Deus Ex placed on hiatus as focus shifts to Tomb Raider and Marvel

madbuk

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

There won't be another big Deus Ex game in the foreseeable future.

Square Enix's shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year's Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus, Eurogamer understands.

This, despite Mankind Divided leaving the series with a number of hanging story threads. These plot points were intended to be resolved in a third game, which would also complete the trilogy of Deus Ex titles begun by predecessor Human Revolution.

Much of this remaining story was once intended for Mankind Divided, Eurogamer has heard, until the game grew too large in scope and had to be curtailed. (Even with this, Mankind Divided's development took five years). It's unclear if this untold story will now be left unresolved - or tied up in another medium, such as a graphic novel.

The bulk of Deux Ex studio Eidos Montreal is currently at work on the next Tomb Raider, the existence of which leaked online last November when someone left a "Shadows of the Tomb Raider" PowerPoint presentation open on the Montreal subway. There's no word yet on when this might launch.

Personally, I've never played Deus Ex (thought about getting Human Revolution multiple times on sale, but my experience with first person stealth from Metro put me off), but it's always sad to see a franchise do poorly. Especially if the story is going to be left unfinished...

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Personally, I've never played Deus Ex (thought about getting Human Revolution multiple times on sale, but my experience with first person stealth from Metro put me off), but it's always sad to see a franchise do poorly. Especially if the story is going to be left unfinished...

Never played Deus Ex series, but can't wait for the Avengers project and the third Tomb Raider game! :D

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

Human Revolution is excellent. I didn't think the story was unfinished at all (although the choices to get endings were kind of lame). I really should get Mankind Divided. 

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously?? Damn... foreseeable future probably won't be until the year the actual game takes place, haha. 

It's always a shame when publishers put a halt on a franchise due to "shifting focuses" and then the story never gets a proper conclusion, especially something as good as Deus Ex. At least there's some new dlc that's dropped recently, though one is just for Breach.

Edited by Zombie-Valentine