Gravity Rush 2 Top Sales Charts In Japan with 75,000 sold

DaivRules

The latest Media Create sales report is out, and it looks like PlayStation came in on top all around this week. Sony’s Gravity Rush 2 topped software charts, with almost 75,000 units sold. It was first place by considerable margin, since the next title on the charts, Nintendo’s Poochy and Yoshi’s Wooly World (another new release, and the 3DS port of the gorgeous Wii U exclusive platformer) came in second with under 40,000 units sold.

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/gravity-rush-2-and-ps4-top-sales-charts-in-japan-in-latest-media-create-report

I'd like to congratulate the developers on having even better sales than their first title's release on Vita.

What's your opinion on this?

• Like 1

(1) Vita is dead and (2) the PS4 has a larger player-base (than PS3 and Vita/combined)... it wouldn't have sold better on Vita, especially in Vita's current state as opposed to its past state when it was vaguely relevant. So then this means GR2 is at least a partial success (2/3 - better than first game, sold better than first game, now just needs to break 1mill sells).

Edited by Mar

4 minutes ago, Mar said:

it wouldn't have sold better on Vita,

Technically, if there was also a Vita release and the Vita version sold just 1 copy, then it would have sold better than just this PS4 release.

And no, I don't think Kuuhaku was implying it should have been a Vita only release.

Didn't we have a thread yesterday on how poorly it sold in the UK?

Not sure what to really make of it's sales. Failure in one region and success in another. Hope that doesn't mean GR3 will be JPN only. Assuming there is a GR3.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Technically, if there was also a Vita release and the Vita version sold just 1 copy, then it would have sold better than just this PS4 release.

And no, I don't think Kuuhaku was implying it should have been a Vita only release.

My point was that it wouldn't have sold better as a Vita exclusive nor that it would have sold better on Vita if it also had a Vita release.

I also was not replying to Kuuhaku, just the general community that constantly claims a Vita version would have done wonders for GR2. When you really do the math, accurately or by estimation, there's no way a Vita version would have done what people are claiming. Probably even a PS3 version of GR2 wouldn't have sold as well as the PS4 version. B)

9 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Didn't we have a thread yesterday on how poorly it sold in the UK?

Yes, but we need a thread for each little region of the world's sales so that we can get the whole picture. If we only had one thread with one areas shitty sales, people would just read the first post, assumed those sales represented everywhere and then there would be no way of getting all the information out there. People wouldn't read the rest of that thread if someone posted contradicting information after the first post.

Also, the thread yesterday was a rumor thread (May have sold...). This is a fact thread.

10 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Yes, but we need a thread for each little region of the world's sales so that we can get the whole picture. If we only had one thread with one areas shitty sales, people would just read the first post, assumed those sales represented everywhere and then there would be no way of getting all the information out there. People wouldn't read the rest of that thread if someone posted contradicting information after the first post.

Also, the thread yesterday was a rumor thread (May have sold...). This is a fact thread.

I'm not saying the topic is pointless. I'm just saying that it's interesting to see such a discrepancy.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mar said:

(1) Vita is dead and (2) the PS4 has a larger player-base (than PS3 and Vita/combined)... it wouldn't have sold better on Vita, especially in Vita's current state as opposed to its past state when it was vaguely relevant.

This is Japan we are talking about.

Please consider topic before making incorrect statements.

If it was shared, it WOULD sell better on Vita in Japan.

If it was Vita-only it WOULD sell better than 75k in Japan.

This is not baseless statement. Literally everything shared (with maybe one or two exceptions at best) sold better on Vita in Japan.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

This is Japan we are talking about.

Please consider topic before making incorrect statements.

If it was shared, it WOULD sell better on Vita in Japan.

If it was Vita-only it WOULD sell better than 75k in Japan.

This is not baseless statement. Literally everything shared (with maybe one or two exceptions at best) sold better on Vita in Japan.

Ok. Your comments are still logical assumptions, not facts though. Is your last comment outdated or actually relevant (at least the last 5years, anything beyond that is outdated)?

2 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Check Gematsu/Siliconera for weekly sale rankings and you can see what I said is a fact.

