Obligatory Corrupted Memory Card?

MooseSketts

Last night I was having an issue with My Singing Monsters.  I was unable to breed any monsters.  My game would freeze and I would get an error message (I don’t recall the number, but it had to do with corrupted data).  I tried another game called Sparkle and, while I was able to play the game, I got a strange error message (more like code) which was something along the lines of “sce_apputil_data_data_save” with an 8-digit number after it starting with an “8” and a “0”.  I failed the level just to see what would happen when the game advanced and it was thanking me for playing the TRIAL version of the game and I needed to buy it.  Naturally, I closed the game and then chaos ensued.

None of my downloaded games would open.  The error messages I received from them were random, but they were one of these error codes:

C1-2741-4
C1-2752-6
C1-2760-5
Until finally all downloaded games gave me the error code C0-11474-7, which told me that the applications could not be opened and I needed to re-download from the PS Store.

I decided to restart my PS Vita.  It would not get past the black screen with the PS logo.  I started it in Safe Mode and clicked the first option to restart the system.  It took a while before anything happened and when it did, the Vita was telling me it was updating the database.  When I finally got to my home screen all of my downloaded games were deleted and the only game file that remained was my cartridge game.  I tested the cartridge game and my saved data was gone.  

At this point, since I had nothing to lose, I reformatted my Vita system.  I had no errors.  When I went to reformat my memory card (which is a 64GB) I got error codes C2-12497-3 and C2-12828-1.  I also noticed that the Vita’s start up time was extremely slow with the memory card in.  I turned off the system, removed the memory card, and the system started quickly.  I turned off the system, put the memory card back in, and tried to restore my backed up files, but I got the C2-12828-1 error.  Again, I cycled power making sure to remove the memory card before turning on the system and I managed to get my backup of Sparkle to my Vita with no problems; however, the game gave me the “sce_appdata…” error again.  With that, I formatted the internal memory card without any issues and restored my Vita with a backup I had made prior to putting in the 64GB memory card.  At the moment, everything is working fine now.  

Has this happened to anyone else?  Did all this happen because my external memory card magically became corrupted (and a majority of the error codes relate to corruption)?  If that’s the case, which memory card should I buy now?  I’m not purchasing another 64GB considering I’ve literally had it in my vita for less than a month and it croaked.

My first 64GB card went berserk in the second week after I received it. It started corrupting saves, and reformating didn't solve. I had to exchange it. Had bouhg it on Amazon (DE I think), they exchanged for a new one and this one went fine. If you bought it less than a month try to get it exchanged. Unless you bought it from an ebay private seller or similar and you'll probably have to buy another one.

• Like 1

That's an awful thing to hear about :(    Not much time having a 64GB card and it gets corrupted like out of nowhere , that's truly unlucky imo . If you can get a refund or exchange for your card form where you bought , that will be a great solution for your problem , if not so tyou'll eventually have to get a new one unfortunately.  I bought my 32 GB Vita card recently and received it in the mail on Tuesday ,  i boot it up and started downloading my digital games on it so i hope that misfortune doesn't happen to my card. Wish you best of luck and hope that you can get a new card soon . Cheers :wave:

I figured I'm going to have to buy another one because the person who gave it to me (Christmas present) bought it from ebay.  But it's reassuring (and horrible) that yours went crazy, too. 

Just now, Sigma999 said:

That's an awful thing to hear about :(    Not much time having a 64GB card and it gets corrupted like out of nowhere , that's truly unlucky imo . If you can get a refund or exchange for your card form where you bought , that will be a great solution for your problem , if not so tyou'll eventually have to get a new one unfortunately.  I bought my 32 GB Vita card recently and received it in the mail on Tuesday ,  i boot it up and started downloading my digital games on it so i hope that misfortune doesn't happen to my card. Wish you best of luck and hope that you can get a new card soon . Cheers :wave:

Lol, yeah, well I haven't had the best of luck it seems with some of the games I got on my Vita, so I suppose the somewhat next logical step is being unlucky with the memory card.  Where did you get your 32GB memory card?  Ebay?

• Like 1

I got used it from another guy on a site of used stuff people post online to seel and buy here in my country , not ebay neither amazon cause it's mostly used stuff . As of now , the card is perfectly fine , i just format it and boot it up with my account and ready to go .

