So...did anyone else like the movie?

Magic_Pumpkin12

I know, I know, the movie the game was based on (even though it was released first, though the game thought players watched the movie first...which I did, as I didn't get a PS4 until August) bombed horribly at the box office. But I enjoyed it nonetheless, to the point that I've got it on Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack, along with a digital copy on iTunes (from said Blu-Ray pack). :D

In all fairness...it probably would've had a bigger success as a direct-to-video movie instead...who knows.

Who else liked it, assuming they did see it? And if you haven't, it's currently on Netflix!

Edited by Magic_Pumpkin12

My mom went with me to it. Though honestly, she was only into the series BECAUSE of the naughty subtitles...she never actually PLAYED them, so she kept asking me who the characters were.

First time in 3D, went a second time in 2D by myself (so I could understand the story better without her asking). Sadly, the theater I went to didn't have anyone else but us.

Edited by Magic_Pumpkin12

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I found no reason to dislike it, it told the story of the game in a convenient movie fashion. I personally played the game first (and I'm glad I did because I'd rather have been spoiled for the movie), and the movie added a lot of "BTS" stuff. I remember a lot of parts that were in the movie that weren't in the game. I guess the movie format allowed for scenes that wouldn't normally fit in a videogame. Nonetheless it was a very solid videogame movie (unlike AC ROFL) and a good animated film. Kinda short but not that big of a deal. I think this movie has appealed to a lot of younger kids who don't game, but would like to play the games in the future. It's an awesome thing really.

I enjoyed the movie very much. It had action,creativity and good animation. It may have been a box office bomb but that doesn't make it a bad movie. I haven't played the new game yet but judging by the movie I'd say the game is going to be very fun. I know the movie is a little different from the game but either way I liked it. If you are a fan of Ratchet and Clank then I recommended seeing this movie.

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 3

On 1/26/2017 at 2:35 AM, Parker said:

I've certainly seen better animated movies (I've seen much worse too) but I took my son to see it and he absolutely loved it. I told him I have the games it was based on at home and he begged me to play them with him. So it made a Ratchet & Clank fan out of my son, if that isn't a success then I don't know what is. B)

Parker

What an awesome story! I nominate you for Father of the Year. :) 

My daughter is a bit too young for the movie (she's almost 3 and doesn't have a movie-length attention span), but I bought the Blu-ray and will watch it with her soon. 

I liked the movie myself. I thought it focused a little too much on the touching/drama side of things compared to the games always being balls-to-the-wall silly. But that was my only real complaint. 

On a related note, I do think it was smart to tweak Ratchet's character in the movie and game. In the original game, he was really a jerk to Clank for a decent chunk of the story and the movie would have needed to spend too much time on his change of heart. Besides, R&C is more fun story-wise when they're best buds. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't watch it in the cinema, but bought the Blu-Ray of it and I actually really liked it. It was always a childhood dream of mine to get a Ratchet & Clank movie and for me this movie delivered. I like the movie's story far more than the game's story, especially when you compare the endings. I like to call the movie Ratchet & Clank: A New Hope, obviously a reference to Star Wars. Solid 7/10 for the movie.

I saw it on Netflix just recently and I thought it was a great movie.  I have been a fan of Ratchet and Clank for awhile and I didn't really see any reason not to like it.  I haven't played the new game yet, but I think the movie did a good job of keeping the theme straight.  I also loved some of the actors that voiced the cast of supporting characters.  Was pleasantly surprised to see Rosario Dawson and John Goodman.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I saw this about three years on Netflix one day when I had nothing else going on and I recall it being an ok film.

I really liked the 2016 reboot / movie tie-in but the original PlayStation 2 title from almost 20 years ago had too much going on that makes the 2016 title inferior despite being well outdated gameplay-wise. The lack of better development between the two title characters is likely my biggest problem with the game, which also appliesfilm. It’s all too easy for them to become friends and there’s little to no disagreement between the duo (eg. In the original, they have an argument after Quark’s betrayal and defeating the Snagglebeast, then again upon arriving Batalia). Even in the game there’s less justification for the title “Ratchet & Clank” as this is the least chemistry I’ve seen in the franchise’s history.

Another problem with the movie isn’t in the movie itself but rather me wishing this wasn’t a Lionsgate production done alongside 3 or 4 animation studios, each with an unpopular catalogue of past projects. Apparently there were plans to make many more video game-based films from iconic PlayStation titles in this manner, the (only) other project known at the time was a Sly Cooper film. Looking back on the available trailer I believe this could’ve been promising but it was cancelled completely as a result of Ratchet & Clank’s critical and commercial failure. Cinematic screening was short-lived as a result, all upcoming sessions at theatres in countries where the film wasn’t released yet were axed completely (My country for example), then film went straight to DVD and Blu-Ray. Writing this in January 2021 It appears Sony hasn’t given up on game/film adaptations completely with the upcoming Uncharted film but I’m highly convinced that problems with Ratchet & Clank could’ve been avoided if Sony used their own studios. Columbia Pictures? TriStar Entertainment? Not even Sony Animation? Apparently not. They would rather sell it cheap to Lionsgate as they instead focus their budget on “The Angry Birds Movie” and “The Emoji Movie”. Uhhhhh...

EDIT: I forgot to mention one big thing that I liked about the film and that was the post-credits with Dr. Nefarious’s “origins” of becoming a robot. It’s so much like the Sonic The Hedgehog movie with Jim Carrey’s Dr. Robotnik in the Mushroom Dimension, I wonder if the writers of that film watched Ratchet & Clank and decided to do that with their’s.

Edited by Slim Vanilla