you fall into this structure of "go to an area, do these series of tasks, go after the boss - then go to another area and repeat". That's all the game is, really... I think the gameplay is fine, shootouts are cool, but my interest only declined the more I played.

The story never engaged me that much and there was nothing to the city at all other than the missions as far as I can remember. I don't know, GTA V feels so much more full of "life" in comparison, it's not even funny. The soundtrack is great, though.

All in all I wish I waited and got it cheaper - I did get it on Day 1. It's an ok game, but for me others are leagues better.