32GB and 64GB cards are much more problematic than smaller ones. We have a few in the family and some minor and major issues have arisen in all. Rebuild the database once a month and be careful with games that have tons of files and DLCs (like LBP) are the best preventive medicine. These later games do have more probabilities to become corrupt. I stopped installing DLC on LBP on my 64 GB card, but on the 4GB I have with my boosting account it gives no troubles at all with several DLC. Boosting one of the online trophies in Modnation Racers is also a sure way to corrupt the card and have to erase it. Also if you have something corrupt play safe, backup game saves, reformat and install. It will spread to the other games. Vita file system sucks.

12 hours ago, cris3f said:

32GB and 64GB cards are much more problematic than smaller ones. We have a few in the family and some minor and major issues have arisen in all. Rebuild the database once a month and be careful with games that have tons of files and DLCs (like LBP) are the best preventive medicine. These later games do have more probabilities to become corrupt. I stopped installing DLC on LBP on my 64 GB card, but on the 4GB I have with my boosting account it gives no troubles at all with several DLC. Boosting one of the online trophies in Modnation Racers is also a sure way to corrupt the card and have to erase it. Also if you have something corrupt play safe, backup game saves, reformat and install. It will spread to the other games. Vita file system sucks.

Holy shit...  Lol.  Well this certainly will help me make my decision.  And yes as I have witnessed first hand the file system does suck.  I thought I had done my homework before buying my Vita, but apparently I missed some stuff.

14 hours ago, Sigma999 said:

I got used it from another guy on a site of used stuff people post online to seel and buy here in my country , not ebay neither amazon cause it's mostly used stuff . As of now , the card is perfectly fine , i just format it and boot it up with my account and ready to go .

11 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I have a 32gb in my Vita and a 16gb in my PSTV, both pretty much from launch. No issues with either 

Ah, thanks for your responses.  Glad to hear that your cards are working.  Perhaps I will think about getting a 16GB rather than a 32GB.

4 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I was reading carefully until I got to the 64GB part.

Yep, it's dead. 64GB cards are the most prone to failing.

32GB is the best one. Never had any problems with it after almost 4 years of usage (real usage xD)

I know it was a lot of information.  May I ask where you got your 32GB from?  Like, did you get it from ebay or Amazon?

4 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

That's good to hear. I bought the 16GB memory card, and I will lose my shit if that overpriced turd corrupts on me.

I mildly lost my shit when mine corrupted lol.  Thankfully, "past" me wasn't an idiot and I backed up my stuff prior to putting in the memory card, so catching up on the games that got screwed up will not be too much of a problem.

• Like 1

64GB cards have high risk of failing, unless you have Japanese Vita as western Vitas don't support it.

Edit: So all cards that are marketed in west should be save bet, I've yet to hear someone corrupting supported sizes with normal use.

Edit2: According to cris3f it's not firmware thing, but just 64GB trait. Go figure. :/

Edited by theJJ88
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, theJJ88 said:

64GB cards have high risk of failing, unless you have Japanese Vita as western Vitas don't support it.

Edit: So all cards that are marketed in west should be save bet, I've yet to hear someone corrupting supported sizes with normal use.

All Vitas are equal, even the firmware is the same worldwide. 64GB were not sold in Europe for marketing reasons, and 32 GB were only available in miserable numbers as they probably thought they wouldn't sell. In current market conditions (majority of games digital only) they would.

1 hour ago, MooseSketts said:

I know it was a lot of information.  May I ask where you got your 32GB from?  Like, did you get it from ebay or Amazon?

In Europe I would buy them from Amazon (not a marketplace seller) as they will probably honor guarantee for the 2 years. However I do think it's been a while since they sell either 32 or 64 GB cards themselves. Check the US Amazon, I don't know their policies but probably for a least a year you've got some protection. On eBay getting support from the seller later isn't easy, even if it's a professional one.

Update: According to camelcamel Amazon US never stocked themselves 64GB cards (usual, not sold by Sony US). And 32GB ones, they sold them last around March 2016. Amazon JP sells both, they now have english support, so that is probably a good place. And they will tell you their warranty policies. On an expensive item like this a warranty is always a good thing.

59 minutes ago, cris3f said:

All Vitas are equal, even the firmware is the same worldwide. 64GB were not sold in Europe for marketing reasons, and 32 GB were only available in miserable numbers as they probably thought they wouldn't sell. In current market conditions (majority of games digital only) they would.

My bad, I totally was under impression it was firmware thing.

On 26.1.2017 at 10:21 PM, MooseSketts said:

which is a 64GB

Yeah. The 64GB cards are crap. Mine bricked too after a year...