Technically its not a fact since it hasnt happened :^ ) - GR2 selling better on Vita than PS4 if it was a Vita exc in Japan.

I think this thread and that other GR2 sales thread show that sales data is a complicated thing that most people should ignore.

The days where we had access to all of a game's sales data is over. This is because more people are buying their games digitally and we almost never get all of a games digital sales numbers.

On top of that, things like when the game was released, how much it cost, and what country you are looking at, and what other games were released that day, week, and month can all have an effect on sales.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mar said:

Technically its not a fact since it hasnt happened :^ ) - GR2 selling better on Vita than PS4 if it was a Vita exc in Japan.

Oh, you were talking especially about the hypothetical Vita release.

I was talking about Vita releases globally.

18 hours ago, cjshaitan said:

personally I couldn't imagine having played the first one on vita

Why couldn't you?

5 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Oh, you were talking especially about the hypothetical Vita release.

I was talking about Vita releases globally.

Why couldn't you?

I just found when I played the first one it took me quite a few hours to get the handle of orientation. I really like the movement mechanics but for me personally I need the full TV screen to get my head around it. Not against a Vita version, it's just not for me this time, 

That's encouraging. I hope the global sales are good enough to warrant GR3. I'd hate to see this series die off so soon. Then again, I was pretty surprised we got a sequel haha.

On the Vita: I love my Vita. I easily got my $200 worth and then some! I bought it about 6 months after release and Gravity Rush was the first game I got for it. I was a bit heartbroken at first when Sony began moving on and bringing stuff elsewhere, but I've learned to let it go. After beating this game, I'm glad the series made the jump to PS4. Any bitterness over the lack of a Vita sequel is now gone and I'm excited to see how this series could potentially grow on PS4 (assuming it does continue). I'm glad more people have the opportunity to play this series. I just hope they do haha. Sony putting the original as a Plus game on PS4 should help.

Edited by BrilloHD

9 hours ago, BrilloHD said:

Sony putting the original as a Plus game on PS4 should help.

I hope they do that! Would be sooo awesome and not even that crazy, they could easily give us a game they chashed in two times for now.

And since I bought it on Vita at release, I won't spend another fortune on the first game.

10 hours ago, BrilloHD said:

Sony putting the original as a Plus game on PS4 should help.

14 minutes ago, Schlumpfkiller7 said:

I hope they do that! Would be sooo awesome and not even that crazy, they could easily give us a game they chashed in two times for now.

And since I bought it on Vita at release, I won't spend another fortune on the first game.

The original Vita Gravity Rush was on Plus for two years. I don't know if there's precedent of making a ported version of a prior Plus game on a new months' Plus list. I highly doubt it's gonna happen.

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The original Vita Gravity Rush was on Plus for two years. I don't know if there's precedent of making a ported version of a prior Plus game on a new months' Plus list. I highly doubt it's gonna happen.

Guacamelee was twice on the IGC. Once as the PS3/Vita-version and then as the extended PS4-version (STCE), at least in Europe. But that was a slightly altered version with some new areas, enemies etc. and not a straight port like it was with Gravity Rush (Remastered) so it might be possible to add the "same" game a second time.

30 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Guacamelee was twice on the IGC. Once as the PS3/Vita-version and then as the extended PS4-version (STCE), at least in Europe. But that was a slightly altered version with some new areas, enemies etc. and not a straight port like it was with Gravity Rush (Remastered) so it might be possible to add the "same" game a second time.

Thanks, I knew someone around here would have data like that firing through their neurons. So while there is similar precedent of something like this happening, if Sony were smart, they'd wait a while to see if there's a drop off in sales, then use Plus to drive awareness while putting GR2 on a sale. 

18 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

According to Wikipedia, USA PS+ only got the PS4 version of Guacamelee. Not that I noticed though, because I loved the Vita version so much that I was happy to buy it again on PS4 even though it later arrived as a PS+ freebie. 

Gravity Rush is easily my favorite Vita game, and I am just finishing up the story in GR Remastered so I can start GR2 with the story fresh in my memory. I wanted to get GR2 on Vita, but I am happy that the series is being continued in any form. I don't think there was any way Sony was going to bring a first-party game to Vita in the USA in 2017. At least we have it on PS4.