PS4 upgrading as it relates to trophy progress.

SarcalogosVermis

Hi all, I will be upgrading my PS4 with a 2tb hard drive later on tomorrow, and have just finished backing up the files and save data. However, there are some things I am not clear on, so I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on the following:

1. Does backing up the hard drive include all game content, including latest patches and DLC? I would rather not have to download these all over again.

2. Is the trophy data that is saved onto the PS4 (which you can view by disconnecting from the internet) also backed up? I ask because currently I have about 10% progress on GTA V, and I don't know if upgrading the PS4 will somehow interfere with trophy progress, Say for instance I didn't back up my game data (but retained my save files), reinstalled the disc from scratch on upgrading and then signed into PSN. The trophies I had previously earned would still be on my profile but I'm guessing would not exist on the console itself since it had been formatted, so would that lock me out of a platinum?

I did have a quick look for topics with similar concerns, but didn't come across any, so sorry if I missed something quite blatant. Thanks for any help!

Edited by SarcalogosVermis
Changed 'synced my trophies' to 'signed into PSN'. It's late and I'm tired.

6 minutes ago, SarcalogosVermis said:

Hi all, I will be upgrading my PS4 with a 2tb hard drive later on tomorrow, and have just finished backing up the files and save data. However, there are some things I am not clear on, so I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on the following:

1. Does backing up the hard drive include all game content, including latest patches and DLC? I would rather not have to download these all over again.

2. Is the trophy data that is saved onto the PS4 (which you can view by disconnecting from the internet) also backed up? I ask because currently I have about 10% progress on GTA V, and I don't know if upgrading the PS4 will somehow interfere with trophy progress, Say for instance I didn't back up my game data (but retained my save files), reinstalled the disc from scratch on upgrading and then signed into PSN. The trophies I had previously earned would still be on my profile but I'm guessing would not exist on the console itself since it had been formatted, so would that lock me out of a platinum?

I did have a quick look for topics with similar concerns, but didn't come across any, so sorry if I missed something quite blatant. Thanks for any help!

1. Pretty sure backing up will only save your save data, capture files and things like that. I think you have to download the games and patches again. They have the ability to transfer all your games, DLC and patches over but it has to be done across 1 PS4 to another PS4 and not a back up situation. 

2. As long as you sync your trophies on your profile, they should transfer over just fine and I don't see you having any issue with GTA 5. 

1. Depends on the options you selected when choosing to back-up. There is an option to do an all data backup, which will catch DLC & patches, or you can just do a save-data/capture gallery backup. The check-boxes should be in the back-up menus.

2. Just make sure that you make your backup and sync your trophies before you actually pull the HDD out of the PS4, and everything should be fine. The only way you could lock yourself out of a platinum might possibly be if you had unsynced trophies on your PS4. However, you should still be able to earn these on a new PT - they wouldn't be completely unobtainable. 

I bought a 2 TB drive from somebody who sold his products off of Amazon. When I first got my Playstation 4 it came with the stock 500 GB drive, that wasn't enough.

Had to redownload all digital games and patches when I moved everything over a year and a half ago. But I must say it's definitely worth it. I have over 1 TB worth of games, save files and videos, whereas with the stock 500 GB drive I would have constantly had to delete and move files over which is a big hassle.

8 hours ago, SarcalogosVermis said:

1. As the others said i think You can carry over without problems Saves and this kind of stuff but games and Patches are to Download all over again but maybe you can copy even that since after all is still on the Hard disk, it will just be a long thing i suppose!!!

2. The Trophies, Percentage and everythign releated to that is based on PSN Servers so it doens't matter if you change game or Disc of the game or anything, it will rest so and updatings as soon, as always, as you get a Trophy, if you're offline it just get updates on your Profile there on Ps4 but it won't be reseted or Have any probelm ;) If somehting like your example happens simply play again until getting some new Trophies if you do what you already have you just won't get the Trophy again since you've already it, but that's for every game even if you lose a Save in general. So Don't worry just change without problems :)

Hope i've been Understandable and didn't make a mess :P

Hey everyone, thanks for your responses. Right now I have a new problem. I've taken out the original HDD and replaced it with the new 2tb one - it's a Seagate Backup Plus Slim, which is virtually identical to the original as far as I can tell - and I'm getting error message CE-34335-8 on startup (the PS4 cannot access the system storage). I've tried taking it out and reinstalling it again, no luck. So I put the original back in and still getting the same message! This is frustrating. 

I've looked at a few videos on Youtube which stress the importance of the screw. Well that is not a problem, but my PS4 is model CUH-1216A, unlike those in the videos I've seen which tend to be the original models with the shiny cover. Any tips please?

1 hour ago, SarcalogosVermis said:

Hey everyone, thanks for your responses. Right now I have a new problem. I've taken out the original HDD and replaced it with the new 2tb one - it's a Seagate Backup Plus Slim, which is virtually identical to the original as far as I can tell - and I'm getting error message CE-34335-8 on startup (the PS4 cannot access the system storage). I've tried taking it out and reinstalling it again, no luck. So I put the original back in and still getting the same message! This is frustrating. 

I've looked at a few videos on Youtube which stress the importance of the screw. Well that is not a problem, but my PS4 is model CUH-1216A, unlike those in the videos I've seen which tend to be the original models with the shiny cover. Any tips please?

Make sure your getting the right firmware.

13 minutes ago, SarcalogosVermis said:

The problem is I'm not even getting to install the firmware, as soon as I turn the PS4 on into safe mode I'm getting the error message come up.

I like to say sorry first in case you are offended by this but are you sure you push the hdd all the way in. Make sure it is completely seated in, nice and tight. You be surprised how many just gently put it in her like it would break.

Edit. Why i suggested it might be not all the way in because theres no reason why your old one dont boot up either.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

Ok, so I'm unclear on just how this thing is supposed to connect. As previously stated, I have the CUH-1216A model, so for starters the disk tray is different from the original models. In the older models you can see the drive as it goes in, but on my model its flipped so you're looking at the external part of the tray with the drive underneath, if that makes sense. I push the tray in as far as it will go and I don't hear or feel any sort of clicking to suggest the connectors have met, and I sure as hell can't see if they have. Question being, do they have to click, or should inserting the tray bring them into contact naturally (i.e. the connectors 'rest' on each other rather than one being inserted into the other). Sorry for my obvious ignorance with all things technical haha, I hope people understand what I mean.