I got a 32GB from a Japanese store on eBay. Cost around the same as a 16GB card in Europe, had free shipping, no import fees.

Edited by Neputyunu

Got no problems of 32gb for my vita where I recommend it to everyone on who is looking on wanting to get a better gb card than 62gb. 

Most likely 62 gb cards tend to fail is because the gb is only for Japan and using a Japanese vita sounds better to use than buying an imported memory card stick. You have to use the appropriate stick that you use on your vita in order to prevent data being corrupted. Would be so much wise to people would know better and see the differences and recommend goid advices than getting bad ones like this to everyone. 

Edited by Superstarmaste1r

45 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

On more serious note, Japan has more versions of Vita, afaik they have 2XX something which we never got.

Are there any actual benefits to these newer versions? I'm seriously considering importing a Vita from Japan. Preferably that Danganronpa V3 one if I knew where to find it.

6 minutes ago, Neputyunu said:

Yeah. The 64GB cards are crap. Mine bricked too after a year...

I've had my 64GB card for over two years at this point and it's still going strong. I've been using it a lot too.

34 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

That is not exactly true. Japanese Vitas are cuter and more durable because they are being used as they should be, for playing Japanese games :awesome:

On the cuter you're totally correct I would love to have a 1000 in red or blue. Even better one of the special editions, like the Final Fantasy, Hatsune Miku, Soul Sacrifice and Persona 4 Dancing All Night. :) I had a chance to buy an almost new red one in ebay UK from an ex-Sony employee, still regret I didn't and price was reasonable. :(

I already contacted Amazon JP they don't sell to Europe VIta hardware and don't give support to these products outside Japan. Bought one of mine in nippon-yasan but their shipping is expensive.

3 hours ago, cris3f said:

Update: According to camelcamel Amazon US never stocked themselves 64GB cards (usual, not sold by Sony US). And 32GB ones, they sold them last around March 2016. Amazon JP sells both, they now have english support, so that is probably a good place. And they will tell you their warranty policies. On an expensive item like this a warranty is always a good thing.

Even though the memory card was a gift I know the person who got it for me got it from a Japanese seller on ebay (because I sought it out and told the person the link).  I was looking on Amazon US a few hours ago and it seemed like all the 32 GB cards that are new (not even gonna bother with used ones) are all in Japan... lol.  Not that it's a bad thing.  But I think I'm gonna try and find something in the US rather than Japan.

5 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

Got no problems of 32gb for my vita where I recommend it to everyone on who is looking on wanting to get a better gb card than 62gb

...62GB?  I thought the increments were 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64.  And the 64 is apparently shit. 

18 minutes ago, Superstarmaste1r said:

Most likely 62 gb cards tend to fail is because the gb is only for Japan and using a Japanese vita sounds better to use than buying an imported memory card stick. You have to use the appropriate stick that you use on your vita in order to prevent data being corrupted. Would be so much wise to people would know better and see the differences and recommend goid advices than getting bad ones like this to everyone. 

I believe my Vita came from Japan, so.. wouldn't that make it a Japan Vita?  In any case, for some reason, I was under the impression before I even bought the 64GB memory card that the cards were universal.  As in, they worked on any system from any region.

14 minutes ago, MooseSketts said:

Even though the memory card was a gift I know the person who got it for me got it from a Japanese seller on ebay (because I sought it out and told the person the link).  I was looking on Amazon US a few hours ago and it seemed like all the 32 GB cards that are new (not even gonna bother with used ones) are all in Japan... lol.  Not that it's a bad thing.  But I think I'm gonna try and find something in the US rather than Japan.

...62GB?  I thought the increments were 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64.  And the 64 is apparently shit. 

I believe my Vita came from Japan, so.. wouldn't that make it a Japan Vita?  In any case, for some reason, I was under the impression before I even bought the 64GB memory card that the cards were universal.  As in, they worked on any system from any region.

They do work on any vita, but the 64 gig card is notorious for bricking vitas. Use at your own discretion

• Like 1

Ive never had any issues with my 8gb, 32gb and 64gb cards

I upgraded my 8 to a 32..and then soon after sold my 32 when I got a 64..I've had my 64gb card inside of my vita for well over 3 years now and  I've never had a single problem with it..I imported it brand New from Japan through playasia.com 

You guys just have dumb luck I suppose

And also, keep in mind..when items are mass produced..sometimes you get a finniky product